Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Currently Best class in Arkansas history, #2 in the nation

Started by Hogwild, July 12, 2014, 08:28:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwild

zane

RIP LSUfan

Oklahawg

Fingers crossed there are no last minute surprise signings.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

redeye

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 12, 2014, 10:07:39 pm

I hope a lot of LSU players sign.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 12, 2014, 10:07:39 pm
The only late minute signing surprise I could potentially see is if #1 overall pick Brady Aiken signs for 5M instead of 6.5M because of his elbow issues and the Astros have 2M to throw at Mac Marshall who is signed with LSU.  Otherwise, any high school player of note has either re-committed to their school or signed with the pro team that drafted.

The Hogs had 5 signees drafted and lost only one to the draft.  That was Sam Hentges who is a LHP out of Minnesota who has hit 94 this spring and was a 4th round pick by the Cleveland Indians.  The other 4 we will be getting to campus should be immediate impact type players.  One is Keaton McKinney who is a RHP from Iowa that is 90-94 with movement on his fastball and the best changeup in high school this year.  Another is New Jersey OF Luke Bonfield who spent his senior year at IMG Academy in Florida and might be the best pure hitter heading to college this year.  Both of those guys were top 60 players in their class.  Another is Little Rock 3B/C Blake Wiggins who committed to Arkansas after his freshman year and hits for power at every event he goes to.  The last is California C Nathan Rodriguez who was a top 200 draft prospect like Bonfield and McKinney and is spending the summer playing against college players out in California and made the All-Star Game.

Outside of those 4 I just listed, the Hogs have signed a lot of other high schoolers who could have a big impact next year.  One is Missouri SS Keith Grieshaber who won the Missouri Gatorade State Player of the Year in soccer and was essentially a 5 star soccer recruit, but ultimately chose baseball and is a top 200 recruit with huge potential.  Another is Indiana RHP Jonah Patten who is 90-93 with a 4 pitch mix and should see mound time.  He would have been a top 10 round pick if he was considered signable.  Another is Fayetteville LHP Kyle Pate who hit 91 on the mound this spring.  I have seen reports of where he hit 95 last summer.  Another is Texas LHP Ryan Fant (brother of former Hog Randall) who was another big time recruit and had reports of him hitting 94 last summer.  That isn't even bringing up players like Kansas OF Jack Benninghoff who was highly recruited and has a brother who is a 2016 recruit and is a top 50 player in his class right now, Illinois C Chad Spanberger, and Texas RHP Mark Hammel.

The PG rankings also don't reflect the JUCO signings and only account for HS players.  The Hogs have signed 7 JUCOS, although I don't know if all 7 will be on campus in the fall.  Most of them are playing summer ball in leagues with D-1 players.  Rick Nomura is a 2B from Hawaii, but went to a JUCO in Texas, and like Rodriguez, is an All-Star in California this summer.  He is hitting like .330 right now out there which is impressive.  This could be the #1 class in the country when factoring in JUCO players, but LSU tends to bring in an impressive JUCO haul annually as well.

I have said that this is the type of class that could put this baseball team over the top and have the final dogpile in Omaha.  I really like this class and shows just how great Todd Butler (now HC at Wichita State), Tony Vitello, DVH, and Dave Jorn are at recruiting.  We only signed 3 in-state players out of high school and have told one of them that he no longer has a spot in the fall yet it is still the #2 class.  My favorite part about this class is that they are close as a group right now even though they are literally spread from coast to coast and have a goal to see the Hogs win their first national title.

cubsfan5150

QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

moses_007

lefty08

Quote from: moses_007 on July 13, 2014, 12:26:49 am
If only our football recruiting could be this good.

With stability and hard nosed play on the field, we will get there. Not sure if we can ever pull top 3 classes in football, but top 15 annually is doable. The difference between oir normal 25th ranked class and 15th or so is often one player
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

muddhogger

I see a trip to the Omaha In the hogs future! #omahogs

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

redeye

Ironic that we'd sign the 2nd best class in the nation, but still lose to LSU when they signed 3 fewer players.  The struggles against LSU in baseball continue.

ucahogfan

Quote from: redeye on July 13, 2014, 03:21:26 pm
Ironic that we'd sign the 2nd best class in the nation, but still lose to LSU when they signed 3 fewer players.  The struggles against LSU in baseball continue.
How so?  LSU is the premier baseball program in the country having won 6 national titles since 1990 and having one of the top stadiums in the new Alex Box.  Their baseball program is like Arkansas Track or Alabama football.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Gee......I hope we..."struggle" by achieving the 2nd best class in the nation every year.  If that is struggling & losing....I am all for it.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

gmarv

ICEman

"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Hogwild on July 12, 2014, 08:28:17 pm

The deadline to sign a MLB contract is July 19th.

I haven't seen this before. Thanks for posting.

Hawgzinbowlz

Brother Sebastians, in Omaha, serves one good steak. Nice evening meal, after a win.
I'm looking forward to it.

" GO OMAHOGS "

redeye

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 13, 2014, 03:25:51 pm
How so?  LSU is the premier baseball program in the country having won 6 national titles since 1990 and having one of the top stadiums in the new Alex Box.  Their baseball program is like Arkansas Track or Alabama football.

It just seems like we can never beat them, even when we're favored.

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on July 13, 2014, 04:01:15 pm
Gee......I hope we..."struggle" by achieving the 2nd best class in the nation every year.  If that is struggling & losing....I am all for it.

Well, I was obviously talking about struggling against LSU and it was said with tongue-in-cheek.  I don't follow college baseball that close, but I still know LSU has a great program.  I'll take the #2 class in the nation every year, too.  My comment was meant to be humorous, rather then cynical, but I obviously failed to get that across.

Tick Hog

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on July 12, 2014, 11:40:44 pm
Ucahog, quickly becoming my favorite poster.
If you want to know something college baseball he's definitely your man. I'm glad he post here

ucahogfan

Bumping this thread with the deadline being 4 PM CST today.  Here is a quick update from Jim Callis:

Jim Callis @jimcallisMLB     ·   23s   

Still believe all three sign. May happen at end. @mrdband82: any rumblings about Aiken/Nix/Marshall? T-Minus 3.5 hours... @MLBDraft @Astros

For those that haven't followed the MLB Draft, Aiken is the 1st overall pick and had agreed to a 6.5M signing bonus (which would have been tied for the largest ever for a HS P), but his physical with the Astros was said to reveal some issues with his elbow that made the Astros lower their offer.  Aiken is a UCLA signee, but will never step foot on campus as a student athlete because he could potentially file a grievance about how this situation has went down and enter free agency where he would probably sign for 25-30M.  His slot value was close to 8M.

Jacob Nix is the 5th round pick by the Astros and is also a UCLA signee.  He had agreed to a 1.5M bonus shortly after the draft, but his bonus is contingent on the Astros signing Aiken because they would have to forfeit potentially two first round picks next year and they could be the top 2 picks in the draft.

Mac Marshall is the 21st round pick by the Astros and is a LSU signee.  He is reflected as going to LSU in the updated rankings by PG and if he did sign, it would boost the Hogs up to #1.  His price tag is at least 1.5M, but rumors have it higher so the Astros would probably need Aiken to sign in the 4-5M range in order to sign Marshall, but Callis thinks it will happen.  I believe he is currently in Baton Rouge taking summer classes.

Pork Twain

Your post makes me sad
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

booogaga

Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler 10m

Oh boy RT @johnmanuelba Trying to confirm but one source now saying #Astros failed to sign any of trio: Aiken, Nix or Marshall #MlbDraft
GO HOGS!

PygmalionEffect

Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

redeye

Quote from: Pork Twain on July 18, 2014, 01:27:23 pm
Your post makes me sad

Cheer up Peaches!

Close your eyes and think about your happy place.  Everything will be just fine.

Hawgvillain

No way Aiken will be declared a free agent.  He'll go to UCLA or a JuCo.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Hawgvillain on July 18, 2014, 08:56:33 pm
No way Aiken will be declared a free agent.  He'll go to UCLA or a JuCo.
The MLBPA is going to look into potential legal actions it could take with how the Astros handled the Aiken and Nix situation.  The Astros had agreed to a 1.5M bonus with Nix and he passed his physical so the only reason why the Astros didn't sign him was because of Aiken.  This situation looks like it could get ugly and the Astros cost themselves an elite LHP.

There are reports that grievances could be filed with the MLB how this went down and Jacob Nix could have a very good case because he passed his physical.  Also, there could be concern with the NCAA Agent rule that applies mainly to college baseball.  Players are supposed to have agents negotiate on their behalf so they are called advisors.  Both Aiken and Nix were advised by Casey Close and if the NCAA determines that Close negotiated with the Astros on their behalf, it could cost them their eligibility at UCLA.  I highly doubt Aiken ever throws an inning for UCLA and probably goes either JUCO or to an indy league so he could re-enter the draft next year.

Hawgvillain

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 18, 2014, 10:36:38 pm
The MLBPA is going to look into potential legal actions it could take with how the Astros handled the Aiken and Nix situation.  The Astros had agreed to a 1.5M bonus with Nix and he passed his physical so the only reason why the Astros didn't sign him was because of Aiken.  This situation looks like it could get ugly and the Astros cost themselves an elite LHP.

There are reports that grievances could be filed with the MLB how this went down and Jacob Nix could have a very good case because he passed his physical.  Also, there could be concern with the NCAA Agent rule that applies mainly to college baseball.  Players are supposed to have agents negotiate on their behalf so they are called advisors.  Both Aiken and Nix were advised by Casey Close and if the NCAA determines that Close negotiated with the Astros on their behalf, it could cost them their eligibility at UCLA.  I highly doubt Aiken ever throws an inning for UCLA and probably goes either JUCO or to an indy league so he could re-enter the draft next year.
I'm almost certain he can't go to Indy league and get drafted next year.  I follow this stuff pretty closely and have never heard of a HS player doing that.  I believe the draft rules state you have to be 1) a graduating HS senior, or 2) a graduating JuCo player, or 3) a college player that has completed 3 years of school or 4) 21 years old.

Everything else that you wrote above is true but I think the grievance thing goes nowhere.  The Astros agreed in principle with Nix but there was never a signed contract.  For all we know the Astros told him "this is contingent on us signing Aiken."

There's further complications here too.  Aiken nor Nix are MLB players -- thus, they are not members of the MLB players union.  It's unclear to me how the MLBPA can file any sort of grievance on their behalf. 

Anyhoo, it looks like we agree on my point that there's no way Aiken is allowed to be a free agent.  He'll either go to JuCo or UCLA and be drafted again in a few years.  I'd say the above options are 60% UCLA and 40% JuCo.

online-with-swine

How can a person be the number one player in the draft and not get signed?  He can't be drafted any higher than #1.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Hawgvillain on July 19, 2014, 03:22:40 am
I'm almost certain he can't go to Indy league and get drafted next year.  I follow this stuff pretty closely and have never heard of a HS player doing that.  I believe the draft rules state you have to be 1) a graduating HS senior, or 2) a graduating JuCo player, or 3) a college player that has completed 3 years of school or 4) 21 years old.

Everything else that you wrote above is true but I think the grievance thing goes nowhere.  The Astros agreed in principle with Nix but there was never a signed contract.  For all we know the Astros told him "this is contingent on us signing Aiken."

There's further complications here too.  Aiken nor Nix are MLB players -- thus, they are not members of the MLB players union.  It's unclear to me how the MLBPA can file any sort of grievance on their behalf. 

Anyhoo, it looks like we agree on my point that there's no way Aiken is allowed to be a free agent.  He'll either go to JuCo or UCLA and be drafted again in a few years.  I'd say the above options are 60% UCLA and 40% JuCo.
Well, I have read an article from Jim Callis that states Aiken could go play in an Indy league and be draft eligible next year.  Although there is no precedence, it is still an option.  I'm not saying that Aiken will choose to play in an Indy league, but I highly doubt he ever plays for a school under NCAA rule because his advisor clearly negotiated for him and Nix and that is a big no-no under NCAA rules.

Here is that Callis article I was talking about - http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/astros-top-pick-aiken-unable-to-reach-deal?ymd=20140718&content_id=85103476&vkey=news_mlb

Nix and the Astros only ever had a verbal agreement so he might not have much of an option, but I still think the MLBPA will file a grievance.  And they would have been professional players (although not in the MLB) had the Astros not been completely incompetent.  The largest offer the Astros made on deadline day was said to be 5M so they could sign Marshall, but Aiken held firm on the 6.5M they agreed to before the physical.  The fallout from this will be much greater than the 1.5M more the Astros could have paid Aiken.  The Astros really messed up.

ucahogfan

Quote from: online-with-swine on July 19, 2014, 08:54:02 am
How can a person be the number one player in the draft and not get signed?  He can't be drafted any higher than #1.
He has a small UCL and that raised some serious concerns with the Astros and dropped their offer from 6.5M to 40% of the pick value of like 7.9M in order to get the #2 overall pick in 2015.  This situation would have been avoided if they had a pre-draft physical, but the logistics are tough to figure out because the draft takes place in early June and a lot of draft eligible players are still playing then.

online-with-swine

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 19, 2014, 10:37:46 am
He has a small UCL and that raised some serious concerns with the Astros and dropped their offer from 6.5M to 40% of the pick value of like 7.9M in order to get the #2 overall pick in 2015.  This situation would have been avoided if they had a pre-draft physical, but the logistics are tough to figure out because the draft takes place in early June and a lot of draft eligible players are still playing then.

He should have jumped on the offer then b/c that UCL isn't going to change overnight or ever.

Ray Piggers

Quote from: moses_007 on July 13, 2014, 12:26:49 am
If only our football recruiting could be this good.

That's what happens when you WIN, and have great facilities.

Football has one of two right now. We'll get there
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Ray Piggers on July 19, 2014, 06:25:01 pm
That's what happens when you WIN, and have great facilities.

Football has one of two right now. We'll get there

Define win?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Ray Piggers

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 19, 2014, 07:22:31 pm
Define win?

Post season appearances every year, 2 CWS appearances since 09, 3 since 04.. I'd say we're an elite program.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Ray Piggers on July 19, 2014, 07:42:09 pm
Post season appearances every year, 2 CWS appearances since 09, 3 since 04.. I'd say we're an elite program.

I agree, but you were responding to a comment about the football program.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Ray Piggers

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 19, 2014, 07:45:34 pm
I agree, but you were responding to a comment about the football program.

I mentioned winning and facilities, and said the football team had one of two (facilities).

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Ray Piggers on July 19, 2014, 09:01:55 pm

I mentioned winning and facilities, and said the football team had one of two (facilities).

Ok, but how much winning does the football program have to do to start attracting the better talent?

kingguter

What site are you looking at to get class rankings? Did we make it through yesterday with our entire class intact? Thanks guys

SemperFi

Quote from: kingguter on July 20, 2014, 08:23:03 am
What site are you looking at to get class rankings? Did we make it through yesterday with our entire class intact? Thanks guys

Bump. Looking for confirmation to see how the class turned out too.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

ucahogfan

Quote from: kingguter on July 20, 2014, 08:23:03 am
Perfect Game.  They are the most extensive service when it comes to amateur scouting so they are typically the best when it comes to ranking high school players.

And here is something I wrote earlier in this thread and nothing has changed:

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 12, 2014, 11:28:04 pm
The only late minute signing surprise I could potentially see is if #1 overall pick Brady Aiken signs for 5M instead of 6.5M because of his elbow issues and the Astros have 2M to throw at Mac Marshall who is signed with LSU.  Otherwise, any high school player of note has either re-committed to their school or signed with the pro team that drafted.

The Hogs had 5 signees drafted and lost only one to the draft.  That was Sam Hentges who is a LHP out of Minnesota who has hit 94 this spring and was a 4th round pick by the Cleveland Indians.  The other 4 we will be getting to campus should be immediate impact type players.  One is Keaton McKinney who is a RHP from Iowa that is 90-94 with movement on his fastball and the best changeup in high school this year.  Another is New Jersey OF Luke Bonfield who spent his senior year at IMG Academy in Florida and might be the best pure hitter heading to college this year.  Both of those guys were top 60 players in their class.  Another is Little Rock 3B/C Blake Wiggins who committed to Arkansas after his freshman year and hits for power at every event he goes to.  The last is California C Nathan Rodriguez who was a top 200 draft prospect like Bonfield and McKinney and is spending the summer playing against college players out in California and made the All-Star Game.

Outside of those 4 I just listed, the Hogs have signed a lot of other high schoolers who could have a big impact next year.  One is Missouri SS Keith Grieshaber who won the Missouri Gatorade State Player of the Year in soccer and was essentially a 5 star soccer recruit, but ultimately chose baseball and is a top 200 recruit with huge potential.  Another is Indiana RHP Jonah Patten who is 90-93 with a 4 pitch mix and should see mound time.  He would have been a top 10 round pick if he was considered signable.  Another is Fayetteville LHP Kyle Pate who hit 91 on the mound this spring.  I have seen reports of where he hit 95 last summer.  Another is Texas LHP Ryan Fant (brother of former Hog Randall) who was another big time recruit and had reports of him hitting 94 last summer.  That isn't even bringing up players like Kansas OF Jack Benninghoff who was highly recruited and has a brother who is a 2016 recruit and is a top 50 player in his class right now, Illinois C Chad Spanberger, and Texas RHP Mark Hammel.

The PG rankings also don't reflect the JUCO signings and only account for HS players.  The Hogs have signed 7 JUCOS, although I don't know if all 7 will be on campus in the fall.  Most of them are playing summer ball in leagues with D-1 players.  Rick Nomura is a 2B from Hawaii, but went to a JUCO in Texas, and like Rodriguez, is an All-Star in California this summer.  He is hitting like .330 right now out there which is impressive.  This could be the #1 class in the country when factoring in JUCO players, but LSU tends to bring in an impressive JUCO haul annually as well.

I have said that this is the type of class that could put this baseball team over the top and have the final dogpile in Omaha.  I really like this class and shows just how great Todd Butler (now HC at Wichita State), Tony Vitello, DVH, and Dave Jorn are at recruiting.  We only signed 3 in-state players out of high school and have told one of them that he no longer has a spot in the fall yet it is still the #2 class.  My favorite part about this class is that they are close as a group right now even though they are literally spread from coast to coast and have a goal to see the Hogs win their first national title.

Hopefully this is what you were looking for.

SemperFi

Thank you ucahogfan! Great stuff and I look forward to the Hogs making a run at the CWS.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Pork Twain

Quote from: redeye on July 18, 2014, 06:20:40 pm
Cheer up Peaches!

Close your eyes and think about your happy place.  Everything will be just fine.
Not sad for me, sad for you
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

mhuff

Really encouraged with recruiting class. Great job coaches. WPS

Ray Piggers

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 19, 2014, 09:06:00 pm
Ok, but how much winning does the football program have to do to start attracting the better talent?

I don't know how well the Hogs recruited before DVH took over, all I know is that we probably had less tradition in regards to baseball than we did in football. I don't know that that's the case anymore.

Recent success is the biggest issue for Arkansas in my eyes in regards to football. No one cares or remembers how good the Hogs were in the 60's,70's, and even 80's anymore (outside of Arkansas). Petrino was getting there with back to back 10+ win seasons, but he wasn't the kind of recruiter DVH is. DVH just seems like the kinda guy you wanna go to war with. I'd say winning at all at this point with the recruiters we have on The Hill will shock people. If CBB can prove he can sustain a winning culture with a string of winning seasons recruiting should take off. I'll say that CBB signs his first top 10 class in 2017.