Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why Would Anyone Expect Us To Be Better This Year?

Started by The NewEra, July 12, 2014, 09:00:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The NewEra

July 12, 2014, 09:00:00 am Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 01:26:44 pm by The NewEra
I find it amusing when people act like we are bringing out the same team we had last year as their excuse for us to have another three win season or such.  Hey, this is college football.  Every year every school fields a new team. That's what makes College Football so great.  Every year someone new shows up to show out.

Here are some of the reasons we will be vastly improved.

•   This is the first time in four seasons this team will have the same head coach.  Just think about that for a second.  No team can expect to be better if every year they bring in a new coach and have to learn a new philosophy and way of doing things on and off the field.  This is huge for these players and this program.  The fact that we haven't seen the annual perp walk for off the field violations should tell us the program is doing well behind the scene.

•   The first time the linebacking corps and offense will have had the same coach in four years.

•   On the defensive side of the ball the change in Defensive Coordinator is nothing short of a major step up.  Ash wasn't a good OC and didn't belong here.  Partridge was a loss, but Seagrest appears to be at least equal to him, possibly even better.  Time will tell.  Jennings is an incredible get for the secondary, recruiting and the team as a whole.  This guy will make a name for himself at Arkansas.

•   We will finally play aggressively on the D and not let the opposing offense dictate the entire play of the game.  Don't expect to see a prevent defense play after play with Rob Smith.  No more mental melt downs in the fourth quarter letting a freshman quarterback leisurely sit in the pocket and pick our secondary apart.  The days of average or poor quarterbacks looking like Heisman candidates against our defense are over.

•   A full season under Ben Herbert will be huge.

•   We have something around 18 Freshmen or redshirt Freshmen who received significant playing time in the SEC last year.  Several were starters.  That experience will pay major dividends.

•   Our D line will be stout with Flowers, Wise, Hodge and Philon.  Add newcomer 4 * Jackson in the mix.  It's going to be hard to keep him out of the rotation, even as a true freshman.

•   The secondary will be vastly improved with Jennings and Smith teaching these guys and the fact that they don't have to continually try and cover guys for four seconds or more. 

•   Offensively, in the second year under Chaney and Pittman we should be ready for a breakout.  There are several returning All Americans on that side of the ball.  The O-line should be one of the best in the SEC this year.  Definitely better than the middle of the pack.  Tight Ends and Running Backs are an area you have to be excited with.  AJ Derby and Duwop Mitchell could quite conceivably be players that make a name for themselves this year and no one even mentions them right now.  Cornelius and Hollister should provide some much needed production in the passing game and there are several others that are capable of stepping up and contributing in a big way.

For those who continue to act like we are fielding the same football team this year that we have had the past two, I think you are either not paying any attention or you just want to be negative.  There are a great many reasons to rationally expect us to be significantly improved. 

My prediction is a minimum of six wins, possibly eight.  How many wins we get over six depends on how quickly this team gels, coming together as a team and the q.b. play.  The only way I see us not getting six wins is if we have a melt down at the q.b. position and have to bring someone in off the bench to take the helm.

I know some will say, yeah but we have the toughest schedule in college football this year.  That's true, but we also know that every year in the SEC West is brutal and almost all of the players on this team this year will have played against that competition last year.  They know what to expect and that's who they have become battle hardened against.

So, for those of you who wanted to have reasons to be optimistic about this year, then here is a list to start with.

P.S.  Yes, I'm predicting a win over Auburn to get this season started.  Rob Smith will have their q.b. guessing what's coming for practically the entire game and this second year under Chaney will have us putting points on the board where we didn't last year.  You can reserve my Kudos for after that game though 

Dr. Starcs

The NewEra

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 12, 2014, 09:03:19 am
When was ash ever offensive coordinator?

It's called a typo, but I suspect you knew that.

Poker_hog

I expect inprovement.  There will be flashes of brilliance but we're not quite there yet.  But your right anything can happen especially if we get good qb play.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

HF#1

It's hard not to be skeptical.  Coming off 4-8 and 3-9 seasons, two of the worst in Razorback history, is tough. 

In my mind we have two key areas in which we have to be drastically better. 

Safety
Wide Receiver

If we improve those two positions, our win total will improve dramatically.  I'd say 7 or 8 wins. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

LRRandy

I didn't read the whole thing. I think you are right in your line of thinking. Bielema is a good football coach. He will have the UoA winning. Eventually. There will be progress this season. I think 5 wins with improvement shown in losses.
This is fun, isn't it.

The NewEra

Quote from: HogFan#1 on July 12, 2014, 10:00:20 am
It's hard not to be skeptical.  Coming off 4-8 and 3-9 seasons, two of the worst in Razorback history, is tough. 

Safety
Wide Receiver

If we improve those two positions, our win total will improve dramatically.  I'd say 7 or 8 wins.

I whole heartedly agree with this.

LRRandy

Quote from: HogFan#1 on July 12, 2014, 10:00:20 am

Safety
Wide Receiver

7-8 wins is a reach.
This is fun, isn't it.

HF#1

Quote from: LRRandy on July 12, 2014, 10:18:41 am
7-8 wins is a reach.

Not really.  Not when you look around the SEC and everybody is breaking in a new QB's.  If our secondary improves then that gives us an advantage.  I can see us creating a lot more turnovers this season than we have the past two season. 

Like I said, we need to catch the ball and make plays for BA.  If we do that and we are creating turnovers, 7-8 wins is definitely possible if not probable.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Deep Shoat

Quote from: HogFan#1 on July 12, 2014, 10:26:07 am
Not really.  Not when you look around the SEC and everybody is breaking in a new QB's.  If our secondary improves then that gives us an advantage.  I can see us creating a lot more turnovers this season than we have the past two season. 

Like I said, we need to catch the ball and make plays for BA.  If we do that and we are creating turnovers, 7-8 wins is definitely possible if not probable.
Bravo.  You have seen what I have seen.

New QB's at most SEC schools and a more aggressive D at Arkansas mean we will win more games than most are assuming, IF our WR's catch the ball.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Jek Tono Porkins

We will certainly be better this year. If no improvement is made I will start asking some questions. I think 6 wins is doable. Think about last year; if the ball had bounced a different way against Rutgers, miss state, and Lsu, we would have been bowling. If what we saw against LSU is where the team is a right now then we will win some games. One thing is for sure: I'm ready for the darned season to start!
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

ThatGUY

The reasons documented above by the OP are perfect examples why Arkansas will always be a stepping stone job and never a destination job.

There are football "programs" and there are football "teams" in every conference in America.... Arkansas fields good teams occasionally but has never been and if history is a precursor will never be a "program"

The NewEra

Quote from: ThatGUY on July 12, 2014, 10:48:38 am
The reasons documented above by the OP are perfect examples why Arkansas will always be a stepping stone job and never a destination job.

There are football "programs" and there are football "teams" in every conference in America.... Arkansas fields good teams occasionally but has never been and if history is a precursor will never be a "program"

That analogy makes absolutely no sense to me.  Bielema is building a "PROGRAM" and that is why we will be better this year and going forward.

Poker_hog

This is crazy talk.  We've never had a coach leave for a better program.  Almost all have been fired or more or less asked to leave.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: The NewEra on July 12, 2014, 09:09:43 am
It's called a typo, but I suspect you knew that.

You can click on "Modify and fix it if you want to.

and while you're at it change Hedlund to Hollister, I don't think a freshmen place kicker is going to provide much help at WR.

And just delete that whole comment about Partridge vs Segrest and focus on the upgrade we got with Smith over Ash.

Your argument for 7-8 wins is certainly as plausible as anyone's predicting 3-4 wins. 

Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

WashUhog6

You make a lot of very good points, especially the ones concerning stability. We have a lot of potentially good pieces on offense. But I'm still not buying in to the aggressive talk concerning our new defense. I feel like that's the sort of thing we've heard in the offseason for years now.

And it's also critical that we get at least decent QB play. We've talked about all of the QBs being replaced in the SEC this year and how that helps our defense, which is true. It's all for nothing, however, if our QB play doesn't improve--which is still a huge question mark surrounding this team.

LRRandy

Quote from: HogFan#1 on July 12, 2014, 10:26:07 am

fair enough. I'll give you possible. Probable is the reach.
This is fun, isn't it.

PygmalionEffect

Finding out that your starting QB for this upcoming season is a pothead has got you all riled up this morning hasn't it?    LOL
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

Sed76

I'm certainly hoping we can win enough games to get to a bowl but certainly won't be shocked if things end up about the same way they did last year.

oldbooniehog

Because if the secondary had had just a few players capable of starting at any other SEC team last year, Arkansas would have won at least two or maybe three more games?

If you take last years same exact team, and just put three good, experienced players at safety and cornerback, Arkansas beats Rutgers, probably beats Ole Miss, probably beats Mississippi State and for-sure beats LSU in death valley.

hogs5204

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Augustus

Stepping stone to what, exactly?

Our current Coach didn't exactly come from a mid-major. He was specific about why he came here. And... I'm fairly certain his (or any other Coach's) contract would forbid him to leave for any other SEC team?

So, his choices would be: USC, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Texas, Oregon, NFL?

I seem to remember there was a lot of "Saban to Texas" talk this past year... by your rationale Alabama isn't a "program" or a "destination job" either.  Carroll, Kelly left what I would consider "destination jobs" to go to the NFL.  What does that say about USC and Oregon?

Arkansas may not be perceived nationally as a "destination job," but for the Coach who signs a contract with UA, it is.

Augustus

Quote from: The NewEra on July 12, 2014, 09:00:00 am

•   A full season under Ben Herbert will be huge.

NewEra -  I'm glad you called Herbert out.  I really like having this guy here.  His energy, his approach. The difference in some of our players last year was obvious, only after a few short months.  I look forward to see how our players have developed with another year under him.

The NewEra

Quote from: Augustus on July 12, 2014, 12:46:45 pm
NewEra -  I'm glad you called Herbert out.  I really like having this guy here.  His energy, his approach. The difference in some of our players last year was obvious, only after a few short months.  I look forward to see how our players have developed with another year under him.

Thanks!  I think Herbert is a special component to our future success and the stability of the players in this program.  It's been said a lot, but I'll repeat it for those who haven't heard.  Herb spends more time with the players than any other coach on the staff.

If you missed Bo Mattingly's show yesterday, here is a link to his interview with Herbert.  This guy is grounded and it's rubbing off on the players.  I think he's one of the reasons we haven't seen a lot of crazy stuff in the off season that we've experienced in the past. 

http://www.sportstalkwithbo.com/site/content/view/3053/34/

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Quote from: The NewEra on July 12, 2014, 01:32:54 pm
Thanks!  I think Herbert is a special component to our future success and the stability of the players in this program.  It's been said a lot, but I'll repeat it for those who haven't heard.  Herb spends more time with the players than any other coach on the staff.

If you missed Bo Mattingly's show yesterday, here is a link to his interview with Herbert.  This guy is grounded and it's rubbing off on the players.  I think he's one of the reasons we haven't seen a lot of crazy stuff in the off season that we've experienced in the past. 

Thanks for the link!

The NewEra

Augustus

Quote from: The NewEra on July 12, 2014, 01:32:54 pm

I stopped listening to Bo a while back LOL, but awesome link! GAWD is it football season yet?!?!

Al Boarland

I agree with some of your points, but you can apply those to other teams we play. They have coaching stability too.

How you come to the conclusion we will beat the reigning SEC champs, but only have us winning 6-8 games is beyond me. They will be the best team in the West this season. If you are confident we win that game we should win the SEC.

Oklahawg

Great OP and a mature thread.

I believe the biggest issue facing UA football is not physical but emotional. They have been beaten down. They came to expect chaos within the program. They came to expect a close game to be a loss. Once UA beats someone they aren't supposed to, especially if they win it late or hold off a late effort to preserve a win, they will improve dramatically. How far we've fallen physically is hard to say until you repair the emotional side of things.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

redeye

Completely agree.

I'm amazed that anyone would think we're fielding the same team.  These people must be sadomasochists.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on July 12, 2014, 11:09:02 am
You can click on "Modify and fix it if you want to.

and while you're at it change Hedlund to Hollister, I don't think a freshmen place kicker is going to provide much help at WR.

And just delete that whole comment about Partridge vs Segrest and focus on the upgrade we got with Smith over Ash.

Your argument for 7-8 wins is certainly as plausible as anyone's predicting 3-4 wins. 

And get me some pictures of Spiderman..!

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

jkstock04

Quote from: WashUhog6 on July 12, 2014, 11:18:57 am
You make a lot of very good points, especially the ones concerning stability. We have a lot of potentially good pieces on offense. But I'm still not buying in to the aggressive talk concerning our new defense. I feel like that's the sort of thing we've heard in the offseason for years now.

Coming from the coaches we would hear the opposite. I honestly believe we are gonna see something different with Smith. If we are going to be better in my opinion it's gonna be largely in part because of our defense bailing out the offense.

Yes, every year the homers on here say the defense is going to be leaps and bounds better...but honestly this year I think we have a coach that at least half way understands what the hell is going on with our talent level (lack of) and the conference we play in.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

The NewEra

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 12, 2014, 01:56:28 pm

I believe the biggest issue facing UA football is not physical but emotional. They have been beaten down. They came to expect chaos within the program. They came to expect a close game to be a loss. Once UA beats someone they aren't supposed to, especially if they win it late or hold off a late effort to preserve a win, they will improve dramatically. How far we've fallen physically is hard to say until you repair the emotional side of things.

I totally agree with you on the need to get over the emotional hurdle. If it comes early in the season then we should be just fine. I think we have the talent. They just need to expect to win and execute that way.

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Totally agree, and this is why the Texas Tech game is so important.  If we start 2-1 with a close loss to Auburn, Arkansas just might get on a roll!  Buy a ticket to the game in Lubbock, I will be there supporting the Hogs!

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

WashUhog6

Quote from: jkstock04 on July 12, 2014, 02:13:12 pm
Coming from the coaches we would hear the opposite. I honestly believe we are gonna see something different with Smith. If we are going to be better in my opinion it's gonna be largely in part because of our defense bailing out the offense.

Yes, every year the homers on here say the defense is going to be leaps and bounds better...but honestly this year I think we have a coach that at least half way understands what the hell is going on with our talent level (lack of) and the conference we play in.
I agree that improved defensive play--preferably with QB play significantly better than last year--is our key to having a successful season.

I'm still not going to count on this "attacking" defense that everyone keeps talking about. I won't get burned by that talk again until it actually shows itself on the field. It's not that I feel negatively about Smith, I just don't have confidence in him either--I'm neutral on what he brings to the table, waiting until I see his defense over multiple games before it earns my trust.

I sincerely hope that our defense earns its way to the aggressive description it has received in the offseason, and proves that it, for once, was more than just offseason rhetoric.

alohawg

You bring up a very good point, the mental game game within the game is always important and not just in football. What's that old saying- 'those that believe they will fail and those that believe they will succeed are both right' or something along those lines.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Al Boarland

Can we put to bed that aggressiveness equates to success?  That's not necessarily the case. When you are aggressive you leave yourself open to get burned. It takes talent and execution. Just because you run press coverage or send more guys after the QB doesn't mean you are going to win. If anything it's high risk. With our offense allowing another team to score a bunch of points is not a good thing. We can't win shoot outs.

LZH

Because apparently LeBron is coming to Arkansas.

GolfnHog

I certainly feel we are improved but for all those that say that the other schools that are breaking in a new QB is good for the Hogs, I'll just remind you of a kid named Manziel that proved that thinking is a bit premature. I realize JM was a once in a lifetime type QB but I'm gonna temper my expectations in the area until I see how improved our D is.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

jkstock04

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 12, 2014, 04:41:06 pm
Can we put to bed that aggressiveness equates to success?  That's not necessarily the case. When you are aggressive you leave yourself open to get burned. It takes talent and execution. Just because you run press coverage or send more guys after the QB doesn't mean you are going to win. If anything it's high risk. With our offense allowing another team to score a bunch of points is not a good thing. We can't win shoot outs.
I'll take it over what we have seen the last couple of years. We don't have the caliber of athletes to just sit back there and let the other teams make the mistakes on their own.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ricepig

Quote from: jkstock04 on July 12, 2014, 07:02:52 pm
I'll take it over what we have seen the last couple of years. We don't have the caliber of athletes to just sit back there and let the other teams make the mistakes on their own.

Yep, especially on 3rd and 5, and give them a 10yd cushion, hoping they throw was off or they'd drop it.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on July 12, 2014, 07:24:17 pm
Yep, especially on 3rd and 5, and give them a 10yd cushion, hoping they throw was off or they'd drop it.
I just want to see them in the picture at the snap.

SemperFi

Coaching stability infused with upgrades by adding Segrest, Smith and Jennings should pay dividends. I do believe that the OL will be what drives this offense to success. I expect by season's end they will be one of the top OL's in the SEC. Replacing Swanson at Center is the biggest hurdle Coach Bielema and Coach Pittman will have with this unit, but the good news is that we have several capable candidates that should prove more than adequate.

I have no concerns about RB and TE and believe that we will finally have a competent passing game with the addition of Hollister, Robinson, Edwards, Cornelius and Floyd. Hopeful that BA will remain healthy and will have the kind of season that allows him to grow in both confidence and ability.

My biggest area of concern is the defense. The DL will be solid and we should be better at LB and in the secondary, but depth will be an issue everywhere but on the DL. Going to have to rely on the incoming freshmen to bolster the two-deep.

The OP is absolutely correct in that this will be an entirely new team and will not resemble the team that we saw in 2013. I'm expecting the Hogs to be successful in 2014 with anywhere from 6 to 8 wins very likely. They were so close in a handful of games last year that I think they'll be good enough to overcome mistakes and win those type of games this year. I'm very optimistic and excited about the upcoming season as I truly believe that Coach B will get it turned around and we'll be competing for an SECC in the near future. WPS!
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Cure

They'll be better, the record probably won't be though.

Absolutely killer schedule.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: The NewEra on July 12, 2014, 10:02:42 am
I whole heartedly agree with this.

I would say CB as we kept getting burned last year on the edges and not playing the ball.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

nchogg

I know we will be better. Coach knows his players this year. I have read so many post that fans say we will not win any sec games and that also goes for the talking heads. No one can predict how any team will do in the SEC. After Alabama won a NC  they faltered the next season. The SEC is tough and as in the past any SEC team can beat another SEC team on any given Saturday. We have all seen it. Bad calls can change a game, injuries and the ball just going the other teams way. I can also remember how our defensive leaders said a couple of years ago how they were going to be tough and get it done. There were some good plays. I do like the coaches we have on hand. I think the players attidudes will be much better. As coach "B" said the players had to adapt to his way just like the players had to adapt to coach "P" way. We are on the right track. And we will have a better season I just won't put a number on it. Go Hogs!

Rocky Mountain Living

NewEra,

Great post.

Couple highlights....If CBB says Derby compares to former player Iowa great Dallas Clark?

Derby opposite of Henry is going to be lethal.   Way too early predictions:  Derby gets drafted in the 5th Round or higher next year.

Bijohn is going to be 1st team Freshman DT in the SEC/CFB next year. 

The big jump from year 1 to year 2 with Strength Coach Herbert is going to stand out in the 4th quarter next year (especially at home).

Hogs beat Ole Piss on Senior day.  Hogs beat Missery on the road.  Hogs take 2 of 4 from either Gig Em, Mistake, UGAhh, or LSwho.  Hogs win 8 and finish 4-4 in the SEC

The NewEra

Quote from: Rocky Mountain Living on July 13, 2014, 11:03:22 am
NewEra,

Great post.

Couple highlights....If CBB says Derby compares to former player Iowa great Dallas Clark?

Derby opposite of Henry is going to be lethal.   Way too early predictions:  Derby gets drafted in the 5th Round or higher next year.

Bijohn is going to be 1st team Freshman DT in the SEC/CFB next year. 

The big jump from year 1 to year 2 with Strength Coach Herbert is going to stand out in the 4th quarter next year (especially at home).

Hogs beat Ole Piss on Senior day.  Hogs beat Missery on the road.  Hogs take 2 of 4 from either Gig Em, Mistake, UGAhh, or LSwho.  Hogs win 8 and finish 4-4 in the SEC

I like it!!