Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC media days reps...

Started by confirmed25, July 09, 2014, 12:12:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

confirmed25

Since there is so much going on right now.....what does everyone think about bielema's media day selections? I understand the premise of taking seniors. However, I may have opted for HH and AC or Jwill over brey and turner. Not that they don't deserve it. There is just more name recognition with the others.

Poker_hog

Maybe he's using it as motivation for theses guys to take on more of a leadership role.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

ricepig

Nah, bring your SRs, it's a nice reward for staying 4/5 years.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on July 09, 2014, 12:45:28 pm
Nah, bring your SRs, it's a nice reward for staying 4/5 years.

AGREE. It should always be seniors. Heck they should be allowed to take the whole senior class.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hoglady

Doesn't matter to me who he takes.
He's the coach, these are his players - he's the best to judge who deserves to go and who will best represent the team and the University.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

RyeHogFan

They were having a great big ole gripe-fest about this last night on DTS, saying that Bielema should have put people out there with more commercial appeal, more nationally known guys. My thing is, we have to ask a question here...Does Bielema care more about public relations or personal relationships? I believe it to be the latter. If he really held public relations in a higher regard, then he would have taken Collins, Williams, and Flowers. But instead he sent Cook, Turner, and Flowers. All three are seniors who have given their all for this university for 4 years. Bielema is sending a message that if you work hard for this team, and stick it out for the long haul, he'll reward ya. This is also seen in his rewarding of scholarships to walk-ons. I love that he sent these three. Let the other teams send their superstars. Bielema values loyalty and hard work.

Uncommon

July 09, 2014, 01:52:36 pm #6 Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 03:19:04 pm by Uncommon
You take Seniors every year.  There shouldn't be a question about it.  They deserve to go considering all the hardships they've gone through especially after the past two years.  The question is, will Brey Cook, Trey Flowers, and Alan Turner all be captains this upcoming year as well?

I think they will and it seems to me Coach Bielema likes to have two offensive players and two defensive players as captains.  So it would be Brey Cook, Trey Flowers, Alan Turner, and take your pick of the 7 remaining senior offensive players (my rank of who I think should get it):
1. OL Cameron Jefferson
2. WR Demetrius Wilson
3. TE AJ Derby
4. OL Luke Charpentier
5. FB Patrick Arinze
6. OL Johnathan McClure
7. OL Chris Stringer

Mike Irwin

SEC Media Days has nothing to do with winning games, motivating players or getting ready for the season. It's a publicity tool. Period.

Some coaches take advantage of it and bring their high profile players in to sell their program to the media (and on to the fans). Some could not care less.

When you bring Alan Turner and Brey Cook with you you're not going to generate much publicity (outside of your own media who is going to do stories on whoever you put in front of them). However the non Arkansas media doesn't give a crap about a team that is expected to finish last in the West so who you bring with you is probably not a huge deal to them anyway.

I would have brought Jonathan Williams and Brandon Allen along with Flowers to help sell some tickets (empty seats do matter) but I'm not the coach.

Uncommon

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 09, 2014, 02:28:22 pm
I would have brought Jonathan Williams and Brandon Allen along with Flowers to help sell some tickets (empty seats do matter) but I'm not the coach.
I don't think anything that occurs at SEC Media Days sells tickets.  I believe what sells tickets is how you did the previous year, the expectations of the next season, and who is coming to Fayetteville this season.  Just my opinion.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Uncommon on July 09, 2014, 02:39:08 pm
I don't think anything that occurs at SEC Media Days sells tickets.  I believe what sells tickets is how you did the previous year, the expectations of the next season, and who is coming to Fayetteville this season.  Just my opinion.
It'll sell some preseason tickets if you do it right. Obviously your W-L record is the always the biggest factor.

SEC Media days is a TV event and no question it helps boost ratings for opening weekend six weeks later. Coverage of preseason practices does this too.

Uncommon

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 09, 2014, 02:50:35 pm
It'll sell some preseason tickets if you do it right. Obviously your W-L record is the always the biggest factor.

SEC Media days is a TV event and no question it helps boost ratings for opening weekend six weeks later. Coverage of preseason practices does this too.
I just think after last year when Coach Bielema came in there confident about his team and then went winless, most fans are going to take anything positive he says with a grain of salt and stay in the gloom and doom phase.

It seems like every some sort of discussion on here has a common solution to it and that is winning more games.  I have the Hogs at 4-1 when they play Alabama at home so hopefully:
A. My prediction is correct.

B. We get some 2010 atmosphere going for that game.

Big Papa Satan

SEC Media days is a TV event

As well as a freak show due to the Gumps attending.

Big Papa Satan

SEC Media days is a TV event

As well as a freak show due to the Gumps attending.

azhog10

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 09, 2014, 02:28:22 pm
A lot of what you say makes sense. This however seems to be a little foolish. Not a lot of people even watch, or listen to SEC Media Days as it is because it's just that. It's for the Media. Most of what people will see are snippets of video of the coach talking and an interview or two. Arkansas media as it is will be doing plenty of those when the practices begin so thinking you will generate tickets off SEC Media day when your team didn't get a SEC win last year is a really far fetched idea and the only people who would think that are those that are involved with the media.

Cave City Joe

I have no problem with Coach's choice of players.  I like it that he only takes seniors.  It's a nice reward for sticking around.
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

Mike Irwin

Quote from: azhog10 on July 09, 2014, 06:13:28 pm
A lot of what you say makes sense. This however seems to be a little foolish. Not a lot of people even watch, or listen to SEC Media Days as it is because it's just that. It's for the Media. Most of what people will see are snippets of video of the coach talking and an interview or two. Arkansas media as it is will be doing plenty of those when the practices begin so thinking you will generate tickets off SEC Media day when your team didn't get a SEC win last year is a really far fetched idea and the only people who would think that are those that are involved with the media.
It's not far fetched at all. The problem with most message board posters is they think the average fan thinks like they do. They don't. They are not as plugged in. A four day blitz of football coverage is a reminder...hey, the season is just around the corner.

Do you think they have media days just to give the media something to do? If you do you don't know much about the way the conference and the member schools work. They're doing this for them, not us.

If what we see on TV didn't help sell a product there would be no TV. A private business will pay top dollar to put commercials on the local TV news. The SEC and schools like Arkansas get that exposure for free. If they're smart they take advantage of it.

southeasthog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 09, 2014, 08:48:25 pm
It's not far fetched at all. The problem with most message board posters is they think the average fan thinks like they do. They don't. They are not as plugged in. A four day blitz of football coverage is a reminder...hey, the season is just around the corner.

Do you think they have media days just to give the media something to do? If you do you don't know much about the way the conference and the member schools work. They're doing this for them, not us.

If what we see on TV didn't help sell a product there would be no TV. A private business will pay top dollar to put commercials on the local TV news. The SEC and schools like Arkansas get that exposure for free. If they're smart they take advantage of it.

I thought you were off base but this makes a lot of sense.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

Quote from: confirmed25 on July 09, 2014, 12:12:28 pm
Since there is so much going on right now.....what does everyone think about bielema's media day selections? I understand the premise of taking seniors. However, I may have opted for HH and AC or Jwill over brey and turner. Not that they don't deserve it. There is just more name recognition with the others.

bielema is spelled Coach Bielema and I'm not typically a spelling Nazi.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

Ramtough

Its not really a big deal anyway for us. Everyone wants to see Saban, Miles, Richt and Spurrier. The big name coaches and the schools that are picked to finish near the top.

DoctorSusscrofa

I care a little about the players and coaches, but care not at all for the media. Hence, media days are a big yawn.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Carl Lazlo

Yup.  Bunch of no nothing ex nerd water boys asking redundant questions that annoy most everyone.  Steve Spurrier usually puts them in their place. Pass on that mess. 

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on July 10, 2014, 02:27:25 pm
Yup.  Bunch of no nothing ex nerd water boys asking redundant questions that annoy most everyone.  Steve Spurrier usually puts them in their place. Pass on that mess.
You are wrong. These days it's a bunch of 5'-11" 22 year old girls in 3" platform shoes asking the questions. They show up looking like they are going to the prom. Most of them seem to be trying to get noticed by the ESPN people.

Huds_HawgTide

i would take J Will, A Collins, and K Marshall...pump up the best running trio since McFadden, Jones, and Hillis...that would of turned heads
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

ricepig

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 10, 2014, 06:41:55 pm
You are wrong. These days it's a bunch of 5'-11" 22 year old girls in 3" platform shoes asking the questions. They show up looking like they are going to the prom. Most of them seem to be trying to get noticed by the ESPN people.

Need any extra help with the equipment?

Hawgzinbowlz

Congratulations to Mr. Flowers, Mr. Cook and Mr. Turner, for being chosen to represent The Hogs.

" GO HOGS "

SamBuckhart

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 10, 2014, 06:41:55 pm
Nothing wrong with the ladies plying their wares. Probably more entertaining than watching Whisperin Miles drivel on about anything.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Augustus

I'm good with who Coach is taking.

I can see the possible benefit of taking more noteworthy, younger players (Jwill, Henry, or even Collins), with the possibility that a non-Arkansas media member may bang out a story...

But, like many others have posted, I kinda agree with taking Seniors.  Especially these Seniors, who have been through quite a lot during their tenure here.

Kind of like a rite of passage kinda thing? 

Plus, that sort of policy helps to ensure an upper classman doesn't feel slighted if a freshman gets taken to Media Days instead of them, no?

redeye

Quote from: ricepig on July 10, 2014, 07:11:40 pm

I'd even promise to be quiet, but I couldn't promise that I wouldn't drool a little.

PorkRinds

Wear an espn polo, forge a media credential, and bang hotties for days!

Carl Lazlo

http://gamedayr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/florida-gators-2013-sec-media-days-11.jpg

Four total girls out of 200 nerds.  I can see how they'd be intimidated by the few female journalists.  For starters the lack of social interaction with good looking women. 

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on July 11, 2014, 12:56:12 am
http://gamedayr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/florida-gators-2013-sec-media-days-11.jpg

Four total girls out of 200 nerds.  I can see how they'd be intimidated by the few female journalists.  For starters the lack of social interaction with good looking women.
That's the so called "big room" where the sportswriters hang out. Sportswriting is not glamorous enough nor does it pay enough to attract the type of person I'm talking about.

There are also three TV rooms, a radio room and an Internet room. That's where you'll find the girls in platform shoes asking questions like, "What was name of your favorite childhood pet?"

LZH

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 11, 2014, 05:04:40 am
That's the so called "big room" where the sportswriters hang out. Sportswriting is not glamorous enough nor does it pay enough to attract the type of person I'm talking about.

There are also three TV rooms, a radio room and an Internet room. That's where you'll find the girls in platform shoes asking questions like, "What was name of your favorite childhood pet?"

Who are these gals working for?  Local TV stations?

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: ricepig on July 10, 2014, 07:11:40 pm

That's a pretty personal question, isn't it?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: LZH on July 11, 2014, 05:13:36 am
Who are these gals working for?  Local TV stations?
I was told that many of them are student interns. The TV stations send them to Media Days with orders to come back with non traditional content.

TV consultants are constantly trying to figure out a way to get non sports fans interested in sports. So they do this stuff.

I don't care if they do it on their own time but at Media Days we're all thrown in a room together. It only takes a couple of these people to turn a 15 minute session with a coach or player into a waste of time.

I guess the only good thing about Arkansas being at the bottom right now is Bielema and his players don't attract much attention. So they don't get a lot of dopey questions.

Last year there wasn't one decent thing to mention about Les Miles time in the room. He's goofy anyway and whatever was talked about had nothing to do with LSU football.

Carl Lazlo

Like I said earlier.  The redundant questions get old.  Camp hasn't started yet. There's just not much to talk about.  ie We're working hard this summer on strength and conditioning, we got guys returning at this position and are hoping freshman can help in certain areas, blah blah blah. Don't be jealous a few ladies are getting some attention.

supersaint

I cancelled my ticket order after I saw who's they were taking to media days.  :puke:
There's no sense in nonsense when the heat is hot.

LZH

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 11, 2014, 07:11:11 am
I was told that many of them are student interns. The TV stations send them to Media Days with orders to come back with non traditional content.

Great.  TMZ has invaded the SEC.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on July 11, 2014, 11:40:26 am
Like I said earlier.  The redundant questions get old.  Camp hasn't started yet. There's just not much to talk about.  ie We're working hard this summer on strength and conditioning, we got guys returning at this position and are hoping freshman can help in certain areas, blah blah blah. Don't be jealous a few ladies are getting some attention.
You'd make a good TV consultant. That's how they think. Reporters that take your attitude to media day come away with the kind of fluff you're resigned to.

On other hand anytime you do a job there's a chance to do it right.