Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Contact vs Power

Started by Boarslab, July 05, 2014, 12:21:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarslab

Contact vs Power---which would you rather have on your team?  If you had the choice to have either on your team-- would you take a player that makes contact and doesn't strike out much--has a good batting average, and hits doubles on occasion or a player that strikes out much more than the contact hitter -especially in key situations-hit's doubles about the same as the contact guy,but hits a home run occasionally, and hits it hard more often?  The contact guy is a middle infielder that is solid and doesn't make many errors and can play outfield equally well---the power hitter is limited to some 3rd base and pitches, but is not real solid---his defense is not good.  Which one would you prefer and why?  I know both have their place.......but which one do you like best on your squad?

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jb11

If it is one or the other, you have to go with contact. Great pitching can neutralize a masher that strikes out a lot.  You have to have contact hitters to make it far in the college game right now.

But I would rather have a contact hitter that can mash.  :D

PorkRyan

Power Power Power.  It is why the power guys make the big bucks in MLB.  One swing of the bat can be worth 3 runs instead of a single.  Power guys are game changers.  Contact can be taught to a degree, power can not.   

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

I'll take the solid middle infielder that makes good contact.

Ironhawg

I'd take the contact guy: Rod Carew, Tony Gwynn.

Deep Shoat

Give me 12 contact hitters who play solid D and a above average pitching staff and I'll win the CWS. 

Guys like that tend to run the bases well, walk a lot, can plug and play anywhere on D, and are usually high character guys.
All Gas, No Brakes!

dallashog83

It depends on where in the order. If this applies to all players then definitely go with contact as this allows for runs to possibly be scored each inning.  Power on the other hand has always played to the big inning.

Sue E NoNutts

Quote from: PorkRyan on July 05, 2014, 08:09:11 pm
Power Power Power.  It is why the power guys make the big bucks in MLB.  One swing of the bat can be worth 3 runs instead of a single.  Power guys are game changers.  Contact can be taught to a degree, power can not.   

But how did 2 of those 3 runs get on base in the first place?  Contact.
Your/You're.....the difference between knowing your shite and knowing you're shite.

Lose/Loose.  When you lose weight, your pants feel loose.

ricepig

Quote from: Sue E NoNutts on July 06, 2014, 11:14:22 am
But how did 2 of those 3 runs get on base in the first place?  Contact.

Singles off the wall, they're slow......

Boarslab

I'd say contact for me too...most of the time these guys can play pretty much anywhere on the field, run the bases well, and generally have an overall good grasp on the the game.  With the BBCOR bats--not that many going out nowdays, but that may change with the new ball...Still, I'll take the contact guy anyday..

catcher15

Line drive hitters. If you get enough or the pitcher throws hard they leave the park. It's all about a good swing and a proper approach. Arkansas does not have a swing problem. We have an approach problem. We are batting scared. Afraid of failure. To defensive. We need confidence and the freedom to fail.

onebadrubi

Contact gap power, that an option?  At the div 1 level, a good contact hitter is going to hot his share of HR's except in Omaha. 

hoboco

i want a power hitter that makes good contact

SPAL

PorcineSublime

Quote from: catcher15 on July 09, 2014, 03:37:31 pm
Line drive hitters. If you get enough or the pitcher throws hard they leave the park. It's all about a good swing and a proper approach. Arkansas does not have a swing problem. We have an approach problem. We are batting scared. Afraid of failure. To defensive. We need confidence and the freedom to fail.
I have been preaching this for years. Seems like at times they are so tied up trying to have the perfect at bat, that they get down 0-2 before they even know what it is that they want to do, and then it is too late. Good contact hitters can make things happen in college baseball. Sometimes even when hitting at someone they don't make the play. But no one makes a contribution with the bat on their shoulder watching strike three. (I know I'm captain obvious).
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Kevin

put the ball in play. put pressure on the defense to make plays
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Boarslab

Quote from: PorcineSublime on July 13, 2014, 09:05:09 pm
I have been preaching this for years. Seems like at times they are so tied up trying to have the perfect at bat, that they get down 0-2 before they even know what it is that they want to do, and then it is too late. Good contact hitters can make things happen in college baseball. Sometimes even when hitting at someone they don't make the play. But no one makes a contribution with the bat on their shoulder watching strike three. (I know I'm captain obvious).
Chris Reynolds was talking about this on the MLB network the other day--that is that players now are too worried about watching 5 or 6 pitches and trying to run the pitch count up on the starting pitcher...He was advocating for being aggressive at the plate and hammer those 1st pitch strikes and screw the "good at bats" that result in watching strike 3 and heading back to the dugout looking.  He said his youth coach and high school coach would make them run to the foul pole if they got caught watching a 3rd strike.  I agree--I can't stand to watch that happen.  I see youth coaches having their players watch pitches go right down the gut without swinging way too often now days..heck with a "good at bat" hit the dang ball....that's a good at bat--not watching the pitcher ring you up or getting behind and then having to hit a bad pitch--that's a bad at bat usually....Reynolds also made the point that even if you do knock out the starter you're going to get 95mph slyders out of the bull pen anyway.  Pretty much the same with college players now too at the D1 level....Every D1 team and alot of other divisions have pitchers throwing heaters with movement too.

ucahogfan

Boarslab,

You mean Harold Reynolds and I watched the same roundtable you are talking about.

What I want out of an offense is one that is disciplined.  Now that doesn't mean watching the first pitch every time or even working the count.  I want a team that knows the situation and plays the game by the situation.  This isn't like a decade ago in college baseball where you can knock the starter out and get to some scrub reliever (at least in the SEC, pitching depth is insane and not found and this magnitude in another conference in college baseball).

I want players who attack the ball when they get their pitch to hit.  If they get out, no big deal, the best in college still fail 65 out of 100 times, but they got their pitch to hit and attacked it.  That is a disciplined AB IMO.  I don't like seeing hitters look at a very hittable pitch for strike 1 just for the sake of looking at a pitch and then chasing nasty breaking balls and getting out.

I'm not as big on called 3rd strikes in certain situations.  If it is a clear strike, then yes, you better swing at it.  If it is a borderline pitch and something you are likely to get out on 98% of the time anyway, see if you can it called a ball by the ump.

If we have a big lead in the middle of the game with our ace rolling, swing early in the count and get him back on the mound.  A 7 pitch inning there is better than a 20-25 pitch inning where the pitcher sits and cools off.  If it is a tie game in the 9th, attack your pitch and leave the others alone until 2 strikes.  If we are down a couple late, work the count and get on base.  That is a disciplined offense IMO.

Boarslab

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 19, 2014, 03:54:16 pm
Boarslab,

You mean Harold Reynolds and I watched the same roundtable you are talking about.

What I want out of an offense is one that is disciplined.  Now that doesn't mean watching the first pitch every time or even working the count.  I want a team that knows the situation and plays the game by the situation.  This isn't like a decade ago in college baseball where you can knock the starter out and get to some scrub reliever (at least in the SEC, pitching depth is insane and not found and this magnitude in another conference in college baseball).

I want players who attack the ball when they get their pitch to hit.  If they get out, no big deal, the best in college still fail 65 out of 100 times, but they got their pitch to hit and attacked it.  That is a disciplined AB IMO.  I don't like seeing hitters look at a very hittable pitch for strike 1 just for the sake of looking at a pitch and then chasing nasty breaking balls and getting out.

I'm not as big on called 3rd strikes in certain situations.  If it is a clear strike, then yes, you better swing at it.  If it is a borderline pitch and something you are likely to get out on 98% of the time anyway, see if you can it called a ball by the ump.

If we have a big lead in the middle of the game with our ace rolling, swing early in the count and get him back on the mound.  A 7 pitch inning there is better than a 20-25 pitch inning where the pitcher sits and cools off.  If it is a tie game in the 9th, attack your pitch and leave the others alone until 2 strikes.  If we are down a couple late, work the count and get on base.  That is a disciplined offense IMO.
Harold is correct...not Chris...

Hogtown1

We need contact hitters

Boarslab

Quote from: Hogtown1 on July 21, 2014, 07:01:23 am
We need contact hitters
Yes we do---with the pitching the way it is in every division and the bat's toned down contact is even more amplified.  Plus, speed and being base savvy stealing...Athleticism, all coaches want it on their team.