Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why Would Anyone Expect Us To Be Better This Year?

Started by The NewEra, July 12, 2014, 09:00:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Boarland

Quote from: Rocky Mountain Living on July 13, 2014, 11:03:22 am
NewEra,

Great post.

Couple highlights....If CBB says Derby compares to former player Iowa great Dallas Clark?

Derby opposite of Henry is going to be lethal.   Way too early predictions:  Derby gets drafted in the 5th Round or higher next year.

Bijohn is going to be 1st team Freshman DT in the SEC/CFB next year. 

The big jump from year 1 to year 2 with Strength Coach Herbert is going to stand out in the 4th quarter next year (especially at home).

Hogs beat Ole Piss on Senior day.  Hogs beat Missery on the road.  Hogs take 2 of 4 from either Gig Em, Mistake, UGAhh, or LSwho.  Hogs win 8 and finish 4-4 in the SEC

Bold predictions. Ole Miss will be good this year.

Rocky Mountain Living

CBB knows Tight Ends

CBB finally got Derby to give Tight End a try....and the rest is history.

GO HOGS

ricepig

Rocky Mountain Living

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 13, 2014, 11:54:40 am

I would take the bet straight up.

We have like 21 seniors playing their last game at home that day?   

I won't miss that game!

beat LSwho, then Ole Piss on Senior Day, and closeout the season with a win @Misoury

Hogs may finish the season on a 3 game win streak.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Rocky Mountain Living on July 13, 2014, 12:05:49 pm
I would take the bet straight up.

We have like 21 seniors playing their last game at home that day?   

I won't miss that game!

beat LSwho, then Ole Piss on Senior Day, and closeout the season with a win @Misoury

Hogs could finish the season on a 3 game win streak.

Yeah, it could happen, but it's not likely. 

IMO

SPAL

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 12, 2014, 01:56:28 pm
Great OP and a mature thread.

I believe the biggest issue facing UA football is not physical but emotional. They have been beaten down. They came to expect chaos within the program. They came to expect a close game to be a loss. Once UA beats someone they aren't supposed to, especially if they win it late or hold off a late effort to preserve a win, they will improve dramatically. How far we've fallen physically is hard to say until you repair the emotional side of things.

Exactly. Just like the basketball team couldn't win on the road. They were close, held some late leads, but just couldn't close. Then Qualls hit a 3 to beat vandy after we were close to throwing another one away. Then we got hot and showed improvement and won some road games.

I expect us to do exactly what you said... win a game we shouldn't

Rocky Mountain Living

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 13, 2014, 12:11:40 pm
Yeah, it could happen, but it's not likely. 

IMO

We have an extremely favorable schedule this year while playing in the hardest division.

Closeout our season:

LSwho plays bama while Hogs are on a bye.

Hogs final 4 weeks of the season:
bye,
LSwho @home,
then Ole Piss @home,
Friday after Thanksgiving @Misoury

Pig Worshipper

This is the time of year that all college football fans start getting antsy for the season to start and also become wildly optimistic. But this year I really feel our optimism is not misplaced. Yes, we have a ridiculously hard schedule but I think this team is poised for a surprisingly good year.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Rocky Mountain Living on July 13, 2014, 12:26:54 pm
We have an extremely favorable schedule this year while playing in the hardest division.

Closeout our season:

LSwho plays bama while Hogs are on a bye.

Hogs final 5 weeks of the season:
bye,
LSwho @home,
then Ole Piss @home,
then bye,
Friday after Thanksgiving @Misoury

Yeah, that's as favorable as it get's considering who is on that list.  Just because it could be worse doesn't mean we will win those games.  Ole Miss and LSU are more talented and Mizzou's offense could give us fits. 

I think how we do before all those games will be another factor.  If we haven't had a lot of success we could drop all three.  If we have upset some teams then it might be possible.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on July 13, 2014, 12:30:48 pm
This is the time of year that all college football fans start getting antsy for the season to start and also become wildly optimistic. But this year I really feel our optimism is not misplaced. Yes, we have a ridiculously hard schedule but I think this team is poised for a surprisingly good year.

I agree.  And that optimism will get amplified right up until kickoff.  After that, depending on how it goes, reality sets in. 

LZH

I'm not far from him.....7-5 should be about right.  Of course I'm not quite as rosy in how I say it.

Rocky Mountain Living

July 13, 2014, 12:48:06 pm #61 Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 01:24:15 pm by Rocky Mountain Living
Quote from: Al Boarland on July 13, 2014, 12:31:42 pm
Yeah, that's as favorable as it get's considering who is on that list.  Just because it could be worse doesn't mean we will win those games.  Ole Miss and LSU are more talented and Mizzou's offense could give us fits. 

I think how we do before all those games will be another factor.  If we haven't had a lot of success we could drop all three.  If we have upset some teams then it might be possible.

Catchin LSwho in the 'ville on 11.15 is the perfect storm

....Slive must of been asleep at the wheel or compromised?

CBB won't lose too many more Senior Days as Head Hog....(after last season's loss to Aubarn)....call it a hunch.

If we fare well against spread offenses @aubarn, gig em @jerry world, @ttu?   Misoury better watchout!  (Misoury comes home after playing @Gig Em, then @Tenner the previous two weeks before facing us)

It will be a great season to be a Hog fan. 

WPS

LZH

Quote from: Rocky Mountain Living on July 13, 2014, 12:48:06 pm
Catchin LSwho in the 'ville on 11.15 is the perfect storm

If that means that we've got an 11:15 kickoff, then I think that bodes well for them.  If they were gonna move the LSU game to RRS then where is all the glitz and pageantry that we usually need to beat them?

I think we'd have been much better off with a night game.  Much better off.

ricepig

Rocky Mountain Living

Quote from: LZH on July 13, 2014, 12:51:57 pm
If that means that we've got an 11:15 kickoff, then I think that bodes well for them.  If they were gonna move the LSU game to RRS then where is all the glitz and pageantry that we usually need to beat them?

I think we'd have been much better off with a night game.  Much better off.

Meant to say with Hogs on Bye and LSwho hosting Nick Saban on 11.08.14.

11.15.14 is doing LSwho no favors when they travel to Arkansas (coming off 13 days rest).

....Must of happend by accident when they decided to change around the Friday after Thanksgiving games this year.

Pig In The City

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 12, 2014, 01:56:28 pm
Great OP and a mature thread.

I believe the biggest issue facing UA football is not physical but emotional. They have been beaten down. They came to expect chaos within the program. They came to expect a close game to be a loss. Once UA beats someone they aren't supposed to, especially if they win it late or hold off a late effort to preserve a win, they will improve dramatically. How far we've fallen physically is hard to say until you repair the emotional side of things.

I agree. Losing became a bad habit and an excuse not to work hard. It happens when morale is lost. Hiring happy the clown was a bad idea in hindsight but I am very proud of the direction our program is headed. I am 100% hog fan and I am just ready to watch the fun.

lumphog

Quote from: ThatGUY on July 12, 2014, 10:48:38 am
The reasons documented above by the OP are perfect examples why Arkansas will always be a stepping stone job and never a destination job.

There are football "programs" and there are football "teams" in every conference in America.... Arkansas fields good teams occasionally but has never been and if history is a precursor will never be a "program"
Dude . . . I'll hit my screen so hard it'll knock you OUT!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: Pig In The City on July 13, 2014, 01:20:51 pm
I agree. Losing became a bad habit and an excuse not to work hard. It happens when morale is lost. Hiring happy the clown was a bad idea in hindsight but I am very proud of the direction our program is headed. I am 100% hog fan and I am just ready to watch the fun.

"Clown" should never have been interim HC at Arkansas. IMHO Jeff Long believed that the Hog football HC job was so desirable that high caliber HC would fall all over themselves trying to get the job. He was wrong and hiring JLS was a desperation move.

Having said that, I do think the Hogs will do better this year. The coaching staff, talent, and experience is all in place for a nice season.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

lefty08

Quote from: GuvHog on July 13, 2014, 01:40:49 pm
"Clown" should never have been interim HC at Arkansas. IMHO Jeff Long believed that the Hog football HC job was so desirable that high caliber HC would fall all over themselves trying to get the job. He was wrong and hiring JLS was a desperation move.

That is a far out belief. Might be true haf he decided to fire bobby for reasons that didnt include the motorcycle wreck. Believing what u just posted would mean u want us to believe the sole reason he fired bobby was because he thought we could get a first class coach(which we did the year after). That is just insane thinking. The reason he hired jls was because of the relationship, and his experience as a head coach.

He really only had 2 choices at head coach with the fuys who were on the staff, and neither of them were viable options as they have since proven. It was a tough spot to be in and he made what he thought was the right move, which he has since admitted was a mistake.

Im not sure what some of u guys expect from long, but sayimg jls was desperation because he thought we could do better is untrue. He was forced to make a move in the spring and really had no good options
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

GuvHog

Quote from: lefty08 on July 13, 2014, 01:47:37 pm
That is a far out belief. Might be true haf he decided to fire bobby for reasons that didnt include the motorcycle wreck. Believing what u just posted would mean u want us to believe the sole reason he fired bobby was because he thought we could get a first class coach(which we did the year after). That is just insane thinking. The reason he hired jls was because of the relationship, and his experience as a head coach.

He really only had 2 choices at head coach with the fuys who were on the staff, and neither of them were viable options as they have since proven. It was a tough spot to be in and he made what he thought was the right move, which he has since admitted was a mistake.

Im not sure what some of u guys expect from long, but sayimg jls was desperation because he thought we could do better is untrue. He was forced to make a move in the spring and really had no good options

That comment you quoted has nothing to do with why Bobby was fired. Jeff Long thought big name coaches would fall all over themselves to take the job and in doing so, he miscalculated. It's not really uncommon, Frank miscalculated some too.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on July 13, 2014, 01:56:24 pm
That comment you quoted has nothing to do with why Bobby was fired. Jeff Long thought big name coaches would fall all over themselves to take the job and in doing so, he miscalculated. It's not really uncommon, Frank miscalculated some too.

Who told you this?

lefty08

Wow Guv, I understand we dont agree much but dang, thats wayyyyyy out there my friend
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

chitwnhog

Quote from: ricepig on July 13, 2014, 01:58:23 pm
Who told you this?
. He told himself this...and as usual what he tells himself he brings to Hogville as fact.

nchogg

When Long fired Petrino and had a decision to make. He did not have time to find a coach. He wanted to get the right coach which was not going to happen in the spring. Some of the assistant coaches were wanting to be the interum coach. Long talked to the players and they wanted to keep the coaching staff in tact. JLS called Long and Long felt with JLS he could keep stability in the program since JLS knew all the coaches and players and we were a top 5 team. The division within the staff killed the season and coach B has worked to get that taste out of the players mouth. Remember the coaches accused the players of quitting and Tyler called out both the players and coaches. JLS wanted an NC and felt a top 5 team could get it for him but he could not keep the players and coaches together. Coach "B" will get there.

lumphog

LZH

Quote from: Rocky Mountain Living on July 13, 2014, 01:02:38 pm
Meant to say with Hogs on Bye and LSwho hosting Nick Saban on 11.08.14.

11.15.14 is doing LSwho no favors when they travel to Arkansas (coming off 13 days rest).

....Must of happend by accident when they decided to change around the Friday after Thanksgiving games this year.

My bad, I mistook a date for a time.  You young educated cats use dots where we used to use sticks or bars.

Excellent, now I feel sufficiently stupid.

atekido

IF all we do is improve our Passing Defense greatly things would be drastically different from last year.  Teams passed on us at will last year and we were forced to always play from behind because of how easy and quickly some teams scored.  That puts A lot of pressure on the offense and the QB.  we fix that and i think everything else will fall into place.

TheRazorback500

There's a lot of reasons why we should be better. We've got more continuity in the program this year. We've fine-tuned the coaching staff on defense, which means a simpler scheme to go along with our increased experience and depth. We've got three explosive running backs, BA's starting the season healthy against one of our better opponents, and the OL and WR positions have received significant upgrades. Hopefully, it'll show up on the scoreboard, but we WILL be better.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

chitwnhog

Quote from: nchogg on July 13, 2014, 02:20:42 pm
When Long fired Petrino and had a decision to make. He did not have time to find a coach. He wanted to get the right coach which was not going to happen in the spring. Some of the assistant coaches were wanting to be the interum coach. Long talked to the players and they wanted to keep the coaching staff in tact. JLS called Long and Long felt with JLS he could keep stability in the program since JLS knew all the coaches and players and we were a top 5 team. The division within the staff killed the season and coach B has worked to get that taste out of the players mouth. Remember the coaches accused the players of quitting and Tyler called out both the players and coaches. JLS wanted an NC and felt a top 5 team could get it for him but he could not keep the players and coaches together. Coach "B" will get there.

I just do not understand why so many do not get this.

Big Poppa Z

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 12, 2014, 04:41:06 pm
Can we put to bed that aggressiveness equates to success?  That's not necessarily the case. When you are aggressive you leave yourself open to get burned. It takes talent and execution. Just because you run press coverage or send more guys after the QB doesn't mean you are going to win. If anything it's high risk. With our offense allowing another team to score a bunch of points is not a good thing. We can't win shoot outs.

Live by the blitz, die by the blitz.

Al Boarland

lefty08

Not sure blitzing is what people.mean when they say aggressive. I could be wrong but I think most are referring to the 15 yard cushion we gave last year

Al Boarland

Quote from: lefty08 on July 13, 2014, 06:03:13 pm
Not sure blitzing is what people.mean when they say aggressive. I could be wrong but I think most are referring to the 15 yard cushion we gave last year

That's a talent issue, not a scheme issue.  If you don't have talent on the outside you have to prevent the big play (big cushions).  Unfortunately, every scheme has weaknesses and obviously playing that way makes you vulnerable to short routes.  However, press (aggressive) leaves you vulnerable to big plays. 

lefty08

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 13, 2014, 06:21:44 pm
That's a talent issue, not a scheme issue.  If you don't have talent on the outside you have to prevent the big play (big cushions).  Unfortunately, every scheme has weaknesses and obviously playing that way makes you vulnerable to short routes.  However, press (aggressive) leaves you vulnerable to big plays.

Agreed, and its just semantics but the talk ive heard is more agressive, not your hairs on fire aggressive. I see what ur saying

PonderinHog

LRRandy

c'mon. Everyone knows it was Ash's scheme and play calling. That's why he is outta here
This is fun, isn't it.

LZH

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 13, 2014, 06:40:41 pm
Joe Lee Dunn ain't walkin' through that door.

Last year I would have personally helped him move back to Fayetteville.

Augustus

Yep. Ole Miss had the #4 ranked recruiting class in all of CFB in 2013 (per 24/7 Sports), and #14 ranked class last year... For the next few years, I'm kinda worried.

Hopefully, NCAA investigations will start to ramp up, before they can do serious damage  ;)

Al Boarland

Quote from: LRRandy on July 13, 2014, 06:47:28 pm
c'mon. Everyone knows it was Ash's scheme and play calling. That's why he is outta here

IMO, Ash is gone because CBB believes if things are simplified on that side of the ball they can just line up and play.  That is good and bad.  Good in that we can play faster.  Bad in that good OC's will be able to take advantage of a simple system.  We are just going to have to hope we can get pressure and force bad throws.  Offenses will dink and dunk when we bring heat, so tackling will be HUGE (shocker).

As far as the secondary is concerned, moving forward we need to recruit tall, rangy DB's for the outside that can match up with the tall WR's on the rosters of our opponents.  Those guys are scarce and most of them get locked down by programs that recruit better than we do, but that's what we need. 

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I really like the idea of hitting the JUCO ranks hard.

LZH

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 13, 2014, 07:11:23 pm
Offenses will dink and dunk when we bring heat, so tackling will be HUGE (shocker).

Poor tackling has killed us for six years.  Bielema MUST improve that...that's why he was brought here.

PorkSoda

I think you have to play aggressive anyway.  I don't care if we are 'talented enough'.  sometimes you give up the big play, but if you play scared you already lost anyway.  our DB need to get used to sticking to their guy like glue.  then put a fast safety over the top to clean up after mistakes.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

lefty08

I think if we can get pressure the coverage will take care of itself. Our corners and safeties are talented enough to cover for 4 seconds........8?  Not so much

Al Boarland

Quote from: PorkSoda on July 13, 2014, 08:04:47 pm
I think you have to play aggressive anyway.  I don't care if we are 'talented enough'.  sometimes you give up the big play, but if you play scared you already lost anyway.  our DB need to get used to sticking to their guy like glue.  then put a fast safety over the top to clean up after mistakes.

I agree. 

hawginbigd1

A lot of very good points have been made, but i have missed anyone talking about our biggest deficiency from last year. Our level of play at LB would not have been sufficient at UCA, and maybe not even at Springdale. Safety was not good most of the time, which unfortunately makes the CB's look even worse than they are actually playing. You tend to give a bigger cushion at CB if you don't trust you have help over the top. Conversely it looks really bad if you give a big cushion and there are also no LB's in good underneath coverage position. Lb's were problem #1 and safety was a close #2. Our CB's played much better than most realize, with the exception of one player who struggles to tackle who shall remain nameless.

Jamie Jones

Quote from: ThatGUY on July 12, 2014, 10:48:38 am
The reasons documented above by the OP are perfect examples why Arkansas will always be a stepping stone job and never a destination job.

There are football "programs" and there are football "teams" in every conference in America.... Arkansas fields good teams occasionally but has never been and if history is a precursor will never be a "program"
This is the single dumbest thing that I've ever read on Hogville. And that is saying something. Name one coach who has used Arkansas for an immediate better job. If you are referring to assistants moving on for head coaching jobs or better pay at other places, then yes, it is a launching point for future coaches. FJB has the trophy named after him for this very reason.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Piggfoot

Why would anyone not expect us to be better this year Troll?
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

DeltaBoy

IMO HOGS WIN 6 and go Bowling in either ,Memphis, Shreveport or Dallas.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

MountieDawg

Quote from: The NewEra on July 12, 2014, 09:00:00 am
I find it amusing when people act like we are bringing out the same team we had last year as their excuse for us to have another three win season or such.  Hey, this is college football.  Every year every school fields a new team. That's what makes College Football so great.  Every year someone new shows up to show out.

Here are some of the reasons we will be vastly improved.

•   This is the first time in four seasons this team will have the same head coach.  Just think about that for a second.  No team can expect to be better if every year they bring in a new coach and have to learn a new philosophy and way of doing things on and off the field.  This is huge for these players and this program.  The fact that we haven't seen the annual perp walk for off the field violations should tell us the program is doing well behind the scene.

•   The first time the linebacking corps and offense will have had the same coach in four years.

•   On the defensive side of the ball the change in Defensive Coordinator is nothing short of a major step up.  Ash wasn't a good OC and didn't belong here.  Partridge was a loss, but Seagrest appears to be at least equal to him, possibly even better.  Time will tell.  Jennings is an incredible get for the secondary, recruiting and the team as a whole.  This guy will make a name for himself at Arkansas.

•   We will finally play aggressively on the D and not let the opposing offense dictate the entire play of the game.  Don't expect to see a prevent defense play after play with Rob Smith.  No more mental melt downs in the fourth quarter letting a freshman quarterback leisurely sit in the pocket and pick our secondary apart.  The days of average or poor quarterbacks looking like Heisman candidates against our defense are over.

•   A full season under Ben Herbert will be huge.

•   We have something around 18 Freshmen or redshirt Freshmen who received significant playing time in the SEC last year.  Several were starters.  That experience will pay major dividends.

•   Our D line will be stout with Flowers, Wise, Hodge and Philon.  Add newcomer 4 * Jackson in the mix.  It's going to be hard to keep him out of the rotation, even as a true freshman.

•   The secondary will be vastly improved with Jennings and Smith teaching these guys and the fact that they don't have to continually try and cover guys for four seconds or more. 

•   Offensively, in the second year under Chaney and Pittman we should be ready for a breakout.  There are several returning All Americans on that side of the ball.  The O-line should be one of the best in the SEC this year.  Definitely better than the middle of the pack.  Tight Ends and Running Backs are an area you have to be excited with.  AJ Derby and Duwop Mitchell could quite conceivably be players that make a name for themselves this year and no one even mentions them right now.  Cornelius and Hollister should provide some much needed production in the passing game and there are several others that are capable of stepping up and contributing in a big way.

For those who continue to act like we are fielding the same football team this year that we have had the past two, I think you are either not paying any attention or you just want to be negative.  There are a great many reasons to rationally expect us to be significantly improved. 

My prediction is a minimum of six wins, possibly eight.  How many wins we get over six depends on how quickly this team gels, coming together as a team and the q.b. play.  The only way I see us not getting six wins is if we have a melt down at the q.b. position and have to bring someone in off the bench to take the helm.

I know some will say, yeah but we have the toughest schedule in college football this year.  That's true, but we also know that every year in the SEC West is brutal and almost all of the players on this team this year will have played against that competition last year.  They know what to expect and that's who they have become battle hardened against.

So, for those of you who wanted to have reasons to be optimistic about this year, then here is a list to start with.

P.S.  Yes, I'm predicting a win over Auburn to get this season started.  Rob Smith will have their q.b. guessing what's coming for practically the entire game and this second year under Chaney will have us putting points on the board where we didn't last year.  You can reserve my Kudos for after that game though 

Did we get some transfers on offense I didn't know about. Who are these All-Americans returning on offense?
SEC!

MountieDawg

Quote from: LZH on July 13, 2014, 07:49:34 pm
Poor tackling has killed us for six years.  Bielema MUST improve that...that's why he was brought here.

The answer to the million dollar question...
SEC!

Hoggish1

All very well thought through reasons for success...  Great job!