Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wally Hall question.

Started by muddhogger, July 14, 2014, 12:33:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

muddhogger

Not a fan of the little man himself but Wally Hall asked this question on twitter this morning and thought it would make for a good discussion.

@WallyLikeItIs: Will Gus Malzahn suspend Nick Marshall, who was allegedly caught with some marijuana, for the first game, which happens to be Arkansas.

hoggusamoungus

When asked if Nick Marshall could be suspended for the season opener vs. Arkansas, Malzahn said "I'm not at that point yet." #SECMD14

Illinihog

He wasn't arrested for the Marijuana, so I doubt he gets suspended.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on July 14, 2014, 12:35:43 pm
When asked if Nick Marshall could be suspended for the season opener vs. Arkansas, Malzahn said "I'm not at that point yet." #SECMD14
Well thanks for clearing that up, Gus.

SuperHog32

there is no way Marshall gets suspended for the season opener unless he gets in trouble again. 

muddhogger

Quote from: CallMeHog on July 14, 2014, 12:38:20 pm
Well thanks for clearing that up, Gus.
Haha I think there's no way ole Gus suspends him for the game against  us. I would be suprised if he does. Gus wants to win at any cost why else take a guy (nick Marshall) who was kicked off Georgia's team for stealing from his own teammates!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: SuperHog32 on July 14, 2014, 12:39:18 pm
there is no way Marshall gets suspended for the season opener unless he gets in trouble again.
......and again...and again....and again...and again. Then he might get suspended for the first half.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

muddhogger

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 14, 2014, 12:44:00 pm
......and again...and again....and again...and again. Then he might get suspended for the first half.

Terrell Pryor all over again and won't be able to break the 2 deep in the NFL if it involved rolling doobies with his college English papers

Calling All Hogs

go hogues

Quote from: SuperHog32 on July 14, 2014, 12:39:18 pm
This.
The SEC media days ban is his punishment.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Dr. Starcs

Auburn would still be favored with their backup qb. I could see Gus doing it just to prove he doesn't need his starter to beat us.

Wildhog

Did we suspend Mallett for his public intox?
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawgsalot

Nope Petrino's discipline was a lot like Gus's

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on July 14, 2014, 12:48:48 pm

Yep, he was not allowed to pee in a cup the rest of the year.

Wildhog

I'm all for bad things happening to AU, but if I act upset over this, it would just be faux outrage. 

A suspension would probably be a little over the top.  How much weed did he have on him?
1909/1964/1965/1977

weresoclose

Quote from: ricepig on July 14, 2014, 12:51:51 pm
Yep, he was not allowed to pee in a cup the rest of the year.

*rimshot*

muddhogger

Not defending mallet for what he did but getting drunk isn't illegal but smoking pot is. I'm sure mallatt had some type of punishment for his public intox.

Wildhog

Apparently what Mallett did was illegal, too, or he wouldn't have been arrested for it.  Or cited.  or whatever it was that happened.

I ain't getting up in arms about a little weed.  Sorry.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ijustpork

Quote from: muddhogger on July 14, 2014, 12:56:40 pm
Not defending mallet for what he did but getting drunk isn't illegal but smoking pot is. I'm sure mallatt had some type of punishment for his public intox.

Being drunk in public is illegal..try another spin

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Wildhog on July 14, 2014, 12:54:24 pm
I'm all for bad things happening to AU, but if I act upset over this, it would just be faux outrage. 

A suspension would probably be a little over the top.  How much weed did he have on him?

"Marshall had 8 to 9 grams of marijuana in the visor of his purple Dodge Charger, according to police." This is what the article on al.com said. Funny about the Charger though, seeing as everyone says Bama gives those out to their paid-to-play players.
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

hogman99

Quote from: Wildhog on July 14, 2014, 12:48:48 pm

No, but it cost him millions of dollars when all this came up before the draft. 

DoggtownHog

I don't care about some college kid smoking pot. They only run about 4 plays, so it's no like he needs a huge memory.
How stupid a man is depends on where he's standing.

RyeHogFan

One of two things will happen: 1) Gus will come out sometime during the fall practice and declare that Marshall has been sufficiently punished, has done everything they asked him to, and has been a model citizen and a team leader. 2) In order to appear that he has been really "tough" in his handling of the situation, Gus will not allow Marshall to start, but he will be coming in after the first drive or two.

Mark it down. Book it. Take it to the bank. It's the SOP of major college athletics. 

jkstock04

Zero chance. Wally Hall knows this, he's just trying to stir the pot.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

pigroots

Yeah the fact that he only got caught with a little means he didn't ever have anymore....and it was probably his first time...and it ought to be legalized anyway....AND it's still hypocritical of Gus and the AU folks to act like they really care about morals and ethics. It's about wins baby and his decisions demonstrate that

muddhogger

Quote from: ijustpork on July 14, 2014, 01:06:47 pm

Being drunk in public is illegal..try another spin
I didn't say drunk in public, I just said getting drunk. Go flex your finger muscle to someone else. Your right drunk in public is illegal and he should have been punished. I was just making a point about the difference legally between drinking alcohol and smoking weed.

HamIAm

Coachspeak: I'm not at that point yet.
Translation:  Is that all you've got?

Dr. Starcs

Off field issues didnt seem to hurt Johnny foosball.

Locutus_of_Boar

Gus will drop the book on Marshall.  However he will claim in the post game interview it accidentally fell on the foot of an Auburn defender who will suddenly drop to the turf in agony the first time Arkansas drives inside the red zone.

Vantage 8 dude

And I can promise you ole Gussie won't be by the end of the season either.

hobhog

Gus didnt address it at meeting. He is as good as Saban when it comes to blowing off questions. That was one boring interview/question session.

Not a big fan of Gus, but coach B could take a lesson on that front....

Wildhog

Quote from: WILL CLINTON on July 14, 2014, 01:25:29 pm
"Marshall had 8 to 9 grams of marijuana in the visor of his purple Dodge Charger, according to police." This is what the article on al.com said. Funny about the Charger though, seeing as everyone says Bama gives those out to their paid-to-play players.

So a little over a quarter?

Meeeehhh...
1909/1964/1965/1977

MJ2

The danger in having him suspended is that the backup may be better.   Then we'd be getting beat by a team using their backup QB.   I'd rather them be at full strength.

hobhog

Quote from: MJ2 on July 14, 2014, 03:17:01 pm
The danger in having him suspended is that the backup may be better.   Then we'd be getting beat by a team using their backup QB.   I'd rather them be at full strength.

I'll take my chances with the backup.....jitters and less experience can only help us get an early break.

ricepig

Quote from: MJ2 on July 14, 2014, 03:17:01 pm

The backup QB is always better, don't you understand the interwebs?

LZH

How close are we to the point (especially in the SEC) where kids can screw up like this and his coach can literally come out and say "hey I get paid to win football games and not to babysit"?

It's a mini-NFL now anyway, so are we almost there with the disciplining of players?  In other words, can a coach say that and everyone not throw a fit?

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on July 14, 2014, 03:27:22 pm
How close are we to the point (especially in the SEC) where kids can screw up like this and his coach can literally come out and say "hey I get paid to win football games and not to babysit"?

It's a mini-NFL now anyway, so are we almost there with the disciplining of players?  In other words, can a coach say that and everyone not throw a fit?

Not close, or I hope as an alum we don't go that far.

Oklahawg

Quoting from another thread:

Quote from: Pork Twain on July 14, 2014, 03:16:07 pm
According to this he was not arrested.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/07/police_chief_says_teary-eyed_n.html

Marshall faces a fine totaling $1,100 and will not be required to appear in court Sept. 10 if he pays the fine. He was not arrested during the traffic stop.

Marshall had 8 to 9 grams of marijuana in the visor of his purple Dodge Charger, according to police.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2014/07/11/auburn-tigers-football-quarterback-nick-marshall-marijuana-possession/12552483/

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/13/teary-eyed-nick-marshall-very-regretful-during-pot-citation/

If accurate, not being arrested, read your rights, hauled to jail, get your one phone call, etc, etc., is a different critter than "here's a ticket for speeding, and, oh by the way, here's a ticket for possession of an illegal substance."

If the latter, he shouldn't be suspended. If the former, he should be booted from the team (as a previous violator of state laws and a former scholarship player at a D1 school who was kicked off the team for fracturing a state law...he should have a behavior clause attached to his scholarship). IF he had no prior issues anywhere he should be suspended a few games.

Tough road for Gus, as the kid could even hire a good Auburn lawyer (lord knows, there are a lot of them getting plenty of work) and get off of the charges...but not before the suspension would have to come down. Gus has to get out his scalpel and carefully dissect this beast so it doesn't implode. He can, and I presume he will. He has as track record of this - give them a chance, and not poke around their personal business too closely (the poking around business is left to others).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on July 14, 2014, 03:30:12 pm
Not close, or I hope as an alum we don't go that far.

With the pay-to-play issues and the 'semi-pro' thing being likely one day I just wonder how important the integrity recruiting pitch will be down the road.  It don't remember a whole lot of anything but people rolling their eyes when Miles let the team 'vote' on that kid playing a year or two ago.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on July 14, 2014, 03:44:12 pm
With the pay-to-play issues and the 'semi-pro' thing being likely one day I just wonder how important the integrity recruiting pitch will be down the road.  It don't remember a whole lot of anything but people rolling their eyes when Miles let the team 'vote' on that kid playing a year or two ago.

Doesn't make it right.

lefty08

Quote from: Wildhog on July 14, 2014, 12:54:24 pm

Why do people keep.saying this? Its only because he smoked the rest.....
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Wildhog

Quote from: lefty08 on July 14, 2014, 04:17:26 pm

Why do I care?
1909/1964/1965/1977

weresoclose

Quote from: lefty08 on July 14, 2014, 04:17:26 pm

That's what you do with marijuana.  You ingest it.  You don't look at it and do sexual things with it.  You smoke it, you eat it, you reap the benefits from it.

Josh Goforth

Quote from: muddhogger on July 14, 2014, 01:43:38 pm

I didn't say drunk in public, I just said getting drunk. Go flex your finger muscle to someone else. Your right drunk in public is illegal and he should have been punished. I was just making a point about the difference legally between drinking alcohol and smoking weed.
"Smoking weed" isn't illegal either, but possessing marijuana is illegal. For that amount it is the same citation as an under 21 minor being in possession of alcohol. Which if he was intoxicated by the pot at the time they should have arrested him for DUI drugs, and cited for the small amount.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: jkstock04 on July 14, 2014, 01:41:45 pm
Zero chance. Wally Hall knows this, he's just trying to stir the pot.

This. He's desperate. Sad that at this stage in his career.

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 14, 2014, 07:30:01 pm
This. He's desperate. Sad that at this stage in his career.

Career?? Loose definition of the word.

elkhog

When asked if Nick Marshall could be suspended for the season opener vs. Arkansas, Malzahn said “I’m not at that point yet.” #SECMD14

IOW, No. 
I think Gus made it clear his punishment was not going to SEC media days.
GO HOGS!!!

OLDHOG

Quote from: DoggtownHog on July 14, 2014, 01:26:25 pm
I don't care about some college kid smoking pot. They only run about 4 plays, so it's no like he needs a huge memory.
now that's funny right there. I don't care what anybody says.

lefty08

Quote from: elkhog on July 14, 2014, 07:35:00 pm
IOW, No. 
I think Gus made it clear his punishment was not going to SEC media days.

which is a joke in itself, just further protecting the kid for screwing up. make the man look the camera in the eye and answer the tough questions.
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

(notOM)Rebel123