Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question: Would you accept one Arkansas football defeat if the USA won the World Cup?

Started by RedSkiesAtNightHog, July 13, 2014, 08:31:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DLUXHOG

Quote from: DukeOfPork on July 28, 2014, 09:09:30 am
Yeah, I feel the same.  It sounds ridiculous to me, but at least he stated the real reasons for why he doesn't like soccer: it represents (for him) a foreign influence that he wants to shut out.  (your opinion only)

And that is exactly what others on this board don't like about it but they just don't come out and say that.

I think that you would have to be an idiot to watch golf or NASCAR for hours on end.  Frankly, at this point in my life, basketball and baseball are mindnumbingly boring sports.  But I don't go into those threads to rattle everyone's cagesyou are such a saint, aren't you?

Why?  Because I don't feel threatened by them.

Some guys feel threatened by soccer (again, this is just your opinion, you can't possibly absolutely know what is in other's minds) because they see it as a growing "foreign influence" that must be resisted, much Like General Jack D. Ripper saw fluoridated water in Dr. Strangelove.(it's just a movie.... in other words, only make believe...)

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

1highhog

Quote from: DukeOfPork on July 28, 2014, 08:41:50 am
I have never understood this. 

Probably because I am not from the South.  Also because I have lived in three different states and have had an affinity for all of the states I have lived in.

I also can't relate to this.  Americans are famous for being ignorant about what goes on outside our borders.  I guess I just have a curiosity about the world, and I know for a fact that is how I embraced soccer once I was exposed to the European game.

I do think you hit the nail on the head: many people on this board aren't satisfied with just being "disinterested" in soccer; they have to HATE it (Ann Coulter style) because it represents, for them, a growing influence from people outside of our borders.

Didn't say I hated it, it's simply not for me.  There are many American sports I don't care about either.  I've had the opportunity to travel all over this Country, and this World, maybe as much if not more so than you.  The Country my Dad spilled his blood for and so many others of his generation lost their lives for is not the Country he would be proud to do so again.  Our Government is a joke that continually wastes the resources of it's citizens, keeping most near poverty, all the while allowing and helping all of the big Companies take jobs overseas, and their tax dollars with them, burdening the common man with even more taxation.  No, this is not a Country I'm to proud of when a person can come here illegally, falsify papers, get free hospital care, get stopped for DWI's, and not even get a ticket for it and even let go under my Sub Contractors care just to get him home so as not to drive for the rest of the day.  If it was you of myself, we'd have lost our license for a year, and went to jail that day.  As I stated earlier, as I apologize for making this a political issue, but this Country needs to care more about its own citizens and quit giving millions to Hamas, which is fighting and ally of ours Israel, how fricked up is that??  That's your hard earned tax dollars at work while our borders are being overrun by terrorists and some of the worst gangs in the World from South America. 

DukeOfPork

Quote from: DLUXHOG on July 28, 2014, 09:32:30 am

He absolutely did discuss his dislike for soccer in the context of his disdain for immigrants and the rest of the world.  So no, that was not my "opinion".  He brought that into this discussion.  And frankly, I give him credit for at least being honest about it.

Quote from: 1highhog on July 28, 2014, 09:45:30 am
Didn't say I hated it, it's simply not for me.  There are many American sports I don't care about either.  I've had the opportunity to travel all over this Country, and this World, maybe as much if not more so than you.  The Country my Dad spilled his blood for and so many others of his generation lost their lives for is not the Country he would be proud to do so again.  Our Government is a joke that continually wastes the resources of it's citizens, keeping most near poverty, all the while allowing and helping all of the big Companies take jobs overseas, and their tax dollars with them, burdening the common man with even more taxation.  No, this is not a Country I'm to proud of when a person can come here illegally, falsify papers, get free hospital care, get stopped for DWI's, and not even get a ticket for it and even let go under my Sub Contractors care just to get him home so as not to drive for the rest of the day.  If it was you of myself, we'd have lost our license for a year, and went to jail that day.  As I stated earlier, as I apologize for making this a political issue, but this Country needs to care more about its own citizens and quit giving millions to Hamas, which is fighting and ally of ours Israel, how fricked up is that??  That's your hard earned tax dollars at work while our borders are being overrun by terrorists and some of the worst gangs in the World from South America. 

Wow, there is a fully loaded post. 

You mentioned support for Hamas.  Are you implying that you ARE in favor of us supporting Israel in their occupation of Palestinian territories?  Because we give a hell of a lot more political support and financial support ($118 billion) to Israel than to the Palestinians.  Or are you suggesting that we give no support to either side and get out of the whole mess?

DukeOfPork

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 27, 2014, 04:14:52 pm
Now, now Duke I'm sure if you don't watch any of the major sports networks you won't see any soccer.

This is true.  I did not see soccer on NatGeo, History, and Disney Junior, all of which were on in our house a lot last week.

If soccer was truly catching on in the US, surely it would have been on those networks as well.

1highhog

Quote from: DukeOfPork on July 28, 2014, 10:33:13 am
He absolutely did discuss his dislike for soccer in the context of his disdain for immigrants and the rest of the world.  So no, that was not my "opinion".  He brought that into this discussion.  And frankly, I give him credit for at least being honest about it.

Wow, there is a fully loaded post. 

You mentioned support for Hamas.  Are you implying that you ARE in favor of us supporting Israel in their occupation of Palestinian territories?  Because we give a hell of a lot more political support and financial support ($118 billion) to Israel than to the Palestinians.  Or are you suggesting that we give no support to either side and get out of the whole mess?

If we're going to be and ally to Israel, then give no support to known terrorists, Hamas.  I would rather we give no support at all to any Country in the Middle East because there's oil there, and our Government is paid off by the big oil companies when we could have done without oil years ago.  We haven't needed oil in 20 years, the technology has been out there and stifled for years and bought off to keep it out of the market, the oil companies keep getting richer and richer.  So does the Government.  I cringe everytime I hear our Government wanting to send our troops somewhere, young men and now women, dying for what they believe is serving their Country and fighting the War on terror, when all their fighting and dying for is lying politicians and corrupt governments willing to let their young die solely to suit their own agenda.

1highhog

Some Mod please delete my posts.  This is a thread about soccer, and I didn't mean to bring my personal feelings into this friendly conversation about a game that I realize some on this Board evidently love.  Politics belong elsewhere, and I usually never even bring them up, but I spent all day Friday at the VA and if that doesn't get you riled up a little, then nothing will.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: 1highhog on July 28, 2014, 03:33:52 pmI cringe everytime I hear our Government wanting to send our troops somewhere, young men and now women, dying for what they believe is serving their Country and fighting the War on terror, when all their fighting and dying for is lying politicians and corrupt governments willing to let their young die solely to suit their own agenda.

I can totally agree with the above. 

Quote from: 1highhog on July 28, 2014, 03:33:52 pm
If we're going to be and ally to Israel, then give no support to known terrorists, Hamas.

I think the bigger question is "why are we such reliable allies to Israel"?

Probably for the same reason that we were allies with Saddam and bin Laden in the 90s (and so many corrupt and violent dictators before that): it was convenient for us at the time and our foreign policy habitually turns a blind eye to unsavory things that our allies are doing.  Israel is top of that list right now.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: 1highhog on July 28, 2014, 03:39:47 pm
Some Mod came please delete my posts.  This is a thread about soccer, and I didn't mean to bring my personal feelings into this friendly conversation about a game that I realize some on this Board evidently love.  Politics belong elsewhere, and I usually never even bring them up, but I spent all day Friday at the VA and if that doesn't get you riled up a little, then nothing will.

Actually, this thread never has been about soccer.  It's just a vehicle for trolling.  We have another thread where we actually discuss soccer.

1highhog

Well, I still do not wish to turn it into a political thing either, so for all of y'all that's been posting, I apologize.