Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Gragg article on wholehogsports.com

Started by muddhogger, July 15, 2014, 02:40:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

muddhogger

I haven't seen this posted anywhere but Will Gragg gives a breakdown of why he chose the schools he did in his top six.

@wholehogsports: ICYMI: Here is an update on highly  touted Dumas TE Will Gragg. http://t.co/ZlDDZe3SGR http://t.co/OFJCMqUnAU

RyeHogFan

I'm still just not sure how to take his responses. It'd be nice to hear how the coaches and other recruits are doing trying to get him to Arkansas instead of just "Oh that's my home team so I don't need to say anything." Then again, perhaps his love for the home team and state will be what gives us the edge in the end.

Huds_HawgTide

"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

TNRazorbacker

July 25, 2014, 06:02:16 am #3 Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 06:19:21 am by TNRazorbacker
I think AR kids know early if they really want to be a Hog and we dont often win these grudge matches for top talent.

I also dont buy the cockamamie story about not taking a an official visit because he's already familiar with us. If you can seriously see yourself at a school why wouldn't you take the opportunity to come hang out with the staff and kids you'll be spending the next four years with. Most high school kids would jump at the chance.  For these reasons I'm not optimistic about him being a Hog.

The kid is a good ball player and I'd love to have him, but we aren't hurt that bad by not getting him. Bielema will recruit good tight ends. I frankly think it helps our recruiting ranking more than anything else.

Hog on the Hill

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on July 25, 2014, 06:02:16 am
I think AR kids know early if they really want to be a Hog and we dont often win these grudge matches for top talent.

I also dont buy the cockamamie story about not taking a an official visit because he's already familiar with us. If you can seriously see yourself at a school why wouldn't you take the opportunity to come hang out with the staff and kids you'll be spending the next four years with. Most high school kids would jump at the chance.  For these reasons I'm not optimistic about him being a Hog.

The kid is a good ball player and I'd love to have him, but we aren't hurt that bad by not getting him. Bielema will recruit good tight ends. I frankly think it helps our recruiting ranking more than anything else.
How is it a cockamamie story?  He's been on campus with the team dozens of times while his brother played up here.  It makes more sense to take his fifth official visit somewhere else so he can see a new place and have new experiences.  He's a teenager--of course he wants to travel around.

I don't know if he'll come play for us, but I don't think he needs to take an official visit here to make up his mind.

Choctaw Hog

July 25, 2014, 07:10:06 am #5 Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 09:34:37 am by Choctaw Hog
Quote from: Hog on the Hill on July 25, 2014, 06:29:05 am
How is it a cockamamie story?  He's been on campus with the team dozens of times while his brother played up here.  It makes more sense to take his fifth official visit somewhere else so he can see a new place and have new experiences.  He's a teenager--of course he wants to travel around.

I don't know if he'll come play for us, but I don't think he needs to take an official visit here to make up his mind.

There are things a school can do on an official visit that can't be done, within the rules, when a recruit just visits.  Not that it means that Gragg won't eventually sign with the Hogs but I would think that if an Arkansas player is really interested in the Hogs he would take an official visit.

Nonetheless, I'm not going to lose any sleep worrying about where Gragg ends up. If he wants to play for the Hogs then I would hope he would make an announcement sooner rather than later and then try to help the Hogs recruiting other players. 

However, I don't believe that's going to happen and it wouldn't surprise me if he landed elsewhere.  If so that's his choice and he will live with the consequences good or bad. I've personally grown weary of these high school recruits and all their recruiting drama, especially the multiple hat shtick.  But, we as fans have cultivated that type of behavior with the attention we bestow on them.

At some point in time this type of "hero worship" will all come crashing down and we as a society will look back and realize how insignificant sports and those who play it really are when compared to actual important things in life and we will wonder, what the hell were we thinking.  But, by that time it will be too late.         

The Hogfather

The grass is not always greener on the other side. 

I wonder if Tenpenny would make the same choice if he had it over again?  I doubt it, regardless of what he or anyone else might say. 

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Steef

Quote from: Hog on the Hill on July 25, 2014, 06:29:05 am

Holy Beans!

I agree with HOTH!

There isn't anything left to see, for young Mr Gragg on our campus. He knows everything he wants to know about us.

The fact that he DOES know all that...and still hasn't committed, does not bode well for us, imo.

Hope we get him. No idea. Kinda pessimistic.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on July 25, 2014, 07:10:06 am
There are things a school can do on an official visit that can't be done, within the rules, when a recruit just visits.  Not that it means that Gragg won't eventually sign with the Hogs but I would think that if an Arkansas player is really interested in the Hogs he would take an official visit.

Nonetheless, I'm not going to lose any sleep wording about where Gragg ends up. If he wants to play for the Hogs then I would hope he would make an announcement sooner rather than later and then try to help the Hogs recruiting other players. 

However, I don't believe that's going to happen and it wouldn't surprise me if he landed elsewhere.  If so that's his choice and he will live with the consequences good or bad. I've personally grown weary of these high school recruits and all their recruiting drama, especially the multiple hat shtick.  But, we as fans have cultivated that type of behavior with the attention we bestow on them.

At some point in time this type of "hero worship" will all come crashing down and we as a society will look back and realize how insignificant sports and those who play it really are when compared to actual important things in life and we will wonder, what the hell were we thinking.  But, by that time it will be too late.         

+1 really
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Hoggish1

IF we get him, that's great!

It's his life to live. Tennpenny is living his own life and Gragg needs to live life as he sees it...

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hoggish1 on July 25, 2014, 08:57:07 am
Tennpenny is living his own life and Gragg needs to live life as he sees it...

I'd just bet Tenpenny is living with some regret.

Porkahontas

You know, I think we're gonna land Gragg. It's starting to all make sense.

Remember, sometimes guys will be encouraged to take all their official visits to rival schools to A) see how other teams are recruiting, B) try to recruit commits and/or visitors to the other school, or possibly C) take advantage of some of the official visit perks that likely comes along with visiting a school like Ole Miss, Bama, or Texas.

Not saying Gragg is a silent commit by no means but it wouldn't surprise me in the least to find this out after the season.

SemperFi

Quote from: Porkahontas on July 25, 2014, 09:34:38 am
You know, I think we're gonna land Gragg. It's starting to all make sense.

Remember, sometimes guys will be encouraged to take all their official visits to rival schools to A) see how other teams are recruiting, B) try to recruit commits and/or visitors to the other school, or possibly C) take advantage of some of the official visit perks that likely comes along with visiting a school like Ole Miss, Bama, or Texas.

Not saying Gragg is a silent commit by no means but it wouldn't surprise me in the least to find this out after the season.

Sounds like a scene out of a 007 movie. I hope you're right, but I'm not feeling very optimistic about Gragg or Hill. He may know all there is to know about the UA and previous coaching staff's, but what does he really know about Coach B and his staff? It seems to me that you would want to take an OV to a place you're seriously considering rather than wasting an OV at a school that you'll be visiting two out of the four years as their opponent. Hope I'm wrong and that he's a Hog, but just not getting that warm fuzzy.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

secneahog

Quote from: SemperFi on July 25, 2014, 10:02:42 am
Sounds like a scene out of a 007 movie. I hope you're right, but I'm not feeling very optimistic about Gragg or Hill. He may know all there is to know about the UA and previous coaching staff's, but what does he really know about Coach B and his staff? It seems to me that you would want to take an OV to a place you're seriously considering rather than wasting an OV at a school that you'll be visiting two out of the four years as their opponent. Hope I'm wrong and that he's a Hog, but just not getting that warm fuzzy.

What does he really know about Coach B and this staff? 

I'm sure everything.

Gragg has been on campus a million times. He knows this staff and knows Fayetteville.
Because he's 17 18 years old and gets to fly for free to some of the hottest colleges in America, that has been blowing up wanting him to visit.

Does that scare me that he won't be a Hog?  Nope.

I think he will be a Hog. I think he understands what staying home and building something really means.

Jarius Wright is a Hog great and is very close to Gragg. Wright , Chris Gragg rebuilt Arkansas.

:razorback:
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Wildhog

A prospect taking five official visits, and committing to none of them, is pretty rare.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: Wildhog on July 25, 2014, 10:31:25 am
A prospect taking five official visits, and committing to none of them, is pretty rare.

Uncommon. I'll take it!
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

TNRazorbacker

Curious, when was the last time we landed a highly touted (i.e., multiple offers from BCS schools) recruit that didn't take an official visit (in state or out)?

secneahog

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on July 25, 2014, 10:41:50 am
Curious, when was the last time we landed a highly touted (i.e., multiple offers from BCS schools) recruit that didn't take an official visit (in state or out)?

Hunter Henry?   I think.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

secneahog

forrest city joe

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 25, 2014, 07:20:38 am
The grass is not always greener on the other side. 

I wonder if Tenpenny would make the same choice if he had it over again?  I doubt it, regardless of what he or anyone else might say. 
+ 1000. Steve" Spurrier brought it up in one of his interviews. he called Saban the best recruiter in the history of college football. said who else could get 4 and 5 star players to come and sit on the Bench.Tempenny knew Bama was stacked 5 deep when he went there. yet he went anyway.Bama is 4 and 5 deep at 4 and 5 stars almost every where. yet players keep running down there to get in line.makes no sense to me.but it is what it is.

Wildhog

Nick Saban said a few days ago that they have 3 really good running backs and 5 on scholarship.

Tenpenny is currently 4th string.
1909/1964/1965/1977

secneahog

They can ride the pine for years, maybe get a free nc ring. Might get a starting spot by the time they are seniors, maybe go to the NFL. Only rb to shine in the NFL currently is Lacey.

As long they make it to the NFL they don't care about who shines or not.

Hawgzinbowlz

I think Will is a player who is waiting to see how the season plays out.

6-6, or better, plus a bowl will likely get his attention.

" GO HOGS "

Hawg Red

Gragg is one of the more frustrating players to follow because you can't get a good read on him. In the end, doesn't matter as long as he picks the Hogs. And, even if he doesn't, we'll be okay because he's a TE. Not a position we will likely ever have to worry about under this staff. Like another poster said, it really helps our recruiting ranking the most. But, we likely don't get K.J. Hill if we don't get Gragg, and we really do need Hill, so there's that.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Wildhog on July 25, 2014, 10:58:17 am
Nick Saban said a few days ago that they have 3 really good running backs and 5 on scholarship.

Tenpenny is currently 4th string.
Tenpenny may be 5th string if Bo Scarbrough makes it there.Tenpenny  will never be a starter at Bama. not with the talent at RB they bring in every year.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawg Red

Quote from: Wildhog on July 25, 2014, 11:35:33 am
I'd take him back right now.

Same here. Hate it when kids leave but never have a problem with them coming back as long as they stay out of trouble (don't really care about AT getting caught with some grass).

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on July 25, 2014, 07:10:06 am

I took to heart what you said and so all morning I've been thinking about the Ukraine and the Middle East and where Lois Lerner's emails disappeared to,

check the news, the fighting should have stopped by now, been thinking about it for at least three hours straight.

oh, and looks like Lois Lerner don't like tea partiers........  sorry
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

forrest city joe

Nope. he made his decision and that is that. we have moved on. coach B has made it clear that if you leave, you are not welcome back here.and i agree with coach B.but this is the Gragg thread, so i will get it back on the subject. hope Gragg will be a Razorback. but nothing is for sure.

Hawg Red

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 25, 2014, 11:42:54 am
Nope. he made his decision and that is that. we have moved on. coach B has made it clear that if you leave, you are not welcome back here.and i agree with coach B.but this is the Gragg thread, so i will get it back on the subject. hope Gragg will be a Razorback. but nothing is for sure.

So you don't think Fred Gulley should have been allowed to transfer onto the basketball?

muddhogger

I'm with coach b, if you don't wanna be a razorback then don't try coming back when you sitting 3-5 deep behind guys better than you.

Hawg Red

Quote from: muddhogger on July 25, 2014, 11:53:21 am
I'm with coach b, if you don't wanna be a razorback then don't try coming back when you sitting 3-5 deep behind guys better than you.

Seems kinda petty to me.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 25, 2014, 11:51:44 am
So you don't think Fred Gulley should have been allowed to transfer onto the basketball?
That goes for any player who had a Razorback offer and said no. i have been clear about that over the years on this forum and others.i am 100% behind coach B on this one.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 25, 2014, 11:54:13 am
Seems kinda petty to me.
Not Petty, but the way it is. in state kids have to know that you don't get to go test out Bama and others,and come running back home when it does not work out.Arkansas is not some 2nd rate program. now let's get this thread back to Gragg.

Hawg Red

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 25, 2014, 12:20:19 pm
Not Petty, but the way it is. in state kids have to know that you don't get to go test out Bama and others,and come running back home when it does not work out.Arkansas is not some 2nd rate program. now let's get this thread back to Gragg.

They're kids. Bielema is an adult. I think the attitude of holding it against a KID for not picking your program originally is petty. A transfer is a transfer.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 25, 2014, 12:20:19 pm

This.

hogwild210

Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 25, 2014, 12:24:15 pm
They're kids. Bielema is an adult. I think the attitude of holding it against a KID for not picking your program originally is petty. A transfer is a transfer.
So coach B is wrong for feeling this way? give me a break! if top in-state players know they can leave and go test out Bama or Auburn,and see if they like it there. then run back to the Razorbacks if it does not work out. we will keep having players leave.coach B is right when he say they get 1 chance.to be a Razorback.

forrest city joe

Now can we please get this thread back on Will Gragg. he is a heck of a player. and i so hope he will be a Razorback.GO HOGS.

Wildhog

We're going to keep having players leave.  Just a fact.  But I'm not willing to turn away players that can help us.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogman99

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on July 25, 2014, 06:02:16 am

I agree with the above post.  It would be nice to have him, but it will not be a big blow if he does not choose us.  If you look at the past 5-7 years, not many if any of the top Arkansas recruits who went out of state became all conference or all american.  Lee Zimba was probably the one who had the best career. The others were role players, moved postions, or were dismissed from their teams.

muddhogger

I swear...there are some bitter people on this message board. No one can have an opinion without getting blasted by someone who doesn't agree. Plus getting smited for everything out of spite

Wildhog

Quote from: muddhogger on July 25, 2014, 12:54:54 pm
I swear...there are some bitter people on this message board. No one can have an opinion without getting blasted by someone who doesn't agree. Plus getting smited for everything out of spite

1909/1964/1965/1977

hogville38

I honestly doubt he would play here as well. In my eyes coming here would gain nothing for him. He would still most likely be 4th string. (On Tenpenny)

ricepig

Quote from: hogville38 on July 25, 2014, 12:56:59 pm
I honestly doubt he would play here as well. In my eyes coming here would gain nothing for him. He would still most likely be 4th string.

Might be higher than you think?????

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: muddhogger on July 25, 2014, 12:54:54 pm

Reported and smit.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

forrest city joe

Quote from: Wildhog on July 25, 2014, 12:51:24 pm
We're going to keep having players leave.  Just a fact.  But I'm not willing to turn away players that can help us.
Me and coach B disagree. i will leave it at that.this is Will Gragg's thread.