Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Two New 2015 BBall Targets

Started by RazorAg, July 14, 2014, 01:45:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorAg

Marquez Letcher 6'6-6'7 Combo F and Ted Kapita 6'8 Post.  Letcher is a highly athletic slasher that really turned some heads last week at the Reebok Breakout Challenge.  Kapita also turned heads at the LeBron James Skills Academy last week; so much that one service has already made him a 5 star.  No offer from us reportedly with Letcher while it's been reported that we've offered Kapita.

I don't know much about either of them right now; however, I'll be digging more soon.

The_Iceman

Great to see some new names. Are the coaches going after these guys hard?

RyeHogFan

It's gonna be hard to get Kapita away from the Gators.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: RyeHogFan on July 14, 2014, 02:51:24 pm

Yeah, after the weekend he reportedly turned in he probably won't be getting too much attention on this board.

Letcher though, is a target we can better compete for. UTEP, Bowling Green, UNLV, USC, DePaul, Va Tech & UNC-Wilmington are some of his known offers.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

klp1

Quote from: RyeHogFan on July 14, 2014, 02:51:24 pm

Some reports have the gators no longer involved.  There was some kind of falling out with his " people" after he announced he was going to Huntington prep.

still a long shot

mhuff

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 14, 2014, 02:12:45 pm
Great to see some new names. Are the coaches going after these guys hard?

RyeHogFan

Quote from: klp1 on July 14, 2014, 04:21:45 pm
Some reports have the gators no longer involved.  There was some kind of falling out with his " people" after he announced he was going to Huntington prep.

still a long shot

Who is his reported leader right now?

HawgAdvocate

3* LaGerald Vick ('15) & 5* Jaylen Fisher ('16) of Team Thad reportedly got Arkansas offers tonight.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 17, 2014, 09:04:21 am
LaGerald Vick:
http://sports.yahoo.com/memphis/basketball/recruiting/player-LaGerald-Vick-158430

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVlgFbM_E5E

Jaylen Fisher:
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/186671/jaylen-fisher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMXhfXHbiKY

I've heard of LaGerald Vick before..... Think Dudley mentioned him in a post when talking about targets.  First time hearing about us with interest in Jaylen Fisher.

I must admit though, I got mixed feelings about hearing new offers going out to SGs....  When it was quite and all we were just targeting was big men, made me feel the staff felt pretty comfortable about Whitt, because we will only have 1 guard spot available next year.  I know you can't put all your eggs in 1 basket and you have to have back-up plans, but just made me feel better about our chances.  I also would like to hear more about Dontae Fitzpatrick, he was a guy in February that had us in his top 4.  If we don't get Whitt, I always thought he wouldn't be a bad back-up plan.

RazorAg

Quote from: -Blu on July 17, 2014, 10:55:12 am
I've heard of LaGerald Vick before..... Think Dudley mentioned him in a post when talking about targets.  First time hearing about us with interest in Jaylen Fisher.

I must admit though, I got mixed feelings about hearing new offers going out to SGs....  When it was quite and all we were just targeting was big men, made me feel the staff felt pretty comfortable about Whitt, because we will only have 1 guard spot available next year.  I know you can't put all your eggs in 1 basket and you have to have back-up plans, but just made me feel better about our chances.  I also would like to hear more about Dontae Fitzpatrick, he was a guy in February that had us in his top 4.  If we don't get Whitt, I always thought he wouldn't be a bad back-up plan.

I've mentioned Vick here a few times, including this post: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=567105.msg8970421#msg8970421. I like Vick better than Fitzpatrick by the way.

My research showed that Fisher already had an offer from us, and I showed that in my post with all of our 2016 targets with their rankings. I was surprised to see Norton Hurd report that he got an offer yesterday.

-Blu

Quote from: RazorAg on July 17, 2014, 09:19:27 pm
I've mentioned Vick here a few times, including this post: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=567105.msg8970421#msg8970421. I like Vick better than Fitzpatrick by the way.

My research showed that Fisher already had an offer from us, and I showed that in my post with all of our 2016 targets with their rankings. I was surprised to see Norton Hurd report that he got an offer yesterday.

Cool.  You know how serious our staff is with these guys?  Meaning how how high they are on our board.  I'm starting to notice with our staff, and maybe other staffs do this as well, but sometimes we just offer guys and doesn't seem to be a serious pursuit of them, just kind of seems like an offer to throw people off the trail of what we are really doing.  Kinda like what you seen with Giddens, Morrow, Blackshear and all those guys.  You don't hear much about them, then you hear they got an offer, then never hear much else about them and when those guys do interviews we're never mentioned in the teams that are pursing them hard.

RazorAg

Quote from: -Blu on July 17, 2014, 10:02:59 pm
Cool.  You know how serious our staff is with these guys?  Meaning how how high they are on our board.  I'm starting to notice with our staff, and maybe other staffs do this as well, but sometimes we just offer guys and doesn't seem to be a serious pursuit of them, just kind of seems like an offer to throw people off the trail of what we are really doing.  Kinda like what you seen with Giddens, Morrow, Blackshear and all those guys.  You don't hear much about them, then you hear they got an offer, then never hear much else about them and when those guys do interviews we're never mentioned in the teams that are pursing them hard.

Although I've tried very hard, I haven't figured out our staff's official offer strategy. I'm unaware of how hard they are on Vick. Everything is so secret and publicly random.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: RazorAg on July 17, 2014, 10:18:59 pm
Although I've tried very hard, I haven't figured out our staff's official offer strategy. I'm unaware of how hard they are on Vick. Everything is so secret and publicly random.

True that.

-Blu

Glad I'm not alone in feeling that way, you really never know what are staff is doing, as far as offers and how high someone is on our list.  I know you follow B-Ball recruiting really closely, I know if you hadn't figured it out, probably only the staff knows.

But, just me putting 2 and 2 together, I think that some "offers" they give out are just "distraction" offers meaning they just publicly put out some names of guys they know that we don't realistically have a chance at and they get everyone focusing on that, but in reality their focus is on other recruits.  I think the reason they do this is because they like to get in on guys when they aren't as highly touted and try to build the relationships as strong as possible before their recruitment picks up, and they don't want other high major schools to know how long and/or how much effort they are putting into their recruitment, because it may make them put in more effort and take notice to that recruit when they normally wouldn't. 

The reason I say that is because some offers just don't make any sense to give out and waste time on, like Daniel Giddens for example, he was a strong Ohio State lean when we offered we had virtually no chance with him.  Everybody was wondering why we hadn't offered Juwan Morgan, because we had been recruiting him a long time and his recruitment was starting to blow up.  While everyone was thinking we were targeting Giddens, Blackshear, and Morrow we actually had Juwan Morgan on campus without anybody even knowing.

poloprince

MA has always recruited on the low.
$PoLoPrInCe$

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: -Blu on July 17, 2014, 10:46:18 pmBut, just me putting 2 and 2 together, I think that some "offers" they give out are just "distraction" offers meaning they just publicly put out some names of guys they know that we don't realistically have a chance at and they get everyone focusing on that, but in reality their focus is on other recruits.  I think the reason they do this is because they like to get in on guys when they aren't as highly touted and try to build the relationships as strong as possible before their recruitment picks up, and they don't want other high major schools to know how long and/or how much effort they are putting into their recruitment, because it may make them put in more effort and take notice to that recruit when they normally wouldn't. 

The reason I say that is because some offers just don't make any sense to give out and waste time on, like Daniel Giddens for example, he was a strong Ohio State lean when we offered we had virtually no chance with him.  Everybody was wondering why we hadn't offered Juwan Morgan, because we had been recruiting him a long time and his recruitment was starting to blow up.  While everyone was thinking we were targeting Giddens, Blackshear, and Morrow we actually had Juwan Morgan on campus without anybody even knowing.

LOL what?

mhuff

If you do not swing for the fences, you will not hit very many home runs unless they are inside the park HR's. I don't see us putting out a sustained effort for big time players...... not since Nolan. They practically have to choose us. You also have to have some hitters to get them to come. We are striking out on too many bunts.

The_Iceman

Quote from: mhuff on July 18, 2014, 12:21:08 pm
If you do not swing for the fences, you will not hit very many home runs unless they are inside the park HR's. I don't see us putting out a sustained effort for big time players...... not since Nolan. They practically have to choose us. You also have to have some hitters to get them to come. We are striking out on too many bunts.

But then why waste time and resources on players you know for sure have zero interest in you?

-Blu

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 18, 2014, 12:22:07 pm
But then why waste time and resources on players you know for sure have zero interest in you?

Especially if they are already a strong lean to another school.  Makes no sense to even offer or waste time on it.  Only thing I can think of for doing that is drawing attention away from primary targets, any other reason makes no sense.

Quote from: mhuff on July 18, 2014, 12:21:08 pm

I don't buy the whole "swing for fences" a staff knows if they have a chance at a target or not.  And some of our offers we give out doesn't seem to make sense, especially when targets don't even mention us in their offer lists, just a few weeks after we've offered.

mhuff

July 21, 2014, 11:44:09 am #21 Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 12:16:26 pm by mhuff

Well, if we want to continue projecting ourselves as poor little Arkansas who can't get anyone to come to our school.....OK........ I want to at least be in the conversation. I am tired of the same ole same ole. Aren't you? We need a coaching staff that can get us back again........ or we need an AD that gives a crap. Something has to be done to change the trend. Get a couple of great players and Arkansas can possibly be seen in a different light. I am hoping that will start next year...... not looking good for this year. I am also tired of saying well maybe next year. next year,,,, next year. When people are apathetic, you get SOS.

mhuff

I see your point on wasting time and resources on players that we have zero chance.......... Zero?  Our coaches attend tournaments all over the USA. They are scouting players and do that every year. How much does it cost to offer a player? Our FB team offers over a hundred players. Some players want to go out of state. Offer and see if anything happens. This is kinda like jr. high where you don't ask a girl out cause you are afraid of being turned down. Funny.... the girl was wanting you to ask and you never got the opportunity because you were afraid of rejection and failure.. It would help if we had some noted recruiters......We want players from Memphis.....right? How many coaches do we have from there? we don't...... That's our fault. But, it's ok..... we are improving .....right?    Umpah.

-Blu

Quote from: mhuff on July 21, 2014, 12:26:35 pm
I see your point on wasting time and resources on players that we have zero chance.......... Zero?  Our coaches attend tournaments all over the USA. They are scouting players and do that every year. How much does it cost to offer a player? Our FB team offers over a hundred players. Some players want to go out of state. Offer and see if anything happens. This is kinda like jr. high where you don't ask a girl out cause you are afraid of being turned down. Funny.... the girl was wanting you to ask and you never got the opportunity. It would help if we had some noted recruiters...... we don't...... That's our fault. But, it's ok..... we are improving .....right?    Umpah.

It doesn't work like the huff.  If all you do is watch them and then offer you've accomplished absolutely nothing, but wasted your time watching them and breath offering.  Even if they grew up a hog fan it takes more than that to get someone to commit to playing for you for 4 years.  It's not like a "jr high date" as you described, where you can just walk up to someone and say "wanna go out" and then you may have a shot. 

This is a life altering decision, not a 2 hours movie date.  I bet the percentage of a school walking up to a kid after just watching him play and then say you got an offer and they commit on that spot is 0%.  Even if they are a fan of your school, they are going to want to come visit the campus, talk to the coaching staff, hear how your going to use them, discuss playing time, and the parents are going to want to make sure they can trust a staff to help raise their kid for the next 4 year years.  And that's just the basics, that's not including the coaches checking on their grades, background, making sure they fit the chemistry with the team, and all that.  So each person you "offer" is going to take up time and resources, there is no way around that.

mhuff

Quote from: -Blu on July 21, 2014, 12:42:16 pm
It doesn't work like the huff.  If all you do is watch them and then offer you've accomplished absolutely nothing, but wasted your time watching them and breath offering.  Even if they grew up a hog fan it takes more than that to get someone to commit to playing for you for 4 years.  It's not like a "jr high date" as you described, where you can just walk up to someone and say "wanna go out" and then you may have a shot. 

This is a life altering decision, not a 2 hours movie date.  I bet the percentage of a school walking up to a kid after just watching him play and then say you got an offer and they commit on that spot is 0%.  Even if they are a fan of your school, they are going to want to come visit the campus, talk to the coaching staff, hear how your going to use them, discuss playing time, and the parents are going to want to make sure they can trust a staff to help raise their kid for the next 4 year years.  And that's just the basics, that's not including the coaches checking on their grades, background, making sure they fit the chemistry with the team, and all that.  So each person you "offer" is going to take up time and resources, there is no way around that.

I refer kids to colleges..... it gives the kid an opportunity to get on the radar. I know a little bit about it. I know if the coaches drag their butts around, they lose the opportunity to perhaps get the players. I have seen this first hand. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I have seen nothing that resembles aggressive recruiting by us .Sorry for the clichés ,but we are not offering..... SO DUH. But then again Nolan was not very aggressive his last few years either. Despite that we were on some big time players before the bottom fell out. We were on the minds of many players. Nolan could have used some recruiters on his staff as well.

-Blu

Quote from: mhuff on July 21, 2014, 01:27:00 pm
I refer kids to colleges..... it gives the kid an opportunity to get on the radar. I know a little bit about it. I know if the coaches drag their butts around, they lose the opportunity to perhaps get the players. I have seen this first hand. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I have seen nothing that resembles aggressive recruiting by us .Sorry for the clichés ,but we are not offering..... SO DUH. But then again Nolan was not very aggressive his last few years either. Despite that we were on some big time players before the bottom fell out. We were on the minds of many players. Nolan could have used some recruiters on his staff as well.

Don't take this the wrong way, I read what you said a couple of times, and I still have no idea what your talking about.  Are you saying we don't offer enough kids? or are you upset we offer too many?  I really don't know where your going with what your saying.

But, back on topic point I was saying is it's odd that we sometimes offer kids we have no shot at, I'd rather them put the resources into kids we have a shot with.  I believe that's what Iceman was getting at as well. And the staff knows if they have a shot at a kid or not.  Before they offer they should have spoken and built a relationship with that kid, and know if they have any interest in us or not.  Doesn't make sense to throw a bunch of offers around hoping to get lucky and hit "a homerun" doesn't work like that.  And seems like some fans think it does.

mhuff

Quote from: -Blu on July 21, 2014, 01:35:39 pm
Don't take this the wrong way, I read what you said a couple of times, and I still have no idea what your talking about.  Are you saying we don't offer enough kids? or are you upset we offer too many?  I really don't know where your going with what your saying.

But, back on topic point I was saying is it's odd that we sometimes offer kids we have no shot at, I'd rather them put the resources into kids we have a shot with.  I believe that's what Iceman was getting at as well. And the staff knows if they have a shot at a kid or not.  Before they offer they should have spoken and built a relationship with that kid, and know if they have any interest in us or not.  Doesn't make sense to throw a bunch of offers around hoping to get lucky and hit "a homerun" doesn't work like that.  And seems like some fans think it does.
Quote from: mhuff on July 21, 2014, 01:27:00 pm

Blu, I do not understand your confusion. No where did I say anything about offering too many. I have been consistent in stating they have not offered enough. It costs nothing to offer and see if there is a response. If nothing else, it gets our name out there. It takes little time to find out if there is an interest. You make it sound like they are just swamped.The analogy was all about not asking. If our staff can not handle the small area we recruit, something is wrong. Like I have said..... if we have success recruiting in 2016, it may turn the corner for us with elite recruits. I am not giving up on this year. I just don't see a rhyme or reason to our recruiting efforts period.

-Blu

Quote from: mhuff on July 21, 2014, 02:23:42 pm
Blu, I do not understand your confusion. No where did I say anything about offering too many. I have been consistent in stating they have not offered enough. It costs nothing to offer and see if there is a response. If nothing else, it gets our name out there. It takes little time to find out if there is an interest. You make it sound like they are just swamped.The analogy was all about not asking. If our staff can not handle the small area we recruit, something is wrong. Like I have said..... if we have success recruiting in 2016, it may turn the corner for us with elite recruits. I am not giving up on this year. I just don't see a rhyme or reason to our recruiting efforts period.

So, let me see if I understand you correctly. You just want them going out and offering any and every elite recruit they come in contact with?  Doesn't matter if they fit the system, interested in the school, or have the grades, they should just send them an offer to help get the schools name out?  Just my opinion, but that doesn't sound like a good idea, there is no school that does that, most schools have a set of key targets that they mostly focus on, this isn't football they don't have 25+ scholarships each year and a huge staff.  Basketball is 3 assistants and a head coach and on average about 2-4 open scholarships each year.

And yes, they are swamped, do you not know how much these guys travel and recruit, it's a 24/7 job, it's not like they are just sitting in the office all day twiddling their thumbs.  We can go back and forth all day on what the staff is doing, my suggestion would be if your interested in learning more about recruiting and follow it more closely to join a pay site, like scout or 247, you'll be able to get recruiting updates from the analysts and they'll tell you when the staff hits the road and who they are focusing on and all that.  It'll give you a better idea on what all goes into recruiting.

mhuff

Quote from: -Blu on July 21, 2014, 03:00:22 pm
So, let me see if I understand you correctly. You just want them going out and offering any and every elite recruit they come in contact with?  Doesn't matter if they fit the system, interested in the school, or have the grades, they should just send them an offer to help get the schools name out? Just my opinion, but that doesn't sound like a good idea, there is no school that does that, most schools have a set of key targets that they mostly focus on, this isn't football they don't have 25+ scholarships each year and a huge staff.  Basketball is 3 assistants and a head coach and on average about 2-4 open scholarships each year.

And yes, they are swamped, do you not know how much these guys travel and recruit, it's a 24/7 job, it's not like they are just sitting in the office all day twiddling their thumbs.  We can go back and forth all day on what the staff is doing, my suggestion would be if your interested in learning more about recruiting and follow it more closely to join a pay site, like scout or 247, you'll be able to get recruiting updates from the analysts and they'll tell you when the staff hits the road and who they are focusing on and all that.  It'll give you a better idea on what all goes into recruiting.

Blu, Blu...... not like your normal self. You must be writing some kind of fictional novel. I never said any of the things you have listed. You just paint this picture to make some ludicrous argument to refute my statement that they are not offering enough people. The idea of offering recruits regardless of needs or grades is irresponsible.

Your suggestion of subscribing to different sites is a good one if I cared what they were doing. There are times of the year that they are very busy. There is a lot of the time that they are not. Regardless, I salute you and others who do subscribe to these sites so that you share that info with the rest of us. Why not do some threads on that kind of info. I am sure that many on here would be interested in a report of their efforts. One does not read about their dedicated 24/7 efforts and their successful efforts often...... as we do in FB. I think we are playing "Welcome Wagon" a lot of the time and winning very few battles for elite talent. Recruiting is a sales job ,and we do not seem to have any salesmen. I still say a recruiter from Memphis would pay big dividends.

-Blu

Quote from: mhuff on July 21, 2014, 05:44:46 pm
Blu, Blu...... not like your normal self. You must be writing some kind of fictional novel. I never said any of the things you have listed. You just paint this picture to make some ludicrous argument to refute my statement that they are not offering enough people. The idea of offering recruits regardless of needs or grades is irresponsible.

Your suggestion of subscribing to different sites is a good one if I cared what they were doing. There are times of the year that they are very busy. There is a lot of the time that they are not. Regardless, I salute you and others who do subscribe to these sites so that you share that info with the rest of us. Why not do some threads on that kind of info. I am sure that many on here would be interested in a report of their efforts. One does not read about their dedicated 24/7 efforts and their successful efforts often...... as we do in FB. I think we are playing "Welcome Wagon" a lot of the time and winning very few battles for elite talent. Recruiting is a sales job ,and we do not seem to have any salesmen. I still say a recruiter from Memphis would pay big dividends.

LOL What are you talking about man?  Your the one talking about college basketball recruiting is like jr. high dating, now your talking about welcome wagons and sales jobs, I think your the one that's been reading a little too many novels here.  My whole point is staff needs to focus on recruits we have a realistic shot at, plain and simple.  As far as dating and sales jobs I have no idea what your even talking about with that.

But as far as offers.  We only have 2 open spots for 2015.  There are currently 13 known offers extended at this point.  And it's been said there are a few out that we don't know about.  So I'm not sure how many offers you want the staff to have out, but 13 offers out for 2 open spots ain't "slacking" or not being "aggressive".  I don't know if you know about verbal commits or not, but they usually update their stuff frequently.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/arkansas

mhuff

Quote from: -Blu on July 21, 2014, 06:04:17 pm
LOL What are you talking about man?  Your the one talking about college basketball recruiting is like jr. high dating, now your talking about welcome wagons and sales jobs, I think your the one that's been reading a little too many novels here.  My whole point is staff needs to focus on recruits we have a realistic shot at, plain and simple.  As far as dating and sales jobs I have no idea what your even talking about with that.

But as far as offers.  We only have 2 open spots for 2015.  There are currently 13 known offers extended at this point.  And it's been said there are a few out that we don't know about.  So I'm not sure how many offers you want the staff to have out, but 13 offers out for 2 open spots ain't "slacking" or not being "aggressive".  I don't know if you know about verbal commits or not, but they usually update their stuff frequently.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/arkansas

You have to close on a recruit just like a salesman selling someone on a product. Maybe you don't know much about sales or recruiting. Someone doing a "Welcome Wagon" approach to sells or recruiting is one who is real nice to those being recruited. So nice that when they say no their response is "Thank you for your time." The end result is failure to close the deal. Sorry about the jr. high analogy of not asking the girl out. I thought you might know what I was talking about. Now don't tell me you always asked them out ,and they always said yes. You sly devil, you. That's why you didn't know what I was talking about. These were just common analogies that most people are familiar with. It's no big deal. Why make it one?

How many commits do we have now?

-Blu

Quote from: mhuff on July 21, 2014, 06:20:32 pm
You have to close on a recruit just like a salesman selling someone on a product. Maybe you don't know much about sales or recruiting. Someone doing a "Welcome Wagon" approach to sells or recruiting is one who is real nice to those being recruited. So nice that when they say no their response is "Thank you for your time." The end result is failure to close the deal. Sorry about the jr. high analogy of not asking the girl out. I thought you might know what I was talking about. Now don't tell me you always asked them out ,and they always said yes. You sly devil, you. That's why you didn't know what I was talking about. These were just common analogies that most people are familiar with. It's no big deal. Why make it one?

How many commits do we have now?

I know the analogies, I just didn't understand how they are relevant to basketball recruiting, it's not the same.  While you do have to "sell" your program to the kid it's much more personal than just a sale.  Choosing a college is the biggest decision most kids will make up until that point in their life, it's not like buying a car.  It's months and years of building a relationship.

And it's July the vast majority of schools don't have any commitments right now for 2015.  Most of the top 100 kids are still uncommitted. 

mhuff

July 21, 2014, 07:29:22 pm #32 Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 01:18:55 pm by mhuff
Quote from: -Blu on July 21, 2014, 06:58:06 pm
I know the analogies, I just didn't understand how they are relevant to basketball recruiting, it's not the same.  While you do have to "sell" your program to the kid it's much more personal than just a sale.  Choosing a college is the biggest decision most kids will make up until that point in their life, it's not like buying a car.  It's months and years of building a relationship.

And it's July the vast majority of schools don't have any commitments right now for 2015.  Most of the top 100 kids are still uncommitted. 

Oh, I agree with your statement about most of the recruits are uncommitted. I was just making the point that we have no commitments yet. Many others do not as well.

You paint a  nice picture ,and it is in many cases. The Whitt player has been recruited by us since the ninth grade. Here is a case where he is friends with some of the staff. It sounds like his family is important to him and he has formed relationships with MA and staff for years. This is optimal. Now we will have to close the deal. Yeah, it is more personal than selling a car.... sometimes it is the recruit getting a car, or $10,000 ,or $40,000. It is all part of the deal between player and salesman. All coaches are salesmen to a certain degree. They have to sell their program and school. It all just depends on the character of the people involved as to the method and price. I would say a free college education would be sufficient....... now schools don't give more than that.....do they?

Blu, I will say again; we are not going after enough quality players. How many times do we see us offer someone and they commit to someone that very week. I would say that is a day late and a dollar short. Still, I would rather we offer late. Players change their minds. It makes us visible to other team mates. There are benefits for making the offer. Also,you gotta have a lot of ABCD plans. Players fall through and you have to have backup plans. If we have 13 offers , that is good. Now go compare that to past years. Also, take into consideration that we have two openings. Are we guaranteed that there won't be anyone transfer or go overseas to play. I am going to be surprised if those numbers stay the same....... never know.

swinesation

Hawg Red

mhuff playing the role of Hawg Red.

PonderinHog

mhuff

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 23, 2014, 08:31:13 am
mhuff playing the role of Hawg Red.

LOL.... I respect Blu and Iceman for their contributions and opinions.... We just don't have to be clones. If you will look at past years, you will see that we are at about the half way mark on number of recruits offered.... maybe one or two over. I did not realize a simple statement could be twisted and perverted so badly. However, if you don't offer, I doubt many are going to ask us. It is obvious we nee better recruiters.

I used to deer hunt with a psychologist. I always enjoyed hunting with him because at the end of the day he didn't say, "Now how do you feel since you didn't get a deer?"  ;D

mhuff

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 23, 2014, 08:39:46 am
What was the question ???

If you paddle a canoe down a FB field, how many pancakes does it take to fill up a doghouse.

ricepig

Quote from: mhuff on July 23, 2014, 02:32:11 pm
If you paddle a canoe down a FB field, how many pancakes does it take to fill up a doghouse.

Regular, or Silver Dollar size?

mhuff

Quote from: ricepig on July 23, 2014, 03:10:21 pm
Regular, or Silver Dollar size?

Depends on which way the wind is blowing.

HawgnCorona

I agree, like Daniel Giddens? We seem to do best with guys that are under the radar and those we have been recruiting for a long period of time like JW.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

mhuff

Quote from: HawgnCorona on July 24, 2014, 02:29:51 pm
I agree, like Daniel Giddens? We seem to do best with guys that are under the radar and those we have been recruiting for a long period of time like JW.

Look, I think we should definitely take advantage of all ties we have ,but you have to go after the horses too. This attitude of not pursuing good players because we don't stand a chance is a losers attitude. If you give up without trying, you are a loser. Do you think our FB coach is telling his staff..... only go after sleepers, we can't get the good ones. You will never be a winner by giving up before you ever start. In BB a new approach is needed. I guarantee you a coach from Memphis would reap rewards. Why is Todd Day and Dwight Stewart not sending players our way...... afraid of getting on the wrong side of Memphis people. Todd Day would make a good coach and recruiter FOR US.

Another coach from St. Louis or Oklahoma City would also likely reap rewards.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: mhuff on July 24, 2014, 02:43:34 pm
Look, I think we should definitely take advantage of all ties we have ,but you have to go after the horses too. This attitude of not pursuing good players because we don't stand a chance is a losers attitude. If you give up without trying, you are a loser. Do you think our FB coach is telling his staff..... only go after sleepers, we can't get the good ones. You will never be a winner by giving up before you ever start. In BB a new approach is needed. I guarantee you a coach from Memphis would reap rewards. Why is Todd Day and Dwight Stewart not sending players our way...... afraid of getting on the wrong side of Memphis people. Todd Day would make a good coach and recruiter FOR US.

One thing I continually notice is that whenever I see a 'what coaches are at this event' tweet from one of the many recruiting writers I follow, I rarely (if ever) see Arkansas represented.

For example, just a half hour ago, Adam Finkelstein of ESPN tweeted that "Providence, South Carolina, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Syracuse among those schools here at @BattleofBorders."

Honestly, I do not recall the last time I saw Arkansas being represented for being in attendance (aside from Arkansas media) of an AAU or some other prep event. Most often it's the big programs who get mentioned, but there are plenty of times we should/could be mentioned alongside some of these other programs, and we're simply not.

I mention this because, while I'm certain we have coaches at these events scouting and being visible to whatever recruit(s) they are watching, perhaps there is an issue with our assistants not being nearly as recognizable as some of the others who are being noticed much more consistently. Are they sitting where they can't be seen? Are they late to these events? Do they wear Razorback colors? Who knows?

HawgnCorona

Quote from: mhuff on July 24, 2014, 02:43:34 pm

Losers attitude? I doubt it. How about being efficient? Say what you will recruiting is all about relationships especially for us. Giddens is a lock for tOSU...

Now that said Im all for going full throttle for DeRon Davis. We have been on him for quite a while and he has camped here.

We are better positioned for him based on a relationship built over time. Whether we reel him in or not remains to be seen.

Indiana is stiff competition. Besides we dont have a program thats top shelf, YET. To offer late and expect to get 4 and 5* recruits but we are moving in that direction.

And that has nothing to do with a loser mentality...thanks for trying though.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

mhuff

July 24, 2014, 03:31:54 pm #44 Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 04:06:29 pm by mhuff
Quote from: HawgnCorona on July 24, 2014, 03:08:19 pm
Losers attitude? I doubt it. How about being efficient? Say what you will recruiting is all about relationships especially for us. Giddens is a lock for tOSU...

Now that said Im all for going full throttle for DeRon Davis. We have been on him for quite a while and he has camped here.

We are better positioned for him based on a relationship built over time. Whether we reel him in or not remains to be seen.

Indiana is stiff competition. Besides we dont have a program thats top shelf, YET. To offer late and expect to get 4 and 5* recruits but we are moving in that direction.

And that has nothing to do with a loser mentality...thanks for trying though.

Giddens is a Ohio State lock. Perhaps we should get a better jump on these players. Right now we have offered half of who we have offered in a normal recruiting year during the last three years.

Anybody who gives up before they even start is a loser period.

I said that relationships are important and ties. You should use every advantage you can get, but if you give up without an effort, you are not a winner and never will be. NEVER. I would like to see aggressive recruiting instead of half efforts. That is a general statement in regards to any school. Are you happy with our efforts and the results thus far this year.

mhuff

July 24, 2014, 03:49:12 pm #45 Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 04:03:58 pm by mhuff
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 24, 2014, 03:03:35 pm
One thing I continually notice is that whenever I see a 'what coaches are at this event' tweet from one of the many recruiting writers I follow, I rarely (if ever) see Arkansas represented.

For example, just a half hour ago, Adam Finkelstein of ESPN tweeted that "Providence, South Carolina, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Syracuse among those schools here at @BattleofBorders."

Honestly, I do not recall the last time I saw Arkansas being represented for being in attendance (aside from Arkansas media) of an AAU or some other prep event. Most often it's the big programs who get mentioned, but there are plenty of times we should/could be mentioned alongside some of these other programs, and we're simply not.

I mention this because, while I'm certain we have coaches at these events scouting and being visible to whatever recruit(s) they are watching, perhaps there is an issue with our assistants not being nearly as recognizable as some of the others who are being noticed much more consistently. Are they sitting where they can't be seen? Are they late to these events? Do they wear Razorback colors? Who knows?

Hogcorona says we are being efficient. What is efficient about not getting results. Efficient by the very nature of the word means doing something successfully. Hogcorona , do not take offense, I realize it is early yet. But, show me a good loser ,and I will show you a loser. If the staff or head coach can't get the job done, we need people who can. But, it only takes a class or so to turn the tide. I think next year could be the best recruiting class we have seen in the last 10 or 15 years. I was optimistic about this year as well. Something is going to have to happen positive. I am hoping MA is on some players and keeping his cards close to his vest. The jury is still out.

What will you all accept as a successful recruiting year?

HA, in past years I do remember where MA was at this or that tournament and other staff members were at another. However, I made reference in the last week to FB coaches being publicized as recruiting at such and such a h.s.. But, you rarely see anything on BB. I do not know how we would ever find out how much is spent on recruiting comparatively speaking with other schools. But, I sure would like to see. Also, how many days are spent on the recruiting trails.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: mhuff on July 24, 2014, 03:49:12 pm
Hogcorona says we are being efficient. What is efficient about not getting results. Hogcorona , do not take offense, I realize it is early yet. But, show me a good loser ,and I will show you a loser. If the staff or head coach can't get the job done, we need people who can. But, it only takes a class or so to turn the tide. I think next year could be the best recruiting class we have seen in the last 10 or 15 years. I was optimistic about this year as well. Something is going to have to happen positive. I am hoping MA is on some players and keeping his cards close to his vest. The jury is still out.

What will you all accept as a successful recruiting year?

It's pretty tough to say, with any certainty, how our staff chooses to attack recruiting, considering our own resident experts (RazorAg being one) have posted that they are a bit unsure how and why our staff chooses to approach recruiting as they do, based on recent history.

In the instances of Giddens or a guy like De'Aaron Fox, these are players who our staff supposedly offered well before they ever first mentioned us as having offered, leading to the perception that we are simply tossing out aggressive offers just to see if we'll get enough of a bite that we can then pursue them further, or that we're just another scholarship offer that the recruit decided to mention upon being asked by whatever reporter is asking.

With only two known openings, it does make sense that this would be the year to be a bit more conservative with our recruiting, especially since we know that we want Jimmy Whitt to claim one of those two spots. It is always nice hearing how our staff has spent years building a relationship with a recruit, much like we have with Whitt. There just needs to be a lot more of these relationship-building stories from Arkansas moving forward.

mhuff

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 24, 2014, 04:08:56 pm
It's pretty tough to say, with any certainty, how our staff chooses to attack recruiting, considering our own resident experts (RazorAg being one) have posted that they are a bit unsure how and why our staff chooses to approach recruiting as they do, based on recent history.

In the instances of Giddens or a guy like De'Aaron Fox, these are players who our staff supposedly offered well before they ever first mentioned us as having offered, leading to the perception that we are simply tossing out aggressive offers just to see if we'll get enough of a bite that we can then pursue them further, or that we're just another scholarship offer that the recruit decided to mention upon being asked by whatever reporter is asking.

With only two known openings, it does make sense that this would be the year to be a bit more conservative with our recruiting, especially since we know that we want Jimmy Whitt to claim one of those two spots. It is always nice hearing how our staff has spent years building a relationship with a recruit, much like we have with Whitt. There just needs to be a lot more of these relationship-building stories from Arkansas moving forward.

Although we have not been successful in getting the big time players out of Memphis , MA has established relations there over the years with numerous players. That is why we need a coach and recruiter from Memphis. I do not think MA by himself is gonna get it done.

I asked today about Adrian Moore, a L.R. player. Is it too early to hear whether he is interested in us. We have to win the instate battles the vast majority of times. Certainly we have the time to form relations with these players.

In the case of Giddens or other recruits, I do believe in getting your name out there early. I think early is better than late or not at all. I think it's better to be aggressive rather than being a wienie.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: mhuff on July 24, 2014, 03:31:54 pm
Giddens is a Ohio State lock. Perhaps we should get a better jump on these players. Right now we have offered half of who we have offered in a normal recruiting year during the last three years.

Anybody who gives up before they even start is a loser period.

I said that relationships are important and ties. You should use every advantage you can get, but if you give up without an effort, you are not a winner and never will be. NEVER. I would like to see aggressive recruiting instead of half efforts. That is a general statement in regards to any school. Are you happy with our efforts and the results thus far this year.

And that is good if we get in on them 3-4yrs out...Like an Isaiah Jasey at PF/C 2017. Not sure why you would think anyone is giving up though. Aggressive recruiting I would say is subjective though.

Am i happy so far, lets just say i have no reason to be upset...We haven't signed anyone. Beside im only upset win we lose...We can do that with 5* players as well as 3* players.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: mhuff on July 24, 2014, 04:35:40 pm
Although we have not been successful in getting the big time players out of Memphis , MA has established relations there over the years with numerous players. That is why we need a coach and recruiter from Memphis. I do not think MA by himself is gonna get it done.

I asked today about Adrian Moore, a L.R. player. Is it too early to hear whether he is interested in us. We have to win the instate battles the vast majority of times. Certainly we have the time to form relations with these players.

Last I saw, as of mid-June, Moore had gotten offers from Wake Forest, LaSalle, & Baylor. Arkansas is said to be showing interest, as is Vandy and Cal.

Moore has recently been quoted as saying he and Coach Watkins text each other quite often, and that MA told him about a year ago that he would not let him leave the state. He'll likely be a Hog if and when he's given the opportunity.