Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I laugh when people say rugby players are more athletic and tougher than football players.

Started by Sweet Feet, July 15, 2014, 04:42:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 15, 2014, 09:17:06 pm
So, you're saying there's a bad naked?

;D

Seriously though, I suppose it's a matter of taste. For me, there's definitely bad naked. Like, Madeline Albright moist and naked.  Terrible thing! The Reagan-Mondale debate naked. Absolutely awful idea.  Opening pickle jar naked?  Probably depends on the lady and how tight the lid is...
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

HogFanatic

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 15, 2014, 08:13:49 pm
One is a natural superhero and one is a money superhero.  My bets are on superman 10 out of 10 times.

Not so fast.
I have actually done research on this. Batman is Superman's worst nightmare in the arena of super hero matchups.

Batman is more than just some fly-by-night, rich guy with a mind for vengence, justice, and equality...he is a super-genius with the resources to get any job done.
Or put another way, he is Lex Luthor, if Lex Luthor was good at his job.

Batman would give Superman a run for his money.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Boardon Hamsay

HogFanatic

And by the way, it may be true that football players wear pads, but really all that does is cause the trauma of a man running full-bore at you from 10 yards away all the more damaging.

It's like boxing. People really only wear boxing gloves to protect their hands so they can throw punches again more quickly. Bare knuckles hurt your face, gloves hurt your brain.

twistitup

Fort Dweller

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 15, 2014, 09:37:10 pm
Not so fast.
I have actually done research on this. Batman is Superman's worst nightmare in the arena of super hero matchups.

Batman is more than just some fly-by-night, rich guy with a mind for vengence, justice, and equality...he is a super-genius with the resources to get any job done.

I agree.  One would think Batman's near limitless resources could yield some kryptonite at some point.  Superman would probably be -2.5 in Vegas but I like Batman.

Boardon Hamsay

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 15, 2014, 09:38:06 pm
If Gruden started coaching rugby, how much would the USA dominate the sport?

We'd be undefeated until another rugby team hired Ditka. Then things would get interesting.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 15, 2014, 04:42:33 pm
I laugh when people say rugby is better than football. They say rugby players are tougher because they dont wear pads. Well until i see a 6'4 250 pound player comin at you full speed, that argument is invalid. Football players are more stronger and superior.

Footballs a game of inches rugby's a game of feet.  Pads allow players to missile each other where rugby emphasizes wrapping up.  I think football is more intense, rugby is more endurance but neither is tougher than the other.

HogFanatic

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on July 15, 2014, 09:53:19 pm
Footballs a game of inches rugby's a game of feet.  Pads allow players to missile each other where rugby emphasizes wrapping up.  I think football is more intense, rugby is more endurance but neither is tougher than the other.

Batman is tougher than both...combined.

PonderinHog

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 15, 2014, 10:01:37 pm
And then Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head did this...

I used to do that during every halftime speech to get the kids fired up.  I'm still amazed that I'm not Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Headless Spectral Torso.

footballfan

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 15, 2014, 09:05:48 pm
Watch international Rugby especially South Africa and Australia. Go get a degree in Phys. Ed. start coaching then get back to me. Rugby teaches good form tackling and wrapping up. I still love our American game the best and rugby and football are different, other than that you sound clueless.

I don't need a degree in phys ed to know how to tackle properly. I played d-line in college (small college, not the hogs). "Wrapping up" is but ONE aspect of tackling. In Rugby, you do not bury your face into the chest of your opponent while running full speed. You use primarily your arms and shoulder, placing your leg in between the leg of the runner. In football, hip explosion and helmet placement is vital and squaring up is of utmost importance. I don't want a linebacker putting his leg in between the leg of the runner. I want him squared up and exploding with his hips, leading with his face, NOT his shoulder.

Sweet Feet

popcornhog

Quote from: sickboy on July 15, 2014, 07:15:19 pm
Sweet Jesus... They're all tough. That's their job. This is like two nerds arguing if Superman would kill Batman in a fight.

He would. Except that Superman never kills.

Jeez.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: Theolesnort on July 15, 2014, 07:27:28 pm
Let me settle the argument this way. If the big bad Rugby player is really a tough amazing athletic superior hombre he will go on to play american football in the NFL because that is where the money is if he is good enough. nuff said.

Not if he's really good at rugby and not any good at American football. Apples and oranges.

That's like saying, hey that one guy should go play in the NFL because he is such a bad ass Navy SEAL. One does not necessarily translate to the other.
WPS

thefisher

Quote from: sickboy on July 15, 2014, 07:15:19 pm
Sweet Jesus... They're all tough. That's their job. This is like two nerds arguing if Superman would kill Batman in a fight.

That nod has to go to Superman.  Batman isn't even a real superhero.  Batman has taken some karate, has a cool utility belt, and spends loads of cash of nifty gadgets.  Superman has superhuman strength, can stop bullets with his chest, and can fly!

Superman over Batman ... no contest.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

The Kig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 15, 2014, 09:17:06 pm
So, you're saying there's a bad naked?

Literally, my first thought.... then Darrell had to go and screw it all up with providing a name and scenario, even had the gall to put in the adjective "moist".  Alas, sudden potentially life threatening shrinkage occured. 

Curse you, Darrell Royal.  A pox be upon you...
Poker Porker

hogsanity

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 15, 2014, 05:20:21 pm
Ive played both. Football was more strenous and physical. atleast because we played real football. Now u gtfo

What you play on XBOX does not count
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: thefisher on July 16, 2014, 08:26:28 am
That nod has to go to Superman.  Batman isn't even a real superhero.  Batman has taken some karate, has a cool utility belt, and spends loads of cash of nifty gadgets.  Superman has superhuman strength, can stop bullets with his chest, and can fly!

Superman over Batman ... no contest.

I know Superman would be the favorite but I do like Batman for his resources. Ultimately, I suppose Batman needs to procure some kryptonite to get the win here. Without it, Superman takes it.  Batman has to be disciplined enough to go after the kryptonite from the start and skip some of the gadgetry offense. The one other thing about Superman is he can be a bit inconsistent, especially on defense. A lot of times, opponents will empty a couple clips shooting at Superman while Superman stands there watching bullets ricochet off his chest. Inevitably, the opponent runs out of bullets, just throws the gun at Superman, and Superman ducks away from the thrown gun! I think he's gotta stay home on defense after taking bullets and not get out of position dodging a thrown gun!

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: The Kig on July 16, 2014, 10:35:04 am
Literally, my first thought.... then Darrell had to go and screw it all up with providing a name and scenario, even had the gall to put in the adjective "moist".  Alas, sudden potentially life threatening shrinkage occured. 

Curse you, Darrell Royal.  A pox be upon you...

My apologies for ruining anyone's half chub or full blown rager. It was only meant as a cautionary tale to illuminate the human condition of good and bad naked.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 16, 2014, 10:48:15 am
I can't offer an opinion on that but here (once again) is proof positive that Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head does not hijack threads, it enhances them!

I like the way you think, 7. I'm gonna keep my spectral eye on you.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 16, 2014, 11:15:02 am
Idle thought - how can a pox adhere to a floating, vaporous apparition?

That's one thing I do have going for me. It's hard for a pox to adhere to a floating, flaming, fulminating, spectral head.

twistitup

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on July 16, 2014, 05:23:45 pm
That's one thing I do have going for me. It's hard for a pox to adhere to a floating, flaming, fulminating, spectral head.

What about seed ticks?

Boardon Hamsay

July 16, 2014, 05:30:02 pm #80 Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 05:40:09 pm by Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head
Along the lines of the Fouke Monster/Southern Sasquatch versus Traditional Pacific Northwest Bigfoot, I wonder what wins a combustion battle between a Ford Pinto and a Pontiac Fiero? This could be a monumental battle scrum of first to burst into flames!

ZERO

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on July 15, 2014, 08:59:23 pm
Which reminds me. Who wins a haymaker battle, the Fouke Monster (aka Southern Sasquatch) or the more traditional, Pacific Northwest Bigfoot?  I think the Fouke Monster would be better conditioned for dealing with humidity but Bigfoot could probably handle himself well at higher elevations. Could be a battle for the ages.

I can't believe you even left the Yeti out of this discussion. I'm lobbying for a four monster playoff.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: twistitup on July 16, 2014, 05:28:10 pm
What about seed ticks?

Damn. Clearly I haven't thought my strengths and weaknesses through all the way. Off spray would probably just burn off due to my enduring head flames....

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: ZERO on July 16, 2014, 05:31:58 pm
I can't believe you even left the Yeti out of this discussion. I'm lobbying for a four monster playoff.

A good catch. We might need to get a seeded monster bracket going to solve this debacle.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 15, 2014, 09:37:10 pm
Not so fast.

Lex Luthor was a decent "ideas villain", just couldn't execute well on 4th down.

pigture perfect

Quote from: footballfan on July 15, 2014, 10:46:13 pm
I don't need a degree in phys ed to know how to tackle properly. I played d-line in college (small college, not the hogs). "Wrapping up" is but ONE aspect of tackling. In Rugby, you do not bury your face into the chest of your opponent while running full speed. You use primarily your arms and shoulder, placing your leg in between the leg of the runner. In football, hip explosion and helmet placement is vital and squaring up is of utmost importance. I don't want a linebacker putting his leg in between the leg of the runner. I want him squared up and exploding with his hips, leading with his face, NOT his shoulder.
You've just never seen good rugby tackling. Hasn't everyone on Hogville claimed to have played college ball? And what does it really matter if you don't know what you are talking about.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

twistitup

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Biggus Piggus

The best part, even better than the glorious Head, was Sweet Meat claiming to have played rugby.
[CENSORED]!

HogFanatic

Superman can watch bullets bounce off of his torso, a power he gets from Earth's yellow sun.

However, in the general proximity of ANY kryptonite at all, he cannot withstand the devastation of say, the batmobile being dropped on his head from 30,000 feet. (something Batman is entirely capable of doing).

So, while yeah, the general nod goes to Superman, I'm just saying not to count Batman out in this fight. Batman is one bad motha.

If you want to know who could probably whip Superman in a fight, Kryptonite or not, look at Goku. That dude would definitely put Superman through the paces.

As far as sasquatch goes, man I don't trust any of those bastards. Big and powerful they are.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: ZERO on July 16, 2014, 05:31:58 pm

I conducted a full global bracket of bigfoot creatures and am pleased to announce Yeti did make the Final Four. It came out of the Tibet region like a champ!  For the most part, the bracket was chalk but there was one upset. Skunk Ape did take down traditional power Sasquatch in a back and forth scrum in the Georgia Swamp region.  The Fouke Monster wasted little time with Yowie in the Red River Bog region and Bigfoot crushed the Abominable Snowman in the Cascade Range region.  Should make for a great Final Four!  I suspect Yeti will have it's hands full with Bigfoot and the Fouke Monster will find a way to win the battle of the south with Skunk Ape to head into an epic championship scrum.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed

twistitup

PonderinHog

Boardon Hamsay

Second bracket resulted in a championship, demolition derby style scrum between Nessie in a Ford Pinto versus Black Panther driving a Pontiac Fiero. It might warrant a PPV!

Boardon Hamsay

PonderinHog

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on July 16, 2014, 09:15:50 pm
Second bracket resulted in a championship, demolition derby style scrum between Nessie in a Ford Pinto versus Black Panther driving a Pontiac Fiero. It might warrant a PPV!
If you build the bracket, they will come.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Theolesnort on July 15, 2014, 07:27:28 pm
Let me settle the argument this way. If the big bad Rugby player is really a tough amazing athletic superior hombre he will go on to play american football in the NFL because that is where the money is if he is good enough. nuff said.

Fewer play rugby in the US BECAUSE of football. Overseas the have bigger leagues and programs. We have plenty of rugby teams in the military, but many of them played intramural in college. I played a little in the military, but I'm not gonna risk a career to play a game. A bad day on a football field and you can't remember the game very well. A bad day on a rugby field and you look like you've been hit by a Peterbuilt semi truck while driving a Yugo.
This is my non-signature signature.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 16, 2014, 09:16:44 pm
If you build the bracket, they will come.

The possibilities are endless. I kinda like the idea of Superman in a Yugo facing off against Batman armed with a bent 7 iron, a pillowcase full of bar soap, and a tube sock full of nickels.