Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can you see Arkansas State winning out into a major bowl in the future?

Started by Ben, July 09, 2014, 10:46:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

ASU has been doing exceptionally well in recent years. With the new bowl system, a G5 school now can play in a major bowl game. Could asu play themselves into one within the next 10 years? Or are the other G5 teams like NIU and fresno too powerful?
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Ben

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 09, 2014, 11:06:13 am
This is a joke right?..................................
Not really. You seen the new major bowl system? The 5 champions of the G5 conferences will all have a shot at an automatic bid to one of the major bowl games, depending on whos the best out of the 5. Asu winning sun belt already puts them in the discussion, where as before it just meant another godaddy bowl. Whos to say if they go 10-2 again and the MWC and AAC arent up to par that they can do it.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.

Seminole Indian

Their stated goal is to be the best G5 program in America. Certainly not there, but if they achieve that goal, or probably even if they are in the top 10 G5's,  it is certainly not impossible, that everything could fall right and they could make a major bowl, if the P5's cannot fill their spots.

Very, very close to a Liberty Bowl invite the year before last, and while not a major bowl, a big step up.

This is the only article I have read about the chances of  a G5 making it to the playoffs.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/03/10/college-football-playoff-mid-majors

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

The Boar War

Well I guess it depends on what you mean by a major bowl.  As long as they're in the Sun Belt I can't see them getting a better bowl than the Kraft or New Orleans bowl, maybe Liberty.  We have to remember that these are unprecedented times for ASU.  Eventually they will even out.

Teams can play the coaching carousel for a while and ASU has had some success with it.  Tulsa also had success in basketball.  It goes well when you have Hugh Freeze handing off the reigns to Gus Malazahn. MLet's see what happens with the lesser known coaches.

Ben

Quote from: The Boar War on July 09, 2014, 03:14:21 pm
Well I guess it depends on what you mean by a major bowl.  As long as they're in the Sun Belt I can't see them getting a better bowl than the Kraft or New Orleans bowl, maybe Liberty.  We have to remember that these are unprecedented times for ASU.  Eventually they will even out.

Teams can play the coaching carousel for a while and ASU has had some success with it.  Tulsa also had success in basketball.  It goes well when you have Hugh Freeze handing off the reigns to Gus Malazahn. MLet's see what happens with the lesser known coaches.
well you know theres 6 bowls that switch yearly in the playoffs. The ones that arent played as semifinals are the ones the top non-playoff teams and the best G5 team get to play in. The best g5 team gets a shot at either the fiesta, peach, or cotton bowl (now its returned back to major bowl status). So if asu can out perform the other G5 schools, they are guaranteed an automatic bid to those bowls.

That coach carousel did help asu, but for the longest, asu just needed a legitimate coach. In the 90s they had nobodies for coaches. Roberts estabilished some ground with the recruits and was the foundation to the success asu has had. Btw, brian anderson is rarely heard but hes no slouch. He sets school records everywhere he goes. Hell he was the mastermind behind the 12-1 So Miss team a few years ago. We will see though

Seminole Indian

Quote from: The Boar War on July 09, 2014, 03:14:21 pm

I disagree only because  I go by recruiting, then where the game is played, and then coaching ,and right now ASU is recruiting  better than it did under Roberts, Freeze , Malzahn or Harsin.

They are also committed to trying to play 6 games at home every year, and they are able, because of the three previous staffs, to attract the best coaching staff in the SBC.

The SBC (the best non-aq conference last year, and 2nd the year before), with the addition of App St and GaSo, joining the likes of Troy, UL will not be a cake walk, but ASU is showing that it can attract athletes and coaches like no other SBC team can (and are retaining the athletes better than any SBC team, and most FBS teams), and they are  now adding the facilities (most schools throw millions into those first in the hopes of winning).

Sure there will be down years, but ASU has already established itself as one of the better G5 programs, and I look for that to continue, and if fact to get better, for a lot of real, tangible reasons.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

PorkRinds

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 09, 2014, 06:46:57 pm
I disagree only because  I go by recruiting, then where the game is played, and then coaching ,and right now ASU is recruiting  better than it did under Roberts, Freeze , Malzahn or Harsin.

They are also committed to trying to play 6 games at home every year, and they are able, because of the three previous staffs, to attract the best coaching staff in the SBC.

The SBC (the best non-aq conference last year, and 2nd the year before), with the addition of App St and GaSo, joining the likes of Troy, UL will not be a cake walk, but ASU is showing that it can attract athletes and coaches like no other SBC team can (and are retaining the athletes better than any SBC team, and most FBS teams), and they are  now adding the facilities (most schools throw millions into those first in the hopes of winning).

Sure there will be down years, but ASU has already established itself as one of the better G5 programs, and I look for that to continue, and if fact to get better, for a lot of real, tangible reasons.

Still not a fan i see.

Seminole Indian

That is right.

Just been fun the last few years discussing with all the posters here that have gone out of their way argue that the improved talent I noticed going to ASU, would not lead to more success.

Think most reject the idea that schools with more talent win more.

I do understand why many of them hope that's true.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Ben on July 09, 2014, 05:31:18 pm
well you know theres 6 bowls that switch yearly in the playoffs. The ones that arent played as semifinals are the ones the top non-playoff teams and the best G5 team get to play in. The best g5 team gets a shot at either the fiesta, peach, or cotton bowl (now its returned back to major bowl status). So if asu can out perform the other G5 schools, they are guaranteed an automatic bid to those bowls.

That coach carousel did help asu, but for the longest, asu just needed a legitimate coach. In the 90s they had nobodies for coaches. Roberts estabilished some ground with the recruits and was the foundation to the success asu has had. Btw, brian anderson is rarely heard but hes no slouch. He sets school records everywhere he goes. Hell he was the mastermind behind the 12-1 So Miss team a few years ago. We will see though

It is always ALL about the coach and even more so at smaller programs. Nobody around here knew anything about their current coach until he got the job either. That doesn't mean he and any successor will do good. He may do great and he may not.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Ben

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 10, 2014, 06:49:03 am
It is always ALL about the coach and even more so at smaller programs. Nobody around here knew anything about their current coach until he got the job either. That doesn't mean he and any successor will do good. He may do great and he may not.
Yes thats why i said we will see. When i say nobodys, i mean people who had really no coaching accolades what so ever. Joe hollis, al kincaid, and john bobo didn have near as much merit on the college level as freeze, malzahn, and harsin. Anderson has set records at the schools hes been to and its enough to maybe somewhat think he will do ok. Only time will tell

Seminole Indian

Don't remember which ultra successful coach said it,but when he was publically being patted on the back, he said that winning a game at the at the college level was 80% talent, 10-15% where the game was being played, and 5-10% covered everything else.

Thought they were pointing out that this is what the great Bear Bryant had taught them.

Over the years because my focus was recruiting, the winning based 80% on talent has been a pretty universally excepted number by coaches. Not sure about the other numbers.

Normally coaching does not come into play unless the teams are relatively close in talent, which a lot of  teams are in the SEC, but were not in the old SWC.

ricepig

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 10, 2014, 09:22:38 am
Don't remember which ultra successful coach said it,but when he was publically being patted on the back, he said that winning a game at the at the college level was 80% talent, 10-15% where the game was being played, and 5-10% covered everything else.

Thought they were pointing out that this is what the great Bear Bryant had taught them.

Over the years because my focus was recruiting, the winning based 80% on talent has been a pretty universally excepted number by coaches. Not sure about the other numbers.

Normally coaching does not come into play unless the teams are relatively close in talent, which a lot of  teams are in the SEC, but were not in the old SWC.

I think you forgot that COACHES are responsible for recruiting and not just on the field strategy. Just because someone uses the word "coach" doesn't mean you should assume it is all about on the field stuff. It isn't.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 10, 2014, 11:42:04 am
I think you forgot that COACHES are responsible for recruiting and not just on the field strategy. Just because someone uses the word "coach" doesn't mean you should assume it is all about on the field stuff. It isn't.
Actually, I have never asked any coach what they really meant when they were talking about talent vs coaching.   

Here is some thoughts on ESPN:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/hot?id=9395142

Most think coaching trumps recruiting.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 10, 2014, 03:26:18 pm
Actually, I have never asked any coach what they really meant when they were talking about talent vs coaching.   

Here is some thoughts on ESPN:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/hot?id=9395142

Most think coaching trumps recruiting.

That might be true BUT a lot of people need to realize that coaches have to recruit first and then coach them secondly. Good coaches do and coaching staffs do both. There has to be a mix of both in some combination on a staff.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 10, 2014, 04:22:11 pm
That might be true BUT a lot of people need to realize that coaches have to recruit first and then coach them secondly. Good coaches do and coaching staffs do both. There has to be a mix of both in some combination on a staff.
I agree but remember I'm a talent trumps coaching guy in most situation's.

Was it Orville  that said when Arkansas played Alabama, and the Alabama players came onto the field it seemed to tilt in their direction. 

If the talent is close coaching is critical, and of course in the SEC the top 2/3 are close in talent.

hoghappy

PorkRinds

pigture perfect

Nah, I've been to Boise. J'boro just has more misquitoes. I think HH was talking more about the universities than the cities.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Kicking Wing

Of course they can.  NIU did it and they are basically the same program.

Sweet Feet

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 12, 2014, 11:34:13 am
Its possible. Give it time
Their AD said it is not if, but when they make the play-offs. I think he has some tangible reasons for feeling that way.

One thing that has impressed me is that ASU has been winning when the SBC has been its strongest. The SBC was officially the best BCS non-aq conference last year after finishing 2nd the year before.

Equally impressive is that they have done it with a new coaching staff every year, something that is not easy ,and has caught the attention of everyone that follows college football.

That speaks volumes about the caliber players they have on their roster, and the overall condition of their program at ASU(which is setting attendance, and contribution  records).

Have mentioned that they have a lot of improvements already in the works that will be game changers,  but AstateNation, says there will be a series of announcements in September that will make ASU fans very happy.

I would not sell them short.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 12, 2014, 03:11:29 pm
Their AD said it is not if, but when they make the play-offs. I think he has some tangible reasons for feeling that way.

One thing that has impressed me is that ASU has been winning when the SBC has been its strongest. The SBC was officially the best BCS non-aq conference last year after finishing 2nd the year before.

Equally impressive is that they have done it with a new coaching staff every year, something that is not easy ,and has caught the attention of everyone that follows college football.

That speaks volumes about the caliber players they have on their roster, and the overall condition of their program at ASU(which is setting attendance, and contribution  records).

Have mentioned that they have a lot of improvements already in the works that will be game changers,  but AstateNation, says there will be a series of announcements in September that will make ASU fans very happy.

Written like the true fan you are.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: ricepig on July 12, 2014, 03:20:17 pm
Written like the true fan you are.
how is it i can always expect you and inhogswetrust to be on every thread about asu? Lol ;) i kid

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 12, 2014, 03:11:29 pm

Man playoffs are a whole different stretch. Asu would have to be like ranked #4. They may have a spot for one of the major bowls but that doesnt mean they will get in the playoffs when that bowl is used for semis.

ricepig

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 12, 2014, 04:05:01 pm
how is it i can always expect you and inhogswetrust to be on every thread about asu? Lol ;) i kid

Dude says he's not a fan, his sixth post on this site says he's an ASU fan, can you trust him? I'm just calling a spade a spade, and there's nothing wrong with that. There's nothing wrong with supporting your team, everyone does it.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: ricepig on July 12, 2014, 04:42:31 pm
Dude says he's not a fan, his sixth post on this site says he's an ASU fan, can you trust him? I'm just calling a spade a spade, and there's nothing wrong with that. There's nothing wrong with supporting your team, everyone does it.
Man i dnt even get into all that lol. I just went by his user name and karma rating lol

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 12, 2014, 04:08:00 pm

Man playoffs are a whole different stretch. Asu would have to be like ranked #4. They may have a spot for one of the major bowls but that doesnt mean they will get in the playoffs when that bowl is used for semis.
I think you are right , because the ASU AD actually said  even if the best G5 team was only # 50 they still would get selected, just did not here what to.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Sweet Feet on July 12, 2014, 05:16:13 pm
Man i dnt even get into all that lol. I just went by his user name and karma rating lol
I'm not a fan of any team, buy any definition of fan.

Was a fan of Memphis when I was a kid, then Tennessee, then moved to Arkansas and was a Razorback fan for a while. Went to ASU and was a fan for a few years, then got involved in recruiting, and got to deal with other schools and coaches drifted away from being a fan of any school (also found out what  coaches actually think about fans) .

I have caught myself saying I was a fan of Memphis, or Tennessee, or ASU from time to time but if I do notice it I will insert 'former'. I do like all these schools and have no problem being associated with them, just I'm not a fan.

I have no problem with people that accuse me of being a Razorback fan, because I use to go to so many games, keep up with them,and my cousin is on their all 80's team. Most Razorbacks fans would assure them I'm not a Razorback fan.

Have not attended an ASU game in over a decade, and have no plans of attending another, and I live 7 miles from the stadium. Most ASU fans, and former coaches  that I know have no problem excepting that I'm not an ASU fan, and in fact know I'm not a fan.

If ASU or the Razorbacks for that matter dropped college football, it would not bother me.

The problem here is I posted a few years ago that it looked like ASU had turned the corner, and some guys did not like the idea still don't. 

I also posted that I though the Razorbacks are a middle-or-the-pack SEC team, and they don't like that.

That's it, nothing else.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on July 12, 2014, 07:33:50 pm
I'm not a fan of any team, buy any definition of fan.

Was a fan of Memphis when I was a kid, then Tennessee, then moved to Arkansas and was a Razorback fan for a while. Went to ASU and was a fan for a few years, then got involved in recruiting, and got to deal with other schools and coaches drifted away from being a fan of any school (also found out what  coaches actually think about fans) .

I have caught myself saying I was a fan of Memphis, or Tennessee, or ASU from time to time but if I do notice it I will insert 'former'. I do like all these schools and have no problem being associated with them, just I'm not a fan.

I have no problem with people that accuse me of being a Razorback fan, because I use to go to so many games, keep up with them,and my cousin is on their all 80's team. Most Razorbacks fans would assure them I'm not a Razorback fan.

Have not attended an ASU game in over a decade, and have no plans of attending another, and I live 7 miles from the stadium. Most ASU fans, and former coaches  that I know have no problem excepting that I'm not an ASU fan, and in fact know I'm not a fan.

If ASU or the Razorbacks for that matter dropped college football, it would not bother me.

The problem here is I posted a few years ago that it looked like ASU had turned the corner, and some guys did not like the idea still don't. 

I also posted that I though the Razorbacks are a middle-or-the-pack SEC team, and they don't like that.

That's it, nothing else.

I don't think the fact that you posted that the Hogs were a middle of the pack SEC team has anything to do with why others don't like you, our record proves we are. It's the fact that you troll behind this facade of not being an ASU fan when all you do is post about them. Come on, man up and admit it, it's not that hard is it?