Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Well, we know Nick Marshall's punishment

Started by ricepig, July 13, 2014, 08:37:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ijustpork

Quote from: weresoclose on July 14, 2014, 01:02:23 pm
Synthetic THC-like products are terrible for mental health and health in general.  Marijuana is not.

although I agree some studies contradict the marijuana not part..

popcornhog

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 14, 2014, 10:36:35 am
+1000. we don't agree on much. but we agree on this one.

We agree on more than you think Joe. I'm a big, big fan of Mike Anderson.

WPS

Pork Twain

Quote from: GuvHog on July 14, 2014, 09:54:00 am
Not at all. There is a BIG difference. One can drink occasionally and never get drunk. Every time one smokes pot they get high.
That does not justify one being illegal and one not and is not true.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

BornaHog

Quote from: popcornhog on July 14, 2014, 10:01:19 am
I'm definitely unaware of a policy like that. He'll probably plea to a lesser charge anyway -- just as I would hope any student would end up doing. If indeed scholarships and aid are now being revoked for marijuana possession charges (which would really surprise me), this is one crazy messed up world.

And yes, it is a minor misdemeanor. It's much less serious than say DUI or even a reckless driving charge in many jurisdictions.

It is a DUI in most if not all states, just like alcohol. That is why it is DUI, driving under the Influence and not DWI which is driving while intoxicated, which states don't use anymore.

My understanding was he was a passenger, was why he didn't receive a DUI. I might be wrong on that though, since I haven't tried to keep up with an Auburn player.
Born a HOG and will die a HOG, but that's not the only way to become a HOG

Pork Twain

July 14, 2014, 02:47:19 pm #104 Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 03:13:32 pm by Pork Twain
Quote from: nextlevel on July 14, 2014, 08:29:36 am
A Marijuana possession conviction would not be a "minor misdemeanor" if he was a normal student and not one that can run real fast with the football.

If he was a regular student the conviction would follow by having all aid provided by the school and federal government revoked. He would also likely to be placed on some sort of probation with this school for "such a minor misdemeanor".

But since he is really good at running with the football, his punishment will be extra conditioning drills to make him better at running with the football.

With all the talk currently about how disadvantaged the student-athlete is compared to a regular student, the differences like the above need to be taken into account as well, he will still have his classes, book, room and board payed for because he is a student-athlete, if he was a regular student he would be scrambling to figure out how to make up the cost difference because of the loss in his financial aid over a "minor misdemeanor".
Getting caught with a little weed is a LONG way from a possession "conviction".  Also if it was the first time, in most states it would indeed be a "minor misdemeanor" and while it "could" affect financial aid, there are many ways around it.

Marijuana Possession Penalties
For those charged with possession of under 1 kilogram of marijuana, not for resale or distribution, the misdemeanor marijuana possession charges are lowest for first offenders and then increase in their severity. In situations where the charge is based on sales of drug paraphernalia, the penalties can be increased to a felony if the item is sold to a minor child. Depending on the factors listed above, the penalties for possession can include:
a fine (typically up to $2000)
jail time (typically less than one year in jail)
mandatory drug testing
drug awareness classes
probation
electronic monitoring

Alabama Penalties for Marijuana Possession
Possession of marijuana is a criminal offense. Possession for personal use only (any amount less than one kilogram, or 2.2 pounds) is a Class A misdemeanor when the defendant has no prior convictions under this statute, punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $6,000. (Ala. Code §§ 13A-12-214, 13A-5-7, 13A-5-12.)

From the FAFSA Website

Is it true that drug convictions might affect my ability to get federal student aid?
Yes; your eligibility might be suspended if the offense occurred while you were receiving federal student aid (grants, loans, or work-study). When you complete the FAFSA, you will be asked whether you had a drug conviction for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid. If the answer is yes, you will be provided a worksheet to help you determine whether your conviction affects your eligibility for federal student aid. Preview the drug eligibility worksheet.

If your eligibility for federal student aid has been suspended due to a drug conviction, you can regain eligibility early by successfully completing an approved drug rehabilitation program or by passing two unannounced drug tests administered by an approved drug rehabilitation program. If you regain eligibility during the award year, notify your financial aid office immediately so you can get any aid you’re eligible for.

If you are convicted of a drug-related offense after you submit the FAFSA, you might lose eligibility for federal student aid, and you might be liable for returning any financial aid you received during a period of ineligibility.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sites/default/files/2014-15-student-aid-eligibility-drug-worksheet.pdf
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

nextlevel

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

weresoclose

Quote from: nextlevel on July 14, 2014, 02:56:08 pm
He was arrested in Georgia...

You mean issued a ticket in Georgia.  And it shouldn't even be a ticket.

nextlevel

Quote from: weresoclose on July 14, 2014, 02:58:20 pm
You mean issued a ticket in Georgia.  And it shouldn't even be a ticket.

He wasn't issued a ticket.

He was arrested, ROR'd at the scene, and issued a citation for a misdemeanor drug possession charge.
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Pork Twain

According to this he was not arrested.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/07/police_chief_says_teary-eyed_n.html

Marshall faces a fine totaling $1,100 and will not be required to appear in court Sept. 10 if he pays the fine. He was not arrested during the traffic stop.

Marshall had 8 to 9 grams of marijuana in the visor of his purple Dodge Charger, according to police.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2014/07/11/auburn-tigers-football-quarterback-nick-marshall-marijuana-possession/12552483/

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/13/teary-eyed-nick-marshall-very-regretful-during-pot-citation/

Al Boarland

Quote from: nextlevel on July 14, 2014, 03:13:10 pm

He was arrested, ROR'd at the scene, and issued a citation for a misdemeanor drug possession charge.

It was a ticket.  He can either pay the fine or go to court.  Just like a speeding ticket.

nextlevel

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 14, 2014, 03:30:41 pm
It was a ticket.  He can either pay the fine or go to court.  Just like a speeding ticket.

Paying the fine is a guilty plea to the misdemeanor.

ell oh ell

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on July 14, 2014, 12:30:25 pm

When asked if Nick Marshall could be suspended for the season opener vs. Arkansas, Malzahn said  "I'm not at that point yet." Are you crazy?

The only thing that is probably going to be suspended....is the no tolerance policy...

Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: GuvHog on July 14, 2014, 09:54:00 am
Not at all. There is a BIG difference. One can drink occasionally and never get drunk. Every time one smokes pot they get high.
How many blunts have you smoked in your day, Guv?
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

JansterZ71

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on July 14, 2014, 05:49:50 pm
The only thing that is probably going to be suspended....is the no tolerance policy...
Auburn doesn't have a no tolerance policy. 
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

Hoggish1

Quote from: Ashley Schaeffer on July 13, 2014, 08:39:56 pm
Gus rules with an iron fist, by god.
Zero tolerance!

Gus will regret coming down so hard on Marshall!

nextlevel

Quote from: JansterZ71 on July 14, 2014, 06:29:35 pm

That isn't what they've told first time offenders in the past as they kick them to the curb.

ell oh ell

lefty08

Quote from: nextlevel on July 14, 2014, 06:43:12 pm
That isn't what they've told first time offenders in the past as they kick them to the curb.

Thats just for guys that dont play much and have never been in trouble at rival schools......everyone knows that
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Pig Worshipper

I think Gus Malzahn WILL suspend Nick Marshall - for the San Jose State game in week two of Auburn's schedule!

secneahog

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

j-mann

Quote from: H0gn0x10u5 on July 14, 2014, 01:45:57 am
Just where in the heck is your Unc spraying for bugs at? They have a shampoo for that, no need for pesticides...
he had to go in his office to clean for the new coach
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

elkhog

Quote from: ricepig on July 13, 2014, 08:37:39 pm
Gus isn't taking him to the SEC Media Days.

Bruce Feldman: #Auburn isn't bringing Nick Marshall to SEC Media Days after his marijuana citation..Would've been biggest name QB at SEC media days this wk

Well, he sure didn't hesitate in dishing out the punishment for a little residue.
GO HOGS!!!

BPsTheMan

Gus loving Arkansas media

still silent on day four

elkhog

Quote from: Country Stylz on July 14, 2014, 10:07:25 am
A lot of Hog fans didn't want Gus hired here. Gus has made a lot of Hog fans look stupid. Maybe that's why a lot of people hate him.

Pretty simple.
GO HOGS!!!

BPsTheMan

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 13, 2014, 11:57:17 pm
Gus is not the one beat the hell out of us 52 to 0, Saban is. so why be so pissed at Gus and not Saban? see we both can play that game.

lay off the sauce old timer

nextlevel

Quote from: elkhog on July 14, 2014, 07:22:20 pm
Well, he sure didn't hesitate in dishing out the punishment for a little residue.

Mincy was arrested almost a month ago with a little more than "just residue", no punishment has been dealt.

Marshall got caught because he apparently of very low intelligence trying to hide 8 grams of weed in a baggie above the sun visor in his purple Dodge Challenger.

ell oh ell

GlassofSwine

July 14, 2014, 08:04:24 pm #125 Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 08:24:56 pm by GlassofSwine
Quote from: nextlevel on July 14, 2014, 03:13:10 pm

ROR'd ? I've never heard of an ROR for someone who wasn't initially booked, and also they are usually petitioned to a Judge for a decision. If he wasn't arrested and booked I don't see how he could be on ROR.

And you should work on reading comprehension, since I am questioning the statement that he was arrested and ROR'd as another poster claimed.

JansterZ71

Quote from: GlassofSwine on July 14, 2014, 08:04:24 pm
ROR'd ? I've never heard of an ROR for someone who wasn't initially booked, and also they are usually petitioned to a Judge for a decision. If he wasn't arrested and booked I don't see how he could be on ROR.
Well you must be blind then because he was not arrested
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

hoglady

July 14, 2014, 08:15:08 pm #127 Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 03:41:22 pm by hoglady
Quote from: steefhog on July 14, 2014, 10:30:20 am
Has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not college kids screw up.

Has everything to do with how your current coach reacts when it happens.

At LSU, assault and rape don't get you kicked off the team.

At Vandy, its not clear who covered up what in a rape case.

At Mizzoo....a woman beater gets kicked off the team (kudos to them...I'm now a fan).

At Ohio State, punishment is deferred until the offending players can leave for the NFL.

We...remove players for not going to class. Some places just have a coed take those tests for the players.

So yeah... I'll own a little integrity for Arkansas' sake.

We don't really know what Malzahn is going to do to Marshall.
And we really don't know what the punishment would be for a Hog player caught with some weed.
Coach B has done a very good job keeping these kids out of trouble. But it doesn't mean that trouble isn't around the corner. Each situation is different.

LSU - I will agree with you on. They appear to be willing to do anything to keep a good player on the field.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

GlassofSwine

Quote from: JansterZ71 on July 14, 2014, 08:09:31 pm
Well you must be blind then because he was not arrested

What???? I am questioning another poster's statement that he was arrested and ROR'd at the scene.

BPsTheMan

July 14, 2014, 09:06:12 pm #129 Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:37:27 pm by RallyPuppy
"The good thing is that we've got Jeremy Johnson who could start for the majority of the teams in college football," Malzahn said. "We'll just see what happens."

he's the decision maker, but "we'll just see what happens."

Clintonian

Hogarusa

I have much respect for the amount of threads and posts that are focused on a citation for the QB at Auburn.  I havent seen this much interest in how a coach is going to discipline a player before.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

PorkRinds

Quote from: lowberh on July 14, 2014, 11:01:23 pm
I have much respect for the amount of threads and posts that are focused on a citation for the QB at Auburn.  I havent seen this much interest in how a coach is going to discipline a player before.

You missed when Johnny football got caught signing autographs huh?

Swineasaur

I'm sure the rules have changed since CBB came in, but when BP and JLS were at head, the first failed drug test was swept under the rug and the 2nd one was punishment.

Hogarusa

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 14, 2014, 11:08:00 pm
You missed when Johnny football got caught signing autographs huh?

I guess it's a stud QB thing
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Aub8593

Quote from: nextlevel on July 13, 2014, 10:15:26 pm
When they wanted to use a first failed test to kick a player off the team, they told him they were under a zero tolerance policy.

The guy complaining about the zero tolerance policy was Ricky Parks...he got kicked off the team the first day of fall practice last year and received a chance to earn his scholarship back this spring...he didn't go to class and flunked and now he's complaining about zero tolerance when he got a second chance.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: H0gn0x10u5 on July 14, 2014, 01:45:57 am
Just where in the heck is your Unc spraying for bugs at? They have a shampoo for that, no need for pesticides...

Crabs. They are bugs too technically speaking.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Al Boarland

Quote from: RallyPuppy on July 14, 2014, 09:06:12 pm
"The good thing is that we've got Jeremy Johnson who could start for the majority of the teams in college football," Malzahn said. "We'll just see what happens."

he's the decision maker, but "we'll just see what happens."

Clintonian

You have to think the waiting and wondering about his punishment is killing Marshall.  It's like hearing "Wait until your dad gets home".

LRHawg

July 15, 2014, 04:49:05 pm #137 Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 05:02:21 pm by LRHawg
Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on July 13, 2014, 08:53:39 pm
My personal opinion is that our policy of keeping weed illegal yet keeping alcohol legal is absolutely retarded. But that aside, you would think that if you were an athlete the caliber of Nick Marshall, you would be capable of looking in the mirror and realizing that even though the current drug policy is retarded, you have a golden opportunity that nobody else gets and potentially squandering that opportunity for weed is more retarded. Is it really worth it? Is weed worth more than a multimillion dollar NFL contract? I don't understand these kids.

Pretty much this. Whatever your viewpoint is on pot's legality, currently it is illegal in Georgia and that was monumentally stupid of him. Personally, I think he will play against us and I'm fine with that. Auburn team laws give you one strike, then the next time it's a half-season ban, iirc.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Hawg Life on July 13, 2014, 09:00:38 pm
He's also the biggest hypocrite in the world.
No doubt. Fake injuries and fake discipline

PonderinHog

Quote from: Hog N Bama on July 15, 2014, 04:58:20 pm
No doubt. Fake injuries and fake discipline
The weed is real - this time...

Killean

Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: GlassofSwine on July 14, 2014, 12:17:38 pm
Some of you are ridiculous, he wasn't even arrested and had less than an oz. on him. If this was one of the best players on our team the majority of you screaming that he should be suspended would be saying it is ridiculous to suspend someone for receiving a citation for marijuana.

I don't have a morality issue with it. I am just amused we will have another moral gaffe from Ole Saint Gustopher.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GlassofSwine on July 14, 2014, 12:17:38 pm
Some of you are ridiculous, he wasn't even arrested and had less than an oz. on him. If this was one of the best players on our team the majority of you screaming that he should be suspended would be saying it is ridiculous to suspend someone for receiving a citation for marijuana.

All of this ongoing consternation over Auburn's QB and the funny thing is, if he is suspended at all (and I don't think that he will be) it will be for the first half of our game, if that.

Gus, by Auburn's stated drug policy, can discipline him prior to the season in some other way and not choose to suspend him for a first offense (if this is his first offense, which none of us know) and still allow him to play every snap  of every game, which is probably, and exactly, that which will occur.
Go Hogs Go!

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: JansterZ71 on July 14, 2014, 06:29:35 pm

Lol.....well, it occasionally comes out of hiding.....for 3rd stringers
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Jamie Jones

Quote from: lowberh on July 15, 2014, 09:00:29 am
I guess it's a stud QB thing
Not so much, in this instance. Yes, Marshall is a stud qb, but the interest stems from GM fans on this board who wanted him as head coach and make him out to be the second coming.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

HogWildBison2011

He was put into cuffs and put in the police car during the search.. he was arrested before being cited and released.. here is the video.

http://www.wrbl.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=10368488

Al Boarland

Quote from: HogWildBison2011 on July 15, 2014, 09:44:58 pm
He was put into cuffs and put in the police car during the search.. he was arrested before being cited and released.. here is the video.

http://www.wrbl.com/video?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=10368488

So, when you get put into cuffs you are arrested? Well, that's it boys, tell the ol lady to put the toys away. You don't want that on your record.

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 15, 2014, 10:05:58 pm
So, when you get put into cuffs you are arrested? Well, that's it boys, tell the ol lady to put the toys away. You don't want that on your record.
LOL he was not booked into the county jail.. But he was detained properly & placed in the vehicle. I have seen it done many times, so yes he was temporarily detained/arrested and given a municipal citation to appear in court... which if he does not attend they will issue a warrant for his arrest for failure to appear and gus will not be able to play it down. So yes he was arrested. What other illogical comment can you make?

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 15, 2014, 10:05:58 pm

As far as a misdemeanor going and your record, whether or not you were formally booked ("arrested") or just seized, cited, and released ("arrested") has no practical, legal effect.

You guy are arguing pointless semantics.

I quoted you but this goes for both sides of this.

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on July 16, 2014, 09:37:00 am
As far as a misdemeanor going and your record, whether or not you were formally booked ("arrested") or just seized, cited, and released ("arrested") has no practical, legal effect.

You guy are arguing pointless semantics.

I quoted you but this goes for both sides of this.
Same could be said for your post. If found guilty in court (if he attends) it will go on his record regardless if he was arrested or cited. Same outcome different way of doing it.