Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Gragg article on wholehogsports.com

Started by muddhogger, July 15, 2014, 02:40:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 25, 2014, 01:09:40 pm
Me and coach B disagree. i will leave it at that.this is Will Gragg's thread.

"Me and coach B"

lolololol
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

forrest city joe

Prestworthy

Kinda tired of seeing this guys' name everywhere.  He will commit to one of the 5 schools he visits and will be yet another blue chip guy that gets away.  I like the TEs that are committed, so use his scholly on a position of need.  If history is any indication, this is what will likely happen.  Let's talk about someone else!

Hawg Red

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 25, 2014, 12:48:31 pm
So coach B is wrong for feeling this way? give me a break! if top in-state players know they can leave and go test out Bama or Auburn,and see if they like it there. then run back to the Razorbacks if it does not work out. we will keep having players leave.coach B is right when he say they get 1 chance.to be a Razorback.

It's not a matter of right or wrong. It's his program. He can run things the way he wants to. I just don't like the idea of not allowing a kid to come back HOME out of spite because you couldn't sell them on the program the first time. If they're willing to admit that they made a mistake, shouldn't they be allowed the chance to come back home? It's anywhere from petty to vindictive to have a blanket rule like that. Again, these are kids having to make a pretty heavy decision about their lives. Just seems harsh to punish them if their decision doesn't pan out. But, again, it's his call. I just don't agree with it.

Wildhog

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 25, 2014, 01:20:10 pm
Disagree with you. am i clear now?

Hahahaha, I just get this image of a sitcom intro with you and coach b skipping along, hand in hand.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Steef

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 25, 2014, 12:51:03 pm
Now can we please get this thread back on Will Gragg. he is a heck of a player. and i so hope he will be a Razorback.GO HOGS.

+1

Hawg Red

Quote from: muddhogger on July 25, 2014, 12:54:54 pm
I swear...there are some bitter people on this message board. No one can have an opinion without getting blasted by someone who doesn't agree. Plus getting smited for everything out of spite

Me thinks you don't understand what a message board is....

Wildhog

Alright, back to Gragg:

History suggests that we don't get him.
1909/1964/1965/1977

forrest city joe

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 25, 2014, 01:22:24 pm
It's not a matter of right or wrong. It's his program. He can run things the way he wants to. I just don't like the idea of not allowing a kid to come back HOME out of spite because you couldn't sell them on the program the first time. If they're willing to admit that they made a mistake, shouldn't they be allowed the chance to come back home? It's anywhere from petty to vindictive to have a blanket rule like that. Again, these are kids having to make a pretty heavy decision about their lives. Just seems harsh to punish them if their decision doesn't pan out. But, again, it's his call. I just don't agree with it.
we Disagree. back to the subject of Will Gragg.

Wildhog

FCJ and Coach B sat down and they agreed that this would be how they handle these situations. 

Joe's a mover and a shaker.
1909/1964/1965/1977

forrest city joe

Quote from: Wildhog on July 25, 2014, 01:24:57 pm
Alright, back to Gragg:

History suggests that we don't get him.
We very well may not get him. but i have a good feeling that he will be a Razorback. can't tell you why i feel this way. just a gut feeling. could be 100% wrong.

Wildhog

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 25, 2014, 01:35:08 pm
We very well may not get him. but i have a good feeling that he will be a Razorback. can't tell you why i feel this way. just a gut feeling. could be 100% wrong.

Coach B tell you this over brunch?
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawg Red

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 25, 2014, 01:33:15 pm
we Disagree. back to the subject of Will Gragg.

You want to punish kids for not making the right decision at 17-18 years old. Back to the subject of Will Gragg.

hogwild210

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 25, 2014, 01:09:40 pm
Me and coach B disagree. i will leave it at that.this is Will Gragg's thread.

Then quit contributing to the derail. You've said "let's get back to Will Gragg" how many times now?
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

Wildhog

Quote from: hogwild210 on July 25, 2014, 01:38:25 pm
Then quit contributing to the derail. You've said "let's get back to Will Gragg" how many times now?

To be fair, he can't remember.
1909/1964/1965/1977

forrest city joe

Quote from: hogwild210 on July 25, 2014, 01:38:25 pm
I did. but i keep responding to the same guy about how coach B and i want to punish players that leave the state. so i have to control myself on that. i get your point. now again let's keep this thread on Will Gragg.

Wildhog

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 25, 2014, 01:47:04 pm
I did. but i keep responding to the same guy about how coach B and i want to punish players that leave the state. so i have to control myself on that. i get your point. now again let's keep this thread on Will Gragg.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha  I'm sorry, it's just funny.  "Coach B and I want to punish players."
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawg Red

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

SPAL

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 25, 2014, 01:47:04 pm

I'm not sure I've ever laughed so hard at a post on hogville. Coach B and FCJ....the iron fist of the Razorback law.

Hawgzinbowlz

If Will decided to go elsewhere and later decided the Hogs were a better fit I would think CBB would never say never, 100% never. On the front end it makes sense to create an atmosphere that the players should stay home and 2nd chances are few and far between but I doubt that CBB and staff would turn down a native Arkansan that convinced them that he made an incorrect decision when he was 17-18 years old. Particularly if he was a difference maker that could come in and help right away and he was a good character young man that would represent and fit the Razorbacks well. It would be very infrequent but I just don't think CBB is that inflexible.
I hope we get the signature of both Will and KJ on the front end.
6-6 plus a bowl would help as I think they both can see Ty Storey's future as a Hog.

" GO HOGS "

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Hog on the Hill on July 25, 2014, 06:29:05 am
How is it a cockamamie story?  He's been on campus with the team dozens of times while his brother played up here.  It makes more sense to take his fifth official visit somewhere else so he can see a new place and have new experiences.  He's a teenager--of course he wants to travel around.

I don't know if he'll come play for us, but I don't think he needs to take an official visit here to make up his mind.

Well you have to agree it's not a positive sign.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

For me it depends on how they went about it the first time. Dyer was a jerk about it, I would have been against him. Mallett was not, I was delighted to get him.

Tenpenny... Eh? I kind if felt like he was disrespectful to the staff, but that is from a way outside perspective.

Hawg Red

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 25, 2014, 02:58:33 pm
Tenpenny... Eh? I kind if felt like he was disrespectful to the staff, but that is from a way outside perspective.

To what staff, though? Petrino's? John L.'s? Or Bielema's? He was committed to Bama for like a year by the time Bielema was hired. Can't blame the kid for re-thinking his commitment to a program like that for a coaching staff that's been on him for a couple of months.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 25, 2014, 03:06:19 pm
To what staff, though? Petrino's? John L.'s? Or Bielema's? He was committed to Bama for like a year by the time Bielema was hired. Can't blame the kid for re-thinking his commitment to a program like that for a coaching staff that's been on him for a couple of months.

The current staff. Skipping his own in-home visit with the head coach "because he had to work" was pretty lame.

Hawg Red

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 25, 2014, 03:12:22 pm
The current staff. Skipping his own in-home visit with the head coach "because he had to work" was pretty lame.

Right, but again, was committed another program for a year at the time. He probably should have just told them he was tight to the Tide, but he was probably feeling a ton of pressure to let them try to flip him. I don't think it was a good position for him to be in.

The Boar War

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on July 25, 2014, 02:37:11 pm
If Will decided to go elsewhere and later decided the Hogs were a better fit I would think CBB would never say never, 100% never.

I'm sorry.  That's just how Coach B, FCJ, and I feel about it.

FBREW000

just a thought.. Is Coach B in a position not to take any recruit (without outside problems, drugs, etc) that would help turn this program around, lift it up and finally win again?

Folks, I am a BB fan, and believe he will get it done.  But don't think for a min that his job is to WIN!  along with the other stuff.  But winning comes first in a period of time or he will no longer be here. 

So, if a kid chooses wrong, later can help us achieve the goal.. then what?  Either rest on your laurels or make a change!

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 25, 2014, 03:17:44 pm
Right, but again, was committed another program for a year at the time. He probably should have just told them he was tight to the Tide, but he was probably feeling a ton of pressure to let them try to flip him. I don't think it was a good position for him to be in.

No doubt. And he should have told them he wasn't going to flip, and either have not scheduled the in-home visit or he actually should have shown up for it.

I find it really hard to believe a highschool student in Arkansas has a boss who won't let him take two hours off to meet with the head coach of the state's flagship university. I just don't see it.

The Boar War

Quote from: Hog on the Hill on July 25, 2014, 06:29:05 am
How is it a cockamamie story?  He's been on campus with the team dozens of times while his brother played up here.  It makes more sense to take his fifth official visit somewhere else so he can see a new place and have new experiences.  He's a teenager--of course he wants to travel .

That reasoning makes sense for most teenagers.  But he's been to all these  schools (with the exception of Louisville) multiple times.  It's not like he's traveling to see different parts of the world. 

Since he's been to these places there's no way to see this as good news for AR.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: The Boar War on July 25, 2014, 03:46:23 pm
That reasoning makes sense for most teenagers.  But he's been to all these  schools (with the exception of Louisville) multiple times.  It's not like he's traveling to see different parts of the world. 

Since he's been to these places there's no way to see this as good news for AR.

It's absolutely not. It's a bet loss anyway you spin it. Even if he is secretly a Hog lean, which I doubt, then he is just giving us one less chance to solidify him while giving someone else the chance to sway him.

I'd love to have him but my feeling is that he is just going by the Josh Fraizer recruiting play book. "Don't tell them you aren't coming, and upset the locals, until as late as possible."

forrest city joe

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on July 25, 2014, 02:37:11 pm
If Will decided to go elsewhere and later decided the Hogs were a better fit I would think CBB would never say never, 100% never. On the front end it makes sense to create an atmosphere that the players should stay home and 2nd chances are few and far between but I doubt that CBB and staff would turn down a native Arkansan that convinced them that he made an incorrect decision when he was 17-18 years old. Particularly if he was a difference maker that could come in and help right away and he was a good character young man that would represent and fit the Razorbacks well. It would be very infrequent but I just don't think CBB is that inflexible.
I hope we get the signature of both Will and KJ on the front end.
6-6 plus a bowl would help as I think they both can see Ty Storey's future as a Hog.

" GO HOGS "
Coach B made it clear. if Arkansas players leave, they are not welcome back to his program. so if Will leaves, there is no coming back later.

Wildhog

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 25, 2014, 05:59:49 pm
Coach B made it clear. if Arkansas players leave, they are not welcome back to his program. so if Will leaves, there is no coming back later.

Are you sure it wasn't "Coach B and I made it clear?"
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hoggish1

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 25, 2014, 05:59:49 pm
We may see someday. If the player were someone who could legitimately contribute and elevate our program I would be surprised if CBB would refuse to consider it.
Taking a chance on a questionable character recruit and acknowledging that a 17-18 year old made a mistake on his initial school of choice are significantly different.
Setting aside your opinion of what CBB would do, FCJ, would it be worth making our program better by simply allowing any player to transfer into our program (native Arkansan or not) who we had recruited, signed elsewhere, and then honestly decided that we were a better fit and wanted to come here and help us win? And he would make us better. And help us win.
Maybe CBB is that adamant and stubborn. I would hope it would be on a case by case basis.
Unlikely to happen but it would be interesting to watch unfold.

" GO HOGS "

pigtrino

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 25, 2014, 03:35:07 pm
No doubt. And he should have told them he wasn't going to flip, and either have not scheduled the in-home visit or he actually should have shown up for it.

I find it really hard to believe a highschool student in Arkansas has a boss who won't let him take two hours off to meet with the head coach of the state's flagship university. I just don't see it.

With pay.

muddhogger

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 25, 2014, 01:23:11 pm
Me thinks you don't understand what a message board is....
Right on brother..not sure what I was thinking..may the bashing live on

LJHOG

Quote from: Wildhog on July 25, 2014, 11:35:33 am
I'd take him back right now.
why?  he isn't doing all that well at bama and he didn't really play against very good HS competition. i'll say it again.  i'd rather have an all district 4 or 5A running back out of Texas than an all-state back in Arkansas.

MissippHog

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on July 25, 2014, 07:53:52 pm
We may see someday. If the player were someone who could legitimately contribute and elevate our program I would be surprised if CBB would refuse to consider it.
Taking a chance on a questionable character recruit and acknowledging that a 17-18 year old made a mistake on his initial school of choice are significantly different.
Setting aside your opinion of what CBB would do, FCJ, would it be worth making our program better by simply allowing any player to transfer into our program (native Arkansan or not) who we had recruited, signed elsewhere, and then honestly decided that we were a better fit and wanted to come here and help us win? And he would make us better. And help us win.
Maybe CBB is that adamant and stubborn. I would hope it would be on a case by case basis.
Unlikely to happen but it would be interesting to watch unfold.

" GO HOGS "
Can you imagine the impact it would have though if say Tenpenny wanted to transfer to us and CBB told him no?  I would think that would send a very loud message and might make a couple of them rethink their decision come signing day.

Melorock089

Quote from: MissippHog on July 25, 2014, 11:33:34 pm
Can you imagine the impact it would have though if say Tenpenny wanted to transfer to us and CBB told him no?  I would think that would send a very loud message and might make a couple of them rethink their decision come signing day.

+1

Arkansas should not be a fall back option for any instate kid.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HawgnCorona

This is quote is what stands out to me...and not the fact he isnt taking an official visit here...He knows everything he needs to know about the UofA.

"I don't even have to speak on them," said Gragg of Arkansas. "They're the hometown school. Everybody loves the Razorbacks, including me. So people should've known they would make the cut."

What he doesn't know so much about is the other schools. Therefore taking the official visit to the other schools to compare against the HIS HOME SCHOOL.

I see his love for the HOME TEAM here and I could be mistaken here but I believe at the end of the day he calls the HOGS!!

His mindset isnt like Tenpenny, Frazier or Dyer...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: MissippHog on July 25, 2014, 11:33:34 pm
The message would be clear to the instate players, and every one else, and it would stimulate a couple of threads on Hogville. lol

Would we be considered a fallback for Ryan Mallet, as he was offered by the Hogs? Is Texarkana Texas considered an instate location or should we have a no transfer in of any player recruited by the Hogs and initially going somewhere else? Should Ryan's transfer be considered a case by case situation? Maybe a case by case review would be in order.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Ryan-Mallett-29816#college_choices

" GO HOGS "

Steef

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on July 26, 2014, 07:00:21 am
The message would be clear to the instate players, and every one else, and it would stimulate a couple of threads on Hogville. lol

Would we be considered a fallback for Ryan Mallet, as he was offered by the Hogs? Is Texarkana Texas considered an instate location or should we have a no transfer in of any player recruited by the Hogs and initially going somewhere else? Should Ryan's transfer be considered a case by case situation? Maybe a case by case review would be in order.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Ryan-Mallett-29816#college_choices

" GO HOGS "

That's a fair question.

The reason Ryan went to Michigan....left Michigan. So his situation changed...despite his efforts.

The situation being discussed here about Ten penny is not the same. He invested himself in Nick. And Nick is still there

If you want a closer example, I would say Broderick Green would serve the debate better.

However, both of those incoming transfers were approved by Bobby, not Bret. And both of them were positions of immediate need at the time.

So Bobby was probably more interested in the "right now" than he cared about overall policy. And even he ...stopped incoming transfers.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: steefhog on July 26, 2014, 07:43:37 am
That's a fair question.

The reason Ryan went to Michigan....left Michigan. So his situation changed...despite his efforts.

The situation being discussed here about Ten penny is not the same. He invested himself in Nick. And Nick is still there

If you want a closer example, I would say Broderick Green would serve the debate better.

However, both of those incoming transfers were approved by Bobby, not Bret. And both of them were positions of immediate need at the time.

So Bobby was probably more interested in the "right now" than he cared about overall policy. And even he ...stopped incoming transfers.
I'm not specifically discussing Tenpenny. I am referring to the blanket issue of taking any transfer that would have been offered by the Hogs, went somewhere else, and then decided Arkansas was a better fit, for whatever reason, and whether each case should be considered on a case by case basis.
All the details you mentioned concerning RM would seem to fall under the, it's OK to review each situation on a case by case basis if the details are palatable.
I prefer to get all D-1 Arkansas kids on the front end but in certain situations, see RM above, it would be acceptable to keep an open mind if it makes sense and it would help us be successful/win. Tenpenny is one of many very talented Arkansas players and 17-18 year old kids don't always make perfect decisions.
Referring to your details on Tenpenny, on his case by case basis it may not be the right move to accept him, if he wanted to transfer in.

" GO HOGS "

bulldog04

Quote from: steefhog on July 26, 2014, 07:43:37 am
That's a fair question.

Didn't Green have a very sick family member and that was the reason for coming here.   I'm not sure if anyone including BB would turn down a talent like Mallet.

greenie

Not that it means anything, but 247 just put up a couple of new crystal ball picks for Gragg to Ole Miss.

My Dad went to Ole Miss, but I hate those guys.

sawmill

Has there ever been an in-state recruit that waited late to commit or waited til signing day and chose the Hogs?  It seems if they want to be a Hog, they commit early.

Steef

Quote from: sawmill on July 27, 2014, 08:01:00 pm
Has there ever been an in-state recruit that waited late to commit or waited til signing day and chose the Hogs?  It seems if they want to be a Hog, they commit early.

Didn't the Winston kid hold out for a long time? Or am I remembering that wrong?