Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I laugh when people say rugby players are more athletic and tougher than football players.

Started by Sweet Feet, July 15, 2014, 04:42:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet Feet

I laugh when people say rugby is better than football. They say rugby players are tougher because they dont wear pads. Well until i see a 6'4 250 pound player comin at you full speed, that argument is invalid. Football players are more stronger and superior.

rljjr

jrhardy88

I laugh when I think of Sweetfeet playing rugby and being torn a new one.
Standing on the shoulders of giants.

King TUSKankahamun

No, rugby players are the real deal. They consistently come out of the games bloody and beaten. I love football but it's not even close
Self proclaimed dead King of Hogville

Sweet Feet

The Kig

You obviously never played Rugby...  even the use of the term "more stronger" serves to invalidate your assertion. 

Rugby is football without pads... and there aren't breaks every 10 seconds.  It is base brutality with a ball and an aerobic requirement to be able to run like in soccer.   

Football and rugby players size is based on the physical/ aerobic requirements of the position.  For example, your 6'4 250 player would not fare very well on an OL or interior DL in the SEC, nor would he be likely a good candidate at WR.   That same player would not be well suited as a soccer, hockey, tennis or player in practically any other sport.  Rugby is "close" to football, so people falsely try to make comparisons.  Even the "bigs" in Rugby have to be able to run...essentially for the entire game. 

As for tougher... you are right.  No comparison.  Rugby players don't leave the field... for nosebleeds, head wounds, even minor injuries. I played in a game where one of my teammates didn't protect their head in a scrum and ended up with a gash requiring 12 stitches at halftime.  He played the 2nd half until he opened up another gash on his face requiring 10 stitches.  If a Rugby player pulled up lame like Auburn did vs. us in order to get a stopage in time, his own teammates would beat the crap out of him.  Pads protect football players and help absorb quite a bit of the impact from a hit... the only pads in Rugby are some basic head gear worn by a few of the bigs.  Rugby has very few whistles to stop play or rules about hitting people without the ball, so you can keep pounding away with little regard for personal well being (yours or theirs).

Play the game... play both.  Then come back here with your drivel... if you can still spell your own name, then we will talk. 

Until then, GTFO
Poker Porker

Country Stylz

Quote from: The Kig on July 15, 2014, 05:10:47 pm
You obviously never played Rugby...  even the use of the term "more stronger" serves to invalidate your assertion. 

Rugby is football without pads... and there aren't breaks every 10 seconds.  It is base brutality with a ball and an aerobic requirement to be able to run like in soccer.   

Football and rugby players size is based on the physical/ aerobic requirements of the position.  For example, your 6'4 250 player would not fare very well on an OL or interior DL in the SEC, nor would he be likely a good candidate at WR.   That same player would not be well suited as a soccer, hockey, tennis or player in practically any other sport.  Rugby is "close" to football, so people falsely try to make comparisons.  Even the "bigs" in Rugby have to be able to run...essentially for the entire game. 

As for tougher... you are right.  No comparison.  Rugby players don't leave the field... for nosebleeds, head wounds, even minor injuries. I played in a game where one of my teammates didn't protect their head in a scrum and ended up with a gash requiring 12 stitches at halftime.  He played the 2nd half until he opened up another gash on his face requiring 10 stitches.  If a Rugby player pulled up lame like Auburn did vs. us in order to get a stopage in time, his own teammates would beat the crap out of him.  Pads protect football players and help absorb quite a bit of the impact from a hit... the only pads in Rugby are some basic head gear worn by a few of the bigs.  Rugby has very few whistles to stop play or rules about hitting people without the ball, so you can keep pounding away with little regard for personal well being (yours or theirs).

Play the game... play both.  Then come back here with your drivel... if you can still spell your own name, then we will talk. 

Until then, GTFO
Boom...you guys

alwaysondbigscreen

some say he's a cia experiment gone wrong

Sweet Feet

Until then, GTFO

Ive played both. Football was more strenous and physical. atleast because we played real football. Now u gtfo

hogs24

Quote from: Buff on August 04, 2013, 01:34:19 pm

I am THIS close to raping you right now. 

Country Stylz

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 15, 2014, 05:20:21 pm
Ive played both. Football was more strenous and physical. atleast because we played real football. Now u gtfo
Lies

OTTER

Dude-------------really????
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

The Kig

LOL... "real football"....not a chance.  I played both too... not a pissin match, but what level of "real football" and rugby did you play?  Other than the Eagles side, there isn't really much "real rugby" played in the states.   Tossin the ball around with buddies on a club team that drinks before, during and after the match doesn't count.

This is a pointless argument.
Poker Porker

The Kig

My college roommate played for the New Zealand All-Blacks junior national team.  He was 5-7, maybe 150 lbs on a good day... I watched him beat the crap out of a guy about 6'4 250 who told him that Rugby players were not that tough. 

Meanest, toughest little bastard I have ever met....
Poker Porker

Dr. Starcs

HiggiePiggy

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

fortsmithokie

Being the pivot man doesn't count as rugby.

Boardon Hamsay

Until then, GTFO

I agree. To me, rugby is far and away tougher and more strenuous. Said differently, if I were to gamble on a brawl between a US football player and say, an Aussie or Kiwi rugger, I'd take the rugger every time. Those dudes take it to a whole new level of tough and mean, especially if you start talking trash about rugby. It's a relative question though so to each their own.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: hogs24 on July 15, 2014, 05:22:36 pm
In b4 trashcan.

Also, in before Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head hijacks the thread.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

The Kig

Quote from: Whose Swine Is It Anyway? on July 15, 2014, 06:24:01 pm
Also, in before Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head hijacks the thread.

And in before the Gus/Hootie/Petrino/CBB rugby "what-ifs"...
Poker Porker

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Whose Swine Is It Anyway? on July 15, 2014, 06:24:01 pm

A high jacking would be the best possible thing that could happen to this thread.

bp

Razorfox

I don't know, but it seems to me that it may be a split. Football players may be athletic (speed, explosiveness, agility) while rugby players might be tougher.

Boardon Hamsay

I think someone called for me. Well, here's the thing. I've been hanging out in the UofA Tunnel system for the last few weeks so I'm rested and full of spectral life. There's a secret Kappa harem and massage parlor down there that few know about and most dare not dream of.

In retrospect, it was nice not haunting Barnhill for a bit and it's pretty quiet in there these days too.  For a while, I also haunted Tavern Johnson because he kept parking behind my old Pinto. Didn't mean much by it because my head is already flaming but he took it personally and left for Paraguay, I think...

In that respect, I'm reminded of what my friend Emmitt Fitz-Hume once said. He said, "Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know that's the way it will always be."  Inspiring!  I think that sums up why the designated hitter is bad for baseball and why the rules to cricket may never fully be understood.

hogfan14

It seems like to me that rugby requires more endurance and toughness while football requires more athletic ability and smarts

The argument that football players aren't tough because they wear pads is stupid though, in rugby you don't have guys running at you with a 10 yard head start trying to knock your head off. They aren't as fast as football players

Hogwop

Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

sickboy

Sweet Jesus... They're all tough. That's their job. This is like two nerds arguing if Superman would kill Batman in a fight.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: The Kig on July 15, 2014, 06:30:56 pm
And in before the Gus/Hootie/Petrino/CBB rugby "what-ifs"...

How bout this. What if Gus and Hootie squared off in bout to replicate the following scene from Kickboxer? Who gets the tree down first?

Now, from there. which topping would Gus and Hootie take from this scene from the SAME movie? I think Gus goes sprinkles whereas Hootie goes gummy bears.

pigture perfect

Rugby is a great game.  I use rugby film to teach my kids to tackle properly. As for stronger and superior, I would say that you probably couldn't tell one from the other if they stood before you without pads.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Theolesnort

Let me settle the argument this way. If the big bad Rugby player is really a tough amazing athletic superior hombre he will go on to play american football in the NFL because that is where the money is if he is good enough. nuff said.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

hogs24

Quote from: Buff on August 04, 2013, 01:34:19 pm

I am THIS close to raping you right now. 

footballfan

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 15, 2014, 07:25:33 pm
Rugby is a great game.  I use rugby film to teach my kids to tackle properly. As for stronger and superior, I would say that you probably couldn't tell one from the other if they stood before you without pads.

If you're using rugby to teach your kids to tackle properly, you're not doing a very good job of teaching your kids to tackle. Rugby and football are two VERY different games. Rugby is NOT football without the pads. First of all, football requires you to get in front of the runner, break down explode your hips and put your facemask in the numbers (or the ball) of the runner. Rudgy depends far more on arm tackling- a style that would see more than a few running backs making football tacklers look silly. Rugby doesn't use pads. They also don't feature the collisions present in American football.

Pop quiz: How many students died playing college football in 1905? Answer- 18. Keep in mind, that was long before 260 lb behemoths that run 4.6 40's and bench press small automobiles roamed the playing fields. The equipment used in modern football is there to save lives. College football cOULD nOT BE PLAYED without pads.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

footballfan

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Fort Dweller on July 15, 2014, 07:52:19 pm
So? Some people think cucumbers taste better pickled.

An astute observation, Fort. I know one thing. When you look into the eyes of a man or a woman straining to open an excruciatingly difficult jar of pickles or some sweet gherkins, you see who they are down to their core.
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: sickboy on July 15, 2014, 07:15:19 pm
Sweet Jesus... They're all tough. That's their job. This is like two nerds arguing if Superman would kill Batman in a fight.

LOL.  No kidding.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

footballfan

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on July 15, 2014, 07:58:52 pm
An astute observation, Fort. I know one thing. When you look into the eyes of a man or a woman straining to open an excruciatingly difficult jar of pickles or some sweet gherkins, you see who they are down to their core.

I respect you.

(notOM)Rebel123

Yeah...but are rugby players more athletic & tougher than World Cup soccer players?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

footballfan

Boardon Hamsay

Why opening an excruciatingly tough jar of pickles hasn't been incorporated into part of an American sport yet is a quandary. Either it or kickboxing trees down should replace the coin toss.
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: sickboy on July 15, 2014, 07:15:19 pm

One is a natural superhero and one is a money superhero.  My bets are on superman 10 out of 10 times. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

HawginTexas

I played both. I played football in high school and rugby 18 years ago while at the U of A. Football evolved from Rugby long ago but very little is the same anymore. Both are physical but the tackling is in fact different. Rugby players tackle without the main intent being to hurt the opponent, or themselves. In football all about laying the wood and inflicting pain...

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 15, 2014, 08:13:49 pm
One is a natural superhero and one is a money superhero.  My bets are on superman 10 out of 10 times. 

I would never bet on Skateman that's for sure. Supposedly, he was a Vietnam Vet turned roller derby based superhero. Apparently he died in the second issue of the comic series from falling down a flight of stairs.  Prolly sucked as an excruciatingly difficult jar of pickles opener too.

Boardon Hamsay

Which reminds me. Who wins a haymaker battle, the Fouke Monster (aka Southern Sasquatch) or the more traditional, Pacific Northwest Bigfoot?  I think the Fouke Monster would be better conditioned for dealing with humidity but Bigfoot could probably handle himself well at higher elevations. Could be a battle for the ages.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on July 15, 2014, 07:58:52 pm
I let the old lady open mine.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, right?  >:(

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 15, 2014, 09:01:42 pm
I let the old lady open mine.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, right?  >:(

Nope, nothing wrong with that, Ponderin'. Just don't let her do it naked.  It's not a "good kind" of naked.

pigture perfect

Quote from: footballfan on July 15, 2014, 07:50:09 pm

If you're using rugby to teach your kids to tackle properly, you're not doing a very good job of teaching your kids to tackle. Rugby and football are two VERY different games. Rugby is NOT football without the pads. First of all, football requires you to get in front of the runner, break down explode your hips and put your facemask in the numbers (or the ball) of the runner. Rudgy depends far more on arm tackling- a style that would see more than a few running backs making football tacklers look silly. Rugby doesn't use pads. They also don't feature the collisions present in American football.

Pop quiz: How many students died playing college football in 1905? Answer- 18. Keep in mind, that was long before 260 lb behemoths that run 4.6 40's and bench press small automobiles roamed the playing fields. The equipment used in modern football is there to save lives. College football cOULD nOT BE PLAYED without pads.
Watch international Rugby especially South Africa and Australia. Go get a degree in Phys. Ed. start coaching then get back to me. Rugby teaches good form tackling and wrapping up. I still love our American game the best and rugby and football are different, other than that you sound clueless.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

PonderinHog

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on July 15, 2014, 09:03:35 pm
Nope, nothing wrong with that, Ponderin'. Just don't let her do it naked.  It's not a "good kind" of naked.
Yeah, that might lead to a rugby match or a scrum of some sort.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 15, 2014, 09:06:07 pm
Yeah, that might lead to a rugby match or a scrum of some sort.

You got it, brother! You don't want to be wrestling with a jar of pickles naked and get your scrum caught on the lid.

Boardon Hamsay

I think that's what happened to Tom Penders now that I think of it. Scrum got caught in the pickle jar.

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber