Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas' LeBron?

Started by PurpleBullHog, July 11, 2014, 05:12:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PurpleBullHog

Who's our LeBron?  The hometown guy who left and it hurt your sense of state pride?  Transfer, recruit, or coach.  We can even open it up to sports other than football. 

Potential recent folks to think about: 

Archie Goodwin (LR to Kentucky basketball.  Chants of "you are selfish" from the student section when he came to Bud Walton.)
Altee Tenpenny (LR RB recruit that bailed for Bama)
Gus
DGB, (Southern Missouri kid, keep in mind hindsight is 20/20)

HUNGLOWHOG

Dr. Starcs

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: HUNGLOWHOG on July 11, 2014, 05:14:59 pm
Keith Jackson
This.  Gus was never given the opportunity to be our coach.  (and I don't want him and am not apologizing for him in anyway)

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 11, 2014, 05:22:52 pm
No it doesn't.

For you, maybe not.  For the good Dr., maybe so!  :)

For me, there's several that went to Aubbie, Bama, Tenner, and OU that should never have left the borders!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 11, 2014, 05:15:26 pm
Have to be Gus
He was only offered one job at Arkansas and Houston Nutt demoted him after a 10-4 season (from 4-8 the year before). How is that a rejection of Arkansas?

Bubba's Bruisers

Gus is the only one that's had any resemblance of potential stardom.

And what's Goodwin doing these days?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

PurpleBullHog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 11, 2014, 05:53:25 pm

Averaged about ten minutes and four points with the Suns last season. 

popcornhog

WPS

pigroots

No doubt it was Keith Jackson

hawgbawb

Bear Bryant, Jimmy Johnson
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

Tequilin' Time

Mike Irwin

Quote from: hawgbawb on July 11, 2014, 06:11:29 pm
Bear Bryant, Jimmy Johnson
Same thing with Jimmy Johnson. He never got offered the head coaching job here. Can't see that as a rejection.

snoblind

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 11, 2014, 05:53:25 pm

Keith Jackson was an all-American at Oklahoma. Couple of the running backs went to Tennessee or Memphis and did pretty well.  Cedric Houston?  Can't believe I can't remember the names, it hasn't been that long.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 11, 2014, 05:53:04 pm
He was only offered one job at Arkansas and Houston Nutt demoted him after a 10-4 season (from 4-8 the year before). How is that a rejection of Arkansas?

I believe the op asked who is the hometown guy who left and it hurt your pride. Is this factually incorrect?  Didnt mention anything about rejecting arkansas. Sheesh.

tophawg19

Deanglo williams ? another i wonder what might have been was Derrick Johnson . went to texas i believe
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

snoblind

Quote from: tophawg19 on July 11, 2014, 06:24:37 pm
Deanglo williams ? another i wonder what might have been was Derrick Johnson . went to texas i believe

Yes. That is one of the ones I was thinking of.  Think one is still in the pros or was within the past couple of years.

onebadrubi

I can read this two ways, we talking razorbacks ( as I assume because hog board) or just state of Arkansas that really didn't do us a state representing very well? 

Keith Jackson in my opinion fits the comparison best.  Guy left did a great job at OK, made millions in te Pros, then came back to where his heart was to be a color radio guy for football at his program... Any question where his heart is?  Where did his son go?  He went where he felt was best for him, I still can't knock a guy for doing that. 

SamBuckhart

Quote from: HUNGLOWHOG on July 11, 2014, 05:14:59 pm
Keith Jackson
I like Keith, but he is the first one that came to mind.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

WizardofhOgZ

What about Danny Bradley?  That was a big loss too.  We could have used him in Hatfield's flexbone; instead, he went to OU.

BPsTheMan

gsbordelonUA

Could be Malik Monk in a couple of years.

bulldog04

HDN. He left and came back and won championships here

(notOM)Rebel123

LR Parkview's "Dead-eye" Dexter Reed. Chose Memphis State over the UofA. Would have been a Senior in 1976-77, when Moncrief was a Soph, and Delph & Brewer were Jr's. No telling what that team could have done with Reed in the line-up.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 11, 2014, 06:17:13 pm
I believe the op asked who is the hometown guy who left and it hurt your pride. Is this factually incorrect?  Didnt mention anything about rejecting arkansas. Sheesh.
How would it hurt your pride if the person leaving had no choice? Implied in getting your pride hurt is that person picking another school over Arkansas. Sheesh.

snoblind

Quote from: LobsterDog on July 11, 2014, 07:47:01 pm
Brooks Robinson

I've never thought I'd say this, but go back to the freakin dog.  Seeing that in your tavern post was one time too many.

LZH

A couple of guys about my age went to Miami back in their heyday.

I've never had any problem with saying "so long" when a kid leaves the state to play somewhere else.  And if it doesn't work out and in five years you need a real job - stay there and find one.

snoblind

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 11, 2014, 08:01:50 pm
LR Parkview's "Dead-eye" Dexter Reed. Chose Memphis State over the UofA. Would have been a Senior in 1976-77, when Moncrief was a Soph, and Delph & Brewer were Jr's. No telling what that team could have done with Reed in the line-up.

No freaking kidding.  Best high school game I remember seeing was Parkview a and Northside when Reed was a senior and Brewer was a junior.  There was a sequence in the 2nd half when the 2 traded baskets during multiple trips down the floor.  As I remember NHS won, so I give the battle to Boot when I tell the story, but even as a 8th grader I knew I was watching as good as it gets.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: snoblind on July 11, 2014, 08:30:28 pm
No freaking kidding.  Best high school game I remember seeing was Parkview a and Northside when Reed was a senior and Brewer was a junior.  There was a sequence in the 2nd half when the 2 traded baskets during multiple trips down the floor.  As I remember NHS won, so I give the battle to Boot when I tell the story, but even as a 8th grader I knew I was watching as good as it gets.

Dexter Reed was phenomenal. But Memphis was coming off a NCAA Finals appearance against UCLA and Eddie was just getting started at Arkansas. Heck, Lanny may have still been the coach when Reed was coming out of Parkview. But the dude could play.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: snoblind on July 11, 2014, 08:20:26 pm
I've never thought I'd say this, but go back to the freakin dog.  Seeing that in your tavern post was one time too many.

ain't Boarffett beautiful

:D

PonderinHog

Ryan Mallett?  He came back home, where his heart always was, and put us back on the map.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 11, 2014, 09:02:13 pm
Ryan Mallett?  He came back home, where his heart always was, and put us back on the map.

Texas High?   ;)
http://247sports.com/Player/Ryan-Mallett-24441?Institution=21705

pigture perfect

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 11, 2014, 08:19:02 pm
How would it hurt your pride if the person leaving had no choice?
That is the big question. Did he have a choice? I tend to believe you always have a choice.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Dr. Starcs

Not only that, but everyone probably has a different definition of pride.

When I saw Gus leave/forced out/or whatever the situation was, end up at auburn winning a title, playing for another, and beating arkansas along the ways, it hurt my pride as it did thousands of others in this state i'd assume.

To belittle my/our feelings and beliefs is a little....well prideful IMO. 

SPAL

It's Keith Jackson and it's not debatable.

pigture perfect

And yeah, I agree Keith Jackson and Eric? from Pine Bluff who both went to Oklahoma.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

tusksincolorado

Keith Lee/West Memphis/Tiger High
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

GlassofSwine

Quote from: pigture perfect on July 11, 2014, 09:16:14 pm
That is the big question. Did he have a choice? I tend to believe you always have a choice.

You don't have a choice when you weren't considered or offered a position to make a decision about.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 11, 2014, 09:27:37 pm
Not only that, but everyone probably has a different definition of pride.

Then everyone making up a definition not listed below would be wrong in their defintion. In this case only 3 or 4 of them possibly fit.

pride (praɪd)

n., v. prid•ed, prid•ing. n.
1. the state or quality of being proud; self-respect.
2. a feeling of gratification arising from association with something good or laudable: civic pride.
3. a high or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority; conceit; arrogance.
4. conduct, bearing, etc., displaying such an opinion.
5. something that causes one to be proud: Her paintings were the pride of the family.
6. the best of a group, class, etc.: This bull is the pride of the herd.
7. a group of lions.
8. the most flourishing state or period; prime.
9. mettle in a horse.
10. splendor, magnificence, or pomp.

Dr. Starcs

I agree. I also see nothing in there about picking one school over another.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

3-Way Tie between Oklahawg, WindyCityHog and ImHogginIt
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

rzrbackramsfan

Kevaughn Allen can still redeem himself, but hes my choice right now.

snoot hoggy hog

tophawg19

Cortez Kennedy , Willie Roaf
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

rusvegashog

July 12, 2014, 12:28:27 am #45 Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 01:00:01 am by rusvegashog
Lebron never owed Ohio anything, they should apolagize to him for their fickeness and things they did and said about him after he left. now hes coming home and there gonna welcome him back w open arms of course they are, duh hes the greatest player on the planet. Ive never been one to be upset or put off by a player going elsewhere, truly it's their life. I was all in on Malzah as our coach, but knew it would never happen and I think it sucked when Damian Williams transferred out to USC, but I got it. I remember being pretty dissapointed as a kid that I wouldn't get to see Basil Shabazz play for the Razorbacks and I was in shock or whatever it was when the whole Nolan thing happened  and I realized Mike Anderson wouldn't be  his successor.

rusvegashog

Quote from: tophawg19 on July 11, 2014, 11:27:03 pm
Cortez Kennedy , Willie Roaf
That's two pretty good ones right there. Roaf's the man (KC fan) and if I once knew I had forgotten that Kennedy was from Arkansas.

redeye

I've thought about this question before and don't think we have one.  All the players/coaches mentioned were either never given a chance at Arkansas or never accepted one.  The players we've had have been quite loyal.

redeye

Quote from: rusvegashog on July 12, 2014, 12:46:51 am
That's two pretty good ones right there. Roaf's the man (KC fan) and if I once knew I had forgotten that Kennedy was from Arkansas.

Yea, but Roaf never received a chance.  I forget the story with Kennedy, but not sure if he did, either.

Hog are ya

Keith Lee and Keith Jackson are the first ones that jump out to me.  And I know he moved back and has done a lot for Little Rock, but I personally don't feel Keith Jackson deserves to be the color analyst for the hogs.

Side note on Keith Lee, (maybe some of you other old heads can elaborate), seems like Arkansas State was a player and Broyles used all his power to nix it?  He was quoted to say "If we can't have him, little brother damn sure isn't going to get him".