Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question: Would you accept one Arkansas football defeat if the USA won the World Cup?

Started by RedSkiesAtNightHog, July 13, 2014, 08:31:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on July 22, 2014, 02:01:51 pm
Rule changes are mandatory for that to be the case--like tv commercial time-outs. 

Ha!

Now that's an "American solution" if I ever heard one.

Ex-Trumpet

I get it, y'all are soccer fans--and that's great!!

[But, it isn't mainstream in this country!]
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on July 22, 2014, 03:09:49 pm
Hey, it is what it is...

Horrible.

"Hey, let's see if we can't make the stoppages longer and drag this game out another hour so that people at the game have to sit and listen to Petit Jean meats commercials while we beam Allstate commercials into everyone's living room.  The teams can stand around on the sidelines with their thumbs up their @sses because we're American and the almighty dollar trumps everything else."

3.5 hour football game:  11 minutes of action.
2.5 hour baseball game:  14 minutes of action.

This is one American trend that we should be protesting rather than embracing.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Average-baseball-game-contains-14-minutes-of-real-action-study-finds-100610

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 22, 2014, 03:14:17 pm
At this point, you're just trolling.

Call it what you want...this whole thread is a troll.  Anyone on a Hogs message board that would rather win a World Cup instead of a Hogs football game isn't a Hog fan.

And, I'm ok with the fact that you disagree with me on soccer's current place in American culture!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: DukeOfPork on July 22, 2014, 03:19:49 pm
Horrible.

"Hey, let's see if we can't make the stoppages longer and drag this game out another hour so that people at the game have to sit and listen to Petit Jean meats commercials while we beam Allstate commercials into everyone's living room.  The teams can stand around on the sidelines with their thumbs up their @sses because we're American and the almighty dollar trumps everything else."

3.5 hour football game:  11 minutes of action.
2.5 hour baseball game:  14 minutes of action.

This is one American trend that we should be protesting rather than embracing.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Average-baseball-game-contains-14-minutes-of-real-action-study-finds-100610

The great thing about America is this:  if you don't like it, don't participate (Obamacare excluded, of course)!!  Nobody is forcing you to watch a 3.5 hr game!  And, certainly nobody is forcing you to buy the products advertised in a 3.5 hr game!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on July 22, 2014, 03:46:34 pm
Call it what you want...this whole thread is a troll.  Anyone on a Hogs message board that would rather win a World Cup instead of a Hogs football game isn't a Hog fan.

And, I'm ok with the fact that you disagree with me on soccer's current place in American culture!

That is what anybody calling themselves a fan and with a brain should understand........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 22, 2014, 04:07:54 pm
Conversely, anybody on an American message board that would rather lose a World Cup instead of a UA football game isn't a fan of America.

Nope just not a fan of soccer. My first loyalty SPORTS-WISE is, was and ALWAYS will be the Hogs. We aren't talking about life and death of country's at war.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DukeOfPork

The Razorback football program is one of the biggest losers in the SEC since joining in 1992.  What's one more loss?  It means nothing.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on July 22, 2014, 03:48:43 pm
The great thing about America is this:  if you don't like it, don't participate (Obamacare excluded, of course)!!  Nobody is forcing you to watch a 3.5 hr game!  And, certainly nobody is forcing you to buy the products advertised in a 3.5 hr game!!

Not true at all about Obamacare.  Nobody is forcing you!  You can take the penalty and stick it to the man!!

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: DukeOfPork on July 22, 2014, 10:13:43 pm
The Razorback football program is one of the biggest losers in the SEC since joining in 1992.  What's one more loss?  It means nothing.

I haven't kept up with your post history...do you even claim to be a Hog fan?

Inhogswetrust

So now we have someone on a HOG message board saying "what's one more loss". I'll tell you what it is, It's a LOSS. It doesn't matter if we lose 67 in a row I'll be darned if I want to lose game 68. Why don't you take that cannon in your avatar and turn it around facing you and light the fuse...........................................

JayBell

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on July 22, 2014, 10:54:47 pm

Wow.  You couldn't be more hyper ethnocentric if you tried.

So someone can't be a football fan of their own state's team if they would trade one loss for the biggest prize in all of sports for their country?

Sounds logical.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: JayBell on July 23, 2014, 09:10:12 am
Wow.  You couldn't be more hyper ethnocentric if you tried.

So someone can't be a football fan of their own state's team if they would trade one loss for the biggest prize in all of sports for their country?

Sounds logical.

"Fan" is short for "fanatic."  It isn't meant to sound logical!

JayBell

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on July 23, 2014, 09:29:08 am"Fan" is short for "fanatic."  It isn't meant to sound logical!

Doesn't mean you have to actively avoid all logic and reason.

root_hawg

To me the world cup is not the biggest prize in all the world; I think you mean the biggest prize everywhere but in the US; cause I bet most folks would rather have their team win a Super Bowl, NCAA football championship...heck probably the jacks world championship than some little kick ball tournament.  And I know it's the most popular sport in the world but guess what, it's boring to most in the US.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on July 22, 2014, 10:54:47 pm

Hog fan and even a UA graduate.  Razorback Foundation member.  Missed only two Fayetteville football games in the last 23 years (took my kids trick-or-teating on Halloween instead of watching us against Eastern Michigan and had a child in the hospital the other time).

And I'm telling you, one more loss wouldn't even matter. 

Give me a USA World Cup championship.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 23, 2014, 07:26:41 am
So now we have someone on a HOG message board saying "what's one more loss". I'll tell you what it is, It's a LOSS. It doesn't matter if we lose 67 in a row I'll be darned if I want to lose game 68. Why don't you take that cannon in your avatar and turn it around facing you and light the fuse...........................................

Settle down there, Cliven.

redeye

I wouldn't go that far.  If we'd just one a single SEC Championship, there'd be far less talk of this nature.

Quote from: root_hawg on July 23, 2014, 10:33:38 am
To me the world cup is not the biggest prize in all the world; I think you mean the biggest prize everywhere but in the US; cause I bet most folks would rather have their team win a Super Bowl, NCAA football championship...heck probably the jacks world championship than some little kick ball tournament.  And I know it's the most popular sport in the world but guess what, it's boring to most in the US.

You're wishing too hard.  You can call soccer boring all you like, but calling it a little kick ball tournament is like calling the Super Bowl a little a little handball tournament.  The biggest difference is that far more people watch the kickball tournament.

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 23, 2014, 02:01:39 pm
The last Super Bowl drew 111m viewers in the USA. Only 25m watched the BCS title game. The country's population is more than 300 million.

So I guess gridiron football is boring to most in the US too.

As I noted elsewhere, I recently saw an estimate that 1.46 billion people follow the Premier League, alone.  That's about the same as the population of China and nearly 1/4th the entire population of the world.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DukeOfPork on July 23, 2014, 02:31:14 pm
Settle down there, Cliven.

Nope. I won't settle down when you are fine with any Hog loss for any other sports teams victory...................................

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 24, 2014, 07:33:38 am
Nope. I won't settle down when you are fine with any Hog loss for any other sports teams victory...................................

It's not just a "sports team".  It's the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.  And I'm an American.

You genuinely seem angry over the thought that someone would choose a championship by the US in the most important competition in the World over a meaningless game that would make the Hogs 5-7 instead of 4-8.

Am I right about that?  Are you actually angry over this?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 24, 2014, 07:49:34 am
I'm sure there are plenty of folks on here who'd be OK with Arkansas losing a game if it meant the Cowboys won the Super Bowl.

Maybe so but not if the Hogs are priority one which they should be.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DukeOfPork on July 24, 2014, 08:28:32 am
It's not just a "sports team".  It's the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.  And I'm an American.

You genuinely seem angry over the thought that someone would choose a championship by the US in the most important competition in the World over a meaningless game that would make the Hogs 5-7 instead of 4-8.

Am I right about that?  Are you actually angry over this?

Not angry but you are wrong it IS NOT the United States of America. It is a sports team. No more no less. The United States of America is a COUNTRY and not a sports team. I think you are confusing politics of nations with sports and it's sometimes attached propaganda. That being said it may be the most important competition in the REST of the world but not in the USA. I root for the USA in world competitions. Have you ever attended a world sporting event to see the best in the world and root for the USA? I have. I attended and cheered for the USA team members at the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. Therefore I guess I'm just as much a proud American or maybe moreso than you. That being said I can SEPARATE my sports feelings and my patriotic feelings. Would I willing die for the Hogs, no. Would I die for my country, yes. However, I would never cheer for anyone sportswise above the Hogs if it meant the Hogs lose anytime, anywhere and to anybody.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 24, 2014, 12:48:48 pm
Not angry but you are wrong it IS NOT the United States of America. It is a sports team. No more no less. The United States of America is a COUNTRY and not a sports team. I think you are confusing politics of nations with sports and it's sometimes attached propaganda. That being said it may be the most important competition in the REST of the world but not in the USA. I root for the USA in world competitions. Have you ever attended a world sporting event to see the best in the world and root for the USA? I have. I attended and cheered for the USA team members at the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. Therefore I guess I'm just as much a proud American or maybe moreso than you. That being said I can SEPARATE my sports feelings and my patriotic feelings. Would I willing die for the Hogs, no. Would I die for my country, yes. However, I would never cheer for anyone sportswise above the Hogs if it meant the Hogs lose anytime, anywhere and to anybody.

The US National Team represents Americans.

And for 90% of this board, the Razorbacks are an extension of Arkansas.  They represent Arkansans.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DukeOfPork on July 24, 2014, 01:19:42 pm
The US National Team represents Americans.

And for 90% of this board, the Razorbacks are an extension of Arkansas.  They represent Arkansans.

No it doesn't "represent" Americans. It represents the best players for a sport where the players happen to live in or am a citizen of that COUNTRY. Learning how to separate various aspects of life such as work, family, play, country, sports, etc. is a good thing.

Hogsooey

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 24, 2014, 12:41:29 pm
Maybe so but not if the Hogs are priority one which they should be.

You get a cookie for being the greatest Razorbacks fan ever.  Happy now?  Unfortunately, it's not going to win us any more games.   

Ponder this for me.  Would you be okay with the Razorbacks basketball team losing a game if it meant the Razorbacks football team won a national championship?  If so, according to what seems to be your logic, you are not a Razorbacks basketball fan. 

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 24, 2014, 01:21:55 pm
No it doesn't "represent" Americans. It represents the best players for a sport where the players happen to live in or am a citizen of that COUNTRY. Learning how to separate various aspects of life such as work, family, play, country, sports, etc. is a good thing.

How in the hell do the Razorbacks represent you?  You're not playing.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DukeOfPork on July 24, 2014, 04:09:22 pm
How in the hell do the Razorbacks represent you?  You're not playing.

Talk about me settling down, how about you take your own advice. I never said I WAS playing or that they DID represent me. I root for them because I want to and I like college football. In the interest of full disclosure it is my Alma Mater. However there are a LOT of sports fans that root for teams other than their Alma Mater. I root for the Hogs as a team and not because I have some biological citizenship to do so by being born in Arkansas. IF I live in the USA but am not a citizen I don't think that means I have to root for the US national team anymore than if I am citizen. My daughter in Law is from Japan yet lives in the US. I don't believe she is suppose to root for the US team over the Japanese one anymore than she should be required to drink US beverages instead of Japanese one's. National pride in one's country is not the same as sports pride in a team one roots for. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogsooey on July 24, 2014, 01:40:44 pm
You get a cookie for being the greatest Razorbacks fan ever.  Happy now?  Unfortunately, it's not going to win us any more games.   

Ponder this for me.  Would you be okay with the Razorbacks basketball team losing a game if it meant the Razorbacks football team won a national championship?  If so, according to what seems to be your logic, you are not a Razorbacks basketball fan. 

I never said I was the greatest fan did I but thanks for the compliment! As far as your scenario goes I'm a fan of BOTH football and basketball and the whole program. Since they are the same program then your scenario is much different than the one postulated by the OP. That being said I would be torn but the parameters are not the same since it is the same logo on both uniforms. I do like Razorback football and basketball equally though.
That being said you might recall I've ALWAYS said I am NOT a fan of soccer.  Do I want the Hogs soccer team to lose, no. Do I want the US national soccer team to lose, no. Do I get bent out of shape because either one does, no.

JayBell

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 24, 2014, 05:06:13 pmTalk about me settling down, how about you take your own advice. I never said I WAS playing or that they DID represent me. I root for them because I want to and I like college football. In the interest of full disclosure it is my Alma Mater. However there are a LOT of sports fans that root for teams other than their Alma Mater. I root for the Hogs as a team and not because I have some biological citizenship to do so by being born in Arkansas. IF I live in the USA but am not a citizen I don't think that means I have to root for the US national team anymore than if I am citizen. My daughter in Law is from Japan yet lives in the US. I don't believe she is suppose to root for the US team over the Japanese one anymore than she should be required to drink US beverages instead of Japanese one's. National pride in one's country is not the same as sports pride in a team one roots for.
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 24, 2014, 05:09:41 pmI never said I was the greatest fan did I but thanks for the compliment! As far as your scenario goes I'm a fan of BOTH football and basketball and the whole program. Since they are the same program then your scenario is much different than the one postulated by the OP. That being said I would be torn but the parameters are not the same since it is the same logo on both uniforms. I do like Razorback football and basketball equally though.
That being said you might recall I've ALWAYS said I am NOT a fan of soccer.  Do I want the Hogs soccer team to lose, no. Do I want the US national soccer team to lose, no. Do I get bent out of shape because either one does, no.

How do those rationalizations have anything to do with you believing that someone who can accept one Arkansas loss in football isn't a "true Hog fan?"

DukeOfPork

Quote from: JayBell on July 25, 2014, 09:47:18 am
How do those rationalizations have anything to do with you believing that someone who can accept one Arkansas loss in football isn't a "true Hog fan?"

Yeah, he's just all over the place with his logic.

Like I said before, this thread was troll bait from the start.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: JayBell on July 25, 2014, 09:47:18 am

IF you accept a defeat of a team you claim to be a fan of AND do it only so some OTHER team can win a game then that other team has your fandom priority. It's as simple as that.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DukeOfPork on July 25, 2014, 10:01:00 am
Yeah, he's just all over the place with his logic.

Like I said before, this thread was troll bait from the start.

I don't think anyone with a brain able to comprehend would think I'm being illogical or such. You can look at ALL my postings going back to 2006 when I joined. I don't think anyone with a brain could read all my posting from then until now and say I'm trolling. As a matter of fact I'm the OPPOSITE of trolling on a Hog message board since it is OBVIOUS I put the Hogs first in my fandom. Heck even all my posts in this thread is proof of that.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 25, 2014, 11:14:18 am
I don't think anyone with a brain able to comprehend would think I'm being illogical or such.

Everyone currently participating in this thread thinks you are illogical, so there's that.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DukeOfPork on July 25, 2014, 01:03:44 pm
Everyone currently participating in this thread thinks you are illogical, so there's that.

Since there is only you and me then I'm at least at 50%. 

JayBell

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 25, 2014, 02:48:01 pmSince there is only you and me then I'm at least at 50%.

No better than 33%.

And this "anyone with a brain" style of debate is oh so tiresome.

root_hawg

How is the national team representing you?  You don't play.  Isn't this what you said when someone said the hogs represent us?  Same logic correct?

And 1.5 whatever may follow the premier kickball league but bet it didn't outdraw the super bowl?  What was their championship game vs the super bowl game in the US?  Wanna compare that one?

DukeOfPork

Quote from: root_hawg on July 25, 2014, 06:09:02 pm
How is the national team representing you?  You don't play.  Isn't this what you said when someone said the hogs represent us?  Same logic correct?

This started with that logic being used on me, so then I used it on him.  Now you have re-used it.  So you're not exactly breaking new ground here.

Quote from: root_hawg on July 25, 2014, 06:09:02 pm

And 1.5 whatever may follow the premier kickball league but bet it didn't outdraw the super bowl?  What was their championship game vs the super bowl game in the US?  Wanna compare that one?

The Premier League does not have a championship game.  Nor does hardly any other league in the world.  Every team plays every other team twice; at the end of the season, the best team is the one with the best record.  The best team ALWAYS wins the league.

Yes, the NFL outdraws the EPL in TV viewers in the US.  Duh.

JayBell

The final of the European Champions League is the second-most watched television broadcast on Earth.  The Champions League final gets at least 250 million and it's played every single year, not every four years like the World Cup.

Attendance means jack when you start talking about hundreds of millions of people paying attention.  You can't fit everyone into one stadium.

root_hawg

Note I didn't say world; I said US.  When it becomes relevant in the US then maybe...but since world cup has finished...havent heard a word about soccer since.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 26, 2014, 10:51:00 pm
There were international friendlies on multiple channels a few times this week - ESPN, NBCSN, FoxSports were all in on it. And I'm guessing the 60-yard goal scored in today's AS Roma - Manchester United match will be replayed a few times on SportsCenter.

Yeah, I've seen soccer on all week even though I wasn't looking for it.

root_hawg

I'm pretty confident based on your posts and other indicators that u definitely look for soccer.  To the avg US sports fan, soccer is irrelevant

RAD

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 24, 2014, 12:48:48 pm
Not angry but you are wrong it IS NOT the United States of America. It is a sports team. No more no less. The United States of America is a COUNTRY and not a sports team.

Just as the University of Arkansas is a UNIVERSITY and not just a sports team.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: root_hawg on July 27, 2014, 07:30:10 am
I'm pretty confident based on your posts and other indicators that u definitely look for soccer.  To the avg US sports fan, soccer is irrelevant

Soccer, for me, is out of season.  So I wasn't looking for it.

And then there it was: multiple games in primetime on primary cable channels this week between MLS and European clubs.

So your assertion that soccer hasn't been on since the World Cup ended is a false one.  You would garner at least a modicum of respect if you just admitted when you were wrong.  But you are a troll.  You know it and we know it, so there's really no need in pretending like you're anything more than that.

redeye

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 25, 2014, 11:08:40 am
IF you accept a defeat of a team you claim to be a fan of AND do it only so some OTHER team can win a game then that other team has your fandom priority. It's as simple as that.

So the value of the victory has nothing to do with it?  Pose that question in MMQB and I bet you'll find that most will disagree with you.

Besides, you seem to be insinuating that it's wrong to support more then one team.  I might understand if you were talking about the same sport in the same league, but it's a meaningless question for an entirely different sport.

I've watched multiple soccer games almost every day this week with no additional sports package.  Yesterday, alone, I recorded around 5-6 different games.  Yes, I was looking for soccer, but it was no different then you looking for whatever it was that you watched.  I didn't see any football, basketball or baseball on any of these channels, but then I wasn't looking for them to be.

Personally, I think you're a closet fan of soccer, because why else would you be here?  Can you answer that?

hawkhawg

I would say yes to all my pro teams and most razorback teams outside of football. But I would not sacrifice one single hog football game for any other team.  I might consider a football lose for a razorback World Series or final four.

1highhog

I shouldn't have opened this thread, since I don't even care about soccer, but once again I'm up all night and I've already looked at every other thread.  I don't want to argue and say one side is right and the other side is wrong, but this is the way I feel.  Most in this thread will be against it I'm sure, but that's why Hogville is here for us, to share our opinions with each other, in a civil manner.

I don't care for soccer, never will.  I don't care about the rest of the World, I care about what goes on in this Country, if I had my way, our military would be used mainly to secure our borders and our government would be cut in half, with a set salary for every politician, we would see a quick rebound in overspending that's for sure.  But enough of that, as far as would I accept a Razorback defeat to win the World Cup, no.  My State comes before Country, my Creator comes first, family second, State third and that includes the Hogs.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: 1highhog on July 28, 2014, 04:10:19 amMy State comes before Country

I have never understood this. 

Probably because I am not from the South.  Also because I have lived in three different states and have had an affinity for all of the states I have lived in.

Quote from: 1highhog on July 28, 2014, 04:10:19 am
I don't care about the rest of the World

I also can't relate to this.  Americans are famous for being ignorant about what goes on outside our borders.  I guess I just have a curiosity about the world, and I know for a fact that is how I embraced soccer once I was exposed to the European game.

I do think you hit the nail on the head: many people on this board aren't satisfied with just being "disinterested" in soccer; they have to HATE it (Ann Coulter style) because it represents, for them, a growing influence from people outside of our borders.

JayBell

Quote from: DukeOfPork on July 28, 2014, 08:41:50 amI do think you hit the nail on the head: many people on this board aren't satisfied with just being "disinterested" in soccer; they have to HATE it (Ann Coulter style) because it represents, for them, a growing influence from people outside of our borders.

State, regional and national.

But I can at least accept 1highhog's reasons.  I don't agree with them, but at least they make sense.  That's better than just trying to fabricate BS reasons to, as you said, HATE soccer Ann Coulter style.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: JayBell on July 28, 2014, 08:53:50 am
State, regional and national.

But I can at least accept 1highhog's reasons.  I don't agree with them, but at least they make sense.  That's better than just trying to fabricate BS reasons to, as you said, HATE soccer Ann Coulter style.

Yeah, I feel the same.  It sounds ridiculous to me, but at least he stated the real reasons for why he doesn't like soccer: it represents (for him) a foreign influence that he wants to shut out. 

And that is exactly what others on this board don't like about it but they just don't come out and say that.

I think that you would have to be an idiot to watch golf or NASCAR for hours on end.  Frankly, at this point in my life, basketball and baseball are mindnumbingly boring sports.  But I don't go into those threads to rattle everyone's cages. 

Why?  Because I don't feel threatened by them.

Some guys feel threatened by soccer because they see it as a growing "foreign influence" that must be resisted, much Like General Jack D. Ripper saw fluoridated water in Dr. Strangelove.