Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thursday bits

Started by The Recruiting Guy, July 10, 2014, 01:20:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Huds_HawgTide

"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Richard Davenport on July 10, 2014, 01:20:29 am
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2014/jul/10/thursday-recruiting-tidbits-opening/

When I hear a player who says he is committed to a school say " I'm open" it kinda makes me not want us to recruit a guy like that. Guess I'm just an old guy who thinks a commitment should mean something.

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 10, 2014, 02:18:18 am
When I hear a player who says he is committed to a school say " I'm open" it kinda makes me not want us to recruit a guy like that. Guess I'm just an old guy who thinks a commitment should mean something.
You are not the only one! But I'm not complaining about snatching Joseph Robinson from FSU.. Or Otha Peters from Tenner.. Just hate it when it happens to us! Ironic huh?

ImHogginIt

Quote from: HogWildBison2011 on July 10, 2014, 03:54:20 am
You are not the only one! But I'm not complaining about snatching Joseph Robinson from FSU.. Or Otha Peters from Tenner.. Just hate it when it happens to us! Ironic huh?

I hope none of those guys ever went around telling reporters they were open when they were still committed.

Richard_white

He is probably open up his commitment because Miami has four RB's committed right now.

COCHISE

Why quit recruiting Mbanasor just because he committed to OU? Just being respectful? I'm assuming contact will continue at some point.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: COCHISE on July 10, 2014, 09:49:45 am
Why quit recruiting Mbanasor just because he committed to OU? Just being respectful? I'm assuming contact will continue at some point.

more likely that Jennings thinks it would be a waste of his time and resources....if he thought there was still a shot he would still be recruiting him, OU commit or not...there is no such thing as 'backing off out of respect'

The Recruiting Guy

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on July 10, 2014, 09:54:46 am
more likely that Jennings thinks it would be a waste of his time and resources....if he thought there was still a shot he would still be recruiting him, OU commit or not...there is no such thing as 'backing off out of respect'

Clay knows if something happens Arkansas will be in the hunt. You get to know the kid and recruit him in the way that gives you the best chance. P.J. Appreciates Clay backing off.
You might do that with other kids. He hasn't backed off of Jaylon Lane. Each kid is different.

SemperFi

As always, thanks for the updates RD. Hope that the Hogs can land some of these kids that are giving them a hard look.

Not part of your Thursday "tidbit's", but I'm shocked that there is no mention by KJ Hill about Arkansas in his top 5. Only listed Alabama, Florida and Oregon. Hope that we don't lose this kid, but it sure doesn't sound positive.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

MP24

A family member tweeted that Hill has a top five that includes Alabama, Florida and Oregon. The other two will be announced later.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2014/jul/10/kj-hill-has-top-play-opening/
January 01, 2019, 08:53:32 am »
I love me some Chelsea Dungee.

Wildhog

Quote from: MP24 on July 10, 2014, 11:17:42 am
A family member tweeted that Hill has a top five that includes Alabama, Florida and Oregon. The other two will be announced later.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2014/jul/10/kj-hill-has-top-play-opening/

AU and Arkansas/Ole Miss, I guess.

If he's not coming here, I wish he'd just go ahead and eliminate us.  I think the fan base would appreciate not being strung along all the way to NSD, or whenever he's announcing.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on July 10, 2014, 11:20:25 am

If he's not coming here, I wish he'd just go ahead and eliminate us.  I think the fan base would appreciate not being strung along all the way to NSD, or whenever he's announcing.

Absolutely agree with you on this, I don't but much into kid's top whatever list, much less a relative. When they say there is two, and we are one of them, then I get interested.

Polecat

So, one of these guys is visiting Ark and the others said they "might." Not sure we should get our hopes up too high on those guys IMO  :razorback:
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Richard Davenport on July 10, 2014, 10:01:48 am
Clay knows if something happens Arkansas will be in the hunt. You get to know the kid and recruit him in the way that gives you the best chance. P.J. Appreciates Clay backing off.
You might do that with other kids. He hasn't backed off of Jaylon Lane. Each kid is different.

agreed...pretty much exactly what I said...if Jennings thought we had a shot at this point, he would still be all over him...but as of now, we don't b/c the kid is firm to OU so why waste the time....if something happens with OU, I'm sure Jennings will be all over it

NLRHog92

My feeling is KJ has top 2 of Aubum and the Hogs. Kitty cats have been leading for awhile, but us having the entire offensive staff there for him went a long way. The ones announced on twitter are all teams that would be unique to play for and great teams, but ultimately not where he ends up. Still get a feeling it's AU, but hope I'm wrong. Tired of these NLR guys going to friggin Alabama

ifghog

Quote from: Wildhog on July 10, 2014, 11:20:25 am

Yep if an in-state kid doesn't want to come here they should just come out with it and say I am out. It makes it easier on everyone.

Oklahawg

I'd like to find the Auburn bagman who lives in Cent Ark. Follow him around for a while. Snap a pic, or two. :)
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Adam Stokes

Does anyone off the top of their head know as to whether we lose more guys that are committed to us then we gain from flipping others?  That would be a fun stat to look at.  Not sure what the best way would be to factor in the guys that the "staff told to look elsewhere" though.

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 10, 2014, 01:31:31 pm
I'd like to find the Auburn bagman who lives in Cent Ark. Follow him around for a while. Snap a pic, or two. :)

Hell, I'd like to find ours and tell him to get busy.

redeye

I'm surprised by how many vehicles I see with Auburn stickers on them in Little Rock.  Don't really know what that's about, but I'll guess they're Gus supporters.  It seems that most have kids in private schools, because they often have private school stickers, too.

redeye

Quote from: Adam Stokes on July 10, 2014, 01:52:42 pm
Does anyone off the top of their head know as to whether we lose more guys that are committed to us then we gain from flipping others?  That would be a fun stat to look at.  Not sure what the best way would be to factor in the guys that the "staff told to look elsewhere" though.

Off the top of my head, I'd say that we've flipped more then we've lost.  Can't think of many that we've lost over the years.

Bubba's Bruisers

I've always thought these comments are somewhat insulting to our instate recruits...Smiley face or not.  I'd at least wait to use this excuse AFTER he's signed an AU LOI.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

redeye

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 10, 2014, 03:58:45 pm

I've always thought these comments are somewhat insulting to our instate recruits...Smiley face or not.  I'd at least wait to use this excuse AFTER he's signed an AU LOI.

Are you kidding?

He's talking about Auburn.  When Auburn recruits you, it's insulting if you DON'T get paid!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: redeye on July 10, 2014, 04:16:57 pm
Are you kidding?

He's talking about Auburn.  When Auburn recruits you, it's insulting if you DON'T get paid!

I know exactly who he's talking about.  You see, It's a two way street, though.  The bagman still needs a kid to accept what's in the bag.  We typically aren't flattering of kids who don't play by the rules and take the payoff instead.  This kind of stuff suggests a kid like say Hill is on the take.  I know OH is certainly being somewhat facetious, but not completely. 

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Steef

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 10, 2014, 08:01:27 pm
I know exactly who he's talking about.  You see, It's a two way street, though.  The bagman still needs a kid to accept what's in the bag.  We typically aren't flattering of kids who don't play by the rules and take the payoff instead.  This kind of stuff suggests a kid like say Hill is on the take.  I know OH is certainly being somewhat facetious, but not completely.

Okla is suggesting that Auburn pays its players. Since that has historically been proven, its not exactly news.

And since KJ has not committed anywhere yet, Auburn's stigma does not apply to him.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: steefhog on July 10, 2014, 08:13:01 pm

Okla is suggesting that Auburn pays its players. Since that has historically been proven, its not exactly news.

And since KJ has not committed anywhere yet, Auburn's stigma does not apply to him.

I understand AU's history.  Goodness, people.  But OH seemingly extended the stigma to Hill.  I take it as a suggestion about Hill simply because he's supposedly been favoring AU.  Well, sure, he must be on the take then.  Sounds like Hill is getting paid.  Maybe we shouldn't take a chance with him now.

Steef

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 10, 2014, 08:26:34 pm
I understand AU's history.  Goodness, people.  But OH seemingly extended the stigma to Hill.  I take it as a suggestion about Hill simply because he's supposedly been favoring AU.  Well, sure, he must be on the take then.  Sounds like Hill is getting paid.  Maybe we shouldn't take a chance with him now.

Don't think he meant it that way.

redeye

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 10, 2014, 08:01:27 pm

I was kidding and took Oklahawg's comment that way, too.

Auburn's reputation speaks for itself.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: steefhog on July 10, 2014, 08:36:11 pm
Don't think he meant it that way.

Yeah, I'm sure he was speaking more generally, but we tend to say what we mean even when it's veiled in an attempt at facetiousness. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: redeye on July 10, 2014, 08:44:26 pm
I was kidding and took Oklahawg's comment that way, too.

Auburn's reputation speaks for itself.

No worries.

tophawg19

snap a neck or two
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

SamBuckhart

Thank you, Mr. Davenport. Appreciate the updates.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

hoglady

Malzahn will always be a thorn in our side for top in-state recruits.
He knows all the high school coaches and he obviously relates to these kids pretty well. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a decent season - if we have another bad one it's going to be really tough.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hawg_Thai'd

I hope our coaches are telling those Miami kids that the U is prime for having the hammer of justice fall down on them. They just had two players get kicked off and expelled for sexually assaulting a girl. This stuff is adding up and their program will suffer while ours is on the rise.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hoglady on July 10, 2014, 11:39:12 pm
Malzahn will always be a thorn in our side for top in-state recruits.
He knows all the high school coaches and he obviously relates to these kids pretty well. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a decent season - if we have another bad one it's going to be really tough.

Common sense post.

mhuff

Quote from: SemperFi on July 10, 2014, 11:02:08 am
As always, thanks for the updates RD. Hope that the Hogs can land some of these kids that are giving them a hard look.

Not part of your Thursday "tidbit's", but I'm shocked that there is no mention by KJ Hill about Arkansas in his top 5. Only listed Alabama, Florida and Oregon. Hope that we don't lose this kid, but it sure doesn't sound positive.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Hawg_Thai'd on July 11, 2014, 03:05:10 am
I hope our coaches are telling those Miami kids that the U is prime for having the hammer of justice fall down on them. They just had two players get kicked off and expelled for sexually assaulting a girl. This stuff is adding up and their program will suffer while ours is on the rise.
While I agree that the continued criminal behavior at the "U" obviously doesn't put them in a good light, what else is new, unfortunately as far as any NCAA or other sanctions or actions are concerned forget about it. The only way they'll be cleaned up is within and if (and when) their own administration and football staff get serious about eliminating the perpetual thuggish attitude and environment that's been allowed to fester at the school.

three hog night

The Arkansas kids have grown up in the inferiority complex we have, so they listen to a Bama or USC and get stars in their eyes.  We have sucked for 2 years and had way too much drama with Harley Gate, Smile and then CBB's first year with a divided fan base. 

We are going to have to re-build the program before kids like a KJ Hill will have pride that overcomes the glitz factor of Bama or USC. 
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

lefty08

Quote from: three hog night on July 11, 2014, 12:15:04 pm
The Arkansas kids have grown up in the inferiority complex we have, so they listen to a Bama or USC and get stars in their eyes.  We have sucked for 2 years and had way too much drama with Harley Gate, Smile and then CBB's first year with a divided fan base. 

We are going to have to re-build the program before kids like a KJ Hill will have pride that overcomes the glitz factor of Bama or USC.

2 whole years?  Thats a gamechanger...
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged