Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sunderland update

Started by The Recruiting Guy, July 10, 2014, 02:14:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Boot_stops_here

so Sunderland says its all about PT...says if Arkansas guarantees him a spot as a Freshman, he's sold...I say tell the kid he's got himself a freaking spot and sign him up...it wouldn't even be lying....we need help in a bad way back there

The real Hogules

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on July 10, 2014, 02:36:34 pm
so Sunderland says its all about PT...says if Arkansas guarantees him a spot as a Freshman, he's sold...I say tell the kid he's got himself a freaking spot and sign him up...it wouldn't even be lying....we need help in a bad way back there

I seriously doubt that he'll be told that he is promised a starting spot.
I'm confident that he'll be told that there's playing time there for the taking, BUT that it's up to him to EARN that PT.

He's a great looking athlete and I hope he chooses our Hogs.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

ifghog

Would be what we are looking for but...you can never guarantee a spot...right????

ricepig

Quote from: ifghog on July 10, 2014, 03:01:05 pm
Would be what we are looking for but...you can never guarantee a spot...right????

Sure, I'd guarantee him a spot on the roster.

Wildhog

I'd show him video of our safeties, and tell him, "If you can do better than this...the job is yours.  Guaranteed."
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawgzinbowlz

The coach's can give a player assurances that they, the coach's, believe the recruit will get playing time but I don't think any of our coach's will guarantee a recruit a spot. A strong sell that the coach's think that the player CAN start, is realistic, but a 100% guarantee isn't likely.
He can see our safety's in action, and if he's got it, bring it to "The Hill."

" GO HOGS "

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Wildhog on July 10, 2014, 03:08:49 pm
I'd show him video of our safeties, and tell him, "If you can do better than this...the job is yours.  Guaranteed."

It tis that simple.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

MissippHog

Regardless of all of the guaranteed spot talk, it seems he has real interest in us and really likes CBB.

Music City Hog

Tell him what he wants to hear.  Jesus, if I'm the staff and read that then I'm on the phone 1 minute later.  This is recruiting in the SEC.  Forget playing fair.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Music City Hog on July 10, 2014, 09:19:08 pm
Tell him what he wants to hear.  Jesus, if I'm the staff and read that then I'm on the phone 1 minute later.  This is recruiting in the SEC.  Forget playing fair.

I agree.  Since we don't want to play the bagman game, let's at least play this game. 

Quote from: MissippHog on July 10, 2014, 04:39:56 pm
Regardless of all of the guaranteed spot talk, it seems he has real interest in us and really likes CBB.

Goodness I hope.  Definitely need a few SEC caliber S's in this class.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Music City Hog

July 10, 2014, 09:24:19 pm #11 Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 07:26:02 am by Music City Hog
Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 10, 2014, 09:22:22 pm
I agree.  Since we don't want to play the bagman game, let's at least play this game. 

Goodness I hope.  Definitely need a few SEC caliber S's in this class.

Yup, playing fair and honest will get you embarrassed.

muddhogger

The kid wants to play so I tell him the starting job is his to lose, that way if he gets beat out, you can't say you lied to him. And if he's as good as he is suppose to be, I'm not sure we currently have anyone that would beat him out.

ZERO

So we're getting an OV from a 4* recruit who is looking at playing time as the single most important aspect of choosing a team. And he's a Safety. And we're Arkansas.

How in all hell do we possibly lose this battle? I mean come on.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

titanhawg

Some players you can pretty much guarantee playing time their Freshman year if they come in and keep doing what they're doing...which is working hard.

I don't know if you can guarantee a starting spot...but with kids like Alex Collins...Kirkland...B. Jones...etc...you can pretty much guarantee them they'll get significant PT their Freshman year.

pigture perfect

Yeah, you can gaurantee the roster spot, but he has to earn the PT himself. I heard a story from a friend of mine that has connections with LSU. He told me of a locker room anecdote from Saban when he was there. He told the freshmen, "I've kissed your ***'s for 2 years. Now you're going to kiss mine."
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Wildhog

Quote from: ZERO on July 10, 2014, 11:40:56 pm
So we're getting an OV from a 4* recruit who is looking at playing time as the single most important aspect of choosing a team. And he's a Safety. And we're Arkansas.

We've lost several recruiting battles that we had no business losing. 

How did we lose Keaton Sutherland when he has three brothers attending the UofA?
1909/1964/1965/1977

ARtillahog

Quote from: ZERO on July 10, 2014, 11:40:56 pm

That's pretty funny!

ARtillahog

Quote from: Wildhog on July 11, 2014, 08:32:38 am

How did we lose Keaton Sutherland when he has three brothers attending the UofA?

It's two brothers and maybe he doesn't like them as much we think he does.  Or the Aggies are the "IT" program in TX at the moment.

jackflash

I don't think you can promise playing time. If you do so and he doesn't play. He going to think you lie to him just to get him to come here. Not something I think we would want to start.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Wildhog on July 11, 2014, 08:32:38 am

We've also won battles we never thought we would.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

onebadrubi

Introduce him to Henry, skipper, Kirkland, Collins, and Ellis.  Ohio st or any other school on his list can introduce him to freshman that played as much and as well as that group. 

Wildhog

Quote from: Pork Twain on July 11, 2014, 08:47:57 am
We've also won battles we never thought we would.

True, thank god for Sam Pittman.  If not for him, we're in trouble.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: ARtillahog on July 11, 2014, 08:34:25 am
It's two brothers and maybe he doesn't like them as much we think he does.  Or the Aggies are the "IT" program in TX at the moment.

Yeah, maybe Keaton hates his four brothers at the UA. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawgsmellgud

I heard he likes his triplet brothers that attend the uofa, unit the other two were mean to him growing up. He wants to stick it to them.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

Pork Twain

Quote from: Wildhog on July 11, 2014, 09:21:42 am
True, thank god for Sam Pittman.  If not for him, we're in trouble.
Froholdt, O'Grady, Robinson, Collins

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Wildhog

Quote from: Pork Twain on July 11, 2014, 10:04:45 am
Froholdt, O'Grady, Robinson, Collins

I would have added Partridge and Taver, but they gone.

Thank God they were here for a minute.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

One thing that I don't like is that we replaced an absolute STUD recruiter in Patridge, with a guy that's never recruited at this level.

Taver for Jennings seems like a lateral move, which is fine.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hoggish1

This is a coaching staff that doesn't make promises it can't keep. 

Sunderland should appreciate honesty when he hears it, which will be:  we want you but we need you to come in a take a spot by being the best here at your position—this is the SEC. 

Nothing more, nothing less...

Wildhog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on July 11, 2014, 10:09:47 am
This is a coaching staff that doesn't make promises it can't keep. 

Sunderland should appreciate honesty when he hears it, which will be:  we want you but we need you to come in a take a spot by being the best here at your position—this is the SEC. 

Nothing more, nothing less...

They need to do whatever it takes to get these kids on campus.  Nothing less.

And don't mistake that for me criticizing the coaches.  I'm just saying, we're already behind the 8-ball, recruiting-wise.  We have to be ruthless.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on July 11, 2014, 10:10:31 am
They need to do whatever it takes to get these kids on campus.  Nothing less.

And don't mistake that for me criticizing the coaches.  I'm just saying, we're already behind the 8-ball, recruiting-wise.  We have to be ruthless.

I'm betting we do everything we can, recruiting isn't a cookie cutter approach, each kid will be treated differently. Hopefully, they hit on enough of them.

SemperFi

Quote from: ARtillahog on July 11, 2014, 08:34:25 am

You mentioned aTm and now I have to play my aTm hate card....freakin' hate aTm, their stupid yell leaders with identity issues and the fact that they will forever SUCK in my heart and mind. Why any kid with an offer to play anywhere but College Station would commit to that hell hole is beyond me.

The Safety position for a kid wanting playing time, Arkansas is definitely the place to be. I know that this staff is not linked to some of the great Safeties that were once Hogs like Steve Atwater and Kenny Hamlin, but we do as a program have tradition that we could exploit in our favor. Come on down Mr Sunderland! The Hogs have a need and you have the potential to be the next great Safety from THE UA. WPS!
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Pork Twain

Quote from: Wildhog on July 11, 2014, 10:08:22 am
One thing that I don't like is that we replaced an absolute STUD recruiter in Patridge, with a guy that's never recruited at this level.

Taver for Jennings seems like a lateral move, which is fine.
On paper it sure does look like we upgraded every position on our staff and added a big-time Texass recruiter.

Wonder who put this staff together and is often recognized as being key to us getting these guys...  I never remember Taver being called a great recruiter, so this is far from lateral.  Especially when you factor in the Texass ties.

Clay Jennings was announced as Arkansas' defensive backs coach Feb. 20, 2014. Jennings, who earned a reputation as TCU's ace recruiter, brings 16 years of coaching in the secondary and more than a decade at schools in the state of Texas to the position.

Wildhog

Quote from: Pork Twain on July 11, 2014, 01:04:16 pm
On paper it sure does look like we upgraded every position on our staff and added a big-time Texass recruiter.

Wonder who put this staff together and is often recognized as being key to us getting these guys...

In no universe could you make a legitimate case for Segrest over Partridge.  Partridge is a monster recruiter, and Segrest is a relative unknown.  I'm all for giving Segrest a chance, as he deserves it.  But to say he's an upgrade at this point is just dishonest.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pork Twain

Quote from: Wildhog on July 11, 2014, 01:09:06 pm
In no universe could you make a legitimate case for Segrest over Partridge.  Partridge is a monster recruiter, and Segrest is a relative unknown.  I'm all for giving Segrest a chance, as he deserves it.  But to say he's an upgrade at this point is just dishonest.

What?.?.?  Sounds like the same thing you are doing with good ole Taver.  All of a sudden you have made him an all-star recruiter and secondary coach.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on July 11, 2014, 01:09:06 pm

No doubt he's not in Patridge's league, at least not yet. There had to be a reason he chose him, I guess we'll have to see it play out.

Wildhog

Quote from: Pork Twain on July 11, 2014, 01:15:13 pm
What?.?.?  Sounds like the same thing you are doing with good ole Taver.  All of a sudden you have made him an all-star recruiter and secondary coach.

No, I didn't say anything close to that.  In fact, I said Taver to Jennings was a lateral move.

But- Taver was essential in landing Froholdt and others.  He wasn't a bad recruiter, at all.  He just came in 2nd a lot, it seemed.  He was a solid, but not great, recruiter for us.  He did seem to work hard, and I really appreciate that.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

wrong thread.

that would have been a strange read.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pork Twain

Quote from: Wildhog on July 11, 2014, 01:18:47 pm
No, I didn't say anything close to that.  In fact, I said Taver to Jennings was a lateral move.

But- Taver was essential in landing Froholdt and others.  He wasn't a bad recruiter, at all.  He just came in 2nd a lot, it seemed.  He was a solid, but not great, recruiter for us.  He did seem to work hard, and I really appreciate that.
Clearly on paper Taver and Jennings are not equal.  You don't have to admit it.  Fact is we got TCU's top recruiter, with deep Texass ties and that should be enough.  Far too early to say about Segrest, as he could turn out to be either the best recruiter we have ever had, the worst or something in the middle.

If you are not finishing 1st in individual recruiting battles, nobody cares about 2nd.

Wildhog

I just noticed you edited your post about Jennings. 

And f you look at who he's actually signed, instead of just what the university wrote about him, you'd know that he's really not that much of an ace recruiter. 

AND THAT'S NOT TO SAY HE'S NOT A GREAT DEVELOPER OR EVALUATOR.

I'm just saying that he's not going up against the big dogs in Texas and winning recruiting battles.  It's just disingenuous to suggest otherwise.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ARtillahog

Quote from: SemperFi on July 11, 2014, 10:43:14 am
You mentioned aTm and now I have to play my aTm hate card....freakin' hate aTm, their stupid yell leaders with identity issues and the fact that they will forever SUCK in my heart and mind. Why any kid with an offer to play anywhere but College Station would commit to that hell hole is beyond me.

The Safety position for a kid wanting playing time, Arkansas is definitely the place to be. I know that this staff is not linked to some of the great Safeties that were once Hogs like Steve Atwater and Kenny Hamlin, but we do as a program have tradition that we could exploit in our favor. Come on down Mr Sunderland! The Hogs have a need and you have the potential to be the next great Safety from THE UA. WPS!

I agree on aTm, but publicity pays the bills and JFball had it.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Wildhog on July 11, 2014, 01:31:02 pm

And f you look at who he's actually signed, instead of just what the university wrote about him, you'd know that he's really not that much of an ace recruiter.
Maybe he was not the lead recruiter in every case, but I see no reason for their sight to post something that is untrue.  That would be a slight against the rest of the coaches.

Wildhog

Quote from: Pork Twain on July 11, 2014, 01:32:53 pm
Maybe he was not the lead recruiter in every case, but I see no reason for their sight to post something that is untrue.  That would be a slight against the rest of the coaches.

They do it all the time.  Like how they credit Jim Chaney for Drew Brees, when Brees himself credits Greg Olsen.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ARtillahog

Quote from: Wildhog on July 11, 2014, 01:31:02 pm

AND THAT'S NOT TO SAY HE'S NOT A GREAT DEVELOPER OR EVALUATOR.

I'm just saying that he's not going up against the big dogs in Texas and winning recruiting battles.  It's just disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

Taver wasn't that great as a coach.  But he did seem to get kids to campus, just never really got them signed.

prattville pig

Quote from: Pork Twain on July 11, 2014, 01:30:16 pm

If you are not finishing 1st in individual recruiting battles, nobody cares about 2nd.

Huge statement
Life's too short to last long.

mhuff

Quote from: Pork Twain on July 11, 2014, 01:30:16 pm
Clearly on paper Taver and Jennings are not equal.  You don't have to admit it.  Fact is we got TCU's top recruiter, with deep Texass ties and that should be enough.  Far too early to say about Segrest, as he could turn out to be either the best recruiter we have ever had, the worst or something in the middle.

I believe that we got what we needed for Texas recruiting. Sounds very promising.    Louisiana as well.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Wildhog on July 11, 2014, 01:33:07 pm
They do it all the time.  Like how they credit Jim Chaney for Drew Brees, when Brees himself credits Greg Olsen.
That is after the fact, this is not

Wildhog

Oh, hell.  You can see for yourself.  This is who he signed as a lead recruiter:

2013- Cameron Echols-Luper=- 3-star ATH - beat some big programs
2012- no one
2011- no one
2010- no one
2009- Ty Horn - 3-star OL - beat out TTU, Kansas, Houston
2008- no one
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

AND I LIKE JENNINGS.

You guys have got to stop being so damn defensive about everything.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on July 11, 2014, 01:45:35 pm
AND I LIKE JENNINGS.

You guys have got to stop being so damn defensive about everything.

Maybe you need to be less offensive about everything, just saying. Ah, what I'm I thinking, continue on.....