Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question: Would you accept one Arkansas football defeat if the USA won the World Cup?

Started by RedSkiesAtNightHog, July 13, 2014, 08:31:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RedSkiesAtNightHog

I am just curious to gage how much soccer has grown in popularity with passionate Arkansas Razorbacks football fans!

I really enjoyed watching the World Cup.  I found it much more interesting in general than the Olympics. 

The excitement and passion of futbol around the world is amazing!  I was glad to see the USA at least be competitive.

Germany reminds me of Alabama.  The standard of excellence.  The USA reminds me of Arkansas.  Trying to improve and be relevant. 

When ESPN states that 800 million people around the world are watching Germany vs Argentina, it makes you realize how important soccer really is on the world stage.  So I ask again, would you sacrifice an Arkansas football victory for a USA World Cup Championship?   

VBHOG

No. I've been a Razorback fan every day of my life. I've yet to get into soccer even in the World Cup.

Hogarusa

1 victory?  You mean trading a meaningless bowl game, a win in a lost 4-8 season, or a silly non conference game for having bragging rights for having the best soccer team in the world for 4 years?

No
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

The Divine Swine

Quote from: lowberh on July 13, 2014, 08:40:54 pm
1 victory?  You mean trading a meaningless bowl game, a win in a lost 4-8 season, or a silly non conference game for having bragging rights for having the best soccer team in the world for 4 years?

No

every self respecting Hog fans answer summed up right there.
Romans 10:9-10

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

PonderinHog

thesmalltownhog95

Quote from: lowberh on July 13, 2014, 08:40:54 pm

No
i coulda sat here a few minutes coming up with a funny answer of my own but this describes my feelings perfectly

RAD

Depends on if the one victory meant the difference between 11-1 and 12-0 with a NC bid or going 3-9 vs 4-8. I'm certainly no soccer fan, and I am an alum of the UofA, but I think it would be kind of cool to see the US win the WC over what would amount to be a fairly meaningless win for the Hogs. JMO.

LZH

Augustus

footballfan

I care as much about soccer as I do about curling, women's shot put, watching old roller derby highlights, and three day cricket tournaments. I. Just. Don't. Care.

I love Arkansas football, and see it as a valuable cultural artifact to be passed down and cherished by my son, and, hopefully his son.

The two do not compare for me. Nor will they ever compare. I don't say "soccer sucks!" or "why do you watch that commie sport!" Others may watch what they wish without any judgement from me. I simply do not wish to waste my own time watching something I care so precious little about.

Hawgzinbowlz

A pre-Red & White game scrimmage would warrant consideration.

" GO HOGS "

root_hawg

LittlePigMan

No. Actually I hate soccer so much I hope we will always get eliminated as soon as possible so we don't have to hear about it. I'm really sick of the media trying to shove soccer down our throats.

Bacons Rebellion

baitshop

"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them" - Ronald Reagan

Cresthog

HiggiePiggy

Going 4-8 last year would have made fans feel better about this upcoming season if that last win was LSU. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Jafo

No, don't like the World Cup, but I do like to watch Shaquira shake her ... ;D

choppedporkextrasauce

sasnakrafan

Yes... but it depends also on how our season is going. 12-0 or 2-10 season those scenarios are obvious answers. I appreciate soccer as the biggest, strongest or fastest aren't always the best soccer players. Its the ones that train the hardest and devote time into every aspect of the game. Vision, touch, control, awareness, adjustments, endurance, speed, smarts/wits, stamina, timing, strength, agility, can be seen with the trained eye.

A big part of the reason why I love the sport is you have to think of why its the most popular sport in the world. All you need is a ball, boundaries(land, concrete slab, park, open street, dirt road) landmarks or shoes or shirt or a piece of trash and that's your goal post, and 4 people minimum and you have a game. Everyone has access to it, unlike football where equipment can get expensive and you don't need a minimum of 22/14 players. Its truly universal, affordable and the rules are simple. Also it can be completed in roughly 2 hours and limited to no commercials.

sasnakrafan

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 13, 2014, 10:13:39 pm
I see you can repeat the company line.  Can you offer any proof of this?  How is the media able to pull this off when you have the remote in your hand?

Its the most popular sport in the world. There is a following. During this time of the year.. there's mid season baseball which is semi interesting but let's face it-,- more eyes catch on once its past the all-star break which is the same as NBA. Golf has had only the British open and its safe to say that most just follow golf more when its one of the four majors. Soccer>NASCAR & tennis. It is not being forced fed.... there's more ratings in the world cup so they follow the $$$. Look at all the watch parties_ they don't really exist for tennis, slightly for golf and NASCAR.

Augustus

Quote from: Cresthog on July 13, 2014, 10:08:49 pm
Thread title might as well be changed to "Ignorant rednecks unite!"

I doubt you see the irony of your post; and, I doubt it could be explained to you that you would understand it.

Harley_Hawg

Quote from: Augustus on July 13, 2014, 11:01:38 pm
I doubt you see the irony of your post; and, I doubt it could be explained to you that you would understand it.
You can't fix stupid.

popcornhog

Quote from: RedSkiesAtNightHog on July 13, 2014, 08:31:22 pm
I am just curious to gage how much soccer has grown in popularity with passionate Arkansas Razorbacks football fans!

I really enjoyed watching the World Cup.  I found it much more interesting in general than the Olympics. 

The excitement and passion of futbol around the world is amazing!  I was glad to see the USA at least be competitive.

Germany reminds me of Alabama.  The standard of excellence.  The USA reminds me of Arkansas.  Trying to improve and be relevant. 

When ESPN states that 800 million people around the world are watching Germany vs Argentina, it makes you realize how important soccer really is on the world stage.  So I ask again, would you sacrifice an Arkansas football victory for a USA World Cup Championship?   

It depends. If it's the difference between 4-8 and 3-9, absolutely.

If it's the difference between 12-1 or 13-1, maybe since we'd be in the playoff either way.

Otherwise, no.
WPS

popcornhog

WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 13, 2014, 10:13:39 pm
I see you can repeat the company line.  Can you offer any proof of this?  How is the media able to pull this off when you have the remote in your hand?

I think it has a lot to do with exposure to different cultures, like anything. He's probably not spent much time outside of the United States.

Soccer is growing on me but still nowhere close too football/basketball/baseball. Not even close. And I don't care if other people like soccer or baseball or American football -- it's all their prerogative. It's funny how some among us think that something is bad or sucks just because it's not our top choice though.

My mom hates all sports. But she still cheered for her kids when they played sports and she still goes with us to games in Fayetteville once a year. I really don't understand the vitriol against soccer among the more redneck factions of American society.
WPS

PonderinHog

I actually enjoyed the USA's WC matches this year.  If we ever win it all, it will likely take off here.   800 million viewers is decent audience.

31to6

I would trade all the US World Cup wins for the next 4 decades for a single Razorback first down.

hoglady

To me - that's like asking would you trade the "Miracle on Ice" win for a Razorback win.
Sure I would trade a meaningless win for the National pride of winning a World Cup. It would have to be a meaningless win, though. If the game involves the SEC Championship, National playoff or major bowl game then no.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

East Clintwood

Quote from: LittlePigMan on July 13, 2014, 09:45:16 pm
No. Actually I hate soccer so much I hope we will always get eliminated as soon as possible so we don't have to hear about it. I'm really sick of the media trying to shove soccer down our throats.

Exactly.  I don't want us wasting  good athletes on soccer.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

MuskogeeHogFan

I wouldn't trade one, single Arkansas football win in exchange for U.S. soccer winning the World Cup. I'll pull for them when they are playing, but trade out? No.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

If someone is a truly passionate Arkansas fan as you asked about then they wouldn't give a damn about any other team or sport around the world if it meat the Hogs lose. So you think a passionate fan of a team and program should want another team to win at their expense? Where do you people come from....................................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogsnott

NO!!!  I would gladly give up the Olympics (summer and winter) for a National Championship in Football.  I Love the U.S.A, but Arkansas is my Home and the Razorbacks are MY team,  WPS

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hoglady on July 14, 2014, 01:20:01 am
To me - that's like asking would you trade the "Miracle on Ice" win for a Razorback win.
Sure I would trade a meaningless win for the National pride of winning a World Cup. It would have to be a meaningless win, though. If the game involves the SEC Championship, National playoff or major bowl game then no.

^ Not what I would consider a "passionate" fan..........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Theolesnort

There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Tim Harris

I guess I'm in the minority because I would easily give up a win to get a World Cup victory.  Sure if you are talking a SEC Championship game or National Championship the answer changes but if you say hey you ok with Bama beating our brains in again if it means we win the WC then I'm all for it.

popcornhog

Quote from: East Clintwood on July 14, 2014, 06:00:51 am
Exactly.  I don't want us wasting  good athletes on soccer.

I would prefer to see us dominate every sport, but above all, I would prefer to see every athlete focus on the sport that he prefers.
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: hogsnott on July 14, 2014, 06:49:28 am
NO!!!  I would gladly give up the Olympics (summer and winter) for a National Championship in Football.  I Love the U.S.A, but Arkansas is my Home and the Razorbacks are MY team,  WPS

Then why do you have a tiger in your picture?
WPS

acey33

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

jgphillips3

I had no choice but to accept nine last year anyway so what's one more. :)

The Divine Swine

Quote from: popcornhog on July 13, 2014, 11:30:10 pm
I think it has a lot to do with exposure to different cultures, like anything. He's probably not spent much time outside of the United States.

Soccer is growing on me but still nowhere close too football/basketball/baseball. Not even close. And I don't care if other people like soccer or baseball or American football -- it's all their prerogative. It's funny how some among us think that something is bad or sucks just because it's not our top choice though.

My mom hates all sports. But she still cheered for her kids when they played sports and she still goes with us to games in Fayetteville once a year. I really don't understand the vitriol against soccer among the more redneck factions of American society.

I would not categorize it as vitriol. I get that soccer is more popular a sport worldwide, but the question from the op was regarding the Hogs in respect to North American football to Arkansas fans in the United States where the sport is supreme beyond all others. Your disdain for those of us that are vocal about our disdain for soccer is just as bad as the other. We have real football, the rest of the world has soccer. No need for anyone to be offended that we as North Americans prefer real football over soccer without being labeled.vitriolic. Go Hogs
Romans 10:9-10

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

(notOM)Rebel123

If the USA is dependent upon such a deal to win the WC, then USA soccer is in really bad shape. But as long as you are making deals, make 'Bama sacrifice a win or two. We need all the wins we can get.

So to answer your question....no way.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber