Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bob Holt

Started by azhog10, July 16, 2014, 09:10:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

azhog10

Did anyone notice that Bob Holt is one of top clips on ESPN Sportscenter? His question asking Kevin Sumlin about what it's like to "not" coach Johnny Manziel. I know arkansas has some good and bad media guys. But man, some of Bob's questions always leave me scratching my head.......

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on July 16, 2014, 09:10:48 am
Did anyone notice that Bob Holt is one of top clips on ESPN Sportscenter? His question asking Kevin Sumlin about what it's like to "not" coach Johnny Manziel. I know arkansas has some good and bad media guys. But man, some of Bob's questions always leave me scratching my head.......

I have not ween the context of the question.  Was it in the line of Manziel did not listen to Sumlin, so Sumlin did not coach him?  OR was it about the fact that Sumlin is having to coach differently without Manziel back there to run around and turn busted plays into big plays?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  1h

Meet Bob Holt, the most curious reporter at SEC Media Days and reluctant cult hero http://ow.ly/zdUzL
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

KY Hog Man

Quote from: hogsanity on July 16, 2014, 09:50:57 am
I have not ween the context of the question.  Was it in the line of Manziel did not listen to Sumlin, so Sumlin did not coach him?  OR was it about the fact that Sumlin is having to coach differently without Manziel back there to run around and turn busted plays into big plays?

The context of the question was exactly how the OP put it.  "How is it to not coach Manziel?"  I'm hoping someone put him up to it, anyway it was a pretty stupid thing to waist your one question on.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: KY Hog Man on July 16, 2014, 09:56:22 am
The context of the question was exactly how the OP put it.  "How is it to not coach Manziel?"  I'm hoping someone put him up to it, anyway it was a pretty stupid thing to waist your one question on.

One question? For Bob, that'd be a record. I'm sure he asked far more than that. Anyway, his response:

Quote"I wasn't embarrassed," he said with a shrug. "And I thought he gave a great answer ... I guess I was asking what's it like not to have him on your team. What's it like to lose a star? He clearly doesn't want to talk about Manziel anymore, but I thought it was a legitimate question. After he went over all the rigmarole, he gave a good answer."
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hoglady

Quote from: jbcarol on July 16, 2014, 09:51:40 am

Meet Bob Holt, the most curious reporter at SEC Media Days and reluctant cult hero http://ow.ly/zdUzL

Great article thanks- for posting.
Most of all it put the Sumlin question in context,
Holt asked "what's it like to not coach Manziel?" "Do you miss him?"
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

azhog10

Pretty sure reporters don't get just one question. I believe bob asked two or three when Gus was on the podium. I was watching the sportscenter highlights and heard the voice of the guy asking the question, realized it was Bob, and the look on Sumlin's face was priceless. I said to myself "that's arkansas media for you".

Fayettechill14

Oh, Bob never just asks one question. Read the linked article.

I thought it was a good question. People complain when SEC Media Days is boring, so I think a good stimulating question is just fine.

Inhogswetrust

I'm not surprised of any question Bob would ask. Bob is a really nice guy. Everyone that has worked with him will say so.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RazorPiggie

Gus was getting pissed at Bob. I found it funny.

FaytownHog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on July 16, 2014, 01:49:43 pm
Gus was getting pissed at Bob. I found it funny.
That's what Bob does best! He doesn't even care if anyone else cares. If he finds it interesting or funny, he'll ask it. You should go back to some of the questions he fired at Hootie when he was coaching for Ole Miss. It was some pretty funny stuff and ole Bob doesn't back down either! Good reporter IMO! Only one to make the coaches think outside of their canned coach speak responses and that's what you want!

HogInFlorida

He asked gus about 37 questions during his press conference
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

Hogvillage Idiot

I didn't catch this as it happened.  But later when ESPN interviewed Sumlin, they all laughed about the reporter that asked that particiular question.  I thought to myself then that I hope it wasn't an Arkansas reporter.
"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."

Jack Kemp

Hogpkins

Yeah I think they laughed because they know Bob and he's notorious for entertaining questions.

Boardon Hamsay

Good read. Thanks!
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Ray Piggers

That is awesome!

I'm basically Darkwing Duck

Hoggish1

The answer is:  Now I'll have to coach...

go hogues

Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Inhogswetrust

A little late..............................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

FaytownHog

Quote from: Shoatysmalls on July 16, 2014, 08:36:33 pm
Yeah I think they laughed because they know Bob and he's notorious for entertaining questions.
Exactly.

Mike Irwin

You can't be serious. It was perfect. Sumlin was dodging Manziel questions left and right. It was like Manziel never existed. A question like that is what you ask when a coach refuses to talk about a subject that every reporter in the room wants that coach to discuss.

Some of you don't get it. We don't ask questions because of how they sound. We ask questions to try to produce an answer. It's not science. There is no perfect formula.

Bob keeps firing away until he gets what he wants. He's better at it than anybody I know.

board