Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone hear what Gary Pinkel said about AR?

Started by LRrazorback, July 16, 2014, 11:29:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LRrazorback

Heard a small shot was fired directed towards CBB.

BorderPatrol

Fayettechill14

Said that Bielema's argument about safety concerns in pace of play was "fiction" although he didn't mention Bielema specifically. Basically called him a liar.

Killean

I would take the word of a drunk driver when it comes to safety.  Obviously he cares.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Beavthompson

Was his speeches slurred? Was he a bit wobbly at the podium? Anybody ask him about DGB.
Say no to drunk posts! Unless its a great idea!

Hawgzinbowlz

Give us some locker room material, Gary. The helicoptering drunk.

" GO HOGS "

hogsanity

Guess that means he thinks Saban is a liar too.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dr. Starcs

That "shot" pales in comparison to the shots fired on hogville at CBB.

rohnjobus

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Hogarusa

Quote from: rohnjobus on July 16, 2014, 12:15:29 pm
Really nice comments from a coach who had a player die during his off season conditioning program.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2006-07-11-oneal-remembered_x.htm

Wow, thats quite a stretch and a low blow.  You know that death and hurry up offenses are in no relation to each other.

Arkansas Fan

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: hogsanity on July 16, 2014, 11:48:40 am

Pinkel isn't too drunk to know Bielema is a safer target than Saban, for now anyway.  It's risky to play down player safety though even if Bret might be exaggerating a bit.

cosmodrum

Gary Pinkel will be heading to dinner by the third quarter of our game. Some TA will be calling plays after that. They are going to completely destroy us. Mauk will throw for as much as they want. It's a sad time in our program when it is a foregone conclusion that we will get destroyed by friggin Missouri.
Go away, batin'

Dropkick

Pinkel is a drunk driver, that has been documented. It remains to be seen how CBB will turn out here.

forrest city joe

Saban is a Liar. i wish coach B would just drop this. get good enough to stop Pinkle, Gus and others.

Hogarusa

Here's the quote: "I think [the pace of play talk] is all fiction. I've never had a trainer or doctor tell me it's unsafe."

Its not a shot at Arkansas and its a stretch to say its a shot at Bielema.  He just doesnt agree, many people don't.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: lowberh on July 16, 2014, 12:24:20 pm
Here's the quote: "I think [the pace of play talk] is all fiction. I've never had a trainer or doctor tell me it's unsafe."

Its not a shot at Arkansas and its a stretch to say its a shot at Bielema.  He just doesnt agree, many people don't.

Yeah, but it's hogville so people have to say he was talking about Beliema. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

forrest city joe

July 16, 2014, 12:28:02 pm #18 Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:03:32 pm by forrest city joe

Agreed. he is talking about any coach who is trying to get the fast pace offense stopped by new rules, instead of on the field.

The Hogfather

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 16, 2014, 12:23:09 pm
Saban is a Liar. i wish coach B would just drop this. get good enough to stop Gus and others.

I hope he doesn't.  It is common sense that more plays = more chances for injury/death.

With that said, I just don't like the way the game is going.  I don't like the hold the other team hostage until they try to substitute and then "catch them".  It is not football.

Locutus_of_Boar

Saban is a Liar. i wish coach B would just drop this. get good enough to stop Gus and others.

Bielema took the wrong tack in emphasizing player safety because he wanted to have the recruiting benefit as a player's coach.  Fundamentally he and Saban are on the right track though.  The game as out of balance and the PTB will tweak the rules eventually.  Mostly this will happen because the SEC will realize the conference's competitive advantage is reduced the less import defense is to the game.

The Hogfather

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 16, 2014, 12:28:02 pm
Agreed. he is talking about any coach who is trying to get the face pace offense stopped by new rules, instead of on the field.

It would actually be old rules.  If they'd just go back to a 25-second play clock, everything would be great.  Offenses just wouldn't be able to hold defenses hostage, which is idiotic anyway.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on July 16, 2014, 12:29:55 pm
Fundamentally he and Saban are on the right track though.  The game as out of balance and the PTB will tweak the rules eventually.  Mostly this will happen because the SEC will realize the conference's competitive advantage is reduced the less import defense is to the game.

Precisely

Paul

bigbadhog

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 16, 2014, 12:28:02 pm
Agreed. he is talking about any coach who is trying to get the face pace offense stopped by new rules, instead of on the field.

Exactly, it is a ridiculous argument.  Just call a spade a spade...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

The Hogfather

Quote from: bigbadhog on July 16, 2014, 12:34:11 pm
Exactly, it is a ridiculous argument.  Just call a spade a spade...

Actually, it isn't.  It is completely legitimate.  The problem is, it seems like he's just doing it for personal gain.  He isn't, though.

PygmalionEffect

Wonder if that is the same trainer that ignored Missouri player Aaron O'Neal's complaints of blurred vision and balance problems during a summer workout, telling other players "not to baby him" minutes before he collapsed and eventually died two hours later?

Pinkel needs to understand he has no credibility when it comes to player safety, no one cares what he thinks, other than to do the opposite of it.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

bigbadhog

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 16, 2014, 12:31:25 pm
It would actually be old rules.  If they'd just go back to a 25-second play clock, everything would be great.  Offenses just wouldn't be able to hold defenses hostage, which is idiotic anyway.

It is not idiotic.  Whoever has the ball should be able to control the game & clock.  Both teams get to go on offense, ya know...

bigbadhog

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 16, 2014, 12:36:02 pm
Actually, it isn't.  It is completely legitimate.  The problem is, it seems like he's just doing it for personal gain.  He isn't, though.

I don't believe that for one second...

nextlevel

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on July 16, 2014, 12:36:21 pm
Wonder if that is the same trainer that ignored Missouri player Aaron O'Neal's complaints of blurred vision and balance problems during a summer workout, telling other players "not to baby him" minutes before he collapsed and eventually died two hours later?

Pinkel needs to understand he has no credibility when it comes to player safety, no one cares what he thinks, other than to do the opposite of it.

It would be like asking Brian Kelly if its safe to be in a scissor lift on a very windy day...
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Dr. Starcs

Or asking James Franklin if the showers are now safe at happy valley.

The Hogfather

Quote from: bigbadhog on July 16, 2014, 12:36:41 pm
It is not idiotic.  Whoever has the ball should be able to control the game & clock.  Both teams get to go on offense, ya know...

Really?  Since when?  I think it is idiotic that an offense can hold players hostage.  I want to see coaches and personnel going at it.  I don't want this to become a game where all you have to do is catch someone out of position before a snap or running off the field, etc.  I want to see a full offense going against a full defense (with players that the defensive coordinator wants on the field for a particular snap).  Of course there are going to be mistakes by the defense lining up wrong and having the wrong personnel on the field.  However, it won't be because some offense rushed up to the line after a snap, so they can "catch" the other team out of position, so they can have a RB run through a 40-yard wide hole.  I don't understand why everyone thinks that is fun.  Why do so many people want to see touch football games where games end with scores of 212-200?

The Hogfather

Quote from: bigbadhog on July 16, 2014, 12:37:35 pm
I don't believe that for one second...

I believe that you don't beleive that for one second...

nextlevel

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 16, 2014, 12:47:05 pm
Really?  Since when?  I think it is idiotic that an offense can hold players hostage.  I want to see coaches and personnel going at it.  I don't want this to become a game where all you have to do is catch someone out of position before a snap or running off the field, etc.  I want to see a full offense going against a full defense (with players that the defensive coordinator wants on the field for a particular snap).  Of course there are going to be mistakes by the defense lining up wrong and having the wrong personnel on the field.  However, it won't be because some offense rushed up to the line after a snap, so they can "catch" the other team out of position, so they can have a RB run through a 40-yard wide hole.  I don't understand why everyone thinks that is fun.  Why do so many people want to see touch football games where games end with scores of 212-200?

Basically you are wanting a strategic game, similar to chess, like it was for 135 years or so years.

Others want a mind numbing simple game, like checkers.
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

BorderPatrol

Saban is a Liar. i wish coach B would just drop this. get good enough to stop Pinkle, Gus and others.

Two things:

1. CBB did not bring this up.

2. Weren't you the one calling folks out for "trashing" opposing coaches?

bp

bigbadhog

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 16, 2014, 12:47:05 pm

The game has evolved whether you like it or not.  I am an old dude and I have no problem with the game today...

The Hogfather

Quote from: nextlevel on July 16, 2014, 12:50:48 pm
Basically you are wanting a strategic game, similar to chess, like it was for 135 years or so years.

Exactly.  I just hope we start to see some guys faking injuries more often and having their helmets "accidentally" come off, so they have to leave the field.  It will be frustrating in the short term, but long term, it will mean good things for the game of football.

The Hogfather

Quote from: bigbadhog on July 16, 2014, 12:53:01 pm
The game has evolved whether you like it or not.  I am an old dude and I have no problem with the game today...

I think it has devolved.  I think it will swing back the other way soo.  I truly hope so, anyway, for the good of the game.

Sounds like you want Football to become Futbol.

nextlevel

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 16, 2014, 12:53:14 pm
Exactly.  I just hope we start to see some guys faking injuries more often and having their helmets "accidentally" come off, so they have to leave the field.  It will be frustrating in the short term, but long term, it will mean good things for the game of football.

But then you will have guys like bigbadhog whining about it and wanting the rules changed to penalize teams who take cheap outs like faking an injury or having their helmet come off to slow the game.

That strategy is perfectly legal in the rules and should be exploited.

ell oh ell

bigbadhog

I am not a huge Gus fan but chess-like strategy is what has gotten him where he is...

Fayettechill14

Yep. HUNH supporters want the winner to be the team with the most organized sideline. A part of the game that should be insignificant is now dominant.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: bigbadhog on July 16, 2014, 12:55:58 pm
I am not a huge Gus fan but chess-like strategy is what has gotten him where he is...

Mostly, yes. He's a good coach even without all the HUNH stuff. He'd do just fine if the 2008 playclock rule was repealed. That doesn't change his offense's odd advantage via the clock.

bigbadhog

Quote from: nextlevel on July 16, 2014, 12:55:31 pm
But then you will have guys like bigbadhog whining about it and wanting the rules changed to penalize teams who take cheap outs like faking an injury or having their helmet come off to slow the game.

That strategy is perfectly legal in the rules and should be exploited.

So is HUNH but our coach will never utilize it to try to gain advantages that he claims other coaches get.  It is legitimate and should be exploited...

The Hogfather

Quote from: bigbadhog on July 16, 2014, 12:55:58 pm

It isn't chess to run up to the line as quickly as you can and run the same play 8 times in a row.

nextlevel

Quote from: bigbadhog on July 16, 2014, 12:57:51 pm
So is HUNH but our coach will never utilize it to try to gain advantages that he claims other coaches get.  It is legitimate and should be exploited...

So your big complaint is the HUNH isn't ran.

You claim to be an older guy.

I bet you loved the wishbone.

ell oh ell

BorderPatrol

Quote from: bigbadhog on July 16, 2014, 12:57:51 pm

You got to be kidding, right?

bp

Hogwild

I feel most people think that about him.

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 16, 2014, 12:53:14 pm

Makes sense.  To me, that is the defensive equivalent to the offense running up to the line of scrimmage and then standing there for 30 seconds while the coach gets the play in to them.

We'll just continue to turn this into a game of who can continue to twist the rules to their advantage.

It's no coincidence that the only coach to get caught red-handed faking an injury in order to stop the opposing offense from snapping the ball last year, was a guy that coaches the HUNH.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

bigbadhog

Quote from: nextlevel on July 16, 2014, 12:59:11 pm
So your big complaint is the HUNH isn't ran.

You claim to be an older guy.

I bet you loved the wishbone.

Hated the wishbone.  See the Miami bloodbath in LR in 1987?  That is what the wishbone got you when you played a good team.  The Texas losses in 1985 and 1987 are also good examples...

The_Iceman

Quote from: Killean on July 16, 2014, 11:35:40 am
I would take the word of a drunk driver when it comes to safety.  Obviously he cares.

You Win! +1