Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nervous

Started by MH04, July 10, 2014, 07:46:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MH04

I'm always very optimistic about recruiting but I am starting to get nervous about this class. If anybody has good news please share, Lord knows we need some right now. WPS!

hawgwild child

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

Hook 'em Hogs

There is only 1 team ranked above us that has as few commitments as we do, and probably only 5 that have less than 5 more recruits than we do. This is a great class, even though it's quiet right now. Most teams in front of us have 7+ more commitments than we do-we're in good shape.

Uncommon

July 10, 2014, 08:05:51 pm #4 Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:24:54 pm by Uncommon
a

Bubba's Bruisers

Relax.  We will likely finish a fudge better than we usually do...say 20-25 range. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ImHogginIt

Quote from: MH04 on July 10, 2014, 07:46:54 pm
I'm always very optimistic about recruiting but I am starting to get nervous about this class. If anybody has good news please share, Lord knows we need some right now. WPS!

Uh... we have 10 very good looking commits and February is 8 months away. Step away from the ledge  :razorback:

lumphog

Quote from: Uncommon on July 10, 2014, 08:05:51 pm
I know the feeling.  I get that way every time about this time of year.  I just hear about the successes of other SEC West schools on the recruiting trail and start to get nervous.  Plus, I hear all the time from recruits, "I'm gonna come up for a visit."  Then, they back out of it later and I just feel that if it were other schools, they'd bust their hump to get there whereas for us, they might make it or they might not.

All of this has one solution, win more games this season.  Hope we can be 4-1 when Alabama comes to town, we have a rocking crowd, and some good prospects on hand.
I think things really heat up when we win a few games. I think we win some people don't give us a chance to. THIS will be the class to put us back where we belong. I think the staff is being very selective right now, knowing that it's going to get much better. I think we finish strong

Music City Hog

No need to worry.  Class will be same as it always is.

Greyhands

Hoggish1

All of this has one solution, win more games this season.  Hope we can be 4-1 5-0 when Alabama comes to town, we have a rocking crowd, and some good prospects on hand.

Does that help? WPS

Greyhands

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 10, 2014, 08:06:03 pm
Relax.  We will likely finish a fudge better than we usually do...say 20-25 range. 
and honestly with the season we had last year that's good I think

Music City Hog

Quote from: lumphog on July 10, 2014, 08:33:49 pm
I think things really heat up when we win a few games. I think we win some people don't give us a chance to. THIS will be the class to put us back where we belong. I think the staff is being very selective right now, knowing that it's going to get much better. I think we finish strong

Like when back to back top 5ish finishes didn't change our recruiting outcomes one single bit?   Winning, losing...it won't matter. We will always recruit the same way. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Greyhands on July 10, 2014, 09:17:30 pm
and honestly with the season we had last year that's good I think

Yep.  And if BB can consistenly get classes around #20, provided they're balanced, then we'll be good.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Music City Hog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 10, 2014, 09:24:34 pm
Yep.  And if BB can consistenly get classes around #20, provided they're balanced, then we'll be good.

I agree. If he can consistently get top 20 then he will be the best recruiting head coach we've ever had.  That's never been done before.

Uncommon

July 10, 2014, 09:31:31 pm #15 Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:24:39 pm by Uncommon
a

Richard_white

We have more recruits now than this time last year. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Music City Hog on July 10, 2014, 09:27:08 pm
I agree. If he can consistently get top 20 then he will be the best recruiting head coach we've ever had.  That's never been done before.

Not necessarily top 20, but say 20 to 25 EVERY year....with the occasional upper teens.  I think that's doable.

Our history has been top 25 followed by top 40.  No consistency.

ldfergu

All of this has one solution, win more games this season.  Hope we can be 4-1 when Alabama comes to town, we have a rocking crowd, and some good prospects on hand.

^^^^^^^^

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Richard_white on July 10, 2014, 09:31:51 pm
We have more recruits now than this time last year. 

Agree, but to be fair, we also didn't get enough signatures on NSD last february to use up the available scholies.  Ouch.

muddhogger

No worries my friend. It's always a little slow this time of year. We are way ahead compared to where we have been in the past. Last year we had three 4-star recruits out of 25 commitments. This year we already have four 4-star commits out of only 10 commitments and that doesn't include CJ O'Grady and Daytreon Dean who are on the cusp of being 4-stars themselves. I believe we will finish ranked around 20th this year.

Bubba's Bruisers

What we lack in quantity so far, we seemingly make up in quality.  Lot's of good looking recruits...based on offer sheets.  More than I can remember at this time of the season.

Music City Hog

I like the 10 we have so far.  This is the best set of offers we have had in July in a while. 

Storey:  Bama, Auburn
Cantrell:  Oklahoma
Froholdt: Bama, Fla. st, Michigan, Ohio st.
O'Grady: Oklahoma, Texas, Oregon
Rogers: Texas, Oklahoma  Ucla

These guys have other lesser offers as well.  We also have a few guys with no real significant offers, but for us, I think that's a good start.  It will be interesting to see if we can get more kids like those or if we go back to what we usually do.  Landing the in state kids is a start.

lumphog

Quote from: Music City Hog on July 10, 2014, 09:20:57 pm
Like when back to back top 5ish finishes didn't change our recruiting outcomes one single bit?   Winning, losing...it won't matter. We will always recruit the same way. 
BoullSheet..............It's already different & gonna get better. This staff has that "IT" factor that guys want to play for.

Music City Hog

Quote from: lumphog on July 10, 2014, 09:45:19 pm
BoullSheet..............It's already different & gonna get better. This staff has that "IT" factor that guys want to play for.

Ok, I hope you're right.  Like I just said in this thread, I like the start to this class but I have a huge sample size to prove my point and suggest I am correct.  You, well, you have hope.

Uncommon

These are the class rankings I'd like to correlate with season results:
3-9      28-32
4-8      24-28
5-7      20-24
6-6      17-21
7-5      14-18
8-4      11-15
9-3       8-12
10-2     5-9
11-1     2-6
12-0     1-5

muddhogger

I think we will win a minimum of 5 with a max of 7 this year no matter what our recruiting rankings end up being. A lot of it depends on how much our offensive and defensive line improves.

SemperFi

Really? C'mon man, you're far better than posting that crap! Why give up so easily?

We really do have an amazing class and I think that if we have a successful 2014 season the kids that were on the fence will be running to be Hogs. Unlike Petrino Coach B believes in both offense and defense. He's been successful at Wisky and will have the Hogs competing for the SECC in 2016. I'm optimistic, just not about these instate kids that are playing games with the fanbase, but I am very optimistic about some of the out of state talent that is giving the Hogs hard looks. We're going to have a very solid class and I wouldn't be surprised to see us somewhere being ranked between 15-20 in recruiting come NSD.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Huds_HawgTide

Relax we will land gragg and hill
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

yraciv

Gosh it's July, take a deep breath and back away from the keyboard.  We probably haven't even been mentioned yet for 5-10 recruits that end up signing with us.  There are 7 months to go! I don't know why anyone would get hung up on recruiting in July.  And just for comparison sakes, this class look a whole hell of a lot better than last years at this point.  And that one ended up being 30th, 247 composite.

Richard_white

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 10, 2014, 09:33:44 pm
Agree, but to be fair, we also didn't get enough signatures on NSD last february to use up the available scholies.  Ouch.

Not sure what you mean because the only reason we didn't sign 25 in the last class is because four didn't qualify at the time. And all four of them with the exception of Tretola were late in the process.

Also this class as of now (ranking wise) compared to last year at this time is by far more highly ranked.

PygmalionEffect

So, you think Petrino could've scored that blonde finishing out of the top 25?

No way, that top 5 finish made a huge difference.  I just don't see him getting with anything under the age of 30 without that win over lsu.

Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Richard_white on July 10, 2014, 10:13:04 pm
Not sure what you mean because the only reason we didn't sign 25 in the last class is because four didn't qualify at the time. And all four of them with the exception of Tretola were late in the process.

Also this class as of now (ranking wise) compared to last year at this time is by far better ranked.

Im not following the four that didnt qualify...who were they?  Regardless, I believe we still had 2 maybe 3 scholies to give after NSD, so we didn't even sign a full class last year.

And I've already commented on the quality of the class as compared to last year...or any year for that matter.

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 10, 2014, 08:28:46 pm
Uh... we have 10 very good looking commits and February is 8 months away. Step away from the ledge  :razorback:

Look at those first 10, and assuming we don't lose any of them, I don't think we've ever had that strong of a group out of the first 10 commitments.

Does anybody think we've ever had a better first 10 than those?

I think we are still set up to finish in the top 20 if we have a decent season and not a catastrophe like last year.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Huds_HawgTide on July 10, 2014, 10:04:58 pm
Relax we will land gragg and hill

Throw in Haughton and Sunderland, and we're in business.

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on July 10, 2014, 10:19:35 pm
Look at those first 10, and assuming we don't lose any of them, I don't think we've ever had that strong of a group out of the first 10 commitments.

Does anybody think we've ever had a better first 10 than those?

I think we are still set up to finish in the top 20 if we have a decent season and not a catastrophe like last year.

Correct. 

Richard_white

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 10, 2014, 10:19:26 pm
Im not following the four that didnt qualify...who were they?  Regardless, I believe we still had 2 maybe 3 scholies to give after NSD, so we didn't even sign a full class last year.

And I've already commented on the quality of the class as compared to last year...or any year for that matter.

My bad.  The only two were Tretola and Pruitt.  We did lose one late because of grades in January. So we were short by three until Williams and Colquit signed.

But it doesn't matter if we were short by one or two.  We held two spots for Solomon Thomas and DJack.  Unfortunately we didn't sign them.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Lol, we have more 4 star committed already than all of last year. And you are nervous?

MH04

Thanks guys thats what I needed haha. I think I just got mad watching Gragg and Hill today and them not being committed. I really do love this class so far I just had a moment of weakness!

Music City Hog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on July 10, 2014, 10:31:01 pm
Lol, we have more 4 star committed already than all of last year. And you are nervous?

Which I agree is great, however, it puts us squarely near the bottom of our conference so how do we step forward?

FBREW000

Quote from: Music City Hog on July 10, 2014, 10:51:47 pm
Which I agree is great, however, it puts us squarely near the bottom of our conference so how do we step forward?
by adding players.. Man, I do believe that the majority of those ahead of us have more players presently committed.  therefore, just adding to our class will pull us ahead some

Rzbakfromwaybak

I'm always very optimistic about recruiting but I am starting to get nervous about this class. If anybody has good news please share, Lord knows we need some right now.
WPS!

Lol.  If you are getting nervous in July.....you are going to need some serious medication by January & Feb.  There are going to be so many ups & downs in the recruiting process before then....& it's not much different each year.  We are doing fine so far.....& that's about all that we could hope for at this point.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Uncommon on July 10, 2014, 09:31:31 pm
I'll always be nervous about our recruiting until we get into at least the Top 20 annually.  Just the way I am.

LOL.  Apparently you have no REAL worries in your life right now.  That will change.  Don't "worry" about things you can't control just enjoy the process and support he Hogs.   

RazorPiggie

The current staff is better in the recruiting department than the previous.

Steef

Coach did this last year also. As far as numbers of recruits early...we had fewer than other SEC teams.

We're talking to and getting interest from...Some really good kids.  And they may just be waiting to see how our season unfolds.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Music City Hog on July 10, 2014, 10:51:47 pm

We finish strong like this staff appears to be able to do. Gragg and KJ are still possible And Key to having a great class Ranking this season.

But this staff has shown the ability to go get 4 star prospects out of state late in the recruiting season.

2013- Kirkland, Collins, Koehlar, Damon Mitchell

2014 - JoJo Robinson, Brian Wallace, Ragnow

And they have done this after JLS won 4 games in 2013 and CBB won 3 games last year (3 games I might add from team that won 4 the previous year and then lost 7 offensive players who were on NFL rosters last season)

Pretty impressive if you ask me. I think that will improve once we start winning.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Are you talking about final rankings? We finished #12 in 2010 and #5 in 2011 not quite back to back top 5.

I think we would have seen a recruiting bump after the #5 finish, but CBP was fired like 3 months later. So I guess we will not ever truly know.

tophawg19

also remember this a class loaded with TE;s o-linemen , and D-linemen will never finish as high as one top loaded with skill guys .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

870hogfan

Never really nervous about something I can't control.

Pork Twain

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 10, 2014, 08:28:46 pm
One of the strongest early classes we have ever signed.  Way too early to worry.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ricepig

Quote from: 870hogfan on July 11, 2014, 08:27:56 am
Never really nervous about something I can't control.

Really?? I'm more nervous in those situations, I figure someone will screw up, when I wouldn't, lol.