Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I laugh when people say rugby players are more athletic and tougher than football players.

Started by Sweet Feet, July 15, 2014, 04:42:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

PonderinHog

BPsTheMan

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 16, 2014, 09:30:37 pm
They make excellent backup quarterbacks after they're cross trained at tight end.

Rugby Eye For The Straight Guy?

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

footballfan

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 16, 2014, 06:51:37 pm
You've just never seen good rugby tackling. Hasn't everyone on Hogville claimed to have played college ball? And what does it really matter if you don't know what you are talking about.

#1, you don't put your face in the numbers when you rugby tackle. You don't square up and explode with your hips. I'm sorry you don't know what proper football tackling is. If you coach in Arkansas, might explain the state of Arkansas high school football.

#2 I have no idea who has or hasn't played. I wasn't a great athlete. I played at a small division II school and started my senior year. Nothing spectacular. We weren't even very good. Its not bragging, merely saying I didn't learn to tackle in a crappy phys ed class. I learned from college coach.

#3 If you are not teaching your players to square up, put their face in an opponent chest and explode, its you who has no idea what he's talking about.

BPsTheMan

it's pretty obvious to me that rugby players are the ones who defaced the Hog statue on sorority row, and I for one will not rest until those bastards are brought to justice

>:(

[attachment deleted by admin]

footballfan

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 16, 2014, 09:21:11 pm
Fewer play rugby in the US BECAUSE of football. Overseas the have bigger leagues and programs. We have plenty of rugby teams in the military, but many of them played intramural in college. I played a little in the military, but I'm not gonna risk a career to play a game. A bad day on a football field and you can't remember the game very well. A bad day on a rugby field and you look like you've been hit by a Peterbuilt semi truck while driving a Yugo.

No, here's a bad day on the football field:

Warning. Graphic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITzuLkpb44k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRLGoS1_Dt4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mznBvAGScdg

pigture perfect

Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!!! Again, You have not seen Rugby if you have not seen them do that. Just stop showing ignorance.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 16, 2014, 09:34:31 pm
Bigfoot?

IMHO, Bigfoot would be well suited for OL/DL depending on their level of abnormality. Now a Skunk Ape could probably line up at TE and in special packages, take snaps. The Fouke Monster is probably going to be the most versatile of the bigfoot creature genre. Now, those chupacabras are an interesting mix. They're shifty and speedy but I don't know that you can keep enough of them around since the Bigfoots and Sasquatches tend to snack on them.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on July 16, 2014, 09:54:55 pm
IMHO, Bigfoot would be well suited for OL/DL depending on their level of abnormality. Now a Skunk Ape could probably line up at TE and in special packages, take snaps. The Fouke Monster is probably going to be the most versatile of the bigfoot creature genre. Now, those chupacabras are an interesting mix. They're shifty and speedy but I don't know that you can keep enough of them around since the Bigfoots and Sasquatches tend to snack on them.

I'd take a Honey Badger at nose guard

Tony Cherico was kind of a honey badger, but I'm not sure if he could survive a cobra bite

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 16, 2014, 10:05:28 pm
Why do I have the thought this could be the beginning of a board game......

Just a thought...

I concur. You put Black Panther in a Subaru Brat wielding a used ball rag and it just screams, "I can't wait for others to roll the dice and land on that square!" The talking points of this thread in general are ripe with marketing greatness from board games to movie deals to microbrews and auto part sales!
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed

twistitup

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on July 16, 2014, 10:11:22 pm
I concur. You put Black Panther in a Subaru Brat wielding a used ball rag and it just screams, "I can't wait for others to roll the dice and land on that square!" The talking points of this thread in general are ripe with marketing greatness from board games to movie deals to microbrews and auto part sales!

Let's not leave out embroidered ball rag sales, they will will explode. Dollar Ball Rag Club - why do people waste money on expensive ball rags when we can ship them to you monthly for less.

thefisher

Check out this dandy video of hardest NFL football hits versus hardest rugby hits.

Pretty intense stuff.

I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: King TUSKankahamun on July 15, 2014, 05:01:32 pm
No, rugby players are the real deal. They consistently come out of the games bloody and beaten. I love football but it's not even close

I've seen kids fall off a bike and get bloodied but that doesn't mean they are better athletes than those that don't fall off.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: thefisher on July 17, 2014, 10:29:33 am
Check out this dandy video of hardest NFL football hits versus hardest rugby hits.

Pretty intense stuff.

The difference in those hits is the rugby ones only involved the ball carrier and tackling whereas in football it involved others besides the ball carrier. In other words there wasn't any "blocker" hits in rugby. However both had big time hits. I don't know all the rugby rules but is blocking or hitting someone besides the ball carrier not allowed?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 17, 2014, 11:11:47 am
No blocking is allowed.

Thanks. Then that means a lot less hitting per play/game.............................and thus some would believe football is tougher. I think it is not a valid comparison since there is that rule difference. Both are obviously tough and athletic games to play.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 17, 2014, 11:02:07 am
I've seen kids fall off a bike and get bloodied but that doesn't mean they are better athletes than those that don't fall off.
for once we agree on something...for one, u dont see bloody noses in football because of helmets. Also, what about skateborders whos injuries are the most gruesome? Then like u pointed, rugby doesn allow blocking. Meaning no cracks, no trench matches, anything. But they are tough though dont get me wrong

Boardon Hamsay

I think we need to get back to the original intention of the thread. While talking scrums versus huddles has been illuminating, I think the original talking points revolved around mythical creatures, questionable vehicles, superhero rankings, and to avoid revisiting the good vs bad naked thing, a replacement topic concerning potentially mythical Hogville posters.

Due to overwhelming requests for brackets, I've created the following brackets that will offer a chance to get the thread back on the original subject matter as well as offer a bounty of plentiful spirited discussions.  Carry on!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 17, 2014, 03:20:43 pm
Chrysler Lebaron didn't make the cut!?!

Yeah, that was a bit surprising. The Lebaron lost in it's conference title game to the Plymouth Caravelle.  Kind of a shame really because I thought the Lebaron would have made a sweet 16 run, minimally.

The Kig

Not arguing your #1 seed... but putting a floating log at #2 is a travesty.  Not to mention putting Chupacabra at #16 is complete BS. 

The only way a floating log (aka Nessie) wins ANY of those matchups is if a stiff breeze causes the currents to hit their opponent in the head and knock them out, leading to a drowning death.  Make the driftwood fight on land and see how well she does.
Poker Porker

DLUXHOG

don't believe any rugby players could stand up to the likes of Ray Nitschke or Dick Butkus in their prime........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 17, 2014, 11:47:14 am
for once we agree on something...for one, u dont see bloody noses in football because of helmets. Also, what about skateborders whos injuries are the most gruesome? Then like u pointed, rugby doesn allow blocking. Meaning no cracks, no trench matches, anything. But they are tough though dont get me wrong

Almost everyone has at least some common ground somewhere. Other than ASU and such I bet we can agree on other things with college sports and football. I also bet if we discussed other subjects besides college football we would agree on a lot of things.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 17, 2014, 05:18:38 pm
Almost everyone has at least some common ground somewhere. Other than ASU and such I bet we can agree on other things with college sports and football. I also bet if we discussed other subjects besides college football we would agree on a lot of things.
Really asu is the only thing we butt heads in. Everything else is common ground from what ive seen

twistitup

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 15, 2014, 04:42:33 pm
I laugh when people say rugby is better than football. They say rugby players are tougher because they dont wear pads. Well until i see a 6'4 250 pound player comin at you full speed, that argument is invalid. Football players are more stronger and superior.
Having played both I won't even debate the issue. While it's true that football tends to have larger and faster players, and more of them, at the same time rugby is absolute NO "walk in the park" either. Playing without pads or helmets in rugby DOES make a difference. One must also realize that rugby also has it's fair share of fast and tough "bruisers". While I always enjoyed my days playing football, I could also appreciate the old adage that "It takes leather balls to play rugby".

BTW if you think piles created by tackles can create havoc just trying going into a major rugby "scrum" and you wouldn't consider rugby players to be "wusses" or "wimps".

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

BPsTheMan

I'm open minded - I think rugby players should be able to marry each other

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: The Kig on July 17, 2014, 04:15:14 pm
Not arguing your #1 seed... but putting a floating log at #2 is a travesty.  Not to mention putting Chupacabra at #16 is complete BS. 

The only way a floating log (aka Nessie) wins ANY of those matchups is if a stiff breeze causes the currents to hit their opponent in the head and knock them out, leading to a drowning death.  Make the driftwood fight on land and see how well she does.

Nessie rode a terrible SOS and a weak conference to a #2 seed. If you ask me, it's ripe for a 15 seed upset in the first round. Chupacabra is admittedly awesome but seeded 16 because it has no inside game and is sure to be overmatched in the paint.

Boardon Hamsay

Now, in the Potentially Mythical Hogvillian Region, I really like BPs Ponderin Vonner or Reverend Shavin Lint to be a Cinderella.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on July 17, 2014, 08:40:17 pm
Now, in the Potentially Mythical Hogvillian Region, I really like BPs Ponderin Vonner or Reverend Shavin Lint to be a Cinderella.
I concur.

HouSwine

Having played all three, water polo players have less protection and they are not allowed to touch the bottom the entire game, so they have more stamina. There are usually bloody noses and eyes. If the opponent has his hand on the ball you are generally allowed to try to drown him. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HouSwine on July 17, 2014, 09:57:16 pm
Having played all three, water polo players have less protection and they are not allowed to touch the bottom the entire game, so they have more stamina. There are usually bloody noses and eyes. If the opponent has his hand on the ball you are generally allowed to try to drown him. 

I'd try to drown him too if he put his hand on my ball.....................................

footballfan

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 17, 2014, 06:46:17 pm
Bad day on a rugby field. Same schtuff, no pads.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Vj3UEgAR8

yeah i noticed they'll all eventually walk again. not so in my videos. in 1905, 18 people died playing college football. doubt rugby has a stat like that.

footballfan

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 16, 2014, 09:52:34 pm
Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!!! Again, You have not seen Rugby if you have not seen them do that. Just stop showing ignorance.

way to back up your points. like i said, if you're a high school coach in arkansas, it explains a great deal about the quality of athlete this state puts out.

LZH

footballfan

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 18, 2014, 08:26:08 am
In 1905, college football was more like rugby than it is modern football.

yeah no. Except for the dearth of pads, it was not. If it was, people would still die playing rugby. Like I said, bad day on the football field, you never walk again and spend the rest of your days moving around by blowing through a straw.

The Kig

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on July 17, 2014, 08:37:00 pm
Nessie rode a terrible SOS and a weak conference to a #2 seed. If you ask me, it's ripe for a 15 seed upset in the first round. Chupacabra is admittedly awesome but seeded 16 because it has no inside game and is sure to be overmatched in the paint.

AHHHH.... wasn't aware of the of the venue.  Definitely puts Nessie and Chupacabra at a disadvantage.  Nessie will just slip all over the hardwood.  Chupacabra has no size and the claws (like spikes) may be provide a grip advantage on grass, but will be ineffective indoors.

Sorta changes the HV bracket view as well.  Ponderin may be a road grader on grass/ turf, but he's... well frankly he's a rock.  So no quicks, hops and will probably get blown past by average teams with his hand on his chin. 

My Final 4 picks with a scouting report:

#1 Lanny Pondcephus vs. #4 Rev Shavin.  This game will be interesting.  If it is close, I am picking Lanny because of the semi home court advantage and he knows the refs.  Not sayin the refs will make a phantom call as time runs out to send Lanny to the line, but my guess is that the foul stats will be a bit lopsided.  If Rev plays his game, he could be up big early.  It will come down to a game of swings and should be fun to watch. 

Picking Lanny in a squeaker.... Free throw at the end FTW.

#6 Biggus Pullwater vs. Wilson Swinesanity.   Cinderella vs. Consistent Program.  Great storyline... The Fighting Wilson's have been a perennial high seed and bring a ton of experience/maturity to this game.  Biggus has been bulldozing their way through the season with size and brute strength.  Although Wilson should go into the half with a 15 point lead, Biggus will maintain their game plan and just wear down Wilson.  If Biggus can stay out of foul trouble, expect a frustrated team Wilson to lose composure and ultimately, the game. 

Pick:  Biggus by 8.

Poker Porker

PonderinHog

footballfan

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 18, 2014, 10:50:53 am
Yes, it was closer to rugby. There was no forward passing at that time. Kick it or lateral it.

Thanks to offensive tactics, you'd get a mass of bodies like a ruck where punching and stomping on fallen players was common. It was even closer to Shrovetide mass football games played in England than to modern football thanks to the flying wedge.

Rugby disallows blocking which was crucial to the advancement of the football. Forward passing (or the lack thereof) had nothing to do with it. The fact that players could block made the game exponentially rougher (and much more like modern football, where blocking is crucial to every play.)

And if you don't think punching and stomping on players still occurs with brutal regularity, youve never watched nick fairley and suh play.  ;)

Sweet Feet

Quote from: footballfan on July 18, 2014, 12:30:07 pm
Rugby disallows blocking which was crucial to the advancement of the football. Forward passing (or the lack thereof) had nothing to do with it. The fact that players could block made the game exponentially rougher (and much more like modern football, where blocking is crucial to every play.)

And if you don't think punching and stomping on players still occurs with brutal regularity, youve never watched nick fairley and suh play.  ;)
Or been in a pile up after a gang tackle or fumble

H&D

My cousin in a 6'1'' 244lb college fullback. He plays both football and Rugby. He said rugby is 100x harder than football. So your argument is invalid.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: footballfan on July 18, 2014, 12:16:20 am
yeah i noticed they'll all eventually walk again. not so in my videos. in 1905, 18 people died playing college football. doubt rugby has a stat like that.

In 1905 college football was rugby. LOL.
[CENSORED]!

twistitup

Quote from: H&D on July 18, 2014, 01:45:13 pm
My cousin in a 6'1'' 244lb college fullback. He plays both football and Rugby. He said rugby is 100x harder than football. So your argument is invalid.

/thread

Just ask HD's cousin

footballfan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 18, 2014, 04:33:00 pm
In 1905 college football was rugby. LOL.

Yeah no. they actually blocked in 1905. They can't block in rugby. thought you said you were a fan?

footballfan

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 18, 2014, 05:47:37 pm
As I said earlier, 1905 gridiron football looked a lot more like rugby than our modern game does - even with blocking.

If that were the case, people would be dying playing rugby. It isn't.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: footballfan on July 18, 2014, 05:44:20 pm

Yeah no. they actually blocked in 1905. They can't block in rugby. thought you said you were a fan?

Come on, Frank. It was a purposeful exaggeration. How hard is that to understand?
[CENSORED]!

Inhogswetrust

I will say that after watching a youtube video comparing Rugby to American Football and seeing the comparison of the cheerleaders I'm now a big rugby fan! Watching Rugby cheerleaders in bikini's will make any man stand up and cheer! No pun intended...........................

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 22, 2014, 04:21:55 pm
I will say that after watching a youtube video comparing Rugby to American Football and seeing the comparison of the cheerleaders I'm now a big rugby fan! Watching Rugby cheerleaders in bikini's will make any man stand up and cheer! No pun intended...........................

Well, there needed to be some reason to watch.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 29, 2014, 10:27:51 am
RT @RobertKlemko: Coaches have always taught head across the body in tackling. Seahawks have adopted a safer rugby method. http://t.co/2VHU6c5B97

Nice video.

twistitup