Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Daley said UA threw his golf trophies in a storage room.

Started by DeltaBoy, July 07, 2014, 09:36:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LZH

Well this thing is a few days old now, so has anyone found out what actually happened?

Jek Tono Porkins

I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Wildhog

The UofA needs to buy him a new damn Wanamaker trophy.  Simply inexcusable to not take care of two of the most coveted trophies in golf.  Embarrassing, really.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

whiskeyNwater2.0

John Daly invited my brother in law to play golf with him at his course at the Lions Den. He told him to bring a couple people if he wanted and I was lucky enough to join the foursome. I didn't really know what to expect. I have played golf my entire life and played at the college level so naturally I was very excited to play golf with a 2 time major champion. Now to the experience...

I showed up and got out of my car and John personally drove out and picked me and my clubs up. He offered me a drink and asked if I wanted any food to take out on the course. I was immediately taken aback by how thoughtful and hospitable he was toward me and the other two guys. During the round he gave me a couple of suggestions to help with the hook I had that day. (Problem was I was swinging out of my shoes). After a few holes he offered to let me use his driver for the rest of the round. He said my shaft was to light and not stiff enough. After the round he invited us back to his house where we hung out, had dinner and listened to stories. I really noticed that he genuinely cared about who I was and what my life was like. Later on his friend come over. It was Kerry Lott someone who I competed against in college golf. Daly had asked Kerry to come over and reshaft my driver. We went into his trailer he has off his driveway where he has hundreds of shafts, clubheads, wedges and what had To be 30 or 40 Wilson 8802 blade putters. After dinner he gave us all a bag of John daly gear like headcovers, towels and balls. He then gave me his contact info and invited us to come back anytime.

Honestly, I was shocked at how nice of a day we had and how cool he was. He didn't have a bad word to say about anyone and it was clear that he is truly a gentle giant who wants nothing more than to make friends and be loved. I know he has made some poor choices and he has suffered the consequences. All in all he is just an outstanding person with a giant heart. He loves the UofA and all Razorback sports teams. He is a hopeless homer and that is rare for an elite athlete. I sent him a thank you card and two days later he called me up and thanked me for sending the card and let me know he enjoyed having us all up and again invited us back anytime. I only share this story because I have heard many other accounts from Arkansans who have met him and were just as impressed by his kindness. I will always root for big John and am glad to gotten to know him if only for a short time.

Wildhog

Quote from: whiskeyNwater2.0 on July 10, 2014, 11:38:27 am
John Daly invited my brother in law to play golf with him at his course in Lions Den. He told him to bring a couple people of he wanted and I was lucky enough to join the foursome. I didn't really know what to expect. I have played golf my entire life and played at the college level so naturally I was very excited to play golf with a 2 time major champion. Now to the experience...

I showed up and got out of my car and John personally drove out and picked me and my clubs up. He offered me a drink and asked if I wanted any food to take out on the course. I was immediately taken aback by how thoughtful and hospitable he was toward me and the other two guys. During he round he gave me a couple of suggestions to help with the hook I had that day. (Problem was I was swinging out of my shoes). After a few holes he offered to let me use his driver for the rest of the round. He said my shaft was to light and not stiff enough. After the round he invited us back to his house where we hung out, had dinner and listened to stories. I really noticed that he genuinely cared about who I was and what my life was like. Later on his friend come over. It was Kerry Lott someone who I competed against in college golf. Daly had asked Kerry to come over and redraft my driver. We went into his trailer he has off his driveway where he has hundreds of shafts, clubheads, wedges and what had To be 30 or 40 Wilson 8802 blade putters. After dinner he gave us all a bag of John daly gear like headcovers, towels and balls. He then gave me his contact info and invited us to come back anytime.

Honestly, I was shocked at how nice if a day we had and how cool he was. He didn't have a bad word to say about anyone and it was clear that he is truly a gentle giant who wants nothing more than to make friends and be loved. I know he has made some poor choices and he has suffered the consequences. All in all he is just am outstanding person with a giant heart. He loves the UofA and all Razorback sports teams. He is a hopeless homer and that is rare for an elite athlete. I sent him a thank you card and two days later he called me up and thanked me for sending the card and let me know he enjoyed having us all up and again invited us back anytime. I only share this story because I have heard many other accounts from Arkansans who have met him and were just as impressed by his kindness. I will always root for big John and am glad to gotten to know him if only for a short time.

Great story.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wild Bill Hog

Mike Irwin

Quote from: LZH on July 10, 2014, 08:55:07 am
Well this thing is a few days old now, so has anyone found out what actually happened?
Not yet but if you listen to the Yahoo Sports interview Daly does it sounds like the problem happened after his trophies were moved to the golf practice facility at The Blessings.

Sounds like they were doing some remodeling when somebody stuck the trophies in a closet and forgot they were there.

This facility is miles from the BAC.

jkstock04

John Daly invited my brother in law to play golf with him at his course at the Lions Den. He told him to bring a couple people if he wanted and I was lucky enough to join the foursome. I didn't really know what to expect. I have played golf my entire life and played at the college level so naturally I was very excited to play golf with a 2 time major champion. Now to the experience...

I showed up and got out of my car and John personally drove out and picked me and my clubs up. He offered me a drink and asked if I wanted any food to take out on the course. I was immediately taken aback by how thoughtful and hospitable he was toward me and the other two guys. During the round he gave me a couple of suggestions to help with the hook I had that day. (Problem was I was swinging out of my shoes). After a few holes he offered to let me use his driver for the rest of the round. He said my shaft was to light and not stiff enough. After the round he invited us back to his house where we hung out, had dinner and listened to stories. I really noticed that he genuinely cared about who I was and what my life was like. Later on his friend come over. It was Kerry Lott someone who I competed against in college golf. Daly had asked Kerry to come over and reshaft my driver. We went into his trailer he has off his driveway where he has hundreds of shafts, clubheads, wedges and what had To be 30 or 40 Wilson 8802 blade putters. After dinner he gave us all a bag of John daly gear like headcovers, towels and balls. He then gave me his contact info and invited us to come back anytime.

Honestly, I was shocked at how nice of a day we had and how cool he was. He didn't have a bad word to say about anyone and it was clear that he is truly a gentle giant who wants nothing more than to make friends and be loved. I know he has made some poor choices and he has suffered the consequences. All in all he is just an outstanding person with a giant heart. He loves the UofA and all Razorback sports teams. He is a hopeless homer and that is rare for an elite athlete. I sent him a thank you card and two days later he called me up and thanked me for sending the card and let me know he enjoyed having us all up and again invited us back anytime. I only share this story because I have heard many other accounts from Arkansans who have met him and were just as impressed by his kindness. I will always root for big John and am glad to gotten to know him if only for a short time.
Really cool story... Thx for sharing.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on July 10, 2014, 05:09:36 pm
Care to go a little further and try to make a point with this?

Just sharing a story about Walter Hagen leaving the Wanamaker Trophy with a cabbie. Lighten up, Francis.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 10, 2014, 08:00:23 pm
Just sharing a story about Walter Hagen leaving the Wanamaker Trophy with a cabbie. Lighten up, Francis.

Okay.  Tina Fey eats potpourri in a TV commercial.

(notOM)Rebel123

hoglady

One of the best stories I've read on Hogville.
And I've been here a long while.
Thanks for posting.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Augustus

Great Story, Whiskey.

While I can't say I have a similar story to that extent, I can say I spent the better part of the 2000's working in Danville & living in a house on Chamberlyne. I wasn't "friends" with JD, but I was friends with guys who were good buddies with him.  He was there at tournaments at Chamberlyne, and when we'd play at Lions Den... And, to me, he always seemed as hospitable, genuine, and just a fun-loving person as anyone you'd ever want to meet.

Not once did I ever get the impression he was the "type of guy" that he was/is sometimes portrayed in the media or by some people who base their opinions on 10% of the story.

Now, as far as the trophies? Yeah, we're talking about major PGA trophies here... I don't have a single problem with what he did/said.  I'm actually disappointed in what seems to be a lack of response by the University, regarding the matter.

Then again, here on Hogville is the first I've heard about this... I imagine the University would like to keep it that way.  It's a shame.  But I have no doubt JD will still love and rep the Hogs.  :razorback:

hoglady

Quote from: Augustus on July 10, 2014, 11:45:07 pm
Great Story, Whiskey.

While I can't say I have a similar story to that extent, I can say I spent the better part of the 2000's working in Danville & living in a house on Chamberlyne. I wasn't "friends" with JD, but I was friends with guys who were good buddies with him.  He was there at tournaments at Chamberlyne, and when we'd play at Lions Den... And, to me, he always seemed as hospitable, genuine, and just a fun-loving person as anyone you'd ever want to meet.

Not once did I ever get the impression he was the "type of guy" that he was/is sometimes portrayed in the media or by some people who base their opinions on 10% of the story.

Now, as far as the trophies? Yeah, we're talking about major PGA trophies here... I don't have a single problem with what he did/said.  I'm actually disappointed in what seems to be a lack of response by the University, regarding the matter.

Then again, here on Hogville is the first I've heard about this... I imagine the University would like to keep it that way.  It's a shame.  But I have no doubt JD will still love and rep the Hogs.  :razorback:

Bo Mattingly was talking about it on his show the other day.
So it's out there.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Augustus

Quote from: hoglady on July 10, 2014, 11:50:59 pm
Bo Mattingly was talking about it on his show the other day.
So it's out there.

Oh, well see... I quit listening to Bo's show a year or so ago, when he kept having Clay Travis on to rile up Hog Fans.  :puke:

DeltaBoy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 09, 2014, 06:27:24 pm
If I had loaned the University my trophies from the British Open and the PGA Championship and they had damaged them and had shown little regard for taking care of them, I would have done just what he did.

I would have taken them back and got them repaired myself. If I couldn't trust them with something that I had loaned them that was so near and dear to my heart and my accomplishments, because of my love for the school, and they had shown so little regard for taking care of them after the fact, why would I ask them for one darned cent in repairing them, let alone having trusted them to manage the process?

That my take on this . Frank asked for them he let them have them , time passes and someone let John know they had been threw in a storage closet.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LZH

Quote from: RNHog on July 11, 2014, 03:25:57 pm
People still crying about this.

What do you mean?  If it is what it sounds like, I'd be pretty pissed, too.

Mike Irwin

ijustpork

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 11, 2014, 03:49:37 pm
People who don't like Daly don't know him.

John is a very likable person. But even likable people say and do things sometimes that makes other's scratch their head and wonder why. ALL people do.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Dillar Dog

Quote from: Wildhog on July 10, 2014, 10:31:34 am
The UofA needs to buy him a new damn Wanamaker trophy.  Simply inexcusable to not take care of two of the most coveted trophies in golf.  Embarrassing, really.

I agree that they should've fixed it but they are replicas.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dillar Dog on July 11, 2014, 04:12:04 pm
I agree that they should've fixed it but they are replicas.

Replicas that cost about 30K apparently, according to JD in the video.
Go Hogs Go!

twistitup

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 11, 2014, 04:10:02 pm
But even likable people say and do things sometimes that makes other's scratch their head and wonder why. ALL people do.

It's what makes us human
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ricepig

Dillar Dog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 11, 2014, 05:15:17 pm
Replicas that cost about 30K apparently, according to JD in the video.

Yes.  Replicas.  Some people in this thread are acting like they are the actual trophies.

Again, I agree the damage should've been taken care of.

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on July 11, 2014, 05:50:12 pm
I thought it had something to do with our thumb.

You just pissed off a bunch of raccoons
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dillar Dog on July 11, 2014, 05:51:37 pm
Yes.  Replicas.  Some people in this thread are acting like they are the actual trophies.

Again, I agree the damage should've been taken care of.

No one gets the actual trophy, but even replicas mean a great deal to the folks who work their arses off to win the tournaments. The trophies are just symbolism, but that doesn't make them any less important to the player, or any less valuable.

Now to anyone who is an outside observer, they probably tend to think they are worth less than the original. In monetary terms that is true. But ask the guy who won them.
Go Hogs Go!

Mike Irwin

The Claret Jug, awarded to the British Open Champ, has been around since 1872 and contains the names of all of the over 130 previous winners. A replica is awarded to the winner.

The Wanamaker Trophy was first awarded in 1921 and the winner did take it home. Walter Hagen lost it in the mid 20's and a duplicate was made. From that point on the winner always got a replica. The original was later found and is kept on display these days at the PGA Historical Center in Florida.

Neither the original Masters or US Open trophies still exist. Both were lost in fires. Muskogee is right. These days all winners of golf's majors get replica trophies.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 11, 2014, 06:15:23 pm
No one gets the actual trophy, but even replicas mean a great deal to the folks who work their arses off to win the tournaments. The trophies are just symbolism, but that doesn't make them any less important to the player, or any less valuable.

Now to anyone who is an outside observer, they probably tend to think they are worth less than the original. In monetary terms that is true. But ask the guy who won them.

Again, i agree the damage should've been taken care of.

Again, these aren't the original trophies like some here think.

I really don't know any other way to put it to make you get my point.  While I agree with your last post, it had absolutely nothing to do with what I posted.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 11, 2014, 06:39:45 pm
The Claret Jug, awarded to the British Open Champ, has been around since 1872 and contains the names of all of the over 130 previous winners. A replica is awarded to the winner.

The Wanamaker Trophy was first awarded in 1921 and the winner did take it home. Walter Hagen lost it in the mid 20's and a duplicate was made. From that point on the winner always got a replica. The original was later found and is kept on display these days at the PGA Historical Center in Florida.

Neither the original Masters or US Open trophies still exist. Both were lost in fires. Muskogee is right. These days all winners of golf's majors get replica trophies.

Careful, Mike. I was ridiculed for posting the story of Hagen leaving the Wanamaker with a cab driver.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 11, 2014, 07:50:45 pm
Careful, Mike. I was ridiculed for posting the story of Hagen leaving the Wanamaker with a cab driver.
It's an interesting story. Hagan said he was out drinking and he paid a cab driver to return it to his hotel room. But it was actually found in a building where Walter Hagan Golf Clubs were made. Some speculated that he didn't want to give it back and made up the cab driver story. Later, they speculated, he felt guilty and put the trophy in the manufacturing facility where it would be found.

Guess we'll never know.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 11, 2014, 08:34:21 pm
It's an interesting story. Hagan said he was out drinking and he paid a cab driver to return it to his hotel room. But it was actually found in a building where Walter Hagan Golf Clubs were made. Some speculated that he didn't want to give it back and made up the cab driver story. Later, they speculated, he felt guilty and put the trophy in the manufacturing facility where it would be found.

Guess we'll never know.

Good stuff. +1

jesterzzn

Quote from: ArkansasI on July 07, 2014, 12:37:08 pm
Pretty lame thread we have going here.  John wanted his beloved university to house his PGA and British Open trophies.  Pretty cool.

When the trophies get transferred from the Broyles Athletic Complex to the new golfing center, some fool puts them in a closet - perhaps because the PGA trophy is damaged.

John doesn't know how the damage occurred, but one may surmise that whoever dented the PGA trophy either didn't know what it was - or perhaps knew exactly what it was but dropped it in the move from BAC or whatever.  Not surprising that whoever is responsible hasn't explained what happened - they'd be out of a job or might be expected to fix the trophy - which they couldn't afford.

John is disappointed that those he entrusted with the trophies didn't take better care of them, and I'm sure that the university is embarassed.  I'm surprised that the university didn't offer to replace the damaged trophy.

Bad stewardship on the part of Arkansas.  Bad form by John talking about it - it doesn't help the university that he supports.

I have seen the way Daley goes about his business enough to know that if they had come to him and explained what happened, whatever it was, he would never have forced someone who could not afford the repairs to pay for them, period.

This is bizarre.  I don't blame John for talking about it.  It's not like those are small time things.  Those are Major golf championship trophies.  Big time.  It would be like Jerry loaning the university one of his Lombardi Trophies and when he got it back the football on top was dented up.

It's rather shocking. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: twistitup on July 11, 2014, 05:55:36 pm
You just pissed off a bunch of raccoons

and soccer players............................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Mike Irwin

I finally got the athletic department's version of this story.

The two trophies were on display in a trophy case at the golf practice facility at The Blessings Golf Club in Johnson. Daly called one day and said he wanted the trophies back. So they had somebody take the trophies out of the case and put them in a box so they would be ready for transport when Daly came to claim them. The box was put in a storage closet at the golf practice facility.

When he came by he apparently was miffed that the trophies were not in the display case.

The athletic department person I spoke with said they don't know anything about any damage to the two trophies.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 14, 2014, 07:02:36 pm

The two trophies were on display in a trophy case at the golf practice facility at The Blessings Golf Club in Johnson. Daly called one day and said he wanted the trophies back. So they had somebody take trophies out of the case and put them in a box so they would be ready for transport when Daly came to claim them. The box was put in a storage closet at the golf practice facility.

When he came by he apparently was miffed that the trophies were not in the display case.

The athletic department person I spoke with said they don't know anything about any damage to the two trophies.

Oh the outrage!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 14, 2014, 07:02:36 pm

The two trophies were on display in a trophy case at the golf practice facility at The Blessings Golf Club in Johnson. Daly called one day and said he wanted the trophies back. So they had somebody take the trophies out of the case and put them in a box so they would be ready for transport when Daly came to claim them. The box was put in a storage closet at the golf practice facility.

Oh my...don't let facts get in the way of a good story. Much less a 4 page thread.
Thanks Mike for getting the other side of the story.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: majestic on July 08, 2014, 09:38:17 pm
Holy shnit you're obsessed.

I was using the example of John's 67 in the 1st Round in 2007 at Southern Hills to show that John can still play high quality golf, and therefore, to show that is perplexing as to why the UofA threw John's trophies in a storage room (which is not the proper way to treat Alumni).

The following puts into perspective just how good was John's 67 in the 1st Round in 2007 at Southern Hills.

Jack Nicklaus at Southern Hills

1958 U.S. Open   79--75--73--77   +24   tied for 41st place

1970 PGA Championship   68--76--73--66   +3   tied for 6th place

1977 U.S. Open   74--68--71--72   +5   tied for 10th place

1982 PGA Championship   74--70--72--67   +3   tied for 16th place

1994 PGA Championship   79--71   +10   Missed Cut

Ben Hogan at Southern Hills

1958 U.S. Open   75--73--75--71   +14   tied for 10th place

Tom Watson at Southern Hills

1977 U.S. Open   74--72--71--67   +4   tied for 7th place

1982 PGA Championship   72--69--71--68   Even Par   tied for 9th place

1994 PGA Championship   69--72--67--71   -1   tied for 9th place

Johnny Miller at Southern Hills

1970 PGA Championship   68--77--70--71   +6   tied for 7th place

1977 U.S. Open   71--73--70--76   +10   tied for 27th place

1982 PGA Championship   76--67--73--70   +6   tied for 12th place

Bernhard Langer at Southern Hills

1994 PGA Championship   73--71--67--72   +3   tied for 10th place

2001 U.S. Open   71--73--71--74   +9   tied for 13th place

Colin Montgomerie at Southern Hills

1994 PGA Championship   67--76--70--72   +5   tied for 12th place

2001 U.S. Open   71--70--77--74   +12   tied for 16th place

2007 PGA Championship   72--73--73--70   +8   tied for 42nd place

Nicklaus, Hogan, Watson, Miller, and Langer won a combined total of 39 Major Championships on the PGA Tour.  Montgomerie has won 2 Major Championships this season on the Champions Tour (the Senior PGA Championsip and the Senior U.S. Open).  Montgomerie became only the 5th player in history to win the Senior PGA Championship and the Senior U.S. Open in the same season.

In my opinion, Nicklaus, Hogan, Watson, Miller, Langer, and Montgomerie are Top 10 iron players of all-time.   

DeltaBoy

John a great guy and Whiskey' s day with John proves it.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: DeltaBoy on July 15, 2014, 09:18:06 am
John a great guy and Whiskey' s day with John proves it.
Yep. JD is a great guy. But there seems to be more to the story than originally reported. It certainly Doesn't diminish JD or his love for the Hogs. But people, for some reason, are very quick to always blame the UofA in this type of situation.

footballfan

My mom threw away my ninth place ribbon for the junior golf tournament sponsored by Sal's ice cream parlor and pickle emporium. Don't hear me bitching about it.

PorkRinds

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on July 15, 2014, 12:53:49 am
I was using the example of John's 67 in the 1st Round in 2007 at Southern Hills to show that John can still play high quality golf, and therefore, to show that is perplexing as to why the UofA threw John's trophies in a storage room (which is not the proper way to treat Alumni).

The following puts into perspective just how good was John's 67 in the 1st Round in 2007 at Southern Hills.

Jack Nicklaus at Southern Hills

1958 U.S. Open   79--75--73--77   +24   tied for 41st place

1970 PGA Championship   68--76--73--66   +3   tied for 6th place

1977 U.S. Open   74--68--71--72   +5   tied for 10th place

1982 PGA Championship   74--70--72--67   +3   tied for 16th place

1994 PGA Championship   79--71   +10   Missed Cut

Ben Hogan at Southern Hills

1958 U.S. Open   75--73--75--71   +14   tied for 10th place

Tom Watson at Southern Hills

1977 U.S. Open   74--72--71--67   +4   tied for 7th place

1982 PGA Championship   72--69--71--68   Even Par   tied for 9th place

1994 PGA Championship   69--72--67--71   -1   tied for 9th place

Johnny Miller at Southern Hills

1970 PGA Championship   68--77--70--71   +6   tied for 7th place

1977 U.S. Open   71--73--70--76   +10   tied for 27th place

1982 PGA Championship   76--67--73--70   +6   tied for 12th place

Bernhard Langer at Southern Hills

1994 PGA Championship   73--71--67--72   +3   tied for 10th place

2001 U.S. Open   71--73--71--74   +9   tied for 13th place

Colin Montgomerie at Southern Hills

1994 PGA Championship   67--76--70--72   +5   tied for 12th place

2001 U.S. Open   71--70--77--74   +12   tied for 16th place

2007 PGA Championship   72--73--73--70   +8   tied for 42nd place

Nicklaus, Hogan, Watson, Miller, and Langer won a combined total of 39 Major Championships on the PGA Tour.  Montgomerie has won 2 Major Championships this season on the Champions Tour (the Senior PGA Championsip and the Senior U.S. Open).  Montgomerie became only the 5th player in history to win the Senior PGA Championship and the Senior U.S. Open in the same season.

In my opinion, Nicklaus, Hogan, Watson, Miller, Langer, and Montgomerie are Top 10 iron players of all-time.

It's like rain man.

ricepig

(notOM)Rebel123

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on July 15, 2014, 08:08:10 pm
I read all his posts as if Dustin Hoffman was talking.

Same here. It's like he hears a keyword that forces him to recall every single fact he can come up with. Daly, Venables, Conque. All keywords.