Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Well, we know Nick Marshall's punishment

Started by ricepig, July 13, 2014, 08:37:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ChitownHawg

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 13, 2014, 10:11:02 pm
But why should you or i care ? he is not our coach, so i don't care what he does. not talking about you. but this hate and  jealousy of Gus needs to end.he is the coach at Auburn.

To this point I do agree with you Joe.  I don't care enough to start a thread on this, but weeks before camp starts I am bored enough to post my thoughts.  :D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: H0gn0x10u5 on July 14, 2014, 01:45:57 am
Just where in the heck is your Unc spraying for bugs at? They have a shampoo for that, no need for pesticides...

Spraying for crabs.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ricepig

Quote from: popcornhog on July 13, 2014, 11:41:01 pm
Serious question because I don't know and I'm not finding anything on a quick google search.

Is this his first offense?

At Auburn, JUCO, Georgia, or high school??

popcornhog

Quote from: ricepig on July 14, 2014, 06:21:35 am
At Auburn, JUCO, Georgia, or high school??

Guess I don't know the background.

If he agreed to some sort of arrangement of harsher punishment when arriving on campus at AU due to his background then the school should stick to it 100%.

Otherwise I don't really have a problem with them treating it as a first offense (although I'm sure Bielema would be much tougher in the same situation). Hell, Bielema wouldn't have taken him in the first place if he has juco, high school, and UGA history like you're suggesting.

Marijuana possession is just such a minor misdemeanor that I don't think it matters much. As a coach I'd probably give a kid three strikes on marijuana possession. At that point though, they're in big trouble -- done or at least suspended for a long time. Total disregard for rules at that point.

Now if we're talking performance enhancing drugs, different deal.
WPS

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 13, 2014, 11:57:17 pm
Gus is not the one beat the hell out of us 52 to 0, Saban is. so why be so pissed at Gus and not Saban? see we both can play that game.
And I suppose Gus is going into games with plans to let us win?

Guess what?  Opposing coaches go out there with the plan of beating us.  Wasn't Gus the one that put in Dyer to run down the clock a few years ago, after beating us with his bought and paid for qb?  Sounds like you have a case of selective outrage.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

rljjr

Maybe they'll add a rolled joint to their picture boards to indicate a QB sneak.

acey33

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 13, 2014, 08:53:28 pm
Why are some Razorback fans so worried about Gus and how he runs his program ? Gus is a hell of a good football coach who wins a lot of games.in his first year at AU he beat Nick Saban and played for the national Championship. seems to me there is a lot of  jealousy. let it go people.

+1 Agree 100% lets worry about the Hogs

three hog night

Why are some Razorback fans so worried about Gus and how he runs his program ? Gus is a hell of a good football coach who wins a lot of games.in his first year at AU he beat Nick Saban and played for the national Championship. seems to me there is a lot of  jealousy. let it go people.

The Gus fans have as much blame in this issue as anyone.   The Gus fans and Gus haters are keeping this stirred up.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

pigture perfect

What makes Gus any different than Phat Phil, Nick Satan, Lester the Cud Chewer Miles and some of the other coaches we love to hate around the SEC? If we want to bash him that's acceptable. But it's not jealousy. There are other words for it, but they aren't coming to me right now.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Ex-Trumpet

It is possible to admire a coach or an opposing team...and still want to beat the darn out of them!  Even the biggest rivals respect their opponent; otherwise, there would be no rivalry at all.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Kingfish

Quote from: popcornhog on July 14, 2014, 07:21:52 am
...As a coach I'd probably give a kid three strikes on marijuana possession. At that point though, they're in big trouble -- done or at least suspended for a long time. Total disregard for rules at that point.

Don't want to be 'that guy' but, this reminds me of the 'joke', "What do you tell a woman with two black eyes...?"

If he disregarded the rules once getting caught with pot, total disregard to me would be the second strike!  Wouldn't need the third "failure" to be gone, you already told him twice!  But that's just me... 

nextlevel

Quote from: popcornhog on July 14, 2014, 07:21:52 am
Marijuana possession is just such a minor misdemeanor that I don't think it matters much. As a coach I'd probably give a kid three strikes on marijuana possession. At that point though, they're in big trouble -- done or at least suspended for a long time. Total disregard for rules at that point.

Now if we're talking performance enhancing drugs, different deal.

A Marijuana possession conviction would not be a "minor misdemeanor" if he was a normal student and not one that can run real fast with the football.

If he was a regular student the conviction would follow by having all aid provided by the school and federal government revoked. He would also likely to be placed on some sort of probation with this school for "such a minor misdemeanor".

But since he is really good at running with the football, his punishment will be extra conditioning drills to make him better at running with the football.

With all the talk currently about how disadvantaged the student-athlete is compared to a regular student, the differences like the above need to be taken into account as well, he will still have his classes, book, room and board payed for because he is a student-athlete, if he was a regular student he would be scrambling to figure out how to make up the cost difference because of the loss in his financial aid over a "minor misdemeanor".
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

BorderPatrol

Quote from: acey33 on July 14, 2014, 07:37:41 am
+1 Agree 100% lets worry about the Hogs

Worry about the Hogs, huh? So, fans don't need to worry about other opponants in their division?

You really are not good at this fan thing, right? I mean, that is one of the great things about being a fan of a sports team. You GET to worry about the opposing teams. You GET to bash the opposing players. You GET to bash the opposing coaches. That is what fans do.

They SHOULDN'T tell other fans how to be fans, though. Everyone is a fan in their own little way. YOU, and especially FCJ, don't get to dictate how someone is a fan.

bp

forrest city joe

Quote from: BorderPatrol on July 14, 2014, 08:48:04 am
Worry about the Hogs, huh? So, fans don't need to worry about other opponants in their division?

You really are not good at this fan thing, right? I mean, that is one of the great things about being a fan of a sports team. You GET to worry about the opposing teams. You GET to bash the opposing players. You GET to bash the opposing coaches. That is what fans do.

They SHOULDN'T tell other fans how to be fans, though. Everyone is a fan in their own little way. YOU, and especially FCJ, don't get to dictate how someone is a fan.

bp
You are crying about Gus and his program because you are jealous. admit it and move on.

Großer Kriegschwein

Fact is that he put a guy back to return the FG against Alabama. It worked, good job.

The TRUTH is didn't beat Georgia. The fact was he kept them close and the fickle finger of fate took care of the rest.

Now, on that note, sitting around thinking about Malzahn ever coaching at Arkansas is a waste of time and energy, unless of course you just like fantasy.
This is my non-signature signature.

hogcard1964

Quote from: King TUSKankahamun on July 13, 2014, 08:54:35 pm
Simple damage control, they don't want him questioned about it and know it will be forgotten by the first game. No punishment here

I disagree

I don't know how Auburn can't sit him for at the very least game 1.

ricepig

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 14, 2014, 08:57:54 am
You are crying about Gus and his program because you are jealous. admit it and move on.

Just like you and Calapari/Pastner and Memphis.

Hawg Life

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 14, 2014, 08:11:32 am
What makes Gus any different than Phat Phil, Nick Satan, Lester the Cud Chewer Miles and some of the other coaches we love to hate around the SEC? If we want to bash him that's acceptable. But it's not jealousy. There are other words for it, but they aren't coming to me right now.

Ask Armani Ronnie.. Gus is holier than thou!

forrest city joe

Quote from: ricepig on July 14, 2014, 09:18:42 am
Just like you and Calapari/Pastner and Memphis.
Mike Anderson has beat Cal 3 times in a row. why would i be jealous? you guys are Jealous of Gus success. get over it.

GuvHog

Quote from: ReddieHawg on July 13, 2014, 08:53:39 pm
My personal opinion is that our policy of keeping weed illegal yet keeping alcohol legal is absolutely retarded. But that aside, you would think that if you were an athlete the caliber of Nick Marshall, you would be capable of looking in the mirror and realizing that even though the current drug policy is retarded, you have a golden opportunity that nobody else gets and potentially squandering that opportunity for weed is more retarded. Is it really worth it? Is weed worth more than a multimillion dollar NFL contract? I don't understand these kids.

Not at all. There is a BIG difference. One can drink occasionally and never get drunk. Every time one smokes pot they get high.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 14, 2014, 08:57:54 am

No jealousy here Joe. Gus is a great coach, but what he did to the U of A and Mitch Mustain  is inexcusable ande some have long memories
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

popcornhog

Quote from: nextlevel on July 14, 2014, 08:29:36 am
A Marijuana possession conviction would not be a "minor misdemeanor" if he was a normal student and not one that can run real fast with the football.

If he was a regular student the conviction would follow by having all aid provided by the school and federal government revoked. He would also likely to be placed on some sort of probation with this school for "such a minor misdemeanor".

But since he is really good at running with the football, his punishment will be extra conditioning drills to make him better at running with the football.

With all the talk currently about how disadvantaged the student-athlete is compared to a regular student, the differences like the above need to be taken into account as well, he will still have his classes, book, room and board payed for because he is a student-athlete, if he was a regular student he would be scrambling to figure out how to make up the cost difference because of the loss in his financial aid over a "minor misdemeanor".

I'm definitely unaware of a policy like that. He'll probably plea to a lesser charge anyway -- just as I would hope any student would end up doing. If indeed scholarships and aid are now being revoked for marijuana possession charges (which would really surprise me), this is one crazy messed up world.

And yes, it is a minor misdemeanor. It's much less serious than say DUI or even a reckless driving charge in many jurisdictions.
WPS

Country Stylz

A lot of Hog fans didn't want Gus hired here. Gus has made a lot of Hog fans look stupid. Maybe that's why a lot of people hate him.

popcornhog

Quote from: Country Stylz on July 14, 2014, 10:07:25 am
A lot of Hog fans didn't want Gus hired here. Gus has made a lot of Hog fans look stupid. Maybe that's why a lot of people hate him.

I truly don't understand why most Arkansas fans would love or hate him.

My opinion is that he's a very good coach who is not our coach. I respect what he's done but I don't have emotional feelings about him either way.
WPS

Kevin

that is why no coach should say zero tolerance.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hoglady

Heck yes - I'm jealous of Gus, Auburn, Bama, LSU, So Carolina, A&M, Missouri, Georgia and anyone else in the SEC that's been winning games lately.
And I will be jealous until the Hogs start winning again.

I didn't like Gus before he was head coach at Auburn and I like him less now.
But we have sure morphed into this holier than thou fan base lately.
We have taken the integrity mantle and are we ever running with it - I guess cause it's all we've got right now.
It will come back to bite us one day. College kids will screw up and it doesn't matter whether they're a Hog or a Tiger - it will happen.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

ricepig

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 14, 2014, 09:25:40 am
Mike Anderson has beat Cal 3 times in a row. why would i be jealous? you guys are Jealous of Gus success. get over it.

Do I need to bring up all your crying threads on Memphis?? Get over it.

Carl Lazlo

Steef

Quote from: hoglady on July 14, 2014, 10:18:05 am
Heck yes - I'm jealous of Gus, Auburn, Bama, LSU, So Carolina, A&M, Missouri, Georgia and anyone else in the SEC that's been winning games lately.
And I will be jealous until the Hogs start winning again.

I didn't like Gus before he was head coach at Auburn and I like him less now.
But we have sure morphed into this holier than thou fan base lately.
We have taken the integrity mantle and are we ever running with it - I guess cause it's all we've got right now.
It will come back to bite us one day. College kids will screw up and it doesn't matter whether they're a Hog or a Tiger - it will happen.

Has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not college kids screw up.

Has everything to do with how your current coach reacts when it happens.

At LSU, assault and rape don't get you kicked off the team.

At Vandy, its not clear who covered up what in a rape case.

At Mizzoo....a woman beater gets kicked off the team (kudos to them...I'm now a fan).

At Ohio State, punishment is deferred until the offending players can leave for the NFL.

We...remove players for not going to class. Some places just have a coed take those tests for the players.

So yeah... I'll own a little integrity for Arkansas' sake.

forrest city joe

Quote from: popcornhog on July 14, 2014, 10:09:36 am
I truly don't understand why most Arkansas fans would love or hate him.

My opinion is that he's a very good coach who is not our coach. I respect what he's done but I don't have emotional feelings about him either way.
+1000. we don't agree on much. but we agree on this one.

weresoclose

Quote from: GuvHog on July 14, 2014, 09:54:00 am
Not at all. There is a BIG difference. One can drink occasionally and never get drunk. Every time one smokes pot they get high.

Only if the weed is any good. I've smoked many times and not gotten high.  Pissed me off.  Course that was back in the day.... now I wouldn't even bother smoking something that might only give me a headache.  The days of Mexican dirt weed are long gone.

What's wrong with getting high?  It puts my mind in the right place.  Truly a gift from God.

BorderPatrol

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: GuvHog on July 14, 2014, 09:59:51 am
No jealousy here Joe. Gus is a great coach, but what he did to the U of A and Mitch Mustain  is inexcusable ande some have long memories

I think "for" Mitch Mustain makes more sense than "to."  Without Gus, MM would never have been an All-American.  Gus gave MM a chance to play football at the next level.

And, Gus helped rid UA of a coach that was long overdue to leave.  So, maybe Gus did "for" the UA instead of "to" the UA here as well.

And, I hope Gus loses every game this year, starting with his first one!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Hogarusa

I know games are the ultimate punishment but game 1 is 7 weeks away.  Thats a pretty severe punishment for a citation. 
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Oklahawg

Quote from: rljjr on July 14, 2014, 07:33:34 am
Maybe they'll add a rolled joint to their picture boards to indicate a QB sneak.

Nice!
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on July 14, 2014, 08:17:42 am
It is possible to admire a coach or an opposing team...and still want to beat the darn out of them!  Even the biggest rivals respect their opponent; otherwise, there would be no rivalry at all.

Possible, yes. Likely? Hell nah!
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: steefhog on July 14, 2014, 10:30:20 am
Has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not college kids screw up.

Has everything to do with how your current coach reacts when it happens.

At LSU, assault and rape don't get you kicked off the team.

At Vandy, its not clear who covered up what in a rape case.

At Mizzoo....a woman beater gets kicked off the team (kudos to them...I'm now a fan).

At Ohio State, punishment is deferred until the offending players can leave for the NFL.

We...remove players for not going to class. Some places just have a coed take those tests for the players.

So yeah... I'll own a little integrity for Arkansas' sake.

Intergrity matters! I agree wholeheartedly.

Oklahawg

Marshall got a citation, not arrested, right? I may have the details funky...but if he wasn't arrested that means the "possession" is more like a "driving recklessly" ticket vs being hauled downtown for a high-speed chase through the slums of West Georgia U.

Hell, I want him to play vs UA, like I wanted Pryor playing in the Sugar Bowl. When we beat 'em they won't have an excuse. Oh, they'll make one up but they won't have one handed to them. And, if Auburn wins they win with their best players doing it, preparing UA better for beating the Aggies and OM.

Chic-Hog-Oh

Not sure if serious?

Steef

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 14, 2014, 12:12:21 pm
Marshall got a citation, not arrested, right? I may have the details funky...but if he wasn't arrested that means the "possession" is more like a "driving recklessly" ticket vs being hauled downtown for a high-speed chase through the slums of West Georgia U.

Hell, I want him to play vs UA, like I wanted Pryor playing in the Sugar Bowl. When we beat 'em they won't have an excuse. Oh, they'll make one up but they won't have one handed to them. And, if Auburn wins they win with their best players doing it, preparing UA better for beating the Aggies and OM.

I agree with this part. And agreed when we played tOSU.

Still, it would be nice if there were some standards of decency in the NCAA. Instead, we've become the NFL.

GlassofSwine

Some of you are ridiculous, he wasn't even arrested and had less than an oz. on him. If this was one of the best players on our team the majority of you screaming that he should be suspended would be saying it is ridiculous to suspend someone for receiving a citation for marijuana.

Pork Twain

Quote from: ReddieHawg on July 13, 2014, 08:53:39 pm
My personal opinion is that our policy of keeping weed illegal yet keeping alcohol legal is absolutely retarded. But that aside, you would think that if you were an athlete the caliber of Nick Marshall, you would be capable of looking in the mirror and realizing that even though the current drug policy is retarded, you have a golden opportunity that nobody else gets and potentially squandering that opportunity for weed is more retarded. Is it really worth it? Is weed worth more than a multimillion dollar NFL contract? I don't understand these kids.
It being illegal while alcohol and tobacco are not is a complete joke and all about the consumers, much like the discrepancy in punishment for crack cocaine vs powder cocaine.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hoggusamoungus

When asked if Nick Marshall could be suspended for the season opener vs. Arkansas, Malzahn said "I'm not at that point yet." #SECMD14

OLDHOG

Quote from: lefty08 on July 13, 2014, 09:31:51 pm
Good one joe. I will never be jealous of gus or auburn. I dont care if they win 3 in a row, just quit talkin like this guy is a saint
YEP.

nextlevel

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 14, 2014, 12:12:21 pm

He was arrested, he was ROR'd at the scene instead of being booked and jailed because of the amount to processed.

It isn't the same as a traffic ticket, that would be like saying a DWI is "just a ticket", its not, its a citation similar to the one he received, the citation being for a misdemeanor not a traffic violation.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Golfer

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 13, 2014, 09:16:26 pm
So what if he is ? he's not our coach so i don't care what he does him his program. a lot of the Gus bashing on here is nothing but  jealousy.

You, too are a hypocrite as I have seen you bash Nick Saban on this board.  I guess you must be jealous of him and his program as he too wins a lot of games.

ijustpork

Quote from: GuvHog on July 14, 2014, 09:54:00 am
.........uh not true..just like alcohol there is PGA=Good smoke and there natural light=water down piss..bad smoke

Not all weed is equal. Just like humans

ijustpork

Jails are full and many cities around the U.S. are issuing citations for pot now if it under an oz. Still a misdemeanor charge with a court date but no arrest and don't have to spend the night in the county or bond out. The issuing of the citation doesn't down play how big of a deal this is. If AU punishes folks for fweed(fake weed) but not the real stuff I see a problem..

hawgsalot

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 13, 2014, 11:12:40 pm
Do whatever you want, i don't care. but what Gus does with his program is his business. i don't care.

Uh Joe he is our first opponent this year, are you saying we shouldn't have discussed the pyor deal as well before the sugar bowl?  Nothing to do with jealously geez.

weresoclose

Quote from: ijustpork on July 14, 2014, 12:55:39 pm
If AU punishes folks for fweed(fake weed) but not the real stuff I see a problem..

Synthetic THC-like products are terrible for mental health and health in general.  Marijuana is not.