Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Title: Best Backfield in Arkansas History

Started by razorjack12, July 05, 2014, 03:25:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sueie

Quote from: DawgTownHog on July 06, 2014, 11:34:07 am
Some in the media positioned themselves squarely behind Nutt and were exposed when he was gone. The biggest problem is that because of politics and money the main characters in this drama got off scott free.

And to show our "appreciation" we named the field after one of them "politicians". 
Go figure.

chitwnhog

Quote from: Sueie on July 06, 2014, 12:48:20 pm
And to show our "appreciation" we named the field after one of them "politicians". 
Go figure.

Broyles did waaaay more good for the program. He held on a lil too long and made some mistakes however I don't believe he did anything consciously to hurt the program.

scootriteby

Quote from: hoglady on July 06, 2014, 08:51:11 am
All you have to do is try to imagine what Malzahn (with free reign) or Petrino could have done with that backfield. Arkansas would have probably had a NC and DMac would have a Heisman.
Nutt is, was and will always be a bad football coach. He's a great motivator but his pride seems to not allow him to do what is in the best interest of his team. I can't stand the guy.
You can plug our current coach into that "dream" situation also! ;D

majestic

Quote from: razorjack12 on July 06, 2014, 11:41:29 am
This is Houstons' career in a Nuttshell:

He loses to a 7-6 Vanderbilt at home.

Then turns around the next week and beats #1 and eventual National Champion Florida Gators in The Swamp.

The following week he loses to a 7-6 South Carolina team at home.

He's up. He's down.  He's in.  He's out.

He wins enough to keep hope alive.  Then snatches defeat out of the jaws of victory.  No consistency.

Pretty sure we lost to Florida.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Jborohog09

Quote from: majestic on July 06, 2014, 01:40:26 pm

He's talking about Houston Dale's first year in Oxford in 2008.

razorjack12

Quote from: majestic on July 06, 2014, 01:40:26 pm

I was referring to Nutts first year at Ole Miss.

majestic

Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

razorjack12

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on July 06, 2014, 12:20:58 pm
Win at Texas then at Alabama then lose to auburn and Florida at home.
Don't get me started on '03.   To thump Texas then have the come from behind win in Tuscaloosa .. . .those were ingredients for a championship season.

But Hopes got dashed in that inexcusable loss to Auburn.   

Up, down.  In, out. 

hoglady

Quote from: scootriteby on July 06, 2014, 01:20:37 pm
You can plug our current coach into that "dream" situation also! ;D

Coach B is a defensive guy.
Malzahn and Petrino are offensive guys.
I would venture that Chaney also would have had great success with that backfield.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

LZH

Quote from: Sueie on July 06, 2014, 12:46:00 pm
They were BETTER under Ronald Reagan.

But the point was - Reagan wasn't a moe-ron.........

Hogwild

Quote from: razorjack12 on July 06, 2014, 01:55:55 pm
Don't get me started on '03.   To thump Texas then have the come from behind win in Tuscaloosa .. . .those were ingredients for a championship season.

Up, down.  In, out.

LSU was way better in '03 on both sides of the ball, and Ole Miss with Eli was solid

Pig Worshipper

Houston Nutt was even worse as a human being than he was at being a coach. It's what cost him an opportunity to win a national championship at Arkansas. Any attempts at defending the man are misguided and foolish in my opinion.

Batesville Hogfan

Quote from: razorjack12 on July 05, 2014, 03:41:33 pm
Yes, but they only scored 7 points against Auburn at home.   And 13 points against Tennessee on the road.  Inexcusable.

Blowing games against Kentucky and Alabama were absolutely inexcusable.
I was at that UK game. We scored 16 pts from the defense/special teams (kr td, fumble ret td, and safety) and only 14 offensive pts despite 500+ yds. Nutt botched at least two first and goals and that was the day I finally gave in and became a nutt hater.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on July 06, 2014, 04:46:54 pm
Houston Nutt was even worse as a human being than he was at being a coach. It's what cost him an opportunity to win a national championship at Arkansas. Any attempts at defending the man are misguided and foolish in my opinion.
Agree one hundred percent. He did more to kill arkansas than build arkansas.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: razorjack12 on July 06, 2014, 01:55:55 pm

Up, down.  In, out. 
One of the worst coached games I've ever seen was against auburn in 03. Hog football was ready to explode then laid 3 points on a very average auburn team.

Athog

Quote from: razorjack12 on July 05, 2014, 03:41:33 pm
Yes, but they only scored 7 points against Auburn at home.   And 13 points against Tennessee on the road.  Inexcusable.

Blowing games against Kentucky and Alabama were absolutely inexcusable.

The difference is we had NO passing game at all.

LZH

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on July 06, 2014, 06:14:30 pm
One of the worst coached games I've ever seen was against auburn in 03. Hog football was ready to explode then laid 3 points on a very average auburn team.

The Frank Broyles that I grew up knowing would have fired Nutt's ass before he'd even have made it off the field following the LSU game in 2004.  After squandering all that talent in 2003, FB would have given Nutt one year to get his * together.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

2005 and 2006 DMAC and Felix and Peyton

Ike Forte and Jerry Eckwood

James Rouse and Barry Foster
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

Athog

Quote from: LZH on July 05, 2014, 09:50:24 pm
The military was pretty good under George W. Bush, too.  That is all.

I wish we had Bush now!' Now nothing is good!!

LZH

Quote from: Athog on July 06, 2014, 06:26:40 pm
I wish we had Bush now!' Now nothing is good!!

His dad, yeah....but for God's sake, not junior!

Actually, I'd vote for Root66.....where are you when we need you buddy?

1highhog

Quote from: Tick Hog on July 06, 2014, 12:32:39 am
Dale says talk to him when you have a coach that goes to Atlanta twice until then shut up!!

Did we go to Atlanta?  Oh yeah, we did under Nutt!  I have for years tried to wipe those embarrassing memories from my mind.

razorjack12

Quote from: 1highhog on July 06, 2014, 06:49:37 pm
Did we go to Atlanta?  Oh yeah, we did under Nutt!  I have for years tried to wipe those embarrassing memories from my mind.
Yes, and we also spent time in the sewer.

That was the thing about Nutt...he was inconsistent. 

And lets not forget, those two seasons we went to Atlanta, we also lost 5 and 4 games respectively.  We were hardly world beaters.

Jek Tono Porkins

I still remember a nutt motivational speech at ole miss that was shown on tv where he said something and then the players repeated it back. I think it was "I look good! I feel good! I am good! Cuz it's all good!" What a dork.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: razorjack12 on July 06, 2014, 07:07:33 pm
Yes, and we also spent time in the sewer.

That was the thing about Nutt...he was inconsistent. 

And lets not forget, those two seasons we went to Atlanta, we also lost 5 and 4 games respectively.  We were hardly world beaters.

He wasn't inconsistent about running the program in the ground and overusing our best players until they were injured, or harassing the ones he felt were pushed on to him.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

This - until we educate these young kids and old fans who are misinformed.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Tick Hog

I didn't ever think Nutt was the best coach. However growing up I do remember us winning some big games and being excited about it. Yes we lost plenty that we shouldn't have. I had no idea about the all the other things being discussed here. I like many younger guys just didn't follow or have access to follow the hogs like I do now. I do know that there are some very passionate fans on this board that have a very strong hate for the man. If I offended anybody by pointing out wins I remember growing up I apologize. I had no idea that things were as bad behind the scenes as they were.

Quote from: Tick Hog on July 06, 2014, 11:55:19 pm
I didn't ever think Nutt was the best coach. However growing up I do remember us winning some big games and being excited about it. Yes we lost plenty that we shouldn't have. I had no idea about the all the other things being discussed here. I like many younger guys just didn't follow or have access to follow the hogs like I do now. I do know that there are some very passionate fans on this board that have a very strong hate for the man. If I offended anybody by pointing out wins I remember growing up I apologize. I had no idea that things were as bad behind the scenes as they were.

No worries.  Most people were in your shoes until a couple of years into his head coaching gig.  It was the fb up the middle 4 straight times, playing so conservative, and then refusing to recruit kids that didn't just worship him and automatically "love the helmet" that started it all...

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Mike Irwin on July 05, 2014, 04:41:35 pm

I was on the photo deck for the Auburn game in 07. The game was a snore. Auburn ended up winning 9-7. The crowd was dead for large portions of the game. It was so quiet that for a couple of Arkansas possessions in the 2nd half I could hear some lady right below the photo deck clearly calling the plays before they happened. She ended up being right about 80% of the time. At first only her husband was laughing but later an entire second of fans was in stitches as she'd call out the play and that would be the play Nutt ran. It was hilarious and depressing at the same time.

I sat next to a junior high assistant coach who did the same thing. When the Hogs broke the huddle and started to line up, he would call the play. Almost always correct.