Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN- Arkansas' Most Important game

Started by monty hawg, July 10, 2014, 02:45:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBell

Just like the Rutgers game the last two years.  Beating a decent non-conference opponent would give the team an excellent boost.  How can you hope to beat A&M or Georgia if you can't beat Rutgers or Texas Tech?

ifghog

hoghevn

Balanced article and very accurate assessment of our situation.
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

Rocky Mountain Living

July 10, 2014, 03:57:07 pm #4 Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:32:50 pm by Rocky Mountain Living
I am going to disagree with ESPN...Hogs pummel TT for Win #2 of the season.

Regarding the Gig Em vs LSWHO game the Friday after Thanksgiving this year....LSWHO and ATM will both be out of the race and thus have zero impact on the SEC West race. 

Bama visits Baton Rouge the weekend before LSWHO comes to Fayetteville....
Hogs have a bye a week before the LSWHO game....

Hogs knock LSU out of the race BEFORE Thanksgiving for another Iron Bowl winner takes it all for the SEC West and a berth in ATL on 12/06

Observation:  LSWHO fans are going to want the schedule to revert back to bama, then gig em, (bye in there too) and finally Arkansas to close the season VS bama then Arkansas back to back and a bye weekend before the gig em game.

Hogwild

I understand their reasoning, but my choice would be A&M (neutral site & conference game) I'm thinking we will likely be  2-2 or 3-1 headed into that game, a win would be huge.

Hoggish1

peachy

I see wins in all 4 non-conference games, though the Texas Tech and N. Illinois could be close.

After that its going to be hard to get 2 more conference wins to make a bowl.  The most likely candidates are Texas A&M, Ole Miss and Miss St.  LSU is an outside shot due to them losing nearly every productive offensive weapon they had. 

Go 2-2 in those 4 conference games and 6-6 with that schedule would be a remarkable step forward.

seasonhog

Rocky Mountain Living

The ATM game will be the key to our season 

If we beat Gig Em....Hogs finish with 7-8 wins. 

Wins: 4 OOC + ATM + Ole Piss and either uga, misstake, lswho and/or missery

HF#1

First game is most important.  How we play against Auburn will very much impact the rest of the year.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HogFan#1 on July 10, 2014, 05:34:08 pm
First game is most important.  How we play against Auburn will very much impact the rest of the year.

No, it won't. It is one game and early. It has no effect on the overall outcome of our season. It would be great to play them close or even win, but either way it isn't an indicator of how our season ends up.
Go Hogs Go!

HF#1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 10, 2014, 05:41:42 pm
No, it won't. It is one game and early. It has no effect on the overall outcome of our season. It would be great to play them close or even win, but either way it isn't an indicator of how our season ends up.

I disagree.  With this group, it's important.  It's our first SEC game of the season.  It's our first road game of the season.  It's a real test. 

We need to play well if not win.  Get dominated and I don't think we will react very well. 

The majority of this team has known little to no success.  That should motivate them to compete more than they ever have.  That alone should produce a result they can't be positive about.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Jafo

I think our most important game will be the one we are playing at the time. If we beat Auburn, that sets a nice tone for the rest of our schedule. Go Hogs! Beat Auburn!

jkstock04

Quote from: HogFan#1 on July 10, 2014, 05:45:17 pm
I disagree.  With this group, it's important.  It's our first SEC game of the season.  It's our first road game of the season.  It's a real test. 

We need to play well if not win.  Get dominated and I don't think we will react very well. 

The majority of this team has known little to no success.  That should motivate them to compete more than they ever have.  That alone should produce a result they can't be positive about.
I agree with this. If Auburn blows us out in game 1, it could kill team morale. We really need some good things to happen in that game. I don't hold a fantasy of us coming out of that with a W, but I am hopeful we will make it a competitive game, at least for the 1st half.

I think Auburn is a key game and will set the tone for the year.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

bigpigonthehill

Quote from: Jafo on July 10, 2014, 05:47:51 pm
I think our most important game will be the one we are playing at the time. If we beat Auburn, that sets a nice tone for the rest of our schedule. Go Hogs! Beat Auburn!

I agree, its a early test that could represent how we play the rest of the season. It is a game that can motivate the team or deflate the team.
How the hell did we wind up like this? Why weren't we able to see the signs that we missed? And try to turn the tables. Nothing is wrong, just as long as you know that someday I will. Some day, Some how. Gonna make it alright but not right now. I know you're wondering when.

Steef

opineonswine

not even close

poloprince

The next game is the most important i always thought  ???
$PoLoPrInCe$

rupert

I think Auburn is the most important and we win it....  my two cents

elksnort

Agree. Need to play well, if not win outright.

PonderinHog

1-0  Play like  >:( :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Ramtough

Quote from: rupert on July 10, 2014, 09:06:10 pm
I think Auburn is the most important and we win it....  my two cents
Auburn played in the national championship game and played well. We were 3-9. Common sense would tell anyone its not a game we have a chance to win on the road when we couldn't beat them here last year. It will be interesting to see our play calling on offense.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

I seem to remember USCw pounding us into submission first game of year and we went on a roll after that.  I'm going with TT

redeye

I don't care that it's Auburn, because I always consider the first game the most important, until it's over and then it's the second game.

1-0

kingofdequeen

that's bullcrap.

Auburn game is the most important we've had in a long while.  huge.

LZH

We've had our asses handed to us early in the season before and went on to have a good year.  The 2006 team was fairly young, like this one, and that turned out OK.  We're gonna get smacked around, I hate to say....but I don't think it will have any lasting damage to our psyche or anything.  We'll get over it and move on.

Hogwild

Win the two games in Texas!! 
& At worst we head into October with 4 wins.

Win 1 of 6 SEC games and a win over UAB= Bowl
Oct. 11   Alabama*
Oct. 18   Georgia*
Oct. 25   UAB
Nov. 1   at Mississippi State*
Nov. 15   LSU*
Nov. 22   Ole Miss*
Nov. 29   at Missouri

bruisemeister

The Hogs were headed to a 4-0 start before a 4th quarter collapse against Rutgers. I think a that shook the young teams confidence and they never recovered(much like the ULM game in 2012). A win over Texas Tech can go a long way for a successful season.

bruisemeister

Quote from: Hogwild on July 10, 2014, 11:14:50 pm
Win the two games in Texas!! 
& At worst we head into October with 4 wins.

Win 1 of 6 SEC games and a win over UAB= Bowl
Oct. 11   Alabama*
Oct. 18   Georgia*
Oct. 25   UAB
Nov. 1   at Mississippi State*
Nov. 15   LSU*
Nov. 22   Ole Miss*
Nov. 29   at Missouri
So simple. You just pointed out the harsh reality. No bowling again this year.

carolinahogger

It has no effect on the overall outcome of our season.

It will fit in one side of the win/loss column. 

ChitownHawg

We were dominated by several teams last year and this team never gave up. There was plenty of fight left in this Hog during the LSU game. If you think this team rolls over and quits after a loss in the first game then you clearly missed the character of this team.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

LZH

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 11, 2014, 05:43:36 am
We were dominated by several teams last year and this team never gave up. There was plenty of fight left in this Hog during the LSU game. If you think this team rolls over and quits after a loss in the first game then you clearly missed the character of this team.

Whoa, bug, I don't think so.  We flat out quit in a couple of games, no doubt about it.  Our defense in particular.  But I will say that I don't expect any of that this year because I do think BB is kinda weeding out the quitters, or I expect that he is trying.

Swineasaur

Quote from: Rocky Mountain Living on July 10, 2014, 04:26:26 pm

it's close to impossible to make sense of your posts

hawgXi

Quote from: Rocky Mountain Living on July 10, 2014, 04:26:26 pm

who would you be referring to as "gig um"

TCU aka "horned frogs" I could see the association, but I have trouble with tech or a$m.

hep me out here

HogimusMaximus

You really think that if we come up with a big win it won't build confidence for the rest of the season.  Alternatively, if we lose by 28-35 it won't affect the rest of the season.  Each game is a single, discrete outcome that does not impact future performance?

Steef

Quote from: hawgXi on July 11, 2014, 07:07:30 am
who would you be referring to as "gig um"

TCU aka "horned frogs" I could see the association, but I have trouble with tech or a$m.

hep me out here

Don't really have a dog in this hunt. But "gig em".....is TAMU's call sign.

No idea what it means.

:)

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: steefhog on July 11, 2014, 07:27:53 am
Don't really have a dog in this hunt. But "gig em".....is TAMU's call sign.

No idea what it means.

:)

This explains the meaning of gig em(not really....this is terrible)

Hawg_Thai'd

I believe the SECCG will be FAR more important than either Auburn or TT. Finshed.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

Pork Twain

Nobody outside of Fayetteville is going to expect the Razorbacks to open the season by beating Auburn on Aug. 30, but Texas Tech is a quality nonconference opponent that the Razorbacks should be competitive with.

Truth
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

JayBell

I'm as optimistic as anyone and I think Auburn will by way down this season, but you have to be a delusional homer to expect a win against Auburn, who last played in the BCS National Championship game.  There is no logical reason to expect Arkansas to win that game, or even for it to be close.  It very well could be a close game, but there's nothing concrete from Arkansas to suggest that it will be.  And everyone outside of Arkansas expects an easy Auburn victory.

That is why the key game is Texas Tech.  Arkansas can endure an early loss to Auburn and it won't affect the season as a whole.  The Hogs can wipe the slate clean after a loss, beat Nicholls State and then (possibly) propel themselves into the rest of the conference schedule with wins over TT and NIU.

The Texas Tech game is still a key game even if Arkansas upsets Auburn because all momentum from that win would be lost if Arkansas goes and flops in Lubbock.

Steef

Quote from: JayBell on July 11, 2014, 09:59:46 am
I'm as optimistic as anyone and I think Auburn will by way down this season, but you have to be a delusional homer to expect a win against Auburn, who last played in the BCS National Championship game.  There is no logical reason to expect Arkansas to win that game, or even for it to be close.  It very well could be a close game, but there's nothing concrete from Arkansas to suggest that it will be.  And everyone outside of Arkansas expects an easy Auburn victory.

That is why the key game is Texas Tech.  Arkansas can endure an early loss to Auburn and it won't affect the season as a whole.  The Hogs can wipe the slate clean after a loss, beat Nicholls State and then (possibly) propel themselves into the rest of the conference schedule with wins over TT and NIU.

The Texas Tech game is still a key game even if Arkansas upsets Auburn because all momentum from that win would be lost if Arkansas goes and flops in Lubbock.

Yes, Auburn will be good this year and a tough opponent.

But they really were not the second best team in the country last year. They lucked into at least two wins. So being in the Crystal game was less about brute strength than good fortune.

And they did lose Mason, who was a game changing player.

Truth is, the upcoming season has more question marks for the SEC than any year I can remember in a long time.

JayBell

Quote from: steefhog on July 11, 2014, 10:11:33 amYes, Auburn will be good this year and a tough opponent.

But they really were not the second best team in the country last year. They lucked into at least two wins. So being in the Crystal game was less about brute strength than good fortune.

And they did lose Mason, who was a game changing player.

Truth is, the upcoming season has more question marks for the SEC than any year I can remember in a long time.

Agreed on all counts.

The Kig

This is actually a fairly interesting question...

Would love to say Auburn.  I am semi-optimistic that we can find a way to win the game, but also am realistic enough to understand how monumental that task is... playing a solid game the shows demonstrable improvement (win or lose) will be pivotal to the remaining games.

Reasons why it makes sense:
-Their defense was suspect before they started losing players who are now suspects...
-They had a miracle turn around season, one year removed from an 0-8 SEC season. 
-They relied on multiple complete miracles to get to the FL State game.  The oblong ball bounces have a funny way of crushing your dreams just as easily as making them come true.
-No matter how much Gus takes their opening game seriously, NOBODY else will.  Getting your team up for a home opener where you're a 3 TD favorite and every single word coming from the media is discussing the Iron Bowl/Playoff potential of your team, is next to impossible.  They will say all the right things, but deep down the players will not believe it. 
-We are going to be a better team than last year and self inflicted wounds cost us the game last year.  Our change in Defensive philosophy alone will give us opportunities to win games that we didn't last year.  Offensively, we could make some major strides with improved QB/OL play... but even if we don't, we could still be dangerous with our 3 RB's.

Reasons why it makes no sense:
-They ran their gauntlet last year and played for it all in January. 
-We didn't win a game in the SEC and couldn't beat an average Rutgers team.
-Their Offense, despite losing their best RB, may actually be better.  When it is rolling, it is hard to stop. Marshall has reportedly learned how to throw a forward pass.  The offense doesn't rely on a Heisman RB, but more on making the right read and getting it to a player that is in a position to pick up yards.
-They have a great deal of depth with the past 4-5 years recruiting success.  At several positions, we are going to have to pray that the starter can go the distance and look at our programs to figure out who some of the people on the field are. 
- SEC Home game advantage...even if we weren't a young team, winning on the road in the SEC against a top tier program is difficult. 

The link below is actually a surprisingly relatively fair view of our program and the Auburn game matchups:

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/7/7/5858050/auburn-arkansas-game-2014-preview-rivalry

"Ultimately, it's likely that Arkansas will be a speed bump, but one that demonstrates the Auburn offensive ceiling. If Marshall and Coates shred the Hogs' eight-man fronts, then we may start thinking about Auburn in the Playoff. If Auburn has to struggle for its points, running clock while Turner racks up 10 tackles, then we may be looking at a team that struggles to distance itself from the SEC pack.

And Auburn's defense is another control test for how far along the Bielema man-ball install is. We know that the War Eagle D will be at least SEC-average good, so a big offensive game from Arkansas would portend a rebound season.

As much as these two coaches seem to dislike each other, and as passionate as this rivalry is liable to get, this is a game of poker in which Malzahn was dealt a far better hand. Unless Bielema can bluff better than he blusters about unsafe play and successfully overplays his hand, this rivalry will remain lopsided in Malzahn's favor."

Poker Porker

PonderinHog

ifghog

^^This^^^

OTTER

BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

PurpleBullHog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on July 10, 2014, 04:05:36 pm
Wrong.
This is clearly a Khan job.  The most important game is allburn.  Everything rolls off that win...

I am inclined to agree, but it's hard for me to reduce the entire season to the first game.  I think the real key to the Aub game is that our defense is better than folks expect, and we are more competitive than anyone outside of Fayetteville expects.  Even if we lose, if it's close I think things are really looking up and we should be in a pretty good position going into our two Texas games. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hoggish1 on July 10, 2014, 04:05:36 pm
Wrong.
This is clearly a Khan job.  The most important game is allburn.  Everything rolls off that win...

Not exactly. Not one of the talking heads, prognosticators, projectors, analysts or pickers in Vegas think that we have the chance of a snowball in hades of sticking with Auburn. They may be right, they may be wrong. But either way it turns out, it will have no bearing on how many other games we win the rest of the season.

A win would be a great confidence builder for the team and a tremendous upset in the eyes of the college football nation, but even a win vs. Auburn doesn't dictate the outcome of the rest of our season.

One game at a time.
Go Hogs Go!

Mo_Better_Hogs

I'd rather win the Auburn game as much as any. But I agree with Muskogee, it's too early in the year to base any judgments on.

We traditionally don't play that well in openers, except against very lowly teams. I'm always amazed when there's a great week #1 game on TV, with 2 really good teams, and the winner looks strong in the process. Blows my mind.