Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs Biggest Surprise team in SEC?

Started by EulessHog, July 12, 2014, 07:48:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BornaHog

Saying we'll be 6 and 6 overall but 4 and 4 in the SEC. Would make more sense to say 8 and 4 and 4 and 4 SEC. I we win 4 in the SEC we should win all of our non conference games.   WPS    :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:    GHG
Born a HOG and will die a HOG, but that's not the only way to become a HOG

Uncommon

Quote from: BornaHog on July 12, 2014, 07:55:19 pm
Saying we'll be 6 and 6 overall but 4 and 4 in the SEC. Would make more sense to say 8 and 4 and 4 and 4 SEC. I we win 4 in the SEC we should win all of our non conference games.   WPS    :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:    GHG
Agree. Don't know where they got 6-6, 4-4 in SEC. It's more like 6-6, 3-5 SEC or 2-6 SEC.

LZH

Yepper, right between Colorado and South Alabama.

I do believe he's right, though.

Professor Psychosis

Must think we lose to Northern Illinois or something.  I'm pretty sure we won't go 4-4 in the SEC if we lose to them, which isn't going to happen.

EulessHog

Well, we are coming off a season with the most losses in Razorback history!

Since 1894, only four teams have worse win/ loss percentages.  Last years team is the biggest loser though as no Hog football team has ever lost nine games in one season. Couple that misery with the Year of the Clown and you have an any era victory vacuum/ winning percentage depression. 

From this point on though, I'm going to try to be a Bielema-liever (spelling).  What choice is there?
Go Hogs Go!

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Uncommon on July 12, 2014, 08:09:09 pm
Agree. Don't know where they got 6-6, 4-4 in SEC. It's more like 6-6, 3-5 SEC or 2-6 SEC.

It is Bleacher Report.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 13, 2014, 08:45:45 am
It is Bleacher Report.

And some on here wonder why little stock is given to Bleacher Report.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

LRRandy

This is fun, isn't it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LRRandy on July 13, 2014, 09:19:46 am
dare to dream!!

Eh, you never know. I realize that it is currently popular to have a diminished expectation for the season. I don't know whether that is because some of our posters are so prideful that they have a hard time being optimistic and then being afraid that they may be proven wrong, or they are just so fragile emotionally that they have to expect the worst so that they can manage their emotions if the worst occurs. Honestly, Dr. Phil could make a mint with that portion of our fan base.

You never know what is going to happen. The "little things" in football can mean a lot in terms of success or failure. Sometimes the difference between success and failure is about the width of a human hair. Those who are disciplined and pay attention to the details often overcome those who don't.

We have the potential on this team to be a lot better than 6 wins this year. If we don't play disciplined football, if we overlook the little details, if we can't be absolutely focused on what we need to do one play at a time to be successful, this could be a 4 win season.

But good grief, some of you guys/gals need an analyst, and you know who you are. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

LRRandy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 13, 2014, 09:34:44 am
Eh, you never know. I realize that it is currently popular to have a diminished expectation for the season. I don't know whether that is because some of our posters are so prideful that they have a hard time being optimistic and then being afraid that they may be proven wrong, or they are just so fragile emotionally that they have to expect the worst so that they can manage their emotions if the worst occurs. Honestly, Dr. Phil could make a mint with that portion of our fan base.

You never know what is going to happen. The "little things" in football can mean a lot in terms of success or failure. Sometimes the difference between success and failure is about the width of a human hair. Those who are disciplined and pay attention to the details often overcome those who don't.

We have the potential on this team to be a lot better than 6 wins this year. If we don't play disciplined football, if we overlook the little details, if we can't be absolutely focused on what we need to do one play at a time to be successful, this could be a 4 win season.

But good grief, some of you guys/gals need an analyst, and you know who you are. ;)
you can point to managing emotions or expectations or the need for therapy. Some of that may be true. Or you could just look at the fact they the team has been terrible. There are some talented athletes at some positions but there are still so  many positions with huge questions ( WR, C, QB, LB,CB , S and depth at all positions) that it's easier to believe 5 wins than 7. I don't have a problem with fans hoping for the best and believing the team will get better. I think they will be better also. It's the people that take the stance of "6 wins minimum and you are worthless if you think otherwise " posts or someone telling folks they need therapy for taking a wait and see approach  on a team that didn't win a conference game last year and has won only 7 games ( 6 being cupcakes) in 2 seasons. Yeah those people need therapy. I stand on 5 wins. I can't fathom not improving and only winning 3-4. If the team comes together quicker than I think ( after all who am I ) and they win 6 or more then I might just , I don't know, suck eggs.
This is fun, isn't it.

bigbadhog

6 wins this year would be shooting for the stars.  I am going with 4 with 3 and 5 as realistic possibilities. 
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LRRandy on July 13, 2014, 10:12:02 am
you can point to managing emotions or expectations or the need for therapy. Some of that may be true. Or you could just look at the fact they the team has been terrible. There are some talented athletes at some positions but there are still so  many positions with huge questions ( WR, C, QB, LB,CB , S and depth at all positions) that it's easier to believe 5 wins than 7. I don't have a problem with fans hoping for the best and believing the team will get better. I think they will be better also. It's the people that take the stance of "6 wins minimum and you are worthless if you think otherwise " posts or someone telling folks they need therapy for taking a wait and see approach  on a team that didn't win a conference game last year and has won only 7 games ( 6 being cupcakes) in 2 seasons. Yeah those people need therapy. I stand on 5 wins. I can't fathom not improving and only winning 3-4. If the team comes together quicker than I think ( after all who am I ) and they win 6 or more then I might just , I don't know, suck eggs.

No doubt that there are questions that need to be answered. My point was, as I think you understand, is that some have a problem with their expectation/projection, or hope that they hold, either because they are so afraid that they might be wrong or are so weak of mind that they can't handle disappointment when they really and truly expected and hoped for more.

As I said, I think Arkansas has a chance to be better than most expect, but there are a lot of little details that have to be successfully attended to in order to make that happen. If we attend to those details we may be better than 6 wins. If we don't (as I said) we could easily be a 4-6 win team.

I am just trying to look at this from a rational standpoint as opposed to an emotional standpoint.
Go Hogs Go!

HiggiePiggy

Actually I think 6 wins is a realistic expectation for this year. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Uncommon

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 13, 2014, 11:30:14 am
Actually I think 6 wins is a realistic expectation for this year. 
I think so too.  I think 4-8, 5-7, or 6-6 are the most likely outcomes this season.  Anything above 6-6 is optimistic and anything below 4-8 is pessimistic.

Al Boarland

Quote from: LRRandy on July 13, 2014, 10:12:02 am

+1. I won't sacrifice being right for being optimistic or pessimistic. I shoot for realistic.

5 wins.

lefty08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 13, 2014, 11:11:02 am
No doubt that there are questions that need to be answered. My point was, as I think you understand, is that some have a problem with their expectation/projection, or hope that they hold, either because they are so afraid that they might be wrong or are so weak of mind that they can't handle disappointment when they really and truly expected and hoped for more.

As I said, I think Arkansas has a chance to be better than most expect, but there are a lot of little details that have to be successfully attended to in order to make that happen. If we attend to those details we may be better than 6 wins. If we don't (as I said) we could easily be a 4-6 win team.

I am just trying to look at this from a rational standpoint as opposed to an emotional standpoint.

isnt that true for every team every year in this league?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

EulessHog

We have just as good a chance of winning 2 or 3 games as we do 7 or 8.  My bet is that we'll end up shy of 6.  After all, we are coming off the biggest winning drought in school history.
Go Hogs Go!

Rocky Mountain Living

jgphillips3

6 wins is very possible and I say probable.  5 seems to be the closest to a consensus as possibly throwing out the absurd only 3 wins and more than 8 wins fringe predictions.  We should have had 5 last year so I'm going with 6-6.  4 non cons and 2 SEC wins.  I see our two SEC wins coming from a pool of (MSU, Ole Miss, A&M and Missouri).  I also won't put a loss to Texas Tech coupled with an upset of LSU or Auburn completely out of the realm of possibility, but logically the 4 non-cons and 2 lower SEC teams seems pragmatic.

LRRandy

Quote from: jgphillips3 on July 13, 2014, 03:06:17 pm
6 wins is very possible and I say probable.  5 seems to be the closest to a consensus as possibly throwing out the absurd only 3 wins and more than 8 wins fringe predictions.  We should have had 5 last year so I'm going with 6-6.  4 non cons and 2 SEC wins.  I see our two SEC wins coming from a pool of (MSU, Ole Miss, A&M and Missouri).  I also won't put a loss to Texas Tech coupled with an upset of LSU or Auburn completely out of the realm of possibility, but logically the 4 non-cons and 2 lower SEC teams seems pragmatic.
thats perfectly reasonable. To go to a bowl game after the last two seasons would be a great step forward.
This is fun, isn't it.

Hogarusa

Quote from: Uncommon on July 12, 2014, 08:09:09 pm

The writer obviously has the Hogs losing to Texas Tech and N. illinois.  It isnt a hard puzzle to put together.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Uncommon

Quote from: lowberh on July 13, 2014, 03:20:29 pm
The writer obviously has the Hogs losing to Texas Tech and N. illinois.  It isnt a hard puzzle to put together.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: lowberh on July 13, 2014, 03:20:29 pm

The writer is smoking dope if he thinks we lose those two games and still win that many in the SEC.

HiggiePiggy

We should have had 6 last year.  Rutgers, Mississippi State, and LSU were ours and we lost them all.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Jamie Jones

I love how so many on here loathe HDN, yet take their mindset directly from him. After the whole courtship between Nebraska and Hootie, he worked tirelessly to make the next few seasons softer for the fans, by telling us how the next few years were going to be "rebuilding years" and that we should lower our expectations while they worked to re-stock the cupboard. That mindset was why I disliked the guy. It is a defeatist attitude and I want no part of it.

I liked what Coach Bielema said on day one. He expects to win SEC championships...the right way. He may have touched a nerve with some, with his big talk and final record for season one, but I want my coach building the program right and his expectations high every year.

I think we will be the surprise team, based on the predictions of this preseason alone. Heck, when we get bowl eligible, we could be hearing CBB's name mentioned for COTY. I'm going to be where I can see every minute of every game. And I'm going into each Saturday expecting to win. If we don't, I will chalk it up to a learning experience and move forward to the next game, happy that we have a positive coach that never expects to lose.  :razorback:
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.