Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I hope all the IN state recruits will read what Lebron said about NE Ohio

Started by forrest city joe, July 11, 2014, 12:16:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gmarv

i think saying lebron went home for love of home alone is a little foolish,
its not like hes gonna be a pauper in cleveland and a rich guy in miami.
his standard of living ain,t gonna suffer, so why not go home?

just one thing on these kids leaving arkansas to go play else where some of
them didn,t grow up here. i can kindof understand them,but the ones who are arkansas born and raised here and want to leave there the ones i can,t relate to.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: hogwild210 on July 14, 2014, 11:15:21 am
He still played. As a true freshman. Look at what was ahead of him...that's saying something. You can still easily make the point that Arkansas kids should stay home without having to try to stretch the Tenpenny angle. It's just not a strong argument.

Statistically he sat on the bench 95% of the time and didn't play in any meaningful games. He is buried on the depth chart behind a bunch of other sophomores and juniors. That is what a benchwarmer does, it doesn't mean you don't ever play. So basically, the No. 1 or 2 recruit in the state sits on the bench 95% of the time.
  . Here is a view from Alabama writer on Altee...

QuoteAltee Tenpenny, although extremely talented, may not see the field much unless he's able to completely separate himself from the rest of the pack in terms of production during the spring. Tenpenny is a great athlete with good speed, quickness, and sure hands, but that's how every back is on this team. The sophomore out of North Little Rock, Arkansas was one of the top running backs in the 2013 recruiting class, and he hopes to get a lot more playing time this year.

After the Spring he sits 5th or 6th on the depth chart, so unless Alabama suffers a rash of injuries he will again ride the bench the majority of the season.

wholehog92

When you have 3-7 high D1 players a year in a state, everybody knows who they are, there's no chance the coaches don't.  If they choose somewhere besides AR and AR needs them, it makes recruiting nationally very difficult.  A kid from another state has to look at an AR kid leaving an AR offer on the table when there is PT available as an indicator of the program.

We are playing against teams consistently pulling in top 10 classes none of which do that strictly from in state, we have never done it.  Most of those other schools pull what they are after in state which indicates to their national targets they see something good.

I'm not sure Altee is good enough to start here either FWIW.  Him leaving the state says something to other national recruits though.  It makes it really hard to recruit against Bama when an AR kid is leaving an AR offer on the table to go play at Bama.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

hogwild210

Quote from: GlassofSwine on July 14, 2014, 02:36:40 pm
Statistically he sat on the bench 95% of the time and didn't play in any meaningful games. He is buried on the depth chart behind a bunch of other sophomores and juniors. That is what a benchwarmer does, it doesn't mean you don't ever play. So basically, the No. 1 or 2 recruit in the state sits on the bench 95% of the time.
  . Here is a view from Alabama writer on Altee...

After the Spring he sits 5th or 6th on the depth chart, so unless Alabama suffers a rash of injuries he will again ride the bench the majority of the season.

As a true sophomore, which is to be expected. He's no Derrick Henry. Give him time, he'll get the carries as he gets older.

Are you suggesting he'd be taking carries from Collins, Williams, and Marshall?
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: hogwild210 on July 14, 2014, 03:54:34 pm
As a true sophomore, which is to be expected. He's no Derrick Henry. Give him time, he'll get the carries as he gets older.

Are you suggesting he'd be taking carries from Collins, Williams, and Marshall?

Right now he has two other sophomores ahead of him, Henry and Jones( who redshirted last year). They have an incoming freshmen who is a 5* RB who may play this year ahead of him. Yeldon and Drake are both Juniors and Jalston Fowler was ahead of him too. If Altee ever gets meaningful playing time it will probably be as a senior and no that is not the norm at Alabama for their elite backs. Yeldon, Ingram, Lacy, Richardson all received meaningful and significant playing time as a freshmen.

Let's see at Arkansas we had Williams and Collins last year, Marshall didn't come on until late in the year. In fact he only had 2 carries all season until the last 3 games of the year. I think it is a no-brainer if Altee would have come to Arkansas he would have been  in the mix. Do you really believe Bielema wouldn't have used him? If Bielema proved anything last year it is that he would utilize talent no matter how young across the field if they could help.

MountieDawg

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 11, 2014, 12:16:15 pm
It means something to love home.    http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/11/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers  Leaving home is not always the best decision.

4 trips to the championship game compared to having the #1 pick in the draft each year.
SEC!

hogwild210

Quote from: GlassofSwine on July 14, 2014, 04:54:18 pm
  Right now he has two other sophomores ahead of him, Henry and Jones( who redshirted last year). They have an incoming freshmen who is a 5* RB who may play this year ahead of him. Yeldon and Drake are both Juniors and Jalston Fowler was ahead of him too. If Altee ever gets meaningful playing time it will probably be as a senior and no that is not the norm at Alabama for their elite backs. Yeldon, Ingram, Lacy, Richardson all received meaningful and significant playing time as a freshmen.

Let's see at Arkansas we had Williams and Collins last year, Marshall didn't come on until late in the year. In fact he only had 2 carries all season until the last 3 games of the year. I think it is a no-brainer if Altee would have come to Arkansas he would have been  in the mix. Do you really believe Bielema wouldn't have used him? If Bielema proved anything last year it is that he would utilize talent no matter how young across the field if they could help.

Who said anything about him being elite? If he isn't "elite" at Alabama he wouldn't be at Arkansas. Elite is elite.

hogwild210

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 14, 2014, 10:47:53 pm
No, it's not an equal measure between the schools because the talent pool isn't the same.

So he'd be a better back simply by being at Arkansas? We're going to have to agree to disagree.

ARtillahog

Quote from: ricepig on July 11, 2014, 01:54:43 pm
Do we always offer everyone of our in-state D-I recruit's?

There are 11 D-I schools in Texas, and 7 in Florida.

That's what I'm talking about, there will be several that will be left hanging without a scholarship.  So how do they get to play (on scholarship) for the home school?

fortsmithokie

I don't doubt home holds a special place in James' heart, but I don't buy that the "letter" isn't more about controlling the narrative than it is LeBron pouring out his heart.

hogwild210

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 15, 2014, 09:07:36 am
While Tenpenny's talent would be the same wherever he goes, relative to the talent pools at each of the schools, yes he would be a better back (meaning his talent level would more likely earn him playing time at Arkansas before it will at Alabama).

Yeah, definitely have to agree to disagree. I wish he had come here, but he'd still be the same Tenpenny he is at Alabama...a really good back.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: hogwild210 on July 15, 2014, 01:22:44 pm
Yeah, definitely have to agree to disagree. I wish he had come here, but he'd still be the same Tenpenny he is at Alabama...a really good back.

TenPenny was ranked as a TOP 10 RB in the nation coming out, TOP 100 overall player. 247 had him ranked 5th overall as a RB in his class. There are places that had Tenpenny ahead of Collins.  Are you seriously trying to suggest that Arkansas has the talent pool that Alabama does?

hogwild210

Quote from: GlassofSwine on July 15, 2014, 01:53:59 pm
TenPenny was ranked as a TOP 10 RB in the nation coming out, TOP 100 overall player. 247 had him ranked 5th overall as a RB in his class. There are places that had Tenpenny ahead of Collins.  Are you seriously trying to suggest that Arkansas has the talent pool that Alabama does?

...what? No. We're talking about Tenpenny, not the respective talent pools. Where did that come from?

GlassofSwine

Quote from: hogwild210 on July 15, 2014, 03:12:07 pm
...what? No. We're talking about Tenpenny, not the respective talent pools. Where did that come from?

The reason he isn't playing at Alabama isn't because of his talent level. It is because of the talent pool at Alabama. Last year in Tenpenny's class Alabama got 3 of the TOP 10 RB's in the nation in Henry, Tenpenny and Jones. Alabama also has Yeldon and Drake who are juniors and ahead of them. Plus this year they got Bo Scarborough who while listed as an athlete will be a RB and basically 2nd in the nation to Fournette.
   Imagine if Arkansas got 3 guys equal to Collins in one year? Imagine if Arkansas had 6 guys on their roster who were up to Collins talent level? Tenpenny isn't on the bench because he isn't elite he is on the bench because the guys around him have proven to be better.In almost any other situation outside of playing for Alabama, Tenpenny would be getting significant playing time.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: sevenof400 on July 15, 2014, 09:07:36 am
While Tenpenny's talent would be the same wherever he goes, relative to the talent pools at each of the schools, yes he would be a better back (meaning his talent level would more likely earn him playing time at Arkansas before it will at Alabama).
If his talent is the same wherever he goes, then he isn't a better back.  You're simply saying that everyone else would be worse. 
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

hogwild210

Quote from: GlassofSwine on July 15, 2014, 03:48:22 pm
The reason he isn't playing at Alabama isn't because of his talent level. It is because of the talent pool at Alabama. Last year in Tenpenny's class Alabama got 3 of the TOP 10 RB's in the nation in Henry, Tenpenny and Jones. Alabama also has Yeldon and Drake who are juniors and ahead of them. Plus this year they got Bo Scarborough who while listed as an athlete will be a RB and basically 2nd in the nation to Fournette.
   Imagine if Arkansas got 3 guys equal to Collins in one year? Imagine if Arkansas had 6 guys on their roster who were up to Collins talent level? Tenpenny isn't on the bench because he isn't elite he is on the bench because the guys around him have proven to be better.In almost any other situation outside of playing for Alabama, Tenpenny would be getting significant playing time.

I said as much above. He's a very good back. I wish he had picked Arkansas. Are we in disagreement? Because if we are I'm not seeing it.

31to6

Quote from: hogwild210 on July 15, 2014, 08:33:33 am
So he'd be a better back simply by being at Arkansas? We're going to have to agree to disagree.
He would be a better back if he were getting more reps in practice, more coaching and more snaps in games.

Let's say he goes to some team where he is stronger and faster than anyone else in the backfield, by a lot. The coaches would be salivating to get him on the field, would put together packages to get him into the game, would spend a ton of time trying to get the playbook beaten into his head, and so on. All of that attention, playing time would accelerate his development.

So, yes, he'd be a better back if he were not buried on the depth chart at Alabama.

Now whether he'd be better than JW, AC and KM I don't know. He might be the 4th back here, too.

Hoggy

Lebron only went home because he could get a max deal and have a chance to win a title.  If he stays in Miami he has no shot.  Chasing titles and money.  If he truly just wanted to go home he could have taken 20 million a year and I think he would have been just fine.

forrest city joe

How did this thread which i started, turn into the Tempenny thread?he said no to Arkansas to go play for a division rival. so i don't want to read or hear his name.this thread is about in-state talent staying home now. not about guys who have already gone out of state.i am saying playing for your home state team and trying to build something special,should mean something to you. i feel about Arkansas, like Lebron feels about NE Ohio. we need more young men like DMac,J.Wright and Brey Cook. their love of Arkansas kept them here.

ricepig

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 16, 2014, 11:40:56 am
. we need more young men like DMac,J.Wright and Brey Cook. their love of Arkansas kept them here.

I don't think you'll get any disagreement from anyone on that. Now, how are you going to achieve it?

Hoggy

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 16, 2014, 11:40:56 am
How did this thread which i started, turn into the Tempenny thread?he said no to Arkansas to go play for a division rival. so i don't want to read or hear his name.this thread is about in-state talent staying home now. not about guys who have already gone out of state.i am saying playing for your home state team and trying to build something special,should mean something to you. i feel about Arkansas, like Lebron feels about NE Ohio. we need more young men like DMac,J.Wright and Brey Cook. their love of Arkansas kept them here.
Doesnt matter Tennpenny would be 4th string for us like he is Bama