Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auburn QB Marshall cited for possession of marijuana.

Started by hooks85, July 11, 2014, 05:48:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PonderinHog

Quote from: SamBuckhart on July 11, 2014, 11:17:54 pm
Article said he is the front runner for the Heisman trophy. I don't think so.
Hey, it ain't like he stole a laptop or a lobster or something.  ::)

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on July 11, 2014, 11:09:04 pm

When someone is dismissed from a team for unspecified team violations most of the time it has to do with drug test.

Where was Nick before?  Why was he dismissed from there? Seems like there might be a problem here.

No problem here.  Nick was just conducting a little off season..."drug test" of his own....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: mizzouman on July 11, 2014, 08:58:17 pm

Isn't Marshall under a no tolerance policy?

Well, if he was.......he is now on... "Double Secret Probation".....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on July 11, 2014, 11:09:04 pm
When someone is dismissed from a team for unspecified team violations most of the time it has to do with drug test.

Where was Nick before?  Why was he dismissed from there?  Seems like there might be a problem here.
There's a certain well known ex Razorback who never failed a drug test. A couple of his teammates have told me that whenever his name appeared on the testing list the test would mysteriously be cancelled for various reasons. They also say he was a pot smoking fool.

His coach is no longer at Arkansas.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 12, 2014, 06:49:00 am
There's a certain well known ex Razorback who never failed a drug test. A couple of his teammates have told me that whenever his name appeared on the testing list the test would mysteriously be cancelled for various reasons. They also say he was a pot smoking fool.

you big tease!

PP

lahawg1

I know I'm going to get hammered on this one but these guys are going to school on YOUR tax money, YOUR ticket money, or YOUR school contribution. The law says it's an ILLEGAL substance.

I think there should be a no tolerance policy adopted by the NCAA regarding weed, PED's, and other illegal substances. If you (as a student athlete) are caught with a drug, fail a drug test, or are convicted of a crime you should get no second chances.

If a man knows the consequences before be enters into a contract (scholarship) then it should be clear as to what happens when caught. If I fail a drug test at work, I am terminated, no questions asked.

It is THEIR choice and they are DELIBERATELY choosing to use illegal drugs because they know nothing will be done and that is one of our problems in society. 

lefty08

Quote from: LRRandy on July 11, 2014, 10:58:23 pm
thats what was said about the Buckeyes and the Sugar bowl.

And im still glad they played
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

nextlevel

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 12, 2014, 06:49:00 am

This isn't a question of if a player was tested or not, a school's drug testing policy, etc.

This is Auburn's second player to face misdemeanor charges for Marijuana possession in less than a month.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Fatty McGee

Quote from: nextlevel on July 12, 2014, 08:02:58 am
This isn't a question of if a player was tested or not, a school's drug testing policy, etc.

This is Auburn's second player to face misdemeanor charges for Marijuana possession in less than a month.

You take 85 college students at random and give them drug tests, you'll probably find more than 2 using marijuana.

And possession of alcohol by a minor is illegal too, also a misdemeanor, and I bet if you checked 85 college students under 21 at random you'd find far  more than 2 with beers in their fridge.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

BPsTheMan

yeah, but that sheds light on Gus and his harem's situational "ethics" so we're not supposed to talk about that.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Fatty McGee on July 12, 2014, 08:15:09 am
You take 85 college students at random and give them drug tests, you'll probably find more than 2 using marijuana.

And possession of alcohol by a minor is illegal too, also a misdemeanor, and I bet if you checked 85 college students under 21 at random you'd find far  more than 2 with beers in their fridge.

Cam Newton and Mike Slive agree with you

lefty08

Quote from: Fatty McGee on July 12, 2014, 08:15:09 am

The difference is alcohol isnt an illegal substance. Whether u agree that it isnt or not, it doesnt change the story. Its different
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

Mike Irwin

July 12, 2014, 08:24:25 am #62 Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 08:37:27 am by Mike Irwin

Are you kidding ? Of course it's a question of drug testing and a school's testing policies. If a school makes a real effort to test its players and discipline them when they fail tests stuff like this does not happen.

Nick Marshall (or whoever) is busted out before he gets caught by the cops and ends up with with a citation or jailed.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Tripod1

I'm amazed that b/c it is a AU player he should be suspended or jokes are being made about Gus in the helping business.  If my memory serves me well (and it may not) when it has been a Hog player busted for weed or drinking the "let them be college kids" defenders come out on here.  Now, being a old guy I think anything by law that is illegal and a player, Hog or foe that breaks that law should not be allowed to represent his school on the field. It should be an honor and privilege to wear that uniform.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: lefty08 on July 12, 2014, 08:23:05 am
The difference is alcohol isnt an illegal substance. Whether u agree that it isnt or not, it doesnt change the story. Its different

It is if you are under 21.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

lefty08

nextlevel

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 12, 2014, 08:24:25 am
Are you kidding ? Of course it's a question of drug testing and a school's testing policies. If a school makes a real effort to test its players and discipline them when they fail tests stuff like this does not happen.

Nick Marshall (or whoever) is busted out before he gets caught by the cops and ends up with with a citation or jailed.

Auburn's policy, according to their fans, has a disciplinary protocol that dictates first failed test to be handled in house, it isn't until the 2nd (Auburn believes everyone deserves a 2nd chance, amirite?) that a possibility of a suspension takes place.

Being a member of the media, you may be able to do an investigative report on the SEC and be able to FOI the information of failed drug tests within the programs during the last year, not in terms of names as that would would likely not be releasable information, but in the number of tests given and tests failed though out a year.

Or you may not be able to gather this information, I'm not sure. I saw where Bama's plane records leading to NSD this year was FOId and released and it was interesting to see where all the coaches where going on the last recruiting push.

Nick Marshall is suppose to be the face of Auburn's team next season, he is a Heisman Candidate and a senior leader of the team, he would not be the one your program would want to get busted for pot, especially when you recently kicked a non-contributor off the team for your "zero tolerance drug policy".

As it stands, Auburn will be represented in the SEC media days by a player kicked off one team for theft, recently charged with possession, and another who thought it was acceptable to use racial slurs (Dismukes). That is the exact opposite character of what Auburn tries to portray themselves and their program to be made up of, that is not the type of character I would want Arkansas represented by...
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 12, 2014, 08:28:41 am
old barn is well known for their bagmen..................................

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: lahawg1 on July 12, 2014, 07:41:01 am
I know I'm going to get hammered on this one but these guys are going to school on YOUR tax money, YOUR ticket money, or YOUR school contribution. The law says it's an ILLEGAL substance.

I think there should be a no tolerance policy adopted by the NCAA regarding weed, PED's, and other illegal substances. If you (as a student athlete) are caught with a drug, fail a drug test, or are convicted of a crime you should get no second chances.

If a man knows the consequences before be enters into a contract (scholarship) then it should be clear as to what happens when caught. If I fail a drug test at work, I am terminated, no questions asked.

It is THEIR choice and they are DELIBERATELY choosing to use illegal drugs because they know nothing will be done and that is one of our problems in society.

I get where you're coming from, but pot is more stereotypical than judicial nowadays. Honestly, if a player lost their scholly for pot, a student on academic scholly should lose theirs for a DWI or some other misdemeanor.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

lefty08

Quote from: Hawg_Thai'd on July 12, 2014, 09:09:44 am
I get where you're coming from, but pot is more stereotypical than judicial nowadays. Honestly, if a player lost their scholly for pot, a student on academic scholly should lose theirs for a DWI or some other misdemeanor.

Do they not? Im pretty sure academic standards are more strict than athletic, and its not even close

nextlevel

Quote from: Hawg_Thai'd on July 12, 2014, 09:09:44 am

A student on an academic scholly or receiving federal financial aid would forfeit all aid if they were cited and convicted with the same charge Nick Marshall received yesterday.

This is a pending drug conviction, not a DWI (Alcohol), you may view them as equal, but the policies in place for academic only students does not.

ell oh ell

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: lefty08 on July 12, 2014, 09:10:49 am
Do they not? Im pretty sure academic standards are more strict than athletic, and its not even close

Not sure. I just think it should be equal on all parts-scholastically and athletically.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: nextlevel on July 12, 2014, 08:57:12 am
Auburn's policy, according to their fans, has a disciplinary protocol that dictates first failed test to be handled in house, it isn't until the 2nd (Auburn believes everyone deserves a 2nd chance, amirite?) that a possibility of a suspension takes place.

Being a member of the media, you may be able to do an investigative report on the SEC and be able to FOI the information of failed drug tests within the programs during the last year, not in terms of names as that would would likely not be releasable information, but in the number of tests given and tests failed though out a year.

Or you may not be able to gather this information, I'm not sure. I saw where Bama's plane records leading to NSD this year was FOId and released and it was interesting to see where all the coaches where going on the last recruiting push.

Nick Marshall is suppose to be the face of Auburn's team next season, he is a Heisman Candidate and a senior leader of the team, he would not be the one your program would want to get busted for pot, especially when you recently kicked a non-contributor off the team for your "zero tolerance drug policy".

As it stands, Auburn will be represented in the SEC media days by a player kicked off one team for theft, recently charged with possession, and another who thought it was acceptable to use racial slurs (Dismukes). That is the exact opposite character of what Auburn tries to portray themselves and their program to be made up of, that is not the type of character I would want Arkansas represented by...

it's Gene Chizik's fault

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: King TUSKankahamun on July 11, 2014, 08:58:46 pm
Nothing will come of it. auburn doesn't care, he's starting QB he might not start for AR but he will only miss a few plays
Knowing "St. Gus" there's no way he WON'T start against the Hogs.

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: nextlevel on July 12, 2014, 09:14:56 am
A student on an academic scholly or receiving federal financial aid would forfeit all aid if they were cited and convicted with the same charge Nick Marshall received yesterday.

This is a pending drug conviction, not a DWI (Alcohol), you may view them as equal, but the policies in place for academic only students does not.

If the policies set in place specifically call out drugs and not just misdomeanors, then so be it. I am not trying to justify anything, just that it would seem that a lot of students that get Pell grants and such may not appear on the radar as a top football player would.

LZH

Quote from: Tripod1 on July 12, 2014, 08:28:45 am
I'm amazed that b/c it is a AU player he should be suspended or jokes are being made about Gus in the helping business.  If my memory serves me well (and it may not) when it has been a Hog player busted for weed or drinking the "let them be college kids" defenders come out on here.

No, your memory is fine.  Just like Gus is a @#$% and we're soooo glad he's not at Arkansas....unless he was hired here then he was actually the savior all along.

A similar thing will happen if/when BB gets fired one day - he'll immediately become the villian and our new coach will miraculously become the guy that's REALLY gonna get us to the top of the SEC this time.

nextlevel

Quote from: Hawg_Thai'd on July 12, 2014, 09:20:16 am
If the policies set in place specifically call out drugs and not just misdomeanors, then so be it. I am not trying to justify anything, just that it would seem that a lot of students that get Pell grants and such may not appear on the radar as a top football player would.

Pell grants have a statement you sign saying that you forfeit the grant, could possibly owe repayment of the amount awarded, and are ineligible for assistants for 2 years (IIRC) for a drug conviction.

Scholarships awarded through the school vary from school to school, some can include alcohol related convictions.

ell oh ell

SemperFi

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on July 11, 2014, 09:03:44 pm
Gus will likely sit him on 4th downs.

" GO HOGS "

LOL! Glad that I wasn't drinking my coffee when I read your post.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

ricepig

Quote from: SemperFi on July 12, 2014, 09:26:01 am
LOL! Glad that I wasn't drinking my coffee when I read your post.

Well, don't back ole St. Gus into a corner, he might need to go for it on 4th down.

Poker_hog

Don't see this as a big deal.  Pot is legal in 2 states now.  I would guess 25% of college football players have smoked weed within the last year.  It is what it is.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

nextlevel

Quote from: Poker_hog on July 12, 2014, 09:39:33 am
Don't see this as a big deal.  Pot is legal in 2 states now.  I would guess 25% of college football players have smoked weed within the last year.  It is what it is.

Alabama and Georgia are not those 2 states.

It is not legal on a federal level.

It is still on the banned substance list of the NCAA.

ell oh ell

lefty08

Quote from: Poker_hog on July 12, 2014, 09:39:33 am

Its only legally recognized by state governments. Its still illegal federally even in those 2 states, but im guessing u know this

Poker_hog

Quote from: lefty08 on July 12, 2014, 09:50:18 am
Its only legally recognized by state governments. Its still illegal federally even in those 2 states, but im guessing u know this

I know this but the current president has no intention of enforcing that law.  I'm guessing u know this.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

PonderinHog

Lock 'em up and throw away the key, starting with Rush Limbaugh.

nextlevel

Obviously this data is a little inaccurate as its a couple weeks old (which is a problem upon itself that it would need updated weekly), but interesting none the less.

ell oh ell

Hogarusa

Players don't get suspended for being issued citations. 
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

GuvHog

Quote from: Poker_hog on July 12, 2014, 10:11:15 am
I know this but the current president has no intention of enforcing that law.  I'm guessing u know this.

True, but eventually the Federal Courts will get involved and they'll throw out the state laws legalizing pot because they violate Federal law.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

PonderinHog

Quote from: GuvHog on July 12, 2014, 10:49:23 am
True, but eventually the Federal Courts will get involved and they'll throw out the state laws legalizing pot because they violate Federal law.
No, Guv, eventually you'll get something right.  Eventually.

moses_007

nextlevel

Quote from: lowberh on July 12, 2014, 10:45:31 am
Players don't get suspended for being issued citations. 

Players normally get suspended for misdemeanor chargers, with Marshall is facing for possession.

At OU, Big Game Bob has been known for pushing these suspensions past the tough games and saving them for the cupcakes.

ell oh ell

GuvHog

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 12, 2014, 10:51:01 am
No, Guv, eventually you'll get something right.  Eventually.

Say what you want but someone will eventually file a lawsuit in Federal court claiming a state's legalizing of Marijuana is a violation of Federal law.

nextlevel

Quote from: GuvHog on July 12, 2014, 11:08:11 am
Say what you want but someone will eventually file a lawsuit in Federal court claiming a state's legalizing of Marijuana is a violation of Federal law.

And it will be struck down citing the constitution of the US in the brief.

ell oh ell

GuvHog

Quote from: nextlevel on July 12, 2014, 11:11:12 am
And it will be struck down citing the constitution of the US in the brief.

The Federal law will be struck down???

nextlevel

ell oh ell

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: GuvHog on July 12, 2014, 11:08:11 am

I don't know about that, but if it did, that would only hasten the law being changed at the federal level.  The current movement in the country seems to be towards pushing big brother off our backs and letting us see if we've evolved enough to handle a little bit more freedom.  You don't know till you try.  You can always change it back.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

East Clintwood

Quote from: razorjack12 on July 11, 2014, 09:32:35 pm
He needs to be suspended the first game.
No, the ridiculous laws against marijuana need to be changed.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Sivad

Too bad Gus's latest dismissal from another team star didn't have the same cop Dyer had to help Gus cover it up.

BPsTheMan

the Twitter-happy pro-Gus Arkansas media is still being really quiet on this topic

Porked Tongue

While it is a slow time for sports media and many are on sabbatical, their collective quite is noted.