Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Received this email from my T. Tech buddy . . .

Started by WizardofhOgZ, July 09, 2014, 11:14:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

Apparently, it is making the rounds among Tech fans.

I am unfamiliar with the Rock City Times . . . not particularly funny, nor creative, IMO.

http://www.rockcitytimes.com/razorbacks-mascot-hunting-cheerleader/

Hogarusa

Rock City Times is a satiracal Arkansas web site.  They are generally pretty funny
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Ā 

ricepig

Quote from: lowberh on July 09, 2014, 11:25:51 am
Rock City Times is a satiracal Arkansas web site.  They are generally pretty funny

They missed badly on the funny part on this one.

SquidBilly

Would have been funnier without the PETA and gun control references.

King TUSKankahamun

I found it comical given the bug uproar over that girl. Found it even more comical that some people believed it was true
Self proclaimed dead King of Hogville

RBLtoHOG

I see idiots sharing stories on FB from there thinking they are true.

You can't fix stupid.
In any fight, life or football, its the guy who is willing to die who will win that inch. If I'm gonna have any life anymore its because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch....because, that's what living is!

BorderPatrol

Wow, I can't believe folks actually believed this. And I can't even begin to imagine why folks are in an uproar about this.

I mean, come on. It is satire.

bp

WizardofhOgZ

July 09, 2014, 11:52:43 am #7 Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:49:58 pm by WizardofhOgZ
Rock City Times is a satiracal Arkansas web site. 

That much was pretty obvious.  I didn't have to be familiar with the site to see what it was trying to do.  It's the "funny" part that they missed on this one. 

I'm as up for good, clever satire as just about anyone.  This one . . . was neither, IMO.

Hogarusa

Quote from: ricepig on July 09, 2014, 11:33:29 am
They missed badly on the funny part on this one.

I actually thought they hit it out of the park, but not everyone's sense of humor is the same. 

The people on Facebook that are asking if it's true are married, have kids, employed, and vote.  Think about that

arkbadger

Quote from: Bret Squealema on July 09, 2014, 11:39:29 am
Would have been funnier without the PETA and gun control references.

I'm not sure since PETA and gun control freaks are generally awful people
You can keep that skoal baby.

SquidBilly

Quote from: arkbadger on July 09, 2014, 11:55:10 am
I'm not sure since PETA and gun control freaks are generally awful people

Agreed they are awful and I don't find them funny at all.  I too am a bit surprised that one of our redneck fans hasn't taken a shot at Tusk over the years.

LZH

Isn't that the website that had the London Times reprinting a 'story' about a man eating 400 hamburgers or something like that?

LZH

Ā 

oxbaker

I would like to offer my condolences as a member of a fan base who knows the pain of losing a beloved University tradition to the shenanigans of a rival fan base.  Stay strong hog friends and keep your heads up. :'( 

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: LZH on July 09, 2014, 12:14:49 pm
Isn't that the website that had the London Times reprinting a 'story' about a man eating 400 hamburgers or something like that?

Yes, and it had doctors in china believing the red lobster cheddar biscuit story.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

ricepig

Quote from: lowberh on July 09, 2014, 11:55:02 am
I actually thought they hit it out of the park, but not everyone's sense of humor is the same. 

The people on Facebook that are asking if it's true are married, have kids, employed, and vote.  Think about that

Why would one be on Facebook?

Hogarusa

Quote from: ricepig on July 09, 2014, 12:24:39 pm
Why would one be on Facebook?

In general?  To complain about the world, politics, Obama, and people OR to brag about the good parts of their life OR to connect with friends and family OR to post pics of food and their children

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: lowberh on July 09, 2014, 11:55:02 am

I'm married, one son, employed, vote and am on Facebook occasionally yet I recognize satire when I see it and laugh. It isn't always right or smart to generalize or stereotype.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: lowberh on July 09, 2014, 12:48:22 pm
In general?  To complain about the world, politics, Obama, and people OR to brag about the good parts of their life OR to connect with friends and family OR to post pics of food and their children

My friends already know my thoughts and feelings. I figure the ones who post questioning this article's validity, have more important issues at hand.

LZH

When I first got on facebook I posted something almost every day....usually music, or pics and stories of trips, etc.  This went on for about six months and one morning I noticed that someone very close to me had obviously been drinking and posted something the night before that I'm sure she regretted.  With the exception of responding to something a friend writes or checking out my company page, I have stayed away ever since.

It's bad enough to do it on here, but posting something that all of your family and friends are gonna see..........ugh [shudder].  Another reason that I'm so glad I don't drink like I used to.

LittlePigMan

I had been following the cheerleader story so I thought the gist of it was funny but the writing fell kinda flat.  Especially the last couple of paragraphs.

Hogarusa

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 09, 2014, 12:52:55 pm
I'm married, one son, employed, vote and am on Facebook occasionally yet I recognize satire when I see it and laugh. It isn't always right or smart to generalize or stereotype.

Hmmm, I think you may have misinterpreted what I said. Not sure what you thought I was generalizing or stereotyping. That's ok. 

If it helps, I was making fun of folks who are incapable of understanding what satire is. 

secfan30

ncrebel

Quote from: oxbaker on July 09, 2014, 12:20:26 pm
I would like to offer my condolences as a member of a fan base who knows the pain of losing a beloved University tradition to the shenanigans of a rival fan base.  Stay strong hog friends and keep your heads up. :'( 

This response is 100 times funnier than the article.  Man, I love satire but that one sucked the big one.  Makes me wonder if Robert Shields is now writing for Rock City Times.
Well, y'all need me, I'll be putting pictures of my arse on the internet.

Ā 

Hoggish1

PorkSoda

Quote from: BorderPatrol on July 09, 2014, 11:46:11 am
Wow, I can't believe folks actually believed this. And I can't even begin to imagine why folks are in an uproar about this.

I mean, come on. It is satire.

bp
well it is a poor attempt at best.  I hope they didn't quit their day jobs...
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ā€• Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." ā€“ Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

DLUXHOG

Y'all been to Lubbock?  Fayetteville is literally the garden of Eden(as it is to most of the rest of the world) compared to Lubbock...  Get over it as they have nothing better to do....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Hog N Bama

Cave City Joe

I thought it was pretty funny, but then again people do say I have a weird sense of humor
"When you're part of a team, you stand up for your teammates. Your loyalty is to them. You protect them through good and bad, because they'd do the same for you."  <br />Yogi Berra

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on July 09, 2014, 11:14:49 am
Apparently, it is making the rounds among Tech fans.

I am unfamiliar with the Rock City Times . . . not particularly funny, nor creative, IMO.

http://www.rockcitytimes.com/razorbacks-mascot-hunting-cheerleader/

Asinine article.
Go Hogs Go!

Speedracer

Like smites bother me.

Hogwild

this wasn't one of there better ones

MrThunderhog

how are the trees at toomers corner? were they able to save them?
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

Tom in Fort Worth

It was funny.  I don't mind Tech as a team. Fans are pretty rough though. Not as bad as LSU fans, but not far from it.

root_hawg

I have seen articles from this "news" site before; pretty much the dumbest thing on the internet

oxbaker

Quote from: MrThunderhog on July 09, 2014, 07:37:03 pm
how are the trees at toomers corner? were they able to save them?
Yes the trees were able to be saved, they are just in the form of small laminated coasters on true AUBURN fan's coffee tables now. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: oxbaker on July 09, 2014, 09:58:32 pm
Yes the trees were able to be saved, they are just in the form of small laminated coasters on true AUBURN fan's coffee tables now.
What did y'all do to the damn bird ???

LRHawg

I thought it was pretty funny, but not their best. The one about ceelo green after Riverfest was comedy genius.

FreshHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 09, 2014, 12:52:55 pm

You realize he wasn't sterotyping right? He was stating how crazy it is that someone so stupid that they don't realize its a satire, are doing all of those things which one would assume requires a bit more intelligence then they showed by believing said story.

Basically he's saying its scary that the people too slow to realize its a satire are also parenting this country's youth, and voting on the leaders of our nation lol.

Smokehouse

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on July 09, 2014, 11:52:43 am
That much was pretty obvious.  I didn't have to be familiar with the site to see what it was trying to do.  It's the "funny" part that they missed on this one. 

I'm as up for a good, clever satire as just about anyone.  This one . . . was neither, IMO.

Rock City Times is generally pretty funny. Given that there is a Texas Tech cheerleader who hunts big game who the internet has been hotly debating (for some reason) lately, and we have a live mascot, it may have been low-hanging fruit but it's still a decent joke.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

buldozer

No humor in any of that dribble..... written by a gun control elitist, animal rights loving razorback hater.....  big wooop

BorderPatrol

Quote from: buldozer on July 10, 2014, 09:12:45 am
No humor in any of that dribble..... written by a gun control elitist, animal rights loving razorback hater.....  big wooop

HUH?

bp

arkbadger

Quote from: buldozer on July 10, 2014, 09:12:45 am

I bet you're a ton of fun at parties
You can keep that skoal baby.

HogRedTilImDead

I kinda wanna use this as a sig line...
GO HOGS!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: FreshHog on July 09, 2014, 11:14:17 pm
You realize he wasn't sterotyping right? He was stating how crazy it is that someone so stupid that they don't realize its a satire, are doing all of those things which one would assume requires a bit more intelligence then they showed by believing said story.

Basically he's saying its scary that the people too slow to realize its a satire are also parenting this country's youth, and voting on the leaders of our nation lol.

Kind of a stereotype in and of itself isn't it......................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

You mean they didn't make toilet paper out of them? Just kidding....................It really was a sad thing to kill those trees simply over sports.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: arkbadger on July 10, 2014, 11:09:46 am

I bet you're a ton of fun at parties

Only in New York City, Chicago or San Francisco................................

DeltaBoy

This girl lives near my town and she is a real hunting ,cheerleading and pretty nice young lady. Check out her articles online at the Cleburne Times Review.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PygmalionEffect

I'm confused.  The byline at the bottom of the article for Jordan King said that he spent his time writing things that people enjoyed reading.

So who actually wrote the article?
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Y'all should have some big assed bronze trees put up on toomers corner and roll the crap (pun intended) out of them when you Beat Bama next...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.