Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grant Morgan

Started by MH04, July 07, 2014, 11:16:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MH04

Came across this Highlight video and wow.... Grant can play. He is the brother of current Razorback Drew Morgan. Not ideal height/weight for a LB at 5'11'' 215lbs but just watch this
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2107734/grant-morgan

GEO-HOG

Maybe an invited walk-on that would be a solid special teams player?

yraciv

Quote from: GEO-HOG on July 07, 2014, 12:00:09 pm
Maybe an invited walk-on that would be a solid special teams player?

Way too early to tell.  At that size and speed probably, but he is just a SO.  No telling how the measurables will look his SR year.  I've got to assume he has been making it to Razorback camps. Anyone have an idea?

yraciv

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2014/may/07/greenwoods-morgan-making-strides/

He jumped his SPARQ rating from a 73 to a 93, and that was with a reported slip in the 40. Know that isn't everything, but grow another couple inches and keep making strides there, and you may have an SEC caliber player.

Hoggish1

Quote from: MH04 on July 07, 2014, 11:16:25 am
Came across this Highlight video and wow.... Grant can play. He is the brother of current Razorback Drew Morgan. Not ideal height/weight for a LB at 5'11'' 215lbs but just watch this
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2107734/grant-morgan

What's the ideal H & W for a LB?

Huds_HawgTide

I'd say 6'2 & 235

But it's a position that you want as tall and weigh as much as you can get with speed and great lateral movement so you can shed blocks and get running back down quick
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

ricepig

Quote from: Hoggish1 on July 07, 2014, 12:24:23 pm
What's the ideal H & W for a LB?

Hogville would want 6' 31/2" 242lbs and run a 4.26 40.

BrianWPS!!

For a linebacker I don't think height and weight matter as much as strength and reaction speed. Plus having a nasty streak when you hit the field.

PorkRinds

I've done crossfit workouts with Grant. He's a great kid. And a solid player for sure.

RyeHogFan

He looks like an interesting prospect. He seems to have a real nose for the ball, good aggression, and i'm sure he's still got some growing to do over the next few years to reach those more ideal numbers that you all speak of. He'll be one to keep an eye on next June when camp time rolls around.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: RyeHogFan on July 07, 2014, 01:27:52 pm
He looks like an interesting prospect. He seems to have a real nose for the ball, good aggression, and i'm sure he's still got some growing to do over the next few years to reach those more ideal numbers that you all speak of. He'll be one to keep an eye on next June when camp time rolls around.
I don't think his ht or 40 speed is ideal but in his hi light video I watched he sure could find the football and deliver the blow.  MLB is so much about finding the ball and delivering the knock down blow.  Morgan sure did that in his video.  I live in Fort Smith so I will watch several of his games this year.  Interesting prospect.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: ricepig on July 07, 2014, 12:42:26 pm
Hogville would want 6' 31/2" 242lbs and run a 4.26 40.

I think everybody wants that. 

lumphog

Watched a TX/AR game rerun from 76 & Earl Cambell's little brother was playing DE at 5' 11"  198lbs

redeye

Quote from: Huds_HawgTide on July 07, 2014, 12:35:05 pm
I'd say 6'2 & 235

But it's a position that you want as tall and weigh as much as you can get with speed and great lateral movement so you can shed blocks and get running back down quick

That seems right, but few of them seem to weigh that much in high school.  I take it that you recruit them smaller and add weight/muscle when they get to campus.

Huds_HawgTide

Yeah but that would make em safeties that grow into lbs and then the ideal lbs generally grow into DEs
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

Piggfoot

Quote from: lumphog on July 07, 2014, 02:46:53 pm
Watched a TX/AR game rerun from 76 & Earl Cambell's little brother was playing DE at 5' 11"  198lbs
I don't know which brother you're talking about but Tim Campbell was larger than that.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

WayneHawg

Quote from: Huds_HawgTide on July 07, 2014, 12:35:05 pm
I'd say 6'2 & 235   Tell that to Tony Buaaaaaa !!!!!

redeye

Quote from: Huds_HawgTide on July 07, 2014, 03:11:39 pm
Yeah but that would make em safeties that grow into lbs and then the ideal lbs generally grow into DEs

Yea, I get what you're saying, but only 3 of the 32 4-5 star LB's on the 247 composite weigh 235+ lbs, according to their data.  Four of them are under 200 lbs.

I don't disagree with you, but I think we often think most LB's weigh more then they do.

SemperFi

Already showing great instinct and a solid tackler as a Sophmore. He could play a multitude of positions, Safety, OLB or if he grows a couple inches and puts some weight on MLB. Got to have the weight and strength to take on SEC OL's. Going to be interesting watching his recruiting over the next two years. He looks very talented based solely on his highlight video, so I bet that he does end up with an Arkansas offer.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

razorback44

Quote from: redeye on July 07, 2014, 04:51:20 pm
Yea, I get what you're saying, but only 3 of the 32 4-5 star LB's on the 247 composite weigh 235+ lbs, according to their data.  Four of them are under 200 lbs.

I don't disagree with you, but I think we often think most LB's weigh more then they do.

This is correct.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Hoggish1

If he's already 5'11" 215 as a 16 year old, he could easily grow 2-3" and put on 15 - 20 LBS.

muddhogger

He's a little small to play that position in the sec but he will definitely grow some and add a little weight and I can see him playing a position like Jerico Nelson. Jerico was a little on the short side(5'10" 215lbs) but played his butt off in the linebacker position for the hogs. He definitely knows how to tackle and that's one thing we need. Has a nose for the ball and doesn't give up on any play.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: redeye on July 07, 2014, 04:51:20 pm

Especially recruits coming out of high school.  A lot of these kids are measured and weighed when they're 16-17 years old.  For that reason alone it's really tough to judge a kid's measureables and talent from a Rivals website (Randy Ramsey perhaps?).

redeye

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on July 07, 2014, 09:44:19 pm
Especially recruits coming out of high school.  A lot of these kids are measured and weighed when they're 16-17 years old.  For that reason alone it's really tough to judge a kid's measureables and talent from a Rivals website (Randy Ramsey perhaps?).

I agree and should have noted that I was specifically talking about high school players.  Most of them over 235 lbs are listed as DE's, even if they're being recruited at LB.