Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dee Wagner transferring to Angelo St

Started by TomBigBeeHog, July 13, 2014, 09:48:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TomBigBeeHog

I haven't heard anything about him since it was announced that he was leaving.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Hawg Red

D3 school. Just saw it on Twitter.

In case anyone was wondering about him.

The_Iceman

Sadly, he just never belonged at an SEC school. I thought maybe he could be a spark plug guy off the bench, but outside of the one Syracuse game, he never looked confident on the court.

Hawg Red

Gets to play this season, by the way, by transferring down.

Angelo St. is in San Angelo, Texas.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Hawg Red on July 28, 2014, 11:55:40 am
Gets to play this season, by the way, by transferring down.

Angelo St. is in San Angelo, Texas.

I hope he does well in west texas. Good luck to Wagner

chiefhawg

Good for him. I hope that he gets his degree and has a highly successful future.

yraciv

FYI D2 not D3, so I"m assuming he'll have a scholarship. Best of luck to him.

Hawg Red

Quote from: yraciv on July 28, 2014, 01:00:46 pm
FYI D2 not D3, so I"m assuming he'll have a scholarship. Best of luck to him.

You're right. I misread the tweet. Those single numerals get me sometimes.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

rusvegashog

Good luck to the kid. It's not like he can't ball he obviously has some skills. I hope they pay those bills.

poloprince

I wondered where he would end up. Kewl
$PoLoPrInCe$

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: rusvegashog on July 28, 2014, 03:45:19 pm
Good luck to the kid. It's not like he can't ball he obviously has some skills. I hope they pay those bills.

Lol he can dunk!

The Boar War

Hope the best for Dee. I appreciate his time with the Razorbacks.

Mick Hogger

Best of luck to you Mr Wagner. Thank you for being a Hog.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

Biggus Piggus

Whom did Arkansas not sign because of having Wagner for two seasons?
[CENSORED]!

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 29, 2014, 02:25:08 pm
Whom did Arkansas not sign because of having Wagner for two seasons?

We've had an available scholarship eventually go to a walk-on each of the past two seasons. Gulley got it last season, and Charlie Henderson the year before.

Not sure if that's what you're asking, or if having Wagner as depth actually kept us from landing someone else.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Oklahawg

My guess is that the staff did not find a player they liked better than Wagner who liked UA better than other options. Wagner keeps the scholie until that happens. Now, they need the scholie.

That's my take.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ricepig

Who gets the scholarship for this year, Hannah?

Hawg Red

mhuff

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 29, 2014, 02:28:17 pm
We've had an available scholarship eventually go to a walk-on each of the past two seasons. Gulley got it last season, and Charlie Henderson the year before.

Not sure if that's what you're asking, or if having Wagner as depth actually kept us from landing someone else.

Pretty sure that giving one to Wagner in spring kept them from signing another guard the next fall.
[CENSORED]!

gmarv

good luck dee hope it works out for you.

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

TomBigBeeHog

Bon voyage. Don't forget to write. (in bugs bunny voice)
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Modsquad24

We missed out on I.J. Ready is who it was, played at LR Parkview, ended up going to Mississippi State. I think we blew that one, I.J. Ready actually starts in the SEC and is pretty dang good. (Heck of a lot better player than Dee, not being mean just honest.)

maxhog5

Quote from: Pork Twain on July 28, 2014, 03:05:35 pm
San Angelo sucks...

Does it ever.  Went to AIT there.  Everything is brown.  The terrain is brown, the buildings are brown, the river is brown.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Modsquad24 on August 04, 2014, 06:22:21 am
We missed out on I.J. Ready is who it was, played at LR Parkview, ended up going to Mississippi State. I think we blew that one, I.J. Ready actually starts in the SEC and is pretty dang good. (Heck of a lot better player than Dee, not being mean just honest.)

Good luck to I.J., but I think the Hogs are ready to go at the guard spots.

Modsquad24

Well yeah I agree, just was answering question of who we passed on for Dee and saying he would of been a helluva lot better addition to this squad.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Modsquad24 on August 04, 2014, 12:08:38 pm
Well yeah I agree, just was answering question of who we passed on for Dee and saying he would of been a helluva lot better addition to this squad.

We didn't really pass on Ready to sign Wagner. They're in different classes and Ready was already committed to Nebraska when we signed Wagner.

But I do agree Ready would have been better than Wagner.

-Blu

Quote from: Modsquad24 on August 04, 2014, 06:22:21 am

I wouldn't call 6 points and 2 assist per game in 24 minutes "pretty dang good". Especially on the worst team in the conference.  You could have put JaCorey Williams, a guy that didn't play much for us last year, on that team and he would have been one of the best players on that team, if not the best.  And I'll go as far as saying you could probably put Dee Wagner on that team and gave him 24 MPG, and he could have probably put up similar stats to I.J. Ready.  Dee showed a flash against a very good Syracuse team, he just couldn't never beat out any of the upperclassmen to get on the floor.

And I don't know what makes you think I.J. could have done any better.  Coming out of high school Dee was Mr.Basketball of his state averaging well over 20 PPG, I think the gamble they took on him was worth it, the same way they took a gamble on Qualls and Bell, and Bell was a 2-star according to ESPN, and this guy is draining 3's and playing down the stretch in Rupp arena as a sophomore against the best recruiting class ever.  Didn't work out though for Dee and we've moved on.  I don't really see how anybody can criticize that 2012 class, those guys have produced more as a group than any other recruiting class we've had so far, and they are just all getting into their "prime". 

Modsquad24

I never said anything about Qualls or Bell, I simply said Ready is better than Wagner....

-Blu

Quote from: Modsquad24 on August 04, 2014, 07:35:02 pm
I never said anything about Qualls or Bell, I simply said Ready is better than Wagner....

How do you know that?  Ready put up very subpar numbers on a very bad team.  He averaged 2.7 assist and had nearly 2 TOs a game as the starting PG, that's pretty bad.   In the only game Dee ever got a chance to play in he exceeded I.J. Ready numbers against a final 4 team.  I don't see any evidence to suggest if you put Dee on a very bad team and give him 24+ MPG he couldn't put up the same or even better numbers.  You would have a point if Dee played around the same amount of time as IJ, but instead he was behind 2 seniors and a junior in the rotation, on a 22 win team.  IJ Ready would have been in the same situation had he been here.

CDBHawg

Quote from: -Blu on August 04, 2014, 08:50:02 pm
How do you know that?  Ready put up very subpar numbers on a very bad team.  He averaged 2.7 assist and had nearly 2 TOs a game as the starting PG, that's pretty bad.   In the only game Dee ever got a chance to play in he exceeded I.J. Ready numbers against a final 4 team.  I don't see any evidence to suggest if you put Dee on a very bad team and give him 24+ MPG he couldn't put up the same or even better numbers.  You would have a point if Dee played around the same amount of time as IJ, but instead he was behind 2 seniors and a junior in the rotation, on a 22 win team.  IJ Ready would have been in the same situation had he been here.

Ready is playing D1. Wagner isn't.

And Ready's numbers are as a freshman.

-Blu

Quote from: CDBHawg on August 04, 2014, 10:24:53 pm
Ready is playing D1. Wagner isn't.

And Ready's numbers are as a freshman.

What are you talking about dude...  Wagner just played 2 years of D-1 basketball at a better school than I.J. Ready.  The only reason he's dropping down to D-2 is so he won't have to sit out a year.  If you think a school like ASU, Conway, UAPB, Stephen F. Austin etc. wouldn't take Wagner on their roster, your sadly mistaken, he could go to one of those schools and instantly be a starter.  Wagner is a honor student in the classroom, he knows his future is getting his degree not playing basketball, so he dropped down to D-2 he can get out of school on time.  This reminds me of when people were on here talking about Hunter Mickelson would have to transfer to ASU and drop down to a mid-major, after it didn't work out here for him.  News flash, just because it doesn't work out at one spot doesn't mean you don't have the talent, just means it wasn't the best situation for you.

And you guys that talk about Wagner must have never seen him play in practice, pickup, scrimmage etc. he can play D-1 ball, hence that's why he had D-1 offers when he came out of high school.  The problem here at Arkansas is he didn't progress as fast as he needed to beat out the juniors and seniors ahead of him.  If you put I.J. Ready on last year's team, he would have had the same role as Dee Wagner, he would not beat out Gulley, Madden, Kikko, or even Ricky Scott for playing time at the PG spot.  All 4 of those guys had better production per minute than I.J. Ready and did so on a MUCH better team.

CDBHawg

Quote from: -Blu on August 04, 2014, 11:32:48 pm
What are you talking about dude...  Wagner just played 2 years of D-1 basketball at a better school than I.J. Ready.  The only reason he's dropping down to D-2 is so he won't have to sit out a year.  If you think a school like ASU, Conway, UAPB, Stephen F. Austin etc. wouldn't take Wagner on their roster, your sadly mistaken, he could go to one of those schools and instantly be a starter.  Wagner is a honor student in the classroom, he knows his future is getting his degree not playing basketball, so he dropped down to D-2 he can get out of school on time.  This reminds me of when people were on here talking about Hunter Mickelson would have to transfer to ASU and drop down to a mid-major, after it didn't work out here for him.  News flash, just because it doesn't work out at one spot doesn't mean you don't have the talent, just means it wasn't the best situation for you.

And you guys that talk about Wagner must have never seen him play in practice, pickup, scrimmage etc. he can play D-1 ball, hence that's why he had D-1 offers when he came out of high school.  The problem here at Arkansas is he didn't progress as fast as he needed to beat out the juniors and seniors ahead of him.  If you put I.J. Ready on last year's team, he would have had the same role as Dee Wagner, he would not beat out Gulley, Madden, Kikko, or even Ricky Scott for playing time at the PG spot.  All 4 of those guys had better production per minute than I.J. Ready and did so on a MUCH better team.

Miss St., Nebraska, Alabama think differently. We rolled the dice on him. But then again, you also feel we "took a gamble" on Qualls,  who was a top 150 player.

Truth of the matter is that you wouldn't even know who Dee Wagner is had he not played for your favorite team.

Modsquad24

I'm not buying what you are trying to sale Blu, Wagner had offers from all tiny schools and us, I.J. Ready had major D1 offers. I can go by the eye test alone and see Ready is the better of the two.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: CDBHawg on August 05, 2014, 04:07:50 am
Miss St., Nebraska, Alabama think differently. We rolled the dice on him. But then again, you also feel we "took a gamble" on Qualls,  who was a top 150 player.

Truth of the matter is that you wouldn't even know who Dee Wagner is had he not played for your favorite team.

Simple, concise, and to the point. +1
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

-Blu

August 05, 2014, 08:56:29 am #37 Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 09:16:38 am by -Blu
Quote from: CDBHawg on August 05, 2014, 04:07:50 am

Only 1 site ranked Qualls in their top 150.  And I see you left out mentioning Bell who was a 2-star on ESPN. And you also left out Qualls offer list, but then again mentioning those things would hurt your point.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/michael-qualls

Offers:
UCA
Jacksonville
LA Tech
Murry State
Tulane
UTEP
Wichita State

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/anthlon-bell

And glad you mentioned who we would and wouldn't know, you wouldn't know who IJ ready was had he not been from Arkansas.  Point is guys want to come on here every time we have a transfer and bash players and everybody in the world is all of a sudden "better than them" and they can't play on this level.  Your guys argument is for I.J. ready who averaged a whooping 5.9 Points and 2.7 assist and 1.6 TO in 24 minutes on a team that went 3-15 in conference, that's extremely laughable.  We could have started Dee Wagner, Kikko, Manny Watkins, with Portis and Clarke and won at least 5 conference games in Bud Walton. 

LL COOL HOG

Quote from: maxhog5 on August 04, 2014, 08:47:00 am
Does it ever.  Went to AIT there.  Everything is brown.  The terrain is brown, the buildings are brown, the river is brown.

Glad you stopped at the Brown ground, buildings and river.

-Blu

Quote from: Modsquad24 on August 05, 2014, 06:00:20 am
I'm not buying what you are trying to sale Blu, Wagner had offers from all tiny schools and us, I.J. Ready had major D1 offers. I can go by the eye test alone and see Ready is the better of the two.

I.J. Ready was a low 3-star recruit the same as Wagner, he's actually not even ranked as far as a number by any site, they just gave him 3-stars.  I didn't follow Ready's recruiting, but I doubt a 5'8 low 3-star prospect had many "high major" offers.  And if they do it may not be "committable" offers.  We got an Arkansas kid now in Deshaun Williams who's reporting an offer from UConn, but is very raw, and his other offers are from low D-1 schools, not many people believe that UConn offer is a committable offer.

Anyways I'm done arguing about I.J. Ready, his stats speak enough for him.  If your "Eye Test" was impressed with 5 PPG in 24 MPG, I'm just glad your not a recruiter for us.  I just don't like how people like to come and trash a kid and make it seem like he was just the worst player in the world and everybody is better than them as soon as they transfer, you guys did the same thing to Hunter Michelson. 

Swinesong1

Hawg Red

Ready might not have had any high-major offers if not for Wes Flanigan. That's how he got an offer from Nebraska and that's why he's at Mississippi State. He'd likely be a mid-major if not for the Parkview/Flanigan connection.

But he is better than Dee Wagner. That's no question about it.

But, again, this is all silly because us signing Dee Wagner has nothing to do with Ready. Dee Wagner was a 2012 recruit and I.J. Ready was a 2013 recruit that was already committed to a school when we signed Wagner because the coaches pass on him. If the coaches really wanted I.J. Ready, they could have had him. He committed to Nebraska the same weekend Bobby committed to the Hogs. Bobby got his offer and committed immediately and the coaches pretty much told Ready they weren't going to offer so he immediately took the Nebraska offer (then Ready followed Flanigan to MSU after Doc Sadler was fired). This all happened before anyone knew who Dee Wagner was.

At least that is how I remember everything going down. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

CDBHawg

Quote from: -Blu on August 05, 2014, 08:56:29 am
Only 1 site ranked Qualls in their top 150.  And I see you left out mentioning Bell who was a 2-star on ESPN. And you also left out Qualls offer list, but then again mentioning those things would hurt your point.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/michael-qualls

Offers:
UCA
Jacksonville
LA Tech
Murry State
Tulane
UTEP
Wichita State

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/anthlon-bell

And glad you mentioned who we would and wouldn't know, you wouldn't know who IJ ready was had he not been from Arkansas.  Point is guys want to come on here every time we have a transfer and bash players and everybody in the world is all of a sudden "better than them" and they can't play on this level.  Your guys argument is for I.J. ready who averaged a whooping 5.9 Points and 2.7 assist and 1.6 TO in 24 minutes on a team that went 3-15 in conference, that's extremely laughable.  We could have started Dee Wagner, Kikko, Manny Watkins, with Portis and Clarke and won at least 5 conference games in Bud Walton.

I'm not bashing Wagner, he's just not SEC material. He's not the first and certainly will not be the last. Would I have rather had Ready? Absolutely. But would I drop any current scholarship player for Ready? No, I wouldn't.

If the roles were reversed, you'd be defending Ready. Objectivity concerning your favorite team seems to be a weakness for you.

Qualls had offers from Ole Miss and Tennesseee. But I only brought him up because you did. And I promise you, nobody who follows college basketball recruiting thought he was a gamble. Wagner, yes, that was a gamble.

Bell had offers from Auburn, UMass, & Mizzou. Clearly a huge gamble. And I'd say that lone service that ranked him a 2 star evaluated poorly.

And for knowing who Ready is, he's a starting PG on one of our conference foes. It's not inconceivable that fans around the league would know who he is.

I'm glad the "gambles" we made in Qualls, Bell, & Wagner worked out though. Two out if three ain't bad, ay...

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 05, 2014, 10:14:28 am
Ready might not have had any high-major offers if not for Wes Flanigan. That's how he got an offer from Nebraska and that's why he's at Mississippi State. He'd likely be a mid-major if not for the Parkview/Flanigan connection.

But he is better than Dee Wagner. That's no question about it.

But, again, this is all silly because us signing Dee Wagner has nothing to do with Ready. Dee Wagner was a 2012 recruit and I.J. Ready was a 2013 recruit that was already committed to a school when we signed Wagner because the coaches pass on him. If the coaches really wanted I.J. Ready, they could have had him. He committed to Nebraska the same weekend Bobby committed to the Hogs. Bobby got his offer and committed immediately and the coaches pretty much told Ready they weren't going to offer so he immediately took the Nebraska offer (then Ready followed Flanigan to MSU after Doc Sadler was fired). This all happened before anyone knew who Dee Wagner was.

At least that is how I remember everything going down. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, your right this argument is pointless because they came out in 2 different years.  Like I said I didn't follow I.J. Ready's recruitment, TBH didn't seem like a high major player to follow IMO, so I didn't keep up with him.  But, I do know there's not any 5'8 guys out here that's low 3-star recruits with a ton of high major D-1 offers.  And, let's say both Dee and IJ did come out in the same year, would you take Mr.Basketball of Louisiana or the 4th or 5th best player in the state of Arkansas at the time?  Not a bad gamble if you ask me, so I don't see what the criticism is about.  But, at least you provided some substance and data on why you think I.J. is better.

This is CDB and ModSquad's argument....

I.J. Ready started on Miss State
Dee Wagner didn't play for Arkansas
I.J. Ready is better than Dee Wagner
Staff should have picked I.J. Ready over Dee Wagner

And that's pretty much all they came up with.

-Blu

Quote from: Swinesong1 on August 05, 2014, 10:00:48 am
Game, set and match to Blu!

SMH, if this were a courtroom these guys would be on their way to jail, they've lost on all fronts.  I just don't understand out of all the guys in the SEC you can pick to say we should have went after this guy instead of Dee Wagner, they choose a guy that's on the worst team in the conference that averages 5 PPG and came out in a different year, it's almost comical how bad their arguments have been.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on August 05, 2014, 10:51:10 am
Yes, your right this argument is pointless because they came out in 2 different years.  Like I said I didn't follow I.J. Ready's recruitment, TBH didn't seem like a high major player to follow IMO, so I didn't keep up with him.  But, I do know there's not any 5'8 guys out here that's low 3-star recruits with a ton of high major D-1 offers.  And, let's say both Dee and IJ did come out in the same year, would you take Mr.Basketball of Louisiana or the 4th or 5th best player in the state of Arkansas at the time?  Not a bad gamble if you ask me, so I don't see what the criticism is about.  But, at least you provided some substance and data on why you think I.J. is better.

Wagner wasn't a bad gamble at the time. He was only signed because missed out on several big men. He is a good kid and a good student, and like you said, he won Mr. Basketball in LA over guys like Rico Gathers, Javan Felix, and Qualls. If nothing else, Wagner at least helped our APR and probably contributed positively to the community while he was here. We didn't lose out on anyone because of him. He signed on, and not unlike a lot of kids, he couldn't get on the court. It happens. He was a low-risk/high-reward signing. Worst case was what happened -- he transfers after two years of little playing time. Best case -- Anderson has another Squeaky Johnson.

CDBHawg

Quote from: -Blu on August 05, 2014, 10:51:10 am

This is CDB and ModSquad's argument....

I.J. Ready started on Miss State
Dee Wagner didn't play for Arkansas
I.J. Ready is better than Dee Wagner
Staff should have picked I.J. Ready over Dee Wagner

And that's pretty much all they came up with.

You might want to read again. I never state that we should've dropped Wagner to sign Ready. I just stated I thought Ready is a better player.

Your argument:

Dee Wagner, Qualls, & Bell were gambles.
Wagner played smart 1 game against 1 good team.
Ready didn't average great numbers.
Wagner was a Razorback, Ready wasn't.
Therefore Wagner is just as good as Ready.

Give it up man. It is what it is. Nobody is blaming CMA for offering this kid. And given a choice of the two, most would take Ready. That's all that is being said.

-Blu

Quote from: CDBHawg on August 05, 2014, 11:10:24 am
You might want to read again. I never state that we should've dropped Wagner to sign Ready. I just stated I thought Ready is a better player.

Your argument:

Dee Wagner, Qualls, & Bell were gambles.
Wagner played smart 1 game against 1 good team.
Ready didn't average great numbers.
Wagner was a Razorback, Ready wasn't.
Therefore Wagner is just as good as Ready.

Give it up man. It is what it is. Nobody is blaming CMA for offering this kid. And given a choice of the two, most would take Ready. That's all that is being said.

I wasn't even going to respond to you anymore, because you've lost every single one of your arguments, and you like to leave information out.  But, I'm on my lunch break, so I got some time.

If this was a courtroom and you had to prove without a reasonable doubt Ready is better than Wagner, you've failed to do that on several accounts.

My argument is we don't know who's better because we didn't get to see Wagner play in SEC games, with the same minutes given to Ready.  The verdict is still out on whether I.J. Ready is even an SEC caliber player, and the stats back that up.  Those are VERY VERY subpar numbers given the minutes he played. Miss State was short on players and had no choice but to play him, that's the only reason he got the minutes he did.  If Wagner was in the same situation, there's more evidence that he could have put up similar numbers, than evidence he would not.  And that evidence is the game he actually played significant minutes, he actually put up better numbers than Ready, and he was a freshman as well. 

And we also have evidence that if I.J. Ready was in Wagner's situation at Arkansas he wouldn't have played.  If you break down the numbers of all the guys that played significant minutes at the "PG" or "1" position for us last season, all their numbers on a per minute basis were better than I.J. Ready's, and they did so on a BETTER TEAM.  So, based on numbers if I.J. Ready was at Arkansas he would have been sitting on the bench.

You can try to twist and turn the argument any way you want, but I just presented you with stats and facts, you've provided none.  This case is closed..... *Bang* *Bang* Next case.

Swinesong1

Qualls had offers from Ole Miss and Tennesseee. But I only brought him up because you did. And I promise you, nobody who follows college basketball recruiting thought he was a gamble. Wagner, yes, that was a gamble.
[/quote]There were lots of people on this board who thought Qualls was a gamble.  I spent a lot of the summer preceding his freshman year trying to convince them otherwise.

RazorPiggie

Shoulda saved the scholly to begin with.