Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question: Would you accept one Arkansas football defeat if the USA won the World Cup?

Started by RedSkiesAtNightHog, July 13, 2014, 08:31:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigture perfect

The one sure way to decrease the popularity of soccer around the globe would be for the US to win the World Cup. No, I wouldn't trade a win because each win is important for multiple reasons.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 14, 2014, 08:18:09 am
How about this deal - would people be willing to quit chanting "SEC, SEC, SEC" in exchange for a USMNT win in the final?

Isn't the USMNT where the government makes currency?  Seems like a weird chant...but, I see what you did there with "exchange!"   ;)

And, I hate the SEC chant.  Seems like a cheer that was adopted by folks who's team isn't worthy of a cheer of their own.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

pigture perfect

It's a cheer for the revenue sharing deal we have. But it is pretty lame.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

BorderPatrol

popcornhog

Quote from: The Divine Swine on July 14, 2014, 07:26:29 am
I would not categorize it as vitriol. I get that soccer is more popular a sport worldwide, but the question from the op was regarding the Hogs in respect to North American football to Arkansas fans in the United States where the sport is supreme beyond all others. Your disdain for those of us that are vocal about our disdain for soccer is just as bad as the other. We have real football, the rest of the world has soccer. No need for anyone to be offended that we as North Americans prefer real football over soccer without being labeled.vitriolic. Go Hogs

Oh I don't have any disdain for those that hate soccer. As I stated, American football, baseball, and hoops are the sports that I really care about.

It's just embarrassing how so many Americans have such a passionate hatred toward soccer. Indifference would be the appropriate attitude -- the strong anti-soccer emotions are silly and display an incredible amount if ignorance.

That doesn't mean we should trade a win for the World Cup though.

Why do you call American football "real football" anyhow?
WPS

SwinerBock

One has nothing to do with the other.  My support for one is no way diminished by my support for the other.  I'll take both, please.

popcornhog

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 14, 2014, 07:27:03 am
If the USA is dependent upon such a deal to win the WC, then USA soccer is in really bad shape. But as long as you are making deals, make 'Bama sacrifice a win or two. We need all the wins we can get.

So to answer your question....no way.

Who ever said the USA was dependent on such a deal? That doesn't even make sense.
WPS

ifghog

I will always root for the USA in anything but.....I wouldn't give up any Razorback victory for anything soccer. I kinda like soccer too ;D

popcornhog

Quote from: ifghog on July 14, 2014, 08:46:50 am
I will always root for the USA in anything but.....I wouldn't give up any Razorback victory for anything soccer. I kinda like soccer too ;D

Pretty much in agreement.
WPS

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: popcornhog on July 14, 2014, 08:42:33 am
Who ever said the USA was dependent on such a deal? That doesn't even make sense.

Nobody. I was saying "If" the USA.......never mind.

(Pssst......By the way, there's really no chance of a deal being struck.)
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 14, 2014, 08:18:09 am
How about this deal - would people be willing to quit chanting "SEC, SEC, SEC" in exchange for a USMNT win in the final?

How about people just quit chanting "SEC, SEC, SEC" without anything in exchange?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

bxw21

I thought yes at first, but then thought about the day of the game, any game.  I don't think I would be ok with EVER saying "it's ok to lose this one".
Sorry, but I'm going to have to honestly vote no.

JayBell

JayBell

Quote from: popcornhog on July 14, 2014, 08:40:41 amIt's just embarrassing how so many Americans have such a passionate hatred toward soccer. Indifference would be the appropriate attitude -- the strong anti-soccer emotions are silly and display an incredible amount if ignorance.

Exactly.  It's such a great reflection of the hatred towards anything we don't know or understand.  It's such a base, illogical and irrational reaction.

Cricket might be the most boring sport on the planet.  I don't hate it.  I nothing it, which is why I have no clue why so many Americans (though that number is dropping faster than most of you want to admit) have these passionately hateful feelings about soccer.

yraciv

Quote from: Tim Harris on July 14, 2014, 07:05:39 am
I guess I'm in the minority because I would easily give up a win to get a World Cup victory.  Sure if you are talking a SEC Championship game or National Championship the answer changes but if you say hey you ok with Bama beating our brains in again if it means we win the WC then I'm all for it.

Sums up my feelings pretty well.  Winning the World Cup would be a huge boost for our entire country, and I also love asserting our dominance in a sport that is way down the country pecking order.

hoglady

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 14, 2014, 10:16:57 am
Thanks to WatchESPN, I've been watching T20 cricket from England. As boredom goes, it's no worse than baseball.

Now multi-day test cricket on the other hand ...

Heresey - right there.
Comparing cricket to baseball?
How can any red blooded American feel that way?
Seriously, I can't relate to that as I absolutely love baseball. It's one of the reasons I look forward to summer.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Tim Harris

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 14, 2014, 10:16:57 am
Thanks to WatchESPN, I've been watching T20 cricket from England. As boredom goes, it's no worse than baseball.

Now multi-day test cricket on the other hand ...

I've tried to watch Cricket but just can't figure it out.  Nothing against the game I just don't really understand it.  I will say that it takes great skill to hit the ball.  Each time is the equivalent of the pitcher getting a run at you, throwing a slider in the dirt, and instead of getting to take the pitch like you do in baseball you still have to make contact.

1highhog

No way!  I can't believe the interest that futbol has found on this Board, I guess that stems from kids playing it in school these days or something, I'm not sure because I'm to old to have anything but grand kids in school and I know they play t-ball, if that's the way you spell it, then my son-in-law plans are getting them started in Football as early as possible.

But to give up a loss in Football so the USA could win the World Cup, uh, uh, ain't happening here.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

1highhog

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 13, 2014, 10:13:39 pm
I see you can repeat the company line.  Can you offer any proof of this?  How is the media able to pull this off when you have the remote in your hand?

Yes.  The media covers not only just your TV, but your radio, you say, change channel, next station has within seconds something about World Cup, you keep changing stations, this keeps going on, ad nauseam, then you pull up to the drive thru at Burger King, MacDonalds, hell, any drive thru, ads for the World Cup, you get home, turn on your IPad, your homepage comes up, and Yahoo, Google, etc., has changed it to show support for the World Cup.

Cinco de Hogo

My loyalties go like this.
God
Family
State
Nation

Soccer means nothing to me, but I am capable of making sacrifices, just glad this is one I will never have to make! 

To the OP and others that have become condescending towards other Razorback fans, shame on you because the question is quite irrelevant.  By the way football is spelt "Football" and soccer is spelt "Soccer",  thus real "Football" is played in America.

JayBell

Quote from: 1highhog on July 14, 2014, 10:42:55 amNo way!  I can't believe the interest that futbol has found on this Board, I guess that stems from kids playing it in school these days or something, I'm not sure because I'm to old to have anything but grand kids in school and I know they play t-ball, if that's the way you spell it, then my son-in-law plans are getting them started in Football as early as possible.

But to give up a loss in Football so the USA could win the World Cup, uh, uh, ain't happening here.

Believe me, everyone believes you when you say you're "to old" to understand.  I know it shouldn't, but the fact that your karma is +666/-666 is kinda entertaining.

acey33

Quote from: LittlePigMan on July 13, 2014, 09:45:16 pm
No. Actually I hate soccer so much I hope we will always get eliminated as soon as possible so we don't have to hear about it. I'm really sick of the media trying to shove soccer down our throats.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

JayBell

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 14, 2014, 11:21:23 amMoney is money. And that's why they are on board.

Wait, you mean an audience of 100 million is a marketable audience?  It's almost as if advertisers and the media know that roughly a third of the country was paying attention to the US matches.

But yeah, we'll still hear this argument that the media was trying to "shove it down their throats."  I guess we should sue ESPN for shoving the Super Bowl down our throats for an audience of about the same size.

Ex-Trumpet

This thread was posted in MMQB on Hogville.  This is where Hog fans post about football.  American football!  Razorback football specifically. 

Some of you act surprised that some of us would not sacrifice a Hogs win for a soccer win!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

1highhog

Quote from: JayBell on July 14, 2014, 11:24:11 am
Wait, you mean an audience of 100 million is a marketable audience?  It's almost as if advertisers and the media know that roughly a third of the country was paying attention to the US matches.

But yeah, we'll still hear this argument that the media was trying to "shove it down their throats."  I guess we should sue ESPN for shoving the Super Bowl down our throats for an audience of about the same size.

They were trying to shove it down our throats, they've been doing so since before they brought over Beckham.  Anything that's going to make the corporate world more money is something they're are to try and shove down our Countries throat.  Soccer is loved by millions here living in the U.S, I don't know if the number is quite at 100 million just yet, but I would say it would be getting close, leave the borders open a few more years and it'll easily reach that number I'm sure.

hawginbigd1

God and country! Give up Southern Miss from last year if all things were equal sure. Would have a lot of pride seeing the Red White and Blue represented with that trophy. In a winning season, probably not, sorry love my Hogs too much to sacrifice one there.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: 1highhog on July 14, 2014, 10:42:55 am
No way!  I can't believe the interest that futbol has found on this Board, I guess that stems from kids playing it in school these days or something, I'm not sure because I'm to old to have anything but grand kids in school and I know they play t-ball, if that's the way you spell it, then my son-in-law plans are getting them started in Football as early as possible.

Its called the changing culture in this country, the biggest growing ethnicity in the country loves soccer more than football.

JayBell

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on July 14, 2014, 12:16:12 pmIts called the changing culture in this country, the biggest growing ethnicity in the country loves soccer more than football.

We do not handle change very well.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

popcornhog

Quote from: hoglady on July 14, 2014, 10:24:21 am
Heresey - right there.
Comparing cricket to baseball?
How can any red blooded American feel that way?
Seriously, I can't relate to that as I absolutely love baseball. It's one of the reasons I look forward to summer.

I love baseball too but why does love for American sports and international sports have to be mutually exclusive? I just don't get it.

WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on July 14, 2014, 12:13:29 pm
God and country! Give up Southern Miss from last year if all things were equal sure. Would have a lot of pride seeing the Red White and Blue represented with that trophy. In a winning season, probably not, sorry love my Hogs too much to sacrifice one there.

I concur.
WPS

gmarv

Quote from: RAD on July 13, 2014, 08:49:45 pm
Depends on if the one victory meant the difference between 11-1 and 12-0 with a NC bid or going 3-9 vs 4-8. I'm certainly no soccer fan, and I am an alum of the UofA, but I think it would be kind of cool to see the US win the WC over what would amount to be a fairly meaningless win for the Hogs. JMO.
Quote from: lowberh on July 13, 2014, 08:40:54 pm
1 victory?  You mean trading a meaningless bowl game, a win in a lost 4-8 season, or a silly non conference game for having bragging rights for having the best soccer team in the world for 4 years?

No

Deep Shoat

No.  And I'm not anti-soccer, although I am tired of the media telling me how Americans are finally loving soccer.  It's the World Cup, of course we pay attention.  See how many watch if we DON'T make the field.

We, as a culture, don't give a fat rats ass about soccer.  But we will root for the USA in international tiddlywinks winks.

No.
All Gas, No Brakes!

redeye

Winning the World Cup would be huge, so I'd make that trade in a split second.  However, I wouldn't do it for a national championship.

Only a handful of teams have won the World Cup and they're all from Europe and South America, so it would be a monumental feat if the USA won.

Augustus

Quote from: redeye on July 14, 2014, 04:15:17 pm
Winning the World Cup would be huge, so I'd make that trade in a split second.  However, I wouldn't do it for a national championship.

Only a handful of teams have won the World Cup and they're all from Europe and South America, so it would be a monumental feat if the USA won.

Ok, to put the question another way... Would you be ok with going 0-9 in the SEC for a World Cup trophy?  Rather than 1-8?

I watched the entire World Cup, and enjoyed it. But I'm not that invested in something that occurs every 4 years, to trade a Razorback win on a Saturday for it.

1highhog

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on July 14, 2014, 12:16:12 pm
Its called the changing culture in this country, the biggest growing ethnicity in the country loves soccer more than football.

Sure they do, but they wasn't cheering for the U.S, they were cheering for whichever Central American country they came from.  That is fine if they continue to love it, but I would rather pass by and see our parents and neighborhoods all get behind organized Football games for their young kids like they turn out for Soccer.  Same with the inner city kids, I wish that we neighborhoods could all go out and support our communities and not just the Soccer Mom in her Caddy.

Hear me out, like I said earlier, I no longer by a long shot have kids at home, but when I see Soccer being played locally, it's usually attended by the middle class and upwards.  I know that's completely different in other Countries, because it's loved by all.  But of any sport, which gets played the most by kids these days?

Soccer?
Football?
Basketball?
Baseball or Tball?

redeye

Quote from: Augustus on July 14, 2014, 04:23:30 pm
Ok, to put the question another way... Would you be ok with going 0-9 in the SEC for a World Cup trophy?  Rather than 1-8?

I watched the entire World Cup, and enjoyed it. But I'm not that invested in something that occurs every 4 years, to trade a Razorback win on a Saturday for it.

Good question, but it wouldn't make any difference to me, because 0-9 or 1-8 are both really, really bad seasons. 

The better question would be if I was willing to trade 9-0 for 8-1.  That would be really tough, but I don't think I would make that trade.

Also, you still have World Cup qualification games during the other years, so there really isn't this huge gap in time.  The US team went 40 years without qualifying, until finally making it in 1990, so that's an accomplishment within itself.

RebelAt

That's just crazy.  No.  Seriously, who willingly wants to wish a loss on our Hogs if it can be avoided?  Seriously.  Go see the doctor.  Something is wrong with you.  Doesn't matter if it's winning gold in the Olympics in X sport or anything else.  There isn't a sport out there that I would sacrifice a Razorback win for a loss to ensure success in it. 

Ex-Trumpet

muddhogger

Why even have a thread about this?? Soccer is for those euro sissy boys who drive priuses!  Some people need to get out of them moms basement more often and come out into the real world! 

PurpleBullHog

No way.  A Hog win is personal to me in a way that a USA soccer win, even the world cup, isn't.  I grew up in the shadow of Bud Walton and DWRRS.  I went to the U of A.  I had classes with players.  I went to school with coaches' kids.  I worked with coaches' kids.  For me, a Hog win is a win for the community and the state.   Even though it wasn't me out there making plays or calling plays, I still feel like I participated in a community that built a program that could win.  I don't feel that with soccer. 

My brother-in-law is from Costa Rica, and watching games with him during this world cup was really exciting, because I saw that personal connection to the game and the sport and the team in him.  And as soccer becomes more popular, that connection may grow, but it won't ever be the same as my hometown team. 

redeye

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 14, 2014, 12:08:38 pm
It's odd how people accuse ESPN of shoving things down our throats. It's like they don't have a remote.

I don't care about the NBA, so during the wall-to-wall LeBron coverage I switched channels.

Very true.

I get tired of having the NBA, NHL, Nascar, PGA and Poker games "shoved down my throat".

Porkahontas

Unless we were in contention for a title or playoff spot, yep I'd swap one.

Became a soccer fan over the past year. Going to my first game next week in Kansas City and can't wait.

Still a Hog fan and all that, but soccer is creeping up on the pack in many circles. May never pass football or baseball but it's been gaining momentum for years.

redeye

Quote from: Porkahontas on July 14, 2014, 06:06:46 pm
Unless we were in contention for a title or playoff spot, yep I'd swap one.

Became a soccer fan over the past year. Going to my first game next week in Kansas City and can't wait.

Still a Hog fan and all that, but soccer is creeping up on the pack in many circles. May never pass football or baseball but it's been gaining momentum for years.

Going to see Manchester City?