Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looks like CBB has us last in the SEC in another category

Started by Hogwild, July 13, 2014, 12:23:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: The Galloping Ghost on July 13, 2014, 04:04:13 pm
OR....we've just gotten lucky no ones been caught yet. You can guess who's stament is more accurate. Yours or mine...

You tell me, since you seem so sure off yourself....

The NewEra

Way to Go Young Hogs!!  I'm proud of you.

Great job Coach B, Coach Herbert and the rest of the staff.  This stat will equate to wins on the field and in the class room sooner rather than later.

The Galloping Ghost

Quote from: ricepig on July 13, 2014, 04:07:56 pm
You tell me, since you seem so sure off yourself....

No. The staff is doing a good job keeping them corraled. They're young college guys. They come from the same places and have the same experiences as the young student athletes from other universities. They are subject to personal indiscretion s like any other their age. Bank that.
"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

nchogg

Quote from: The NewEra on July 13, 2014, 04:12:59 pm
Way to Go Young Hogs!!  I'm proud of you.

Great job Coach B, Coach Herbert and the rest of the staff.  This stat will equate to wins on the field and in the class room sooner rather than later.
I agree 1000%. Go Hogs!

nextlevel

Quote from: jkstock04 on July 13, 2014, 04:07:21 pm
Am I the only person who thinks things like NOT getting arrested, actually going to class, not doing drugs...etc. should be expected as a whole and not a cause for surprise or celebration when it actually happens? I realize we are talking about managing 80 plus late teen early 20's kids...but still yet they are getting free rides & in some cases much more (at top tier SEC schools)...normal behavior for people getting such a great opportunity for free should be the norm not the exception.

As far as the Hogs not being in any legal trouble that's honestly great...it's the last thing this team needs at the present. On that front no news is good news.

It should be expected, yes, however for other team's it has been a problem (it has been a problem for Arkansas in the past in football and men's basketball as well).

You are correct in that fans should expect these kids to stay out of trouble and go to class, that isn't really much to ask from them as its all on them to take responsibility and as Holtz would say "do right".

However, some other fanbases would rather make excuses for poor actions taken by their athletes if these athletes are leading to wins for their programs.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Pickwick Hog

Quote from: hogblitz on July 13, 2014, 04:01:31 pm
I advise you to look at my posts since 2003 to determine if I am a troll.  In no way am I a troll!  I'm a realist.

Realist? Whatever you say. LMAO.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

The Galloping Ghost

Quote from: nextlevel on July 13, 2014, 04:20:00 pm
It should be expected, yes, however for other team's it has been a problem (it has been a problem for Arkansas in the past in football and men's basketball as well).

You are correct in that fans should expect these kids to stay out of trouble and go to class, that isn't really much to ask from them as its all on them to take responsibility and as Holtz would say "do right".

However, some other fanbases would rather make excuses for poor actions taken by their athletes if these athletes are leading to wins for their programs.

This is true...and haven't we been guilty of the same head-turning and excuse making in the past.

Look no further than HV and how many defended Petrinos actions and still do
"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

nextlevel

Quote from: The Galloping Ghost on July 13, 2014, 04:25:04 pm
This is true...and haven't we been guilty of the same head-turning and excuse making in the past.

I didn't mean to infer that Arkansas' fanbase was immune from this (we are not any different than any other fanbase around the country), but at the current date both men's programs have had the least amount of "incidents" in a long, long time. The fact that this is something to be applauded is on a level of "sad", but it isn't anything for a fan to be ashamed about being proud of not winning the arrest count in the SEC, this is the type of category I always hope Arkansas finishes last in.
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

ricepig

Quote from: The Galloping Ghost on July 13, 2014, 04:18:29 pm
No. The staff is doing a good job keeping them corraled. They're young college guys. They come from the same places and have the same experiences as the young student athletes from other universities. They are subject to personal indiscretion s like any other their age. Bank that.

Understand, also understand that there's a different sheriff in charge, so maybe they have a different mindset, bank that.

The Galloping Ghost

Quote from: nextlevel on July 13, 2014, 04:34:32 pm
I didn't mean to infer that Arkansas' fanbase was immune from this (we are not any different than any other fanbase around the country), but at the current date both men's programs have had the least amount of "incidents" in a long, long time. The fact that this is something to be applauded is on a level of "sad", but it isn't anything for a fan to be ashamed about being proud of not winning the arrest count in the SEC, this is the type of category I always hope Arkansas finishes last in.

I would whole heartedly agree with that. I believe its comical though some wanting to point to this as a way to shore-up a coaches position. Which is all this is.

The young men behaving themselves are to be commended. They should also know this is a requirement for their continued standing. Not something to automatically be praised. Doing the right thing is simply right.

The Galloping Ghost

Quote from: ricepig on July 13, 2014, 04:35:10 pm
Understand, also understand that there's a different sheriff in charge, so maybe they have a different mindset, bank that.

Once again your point is agenda driven. If Bret succeeds we will all know it. I'm a Hog Fan. Not a whoever the coach is fan.

ricepig

Quote from: The Galloping Ghost on July 13, 2014, 04:43:33 pm
Once again your point is agenda driven. If Bret succeeds we will all know it. I'm a Hog Fan. Not a whoever the coach is fan.

What agenda would that be? I support the Razorback's and thus our coach, and you?

870hogfan

Quote from: The Galloping Ghost on July 13, 2014, 04:04:13 pm
OR....we've just gotten lucky no ones been caught yet. You can guess who's stament is more accurate. Yours or mine...

I'm going with his.

TMc

Quote from: hogblitz on July 13, 2014, 02:18:58 pm
Do you think a business will survive without selling a product or service?  Is being nice going to pay the bills?  Business or sports are RESULTS driven.  BB is getting paid a hefty amount to win games.  After year one it did not happen.  Everyone wants to deflect attention towards anything over than winning.  This is starting to remind me of the way some were when Nutt was here.   Minus the slime ball antics .

Don't you think ya ought to give him a year or two first before labeling him a loser.  I understand what you're saying but he deserves some time.

TMc

Quote from: hogblitz on July 13, 2014, 03:41:49 pm
Chris....he has to make the best of the hand he was dealt. How did the team perform as the season drug on?  Did they improve each week?  How many questionable coaching decisions were made throughout the year?  These have nothing to do with wins and losses.   Hopefully, last year was a mulligan! 

The team improved as the year went on.  If you are a realist- then you should've seen that.  The OL had to be developed with 2 True FR playing on it, and the coaching on the defensive side of the ball (a couple) were told to go find another job.  They will continue to get better.., but I think it will be next year before they are a team to look out for.

BallHog1

Quote from: nextlevel on July 13, 2014, 02:34:59 pm
Good coaches have blunders from time to time in games.

In Petrino's first season, his blunders cost the team 3 losses on the year and to fail to make a bowl game.

Those blunders had no bearing on the future seasons.
This. What appears to be a blunder to the fan on the couch is sometimes a coach who knows he is out-manned trying to make something happen by getting outside the box, especially when he knows he isn't going to win this one inside the box.

jabohog

While I agree that we improved as the season wore on, I get really sick of the LSU game being used an example. We played a really uninspired LSU team and it nearly cost them. But, in the end, that last drive when they shoved everything we had back down our throat to seal the win showed how far behind we are. Not trying to take anything away from our players efforts. It was valiant, and improvement was there, but you and me know if LSU was expecting a fight the outcome would have been much different. The Miss St game was a better example of improvement.

Big Poppa Z

Quote from: nextlevel on July 13, 2014, 01:11:01 pm
He's also gotten rid of the riff raff off the team, Kragthorpe had to do the same thing at Louisville, something like 22 players were kicked of the team within a year.

Sum? A house cleaning was predictable. Kragthorpe didn't fail in a vacuum.

This will take time but the direction is improved.

lefty08

Quote from: jabohog on July 13, 2014, 05:28:35 pm
While I agree that we improved as the season wore on, I get really sick of the LSU game being used an example. We played a really uninspired LSU team and it nearly cost them. But, in the end, that last drive when they shoved everything we had back down our throat to seal the win showed how far behind we are. Not trying to take anything away from our players efforts. It was valiant, and improvement was there, but you and me know if LSU was expecting a fight the outcome would have been much different. The Miss St game was a better example of improvement.

Oh I get it now, when we play well its because of the other team not being ready, when we play poorly its the qb or the coach, when we get a great recruit from out of state its because nobody else really really wanted him. Its all making sense now
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Al Boarland

Quote from: lefty08 on July 13, 2014, 05:59:28 pm
Oh I get it now, when we play well its because of the other team not being ready, when we play poorly its the qb or the coach, when we get a great recruit from out of state its because nobody else really really wanted him. Its all making sense now

Fair points, but can we agree that teams do play uninspired at times, right?

lefty08

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 13, 2014, 06:02:28 pm
Fair points, but can we agree that teams do play uninspired at times, right?

Of course, every time we win or bama loses a bowl game  ;D
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Hawgzinbowlz

Congratulations to the players, coaches, and administration for having one of the zeros.
It may change at any moment but it is good to this point.
It will be revealed soon, if CBB has us headed in the right direction. He'll be congratulated most likely and if he can't get it done he'll eventually be fired, or quit.
If I were a gambler I know which side of that question my money would be on.
Let's get this party started.

" GO HOGS "

SPAL

Quote from: poloprince on July 13, 2014, 12:37:35 pm
Did you win or did you lose?

0-0 right now... first game is August 30th.

Side note, I hope you've enjoyed your time at hogville.

poloprince

Quote from: hogblitz on July 13, 2014, 02:18:58 pm
Do you think a business will survive without selling a product or service?  Is being nice going to pay the bills?  Business or sports are RESULTS driven.  BB is getting paid a hefty amount to win games.  After year one it did not happen.  Everyone wants to deflect attention towards anything over than winning.  This is starting to remind me of the way some were when Nutt was here.   Minus the slime ball antics .
$PoLoPrInCe$

SPAL

Just so everyone understands, the kinda derailment that is going on in this thread is about to come to an end. Hogville will once again be about quality posts, conversation, and debate.

Everybody who only insists on doing otherwise might as well get used to the idea that it's no longer going to be tolerated. So I guess get your shots in while you can because times are changing.

Styflin

How many arrests since Bielema took over? I can't remember any.

Kenny Hawgins

Am I the only person who thinks things like NOT getting arrested, actually going to class, not doing drugs...etc. should be expected as a whole and not a cause for surprise or celebration when it actually happens? I realize we are talking about managing 80 plus late teen early 20's kids...but still yet they are getting free rides & in some cases much more (at top tier SEC schools)...normal behavior for people getting such a great opportunity for free should be the norm not the exception.

As far as the Hogs not being in any legal trouble that's honestly great...it's the last thing this team needs at the present. On that front no news is good news.
It's good, in and of itself, but the detractors should be happy as well since attrition is a major issue affecting long term success. 

Ask Mizzou how much it helps to have the #1 player in the nation when he's not on the team anymore.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

tusksincolorado

Quote from: The Galloping Ghost on July 13, 2014, 04:18:29 pm

Hummm...maybe you should take that attitude and confront CBB. Hopefully when your staring up at him and making that statement, you will not feel like your going to be pounded into the ground.

I am sure and 18 or 19 old kid would shat in his britches, just like you would.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

870hogfan

Quote from: Styflin on July 13, 2014, 06:38:49 pm
How many arrests since Bielema took over? I can't remember any.

Flynn is the only one I can think of and he is no longer with the team.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: The Galloping Ghost on July 13, 2014, 04:25:04 pm

BP is a Horn Dawg POS, but a Offensive Wizard. CBB is a very good football coach who appears to have his team focused and on a mission.

Wonder how many Badgers ran astray with the law during his time at Ft Randall?

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 13, 2014, 06:15:46 pm
... I hope you've enjoyed your time at hogville.

Your applause count just grew.

" GO HOGS "

The Galloping Ghost

Quote from: tusksincolorado on July 13, 2014, 06:52:42 pm
Hummm...maybe you should take that attitude and confront CBB. Hopefully when your staring up at him and making that statement, you will not feel like your going to be pounded into the ground.

I am sure and 18 or 19 old kid would shat in his britches, just like you would.

Sorry. I would look CBB square in his eyes...since we are the same height and share my thoughts with him.

Just like I would you.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: The Galloping Ghost on July 13, 2014, 07:04:45 pm
Sorry. I would look CBB square in his eyes...since we are the same height and share my thoughts with him.

Just like I would you.

Nope, I'm 6' 217. I'm not stupid, unless I am carrying my CQB.

The Galloping Ghost

Quote from: tusksincolorado on July 13, 2014, 07:07:55 pm
Nope, I'm 6' 217. I'm not stupid, unless I am carrying my CQB.

I've read stuff you write...I would have to disagree with you.

hoglady

Everyone should be proud of these guys.
I don't know whether we've just been lucky or what.
No matter, I'm just glad no one has been arrested.
The coach would be getting bashed if we had a slew of arrests / so he should get praised when we don't. That's only fair.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

tusksincolorado

Quote from: The Galloping Ghost on July 13, 2014, 07:11:41 pm
I've read stuff you write...I would have to disagree with you.

That I'm fatter than stated? My Cardiologist would say yes, but no I am just old, and feeble...which is why I am always with my CQB, and his buddy.

That your stating I'm stupid? Which means you agree with my 2 EXs, and again, my Cardiologist, which places you in that prestigious club of the opinionated and ignored.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: hoglady on July 13, 2014, 07:25:26 pm
Everyone should be proud of these guys.
I don't know whether we've just been lucky or what.
No matter, I'm just glad no one has been arrested.
The coach would be getting bashed if we had a slew of arrests / so he should get praised when we don't. That's only fair.

Totally agree.

Hopefully it will lead too great rewards!

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

PorkSoda

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on July 13, 2014, 12:38:20 pm

Interesting what's happened at Florida since Urban left town.
yup pretty interesting how the lack of thugs correlates to lack of wins.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

nextlevel

Quote from: PorkSoda on July 13, 2014, 07:39:41 pm
yup pretty interesting how the lack of thugs correlates to lack of wins.

How many arrests has Stanford had in the past 5 years?

Also how would you explain Tennessee thuggin' it up to achieve 5-7 seasons?

ell oh ell

PygmalionEffect

Yes.... yes you are.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: BallHog1 on July 13, 2014, 05:11:20 pm
This. What appears to be a blunder to the fan on the couch is sometimes a coach who knows he is out-manned trying to make something happen by getting outside the box, especially when he knows he isn't going to win this one inside the box.

That's fine when the coach who knows he is out-manned and trying to make something happen by getting outside of the box.......

actually makes something good happen.

but when all he makes happen is to make himself and his team look foolish,

that's called a blunder.

CBB had some blunders in 2013.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

PorkSoda

Quote from: nextlevel on July 13, 2014, 07:59:14 pm
How many arrests has Stanford had in the past 5 years?

Also how would you explain Tennessee thuggin' it up to achieve 5-7 seasons?
there are exceptions to every rule?

How can BB improve our image as a fun school if no one is out partying and getting arrested?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

BallHog1

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on July 13, 2014, 08:18:08 pm
That's fine when the coach who knows he is out-manned and trying to make something happen by getting outside of the box.......

actually makes something good happen.

but when all he makes happen is to make himself and his team look foolish,

that's called a blunder.

CBB had some blunders in 2013.
Made me think he knew we didn't have the horses to play the game the way he wanted so he tried to make something happen and it didn't work this time. Same result as if he hadn't tried to make something happen. He gave them a fighters chance, hoped for some magic and it didn't happen this time.

tusksincolorado

HogRedTilImDead

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 13, 2014, 06:21:43 pm
Just so everyone understands, the kinda derailment that is going on in this thread is about to come to an end. Hogville will once again be about quality posts, conversation, and debate.

Everybody who only insists on doing otherwise might as well get used to the idea that it's no longer going to be tolerated. So I guess get your shots in while you can because times are changing.
You know, I seem to remember seeing a thread posted about this. Darndest thing, it is not getting enforced. Sure makes it hard to enjoy a thread about something positive.  :|
GO HOGS!!

nchogg

I am proud of these youg men. Distractions from arrest is a distraction for the players, coaches and university. It's nice not to see for the first time I can remember. (Of course a mind is a terrible thing to waste)

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Augustus

This is awful.

This thread started with good news, and quickly turned into complete crap.