Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does Brandon Allen show noticeable improvement this year?

Started by popcornhog, July 10, 2014, 12:40:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Simple yes or no.

Yes
207 (84.1%)
No
39 (15.9%)

Total Members Voted: 243

popcornhog

I'd like to see a tally of who thinks he will show improvement versus who does not.

If he shows even modest improvement (and lack of injury) we easily win 6 last year -- with wins over LSU, RU, MSU, and possibly A&M. And this is ignoring the rest of the team.

Hell -- of the games mentioned above, RU is replaced with a comparably talented team, A&M is down, LSU may be improved defensively but lost Mettenberger, and A&M is almost unquestionably down. MSU should be improved.
WPS

Iwastherein1969

I voted "yes" because it would be very difficult to get worse, especially with all the coaching he's going to be getting this Fall camp....now do I think he's going to be what we need to win big in the SEC ?  An emphatic no. Do I think he will improve from last year ?  Again, he would have to try to be worse to actually be worse than he was last season.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

ZERO

Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Wild Bill Hog

I say yes.  A year's more experience under his belt, injury free (hopefully), more coaching by a staff that has personally seen him perform for a season, more maturity on BA's part all say noticeable improvement IMO.

HogWildBison2011

It would be hard to go lower than what occurred last season. I have faith in Brandon Allen. You can't completely blame him for what occurred last season, he did not have much help. If half of the dropped passes were caught we could have easily gone bowling. But the same could be said of his interceptions.

East Clintwood

Quote from: HogWildBison2011 on July 10, 2014, 03:43:15 am
It would be hard to go lower than what occurred last season. I have faith in Brandon Allen. You can't completely blame him for what occurred last season, he did not have much help. If half of the dropped passes were caught we could have easily gone bowling. But the same could be said of his interceptions.

You can, however, blame him for his stupid show-boating dive into the end zone that caused his injury.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Mike Irwin

Quote from: East Clintwood on July 10, 2014, 05:56:51 am
You can, however, blame him for his stupid show-boating dive into the end zone that caused his injury.
Brandon Allen is not a show boater. There's nothing in his long history as a quarterback in this part of the state that suggests anything like that. He was trying to score.
He did score. It was a fluke injury.

Al Boarland

Experience is the key. He will be improved. The questions is, what's his ceiling?

Pork Twain

Healthy and in year two of the new system.  I expect very solid play.

Showboating?  Cheap shot on your part.  He was trying to score and did.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

gmarv

yes i expect improvement out of ba. the real ???? is how much.
but that goes for all returning players on this team.

LZH

He didn't have to dive, but it damn sure wasn't showboating.  Had he stayed on his feet, that LB had a clear shot at him right at the goal line - it would have been a late hit, but close nonetheless.  So going low wasn't a bad move at all, it's just one of those weird injuries.

And yeah, I'm on record as saying that I think BA will have a breakout season....for no other reason than I just think he's talented and doesn't have your typical deer-in-the-headlights issues.  If his receivers will go after the damn ball a few times and make some plays in the very first game, then he'll realize that he CAN compete against the best of the best and that "holy crap I've gotta get rid of this football" thought pattern will fade.

When Petrino was still here and TW was the starter, a guy who's opinion I value alot got a peek at a few practices.  I asked him how Wilson looked, and he said "fine, but that Allen kid is the best QB on campus - we could go with him right now if we had to".  Other than a few boneheaded mistakes, I haven't seen anything since then that would suggest otherwise.

Now I'll admit that, like others, I've heard that if BA isn't getting it done by the Texas A&M game that BB is prepared to go with one of the others....which would suggest that the coaches' confidence in him isn't 100%.  Me personally, I believe that may have been overheard but probably was blown a little out of proportion.  I mean let's be realistic, no $3 million head coach is gonna hang his job on the line for a kid if he thinks he's got a better option standing next to him on the sideline.  But that's just me.

As a fan and a Monday morning QB, naturally I reserve the right to change my tune after the Auburn game, but I don't believe that will be necessary.  We won't win, and he'll probably get picked once or twice, but if he gets a little time and the WR's do their jobs, alot of the QB issues that we've been discussing over and over will be put to rest.

HF#1

Quote from: LZH on July 10, 2014, 08:10:30 am
He didn't have to dive, but it damn sure wasn't showboating.  Had he stayed on his feet, that LB had a clear shot at him right at the goal line - it would have been a late hit, but close nonetheless.  So going low wasn't a bad move at all, it's just one of those weird injuries.

And yeah, I'm on record as saying that I think BA will have a breakout season....for no other reason than I just think he's talented and doesn't have your typical deer-in-the-headlights issues.  If his receivers will go after the damn ball a few times and make some plays in the very first game, then he'll realize that he CAN compete against the best of the best and that "holy crap I've gotta get rid of this football" thought pattern will fade.

When Petrino was still here and TW was the starter, a guy who's opinion I value alot got a peek at a few practices.  I asked him how Wilson looked, and he said "fine, but that Allen kid is the best QB on campus - we could go with him right now if we had to".  Other than a few boneheaded mistakes, I haven't seen anything since then that would suggest otherwise.

Now I'll admit that, like others, I've heard that if BA isn't getting it done by the Texas A&M game that BB is prepared to go with one of the others....which would suggest that the coaches' confidence in him isn't 100%.  Me personally, I believe that may have been overheard but probably was blown a little out of proportion.  I mean let's be realistic, no $3 million head coach is gonna hang his job on the line for a kid if he thinks he's got a better option standing next to him on the sideline.  But that's just me.

As a fan and a Monday morning QB, naturally I reserve the right to change my tune after the Auburn game, but I don't believe that will be necessary.  We won't win, and he'll probably get picked once or twice, but if he gets a little time and the WR's do their jobs, alot of the QB issues that we've been discussing over and over will be put to rest.

Ever react to something that was never any of any harm to you?  I think Brandon fully expected to get hit on that TD run and reacted by diving.  It wasn't  because he was trying to showboat.

Brandon Allen was not the problem last season.  We actually got worse when was injured.  Noticeably worse.  We need better WR play and we need to catch accurately thrown balls.  We didn't have a reliable receiver. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Pork Twain

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on July 10, 2014, 08:21:04 am
Please tell me how an injury makes you throw it to the blue team instead of the Red team? Just saying.
If someone has to explain it to you, you probably would not get it.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ifghog

Great post sir. I fully agree with you on it all. +1

LZH

Quote from: HogFan#1 on July 10, 2014, 08:16:12 am
Ever react to something that was never any of any harm to you?  I think Brandon fully expected to get hit on that TD run and reacted by diving.  It wasn't  because he was trying to showboat.

If you look, #6 was squaring up and bending his knees, and #37 was coming in from his left.  BA definitely expected to be hit.  How that can be called showboating is beyond me.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9671916

RyeHogFan

July 10, 2014, 08:32:42 am #15 Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 08:56:34 am by RyeHogFan
I really think that Allen will be considerably better for numerous reasons, but the main two are 1) It's his second year in the system.  It's always difficult for a player coming into his first season as starter. It's even more difficult when it's with a whole new coaching staff. I believe now he is more comfortable with the offense and it'll show by production. 2) There should be much better WR play. Last year, I saw many drives halted by a dropped pass. Not that Allen or Derby put it right on the spot, but they were catchable nonetheless. In watching games during the Mallett era, you'll see that he wasn't always spot on. Sometimes receivers had to fall to the ground to catch a low pass or reach back to catch one thrown behind them, but they made the catch and the drive continued. I believe that our new receivers coming in along with Hatcher, Wilson, and Morgan will provide Allen with the reliability he needs to move those chains when the defense is keying on the run.

three hog night

I have heard the same thing and witnessed a few practices as well.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

three hog night

Please tell me how an injury makes you throw it to the blue team instead of the Red team? Just saying.

We get it, you don't like BA.   Your statement makes you look bad.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 

JIHawg

Granny fan

Strictly going by what I saw in the Spring game, I would have to say no.  However, he has been working on getting better at camps this summer, so will have to wait and see before I cast my vote.

RT1941

He's going to have a better oline - some top shelf RB's - 2nd year in system + injury free.  He will show much improvement, IMO.  Nowhere to go but ^^^
RazorTusk!!!!

LZH

Quote from: Granny fan on July 10, 2014, 09:17:13 am
Strictly going by what I saw in the Spring game, I would have to say no.  However, he has been working on getting better at camps this summer, so will have to wait and see before I cast my vote.

I don't watch alot of video like many guys on here do, but in just the one I posted above you can see that the receivers totally gave up on their patterns after initially being covered....and basically just stood there and watched BA run it in.  Now if I'm the QB and I've seen that six or eight times all while getting the hell knocked out of me because of it, I'm gonna be pissed....and say so in the huddle.  That's why I'm sticking up for the boy, because it isn't all on him.  Most?  Yeah, OK.  But not all.

Wildhog

He'd better, or we're in for another 3-4 win season.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

LZH

Quote from: Wildhog on July 10, 2014, 09:43:35 am
He'd better, or we're in for another 3-4 win season.

That, unfortunately, is quite true.

Defense, too.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on July 10, 2014, 09:44:29 am
That, unfortunately, is quite true.

Defense, too.

Obvious post being obvious, on the mark.

Killean

Considering the following..

EVERY   SINGLE   QUARTERBACK  at Arkansas in the SEC era that has played as a Sophomore has been significantly better as a junior.

EVERY SINGLE ONE.

I'd think it's easy to predict he'll have noticeable improvement.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

LZH

ldfergu

BA will also be a veteran QB compared to the rest of the SEC, hopefully that plays to his advantage

jgphillips3

He can't be as bad as he was last year, or at least I just don't want to think so, so I say yes.  Let's just hope it's enough to break 6 wins.  If the O line is improved, with our running game, he should almost look better by default.

Wildhog

I will say, it would be very difficult to NOT be better than last year.
1909/1964/1965/1977

LZH

Quote from: jgphillips3 on July 10, 2014, 10:02:46 am
He can't be as bad as he was last year, or at least I just don't want to think so, so I say yes.  Let's just hope it's enough to break 6 wins.  If the O line is improved, with our running game, he should almost look better by default.

I look at it this way - there's no doubt that he's got more natural talent than Casey Dick.  Casey was a hell of a competitor and when our running game was clicking he did a fine job.  Same deal with BA.  If we get our running game to where BB wants it and real WR or two, then BA basically just has to keep his foot on the gas and don't throw it to the other team.  It's not too hard to predict a good season if that happens.

tbhogfan

Being healthy and having a significantly improved group of WR's should help Brandon out quite a bit this year. 

And as mentioned before, QB's tend to really come into their own their Jr years.   

Another thing that should help is having significantly better backups.    Nothing like getting pushed for your job to make you step it up.
Go Hogs!

RazorPiggie

Not sure if serious.

jgphillips3

Quote from: LZH on July 10, 2014, 10:06:58 am
I look at it this way - there's no doubt that he's got more natural talent than Casey Dick.  Casey was a hell of a competitor and when our running game was clicking he did a fine job.  Same deal with BA.  If we get our running game to where BB wants it and real WR or two, then BA basically just has to keep his foot on the gas and don't throw it to the other team.  It's not too hard to predict a good season if that happens.

Exactly.  He threw a pretty nice ball at times before the injury.  If he just gets that zip back and stops staring down receivers (a very fixable problem) then we should be competitive this year with the three headed monster at running back.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

three hog night

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

wholehog92

I voted yes.

Couple of reasons:

1.  It would be tough to do worse and maintain the starting job.
2.  I think the kid has the physical talent to be very good.  Since he's putting in work in the off season and will be more familiar with the system, it makes sense he would improve to some degree.

That doesn't mean I think he's the correct answer for us at QB.  I'm not sure he has the mentality it takes at this point.  The alternative is we don't have the right coach developing him.  There's no reason a red shirt soph couldn't be more ready to play.  I don't buy that the shoulder was still plaguing him late in the season.  Even in the first game he wasn't setting the world on fire against sisters of the poor.

I do believe he likely looks very good in practice.  I think he's the anti Matt Jones.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

LZH

Quote from: jgphillips3 on July 10, 2014, 10:33:29 am
Exactly.  He threw a pretty nice ball at times before the injury.  If he just gets that zip back and stops staring down receivers (a very fixable problem) then we should be competitive this year with the three headed monster at running back.

It's just a bad habit that guys get.  And actually the way the play is designed or how the QB is taught to read his keys can actually make it worse in a way.  By trying to simplify your QB's reads sometimes, that might make him naturally wanna peek in on that read from the get go - instead of setting up and then finding his read (which is hard btw).

But yeah, it's certainly fixable.

1highhog

Show boating?  He tried to score, did score, but not in a good manner, no show boating there to see.

jabohog

The biggest improvement I want to see in BA is in his pshyci. When he makes a bad play, and it's going to happen at some point, and the bad play is all on him, he needs to not get down and take the team with him. Rather, he needs to come back and he and his team mates need to over come and kick some butt. Oklahawg alluded to this in another thread about the team in general.

Hook 'em Hogs

He'll improve.

On a side note, I'm glad several people have mentioned that he wasn't show boating. Having watched the game, the clip numerous times, it's always been clear to me that he didn't dive pointlessly.

MJ2

He will improve due to age and knowledge of the game and honing of his skills.    The big unknown is whether the play design and calling will work to his strengths.    You have to use the talented backs we have in several ways and that includes letting Brandon dump the ball to them and let them make plays.   IMO it's up to the staff to make this a successful offensive year - the players are there- use them!

litmachog

GuvHog

"Will" he be improved is not the issue here. He MUST be improved, no doubt about it. This guy is a Junior so there is no treason for him not to be improved. If he does not improve, it's going to be another long season in Fayetteville.

No, he didn't showboat.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

thefisher

You may not have read a recent quote from Chaney about a pic 6 BA threw last year.

The guys announcing the game, and many on MMQB, were railing on BA over the inaccuracy of his throw.  Recently Chaney said that was absolutely false.  BA threw the ball exactly where the receiver was supposed to be. The problem was that the receiver ran an out cut instead if an in. In essence he cut right and was supposed to cut left. BA threw the ball where the receiver should have been when he made the cut. However, since he went the wrong way no one was home but a defender to pic it and 6 it.

One more reason BA will look much better this year. He and the receivers have had a year to get on the same page ... AND ACTUALLY RUN THE SAME PATTERNS ON THE SAME PLAY!
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

cosmodrum

If he looks like Brandon in the LSU game and 2nd half of the spring game, then yes. It would be hard for him not to be better if he's 100% healthy.
Go away, batin'

bphi11ips

A healthy program looks to upper classmen to fill the QB slot as a general rule:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Tolzien

This is why Bielema stuck with BA last year.  He's trying to build something here. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Big Poppa Z

I think he'll be "better" until something goes wrong.

Then, I expect him to fold up like a cheap card table.

The problem wasn't only physical injury.