Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wake Forest coming to BWA Nov 19

Started by ricepig, July 10, 2014, 02:21:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgAdvocate

Our NC SOS should never be a joke, ever again.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

ricepig

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 10, 2014, 02:23:11 pm

It won't be an excuse to keep us out this year, assuming we win some of them.

hawgchill

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 10, 2014, 02:23:11 pm

Agreed good Sir,

I promise you though, these Dayton/Wake Forrest home games
WILL have the opponents NEEDING to step up as much as we will need to.

Our squad should be a handFULL from day one this season.

-Blu

Nice find.  Thanks for sharing.  That's another quality OOC opponent, this year if nothing else, should be exciting in the non-conference.

One thing that caught my eye was "will be part of The Roundball Showcase event hosted by Arkansas."  What's the Roundball Showcase event?  I'm assuming this is our non-conference tournament, right?  If so, I'd be curious to get more information on it.

razorhead94

Wake Forest seems to have a pretty schedule as well.  It's great to play all these good "marque" matchups but its avoiding the bad RPI teams that will really help our SOS.

Going to actually enjoy watching us play in November and December against good competition.

Games that we know of:

@SMU
@Iowa St
@Clemson
Dayton
Wake Forest
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: razorhead94 on July 10, 2014, 04:16:38 pm
Wake Forest seems to have a pretty schedule as well.  It's great to play all these good "marque" matchups but its avoiding the bad RPI teams that will really help our SOS.

Going to actually enjoy watching us play in November and December against good competition.

Games that we know of:

@SMU
@Iowa St
@Clemson
Dayton
Wake Forest

What are we thinking we need atleast 3 wins out if those 5?

gmarv

we will get at least 3 out of those 5.

Big Nasty 34

So, if we get to 21 wins or so we should be just fine I would say.

Breems

We don't have to win any of these games.

Doesn't matter if you win or lose. Just show up and say you were there on the schedule. Tourney time!
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

bulldog04

Just get in the tourney and you have a chance

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

nextlevel

Quote from: Breems on July 10, 2014, 06:42:10 pm
We don't have to win any of these games.

Doesn't matter if you win or lose. Just show up and say you were there on the schedule. Tourney time!

Worked for BYU last season...
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Adam Stokes

I love playing teams like Wake Forest.  Likely win against a team that will likely be near the Top 100 mark.  We should be able to handle Dayton at home, they are likely a top 50 team.  @Clemson is a winnable road game.  Don't think we will beat Iowa State or SMU, but we might.

It'll be interesting to see who else is added to the schedule.  Here is how our Non-con schedule stacked up the past two years as well as the teams we will be playing with their 2013-14 final RPI.  Even though we had a relatively good schedule in 2012, our non-conference RPI was still worse because we had 4 losses in 2012 compared to just 2 last year.  No point (RPI speaking) in scheduling hard teams if you are likely to lose to them.  SMU (53) should be higher this season as well as Wake (113.)  I think Clemson (79) will be about the same and Iowa State will be a lot lower than 7.  Dayton (43) will likely be higher as well.

The greatest factor will be how many of those lovely 300's we schedule.  We weren't so good the past three seasons.  Replace them with teams in the 175-225 range and we'll be good to go.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Adam Stokes

Quote from: nextlevel on July 10, 2014, 07:38:17 pm
Worked for BYU last season...

BYU's secret was that they only scheduled one team with an RPI worse than 200 (and they only had one team in the conference sub-200.)  They also only got 5 OOC home games in the process because of the competition they chose to play.  That's a sacrifice most AD's aren't willing to make.  7-5 against that type of competition isn't all that bad.  It was how they played in conference IMO that should've disqualified them from making the tournament.

nextlevel

Quote from: Adam Stokes on July 10, 2014, 07:47:39 pm
BYU's secret was that they only scheduled one team with an RPI worse than 200 (and they only had one team in the conference sub-200.)  They also only got 5 OOC home games in the process because of the competition they chose to play.  That's a sacrifice most AD's aren't willing to make.  7-5 against that type of competition isn't all that bad.  It was how they played in conference IMO that should've disqualified them from making the tournament.

I'm aware of how the schedule manipulation works, I'm also aware of "who did you play" can sometimes trump "who did you beat" with the selection committee while the exact opposite is deemed more important for other teams. That is part of a selection process involving a committee, it isn't a x + y = z type formula.

It isn't as simple as "replace all those 300s teams with 200s", you mentioned one reason, the possible lack of a home OOC schedule. Mid-majors are demanding home and home/2 for one time scenarios now and are doing a good job of forming a Cliche with one another to manipulate the SOSs amongst themselves.

It also wasn't just an Arkansas problem, it is an SEC problem as a whole, not only with the only mid/low major conferences in the region being those that are normally not good in terms of RPI and SOS (Sunbelt/Swac/southland) compare to similar leagues available locally for teams in other parts of the country, you also had a group of coaches who didn't play the schedule manipulation game either which led to a lower RPI and SOS for the league as a whole than what could be possible. The coaching changes in the off season of Pearl coming back to the league and Tindell at Tennessee will help the league in these areas as both are good at manipulating the SOS with scheduling. The league office getting involved should help as well.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Now we just need to avoid the plus 250 RPI killers.

sooiepig_12

Clemson is a game we should win if we are for real.

1highhog

It's good to bring back these old Schools we played in the past.  In the Sutton days we played Wake some, I didn't think they were deserving, never really knowing even where they were located or that they were from the mighty ACC.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Need to start researching mug shots NOW....

Get on it Ponderin
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: 1highhog on July 12, 2014, 09:33:51 pm
It's good to bring back these old Schools we played in the past.  In the Sutton days we played Wake some, I didn't think they were deserving, never really knowing even where they were located or that they were from the mighty ACC.
Wake Forest beat Eddie Sutton's best team (26-1 at the time) in the first round of the NCAA tournament. That one really hurt.