Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema: I don't want transfers rebound off legal issues

Started by 870hogfan, July 03, 2014, 05:23:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hook 'em Hogs

I think you all need to make sure you read the article. I think he would have been open to DGB coming based on the article. He wasn't saying he wouldn't take someone that had messed up, he was just saying that it would have to be the right situation. I think pretty much any coach in D-1 handles this on a "case by case basis" just like Bielema says in the article.

Uncommon

Good lord.  I swear people just take everything he says and someway or another twists it in their mind to where it insults someone.  Just like the time that imbecile wrote an article about Coach B simply taking a picture of a Chuck Norris poster in Green Submarine and tweeting that it was a funny poster.  That should've been taken at face value.

Instead, he writes how Coach B isn't with the times and is just now discovering Chuck Norris jokes.  AYFKM!?

MiHogsMi

I'm one of the first to criticize CBB for putting his foot in his mouth; and has he ever done that in spades.  However, there is "nothing to see here" with this statement.  I think CBB has finally learned to control his statements by the shytestorms he has previously started. 
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

After the way Becham played us on signing day I could care less who he plays for. We don't need any thugs either.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

WilsonHog

WilsonHog

Fatty McGee

Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Pickwick Hog

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 03, 2014, 07:19:14 pm
New bad improved MMQB, Extra Innings-style.

LOL. Hey, I didn't break the rules. Sometimes stupidity asks to be called out, but I understand what you're going for here.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

Fatty McGee

Augustus

Even if we need them, I'm completely fine with not pursuing Beckham or that kid from Tech who got dismissed this week.

A DUI (with no injuries/fatalities), or a one-time pot arrest? I can look over that. But when Bret isn't interested in "thugs" who jump people at bars, or push/hit women... I'll back him all day, everyday for that.

HOGINTENNESSEE

I'm cool with this. Especially since adding a DGB wouldn't put us over the Top anyway. As our team currently stands.

Uncommon

Quote from: Soonerman12 on July 03, 2014, 08:03:03 pm
Mocking Stoops had gotten him far. See Pre-Sugar Bowl comments towards stoops. Stoops 1- SEC/BB 0
Just want to get a Sooners fan's perspective.  What do you think about this transfer?  Do you agree or disagree?  Do you agree or disagree they should appeal to the NCAA for him to gain immediate eligibility?

dhizzle

Lets not act like Stoops is God over the SEC he is 4-4 I think. He was on a three game losing streak to the SEC.

Soonerman12

Quote from: Uncommon on July 03, 2014, 08:25:28 pm
Just want to get a Sooners fan's perspective.  What do you think about this transfer?  Do you agree or disagree?  Do you agree or disagree they should appeal to the NCAA for him to gain immediate eligibility?

Here's why I agree. Stoops is a strict coach. He's known as a no nonsense guy. He's taken in several players with multiple transgressions. He's changed them into good men. He's yet to make a bad decision on incoming transferes that were kicked off of teams. I trust him. I'll add that DGB has never been charged of anything and here's more info from reputable reporters: *First, Oklahoma will seek the waiver that will allow Dorial Green-Beckham to take part in games this season.

I know that seems obvious but the wording of their release made that a bit unclear.

The good news? As I understand things Oklahoma feels very confident about their standing to apply for the hardship as he was removed from Missouri without any charges ever being filed and the reality that there are several affidavits that the incident didn't go quite the way it was presented publicly. No one is claiming 'DGB' is an innocent but he wasn't quite the villain he has been portrayed as and apparently there is some legal backing to that idea.

Similarly interesting? In spite of the two drug related arrests - he has taken numerous drug tests while a part of the Missouri roster and has come back clean every single time. It sounds like he made a mistake once, and the Springfield incident (from talking to a pretty well-placed source) was something of a case of an example being made of the local star.

As one person said 'there is a lot of smoke but not much fire.'

But back to the waiver, there is real confidence that this can come off for Oklahoma in spite of the comments from John Infante in R.J.'s story earlier today. Basically if things are handled strictly 'by the book' then Oklahoma should have the star wide receiver this year. If it turns into a public relations situation then Oklahoma may be in a coin flip scenario.

*Green-Beckham to Oklahoma, has actually been in the works for quite some time and could have been completed before today but there were some problems in getting his paperwork from Missouri to Oklahoma. Today was more about finalizing some details, there were hopes of getting him enrolled, meeting his future teammates, etc. but as it was taken care of today - rather than earlier in the week as was initially planned/hoped - most of those who at Oklahoma who could have handled it were already headed home for the holiday. However, he did settle up his living arrangement while in Norman with his family.

*He will be enrolling and getting underway with team activities and classes with the rest of the players, as they return to Norman, on Tuesday, June 8.

*Interesting to me was, that while a few coaches are taking jabs at Oklahoma taking Green-Beckham, almost immediately there were loads of schools who got in touch with the family - which wasn't exactly within rules.

*Oklahoma, according to someone close to the situation, never contacted Green-Beckham until he had signed his release to other schools on May 15. It sounds as though once Oklahoma took interest - though there were three schools released to contact him - it was all but a foregone conclusion that he would end up in Norman.

A big part of that? Jay Norvell. Following his original commitment, and signing with, Missouri back in February of 2012 it was the Sooners co-offensive coordinator who was the only coach who congratulated the family and wished the former nation's No. 1 good luck in Columbia. As it was explained to me that seemingly small nicety did not go unnoticed, nor forgotten, by the Beckham family.

*As far as how he should handle himself in Norman, there was no talk of a zero tolerance ruling, again I got the impression from people that Oklahoma was a bit surprised - when they spoke with their contacts - that his incidents weren't more serious upon deeper review. The phrase I was given about what would be expected of him while he was on campus? 'He'll be on a very short leash'.

lumphog

So, you'll cheer for a thug that pushed a GIRL down the stairs ? COME ON MAN!!! at least he's not a child molester, you got that going for you

Augustus

Sooner... you sound just like all of the Mizzou fans who "didn't want to rush to judgement" the day after he assaulted a Woman.  (and, yes, he did... otherwise his "girl" wouldn't have been messaging the victim about not pressing charges)

There are more important things in life than Wins or Losses on a Saturday.

If that means not winning a National Championship, so be it. I'm fine with that. I do question how one arrives at that being acceptable to them, though.

Soonerman12

Quote from: Augustus on July 03, 2014, 11:42:41 pm
Sooner... you sound just like all of the Mizzou fans who "didn't want to rush to judgement" the day after he assaulted a Woman.  (and, yes, he did... otherwise his "girl" wouldn't have been messaging the victim about not pressing charges)

There are more important things in life than Wins or Losses on a Saturday.

If that means not winning a National Championship, so be it. I'm fine with that. I do question how one arrives at that being acceptable to them, though.

Yes. Drunk girls don't overreact, right? If there was evidence enough to charge the DA could do it themselves.

yraciv

He also assaulted a girl when he was highly intoxicated. I'm not trying to justify that as an excuse, but just pointing out he wasn't in a right state of mind.  Following DGB since high school, you can see that he has carried two very long relationships.  Makes me think that this kind of behavior is out of question. Yes it was wrong, but you've got to consider he saw this type of behavior while growing up.

In relation to the article, I'm assuming Bielema is talking about passing on Robbie Rhodes.  A 5 star WR with a troubled past of marijuana use. Like he said, everyone is on a case to case basis, but similar to DGB the major issue at hand here was a drug that should be legalized.  I have very little empathy for a kid who is stealing, not attending class, not showing up for practice.  etc., but a kid whose biggest problem is he can't pass a drug test fits in with a large percentage of college students.

Again though, I'm not in college and don't know the real story on all these guys.  I'll trust Coach B has the resources to dig into that.

Uncommon

Quote from: Soonerman12 on July 03, 2014, 11:28:46 pm
Here's why I agree. Stoops is a strict coach. He's known as a no nonsense guy. He's taken in several players with multiple transgressions. He's changed them into good men. He's yet to make a bad decision on incoming transferes that were kicked off of teams. I trust him. I'll add that DGB has never been charged of anything and here's more info from reputable reporters: *First, Oklahoma will seek the waiver that will allow Dorial Green-Beckham to take part in games this season.

I know that seems obvious but the wording of their release made that a bit unclear.

The good news? As I understand things Oklahoma feels very confident about their standing to apply for the hardship as he was removed from Missouri without any charges ever being filed and the reality that there are several affidavits that the incident didn't go quite the way it was presented publicly. No one is claiming 'DGB' is an innocent but he wasn't quite the villain he has been portrayed as and apparently there is some legal backing to that idea.

Similarly interesting? In spite of the two drug related arrests - he has taken numerous drug tests while a part of the Missouri roster and has come back clean every single time. It sounds like he made a mistake once, and the Springfield incident (from talking to a pretty well-placed source) was something of a case of an example being made of the local star.

But back to the waiver, there is real confidence that this can come off for Oklahoma in spite of the comments from John Infante in R.J.'s story earlier today. Basically if things are handled strictly 'by the book' then Oklahoma should have the star wide receiver this year. If it turns into a public relations situation then Oklahoma may be in a coin flip scenario.

*Green-Beckham to Oklahoma, has actually been in the works for quite some time and could have been completed before today but there were some problems in getting his paperwork from Missouri to Oklahoma. Today was more about finalizing some details, there were hopes of getting him enrolled, meeting his future teammates, etc. but as it was taken care of today - rather than earlier in the week as was initially planned/hoped - most of those who at Oklahoma who could have handled it were already headed home for the holiday. However, he did settle up his living arrangement while in Norman with his family.

*He will be enrolling and getting underway with team activities and classes with the rest of the players, as they return to Norman, on Tuesday, June 8.

*Interesting to me was, that while a few coaches are taking jabs at Oklahoma taking Green-Beckham, almost immediately there were loads of schools who got in touch with the family - which wasn't exactly within rules.

*Oklahoma, according to someone close to the situation, never contacted Green-Beckham until he had signed his release to other schools on May 15. It sounds as though once Oklahoma took interest - though there were three schools released to contact him - it was all but a foregone conclusion that he would end up in Norman.

A big part of that? Jay Norvell. Following his original commitment, and signing with, Missouri back in February of 2012 it was the Sooners co-offensive coordinator who was the only coach who congratulated the family and wished the former nation's No. 1 good luck in Columbia. As it was explained to me that seemingly small nicety did not go unnoticed, nor forgotten, by the Beckham family.

*As far as how he should handle himself in Norman, there was no talk of a zero tolerance ruling, again I got the impression from people that Oklahoma was a bit surprised - when they spoke with their contacts - that his incidents weren't more serious upon deeper review. The phrase I was given about what would be expected of him while he was on campus? 'He'll be on a very short leash'.
While I get what you're saying and some of it is true, the NCAA shouldn't allow him to play immediately because of recent criminal history.  He's not transferring because of an APR issue, a sick family member, or a coaching change.  He's transferring to Oklahoma because he got in trouble with the law and the school, whether charged or not.  And to me, that is not a valid reason for someone to get immediate eligibility.

Now referring to the situation, you are correct in that he was not charged with assault.  However, for there to be a bunch of headlines about the incident, and a swift decision to dismiss him from the Missouri program tells me something substantial did happen that night.  So to say what he did wasn't that bad frankly is a d!@#head comment.  Even if the story was exaggerated to some degree, the common theme from that night was that he used physical force of some kind on a woman which is not ok or not that bad.

One last thing, to say because the girls involved may have been inebriated to some degree so what was told is exaggerated is stereotypical bull crap and wrong.  So you're basically blaming them for DGB's dismissal from Missouri.  That's like blaming a woman who was inebriated for getting sexually assaulted.  It's not the victim's fault.  It's the assaulter's wrong doing.

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: yraciv on July 04, 2014, 12:03:44 am
He also assaulted a girl when he was highly intoxicated. I'm not trying to justify that as an excuse, but just pointing out he wasn't in a right state of mind.  Following DGB since high school, you can see that he has carried two very long relationships.  Makes me think that this kind of behavior is out of question. Yes it was wrong, but you've got to consider he saw this type of behavior while growing up.

In relation to the article, I'm assuming Bielema is talking about passing on Robbie Rhodes.  A 5 star WR with a troubled past of marijuana use. Like he said, everyone is on a case to case basis, but similar to DGB the major issue at hand here was a drug that should be legalized.  I have very little empathy for a kid who is stealing, not attending class, not showing up for practice.  etc., but a kid whose biggest problem is he can't pass a drug test fits in with a large percentage of college students.

Again though, I'm not in college and don't know the real story on all these guys.  I'll trust Coach B has the resources to dig into that.
We should have taken Robbie Rhodes!
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Soonerman12

Quote from: Uncommon on July 04, 2014, 12:17:22 am
While I get what you're saying and some of it is true, the NCAA shouldn't allow him to play immediately because of recent criminal history.  He's not transferring because of an APR issue, a sick family member, or a coaching change.  He's transferring to Oklahoma because he got in trouble with the law and the school, whether charged or not.  And to me, that is not a valid reason for someone to get immediate eligibility.

Now referring to the situation, you are correct in that he was not charged with assault.  However, for there to be a bunch of headlines about the incident, and a swift decision to dismiss him from the Missouri program tells me something substantial did happen that night.  So to say what he did wasn't that bad frankly is a d!@#head comment.  Even if the story was exaggerated to some degree, the common theme from that night was that he used physical force of some kind on a woman which is not ok or not that bad.

One last thing, to say because the girls involved may have been inebriated to some degree so what was told is exaggerated is stereotypical bull crap and wrong.  So you're basically blaming them for DGB's dismissal from Missouri.  That's like blaming a woman who was inebriated for getting sexually assaulted.  It's not the victim's fault.  It's the assaulter's wrong doing.
see other thread for response .

Augustus

Quote from: Soonerman12 on July 03, 2014, 11:53:45 pm
Yes. Drunk girls don't overreact, right? If there was evidence enough to charge the DA could do it themselves.

Dude. Seriously?

Soonerman12

Quote from: Augustus on July 04, 2014, 12:42:47 am
Dude. Seriously?

Just find this thread full of hypocrites. Had he chosen the hogs you'd be praising Beilema for trying to help him regain his life.

Uncommon

Quote from: Soonerman12 on July 04, 2014, 12:49:44 am
Just find this thread full of hypocrites. Had he chosen the hogs you'd be praising Beilema for trying to help him regain his life.
Bull crap.  I have no problem that he transferred to Oklahoma.  I have a problem with Oklahoma appealing the NCAA for him to gain immediate eligibility.  To me, you're not teaching DGB there are consequences for his previous actions.  What you're doing is enabling him and no lesson is learned.  And that isn't what DGB needs.  What he needs is some discipline in his life.  Not someone passing his problems on to the next team/coach so they can win until he performs his previous actions again since no punishment the first time.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Soonerman12 on July 03, 2014, 11:28:46 pm

I'll translate so you guys don't have to waste time reading this garbage. "DGB doesn't do drugs, he gets rides from people who sell them. See the difference? DGB doesn't push girls down stairs. It was the victims fault for being drunk and being a girl. Duh. It doesn't matter what DGB does because he catches passes." 

Augustus

Uh, NO... You can search my history. I have been saying the past few days that I'm glad Bielema didn't pursue him.

After DGB picked mizzou, and Tracy Beckham hooked up with Thayer Evans, for her tell-all... I was glad we didn't have him here.

After his multiple pot arrests? I was glad we didn't have him here.

After his alleged assault of a Woman? I was glad we didn't have him here.

He might be the caliber of student-athlete that OU is ok with... but in Arkansas, I'd like to think we hold our young men to a higher standard.

Personally, I think OU is just as good of a match for DGB, as mizzou was.

As Matt Hayes of SportingNews.com put it, hopefully he doesn't abuse ANOTHER woman, at OU, and OU faces a liability lawsuit to the tune of Millions.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2014-07-03/dorial-green-beckham-oklahoma-transfer-missouri-alleged-assault-potential-lawsuit-jeremy-hill-carlos-hyde?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Uncommon on July 04, 2014, 12:54:16 am
Bull crap.  I have no problem that he transferred to Oklahoma.  I have a problem with Oklahoma appealing the NCAA for him to gain immediate eligibility.  To me, you're not teaching DGB there are consequences for his previous actions.  What you're doing is enabling him and no lesson is learned.  And that isn't what DGB needs.  What he needs is some discipline in his life.  Not someone passing his problems on to the next team/coach so they can win until he performs his previous actions again since no punishment the first time.

Nicely said.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Pork Twain

Quote from: Fatty McGee on July 03, 2014, 07:29:12 pm
At least someone else is old enough to get the reference. 
Do you remember where it came from?  I do but just because of AFN commercials
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

I would have taken him and Dyer and in the right situation I bet most coaches would as well.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

twistitup

On interview with Bo....coach B said there " is a zero tolerance policy for drugs and alcohol....umm errr drugs"

He changed his answer mid sentence from drugs and alcohol to just drugs. I know coach B has a soft spot for drinking...but in all honesty I think alcohol causes more issues than a little weed. It's strange that something as devastating as alcohol can be so socially accepted, but less harmful substances are vilified.

Drugs are bad but alcohol? Hell....drink up!!

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Pork Twain

lefty08

All I can say about the positive posts towards DGB is........wow. its a sad world when we can justify things this punk did. Really sad. For a football game? Really people? It all disgusts me
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Hog N Bama

Quote from: OS2 (SW) Razor Back on July 03, 2014, 07:08:05 pm
After the way Becham played us on signing day I could care less who he plays for. We don't need any thugs either.
Well said !

Hog N Bama

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 04, 2014, 01:00:56 am
I'll translate so you guys don't have to waste time reading this garbage. "DGB doesn't do drugs, he gets rides from people who sell them. See the difference? DGB doesn't push girls down stairs. It was the victims fault for being drunk and being a girl. Duh. It doesn't matter what DGB does because he catches passes."
Ha... wow... best post of the thread.  Right on

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on July 04, 2014, 06:12:25 am
On interview with Bo....coach B said there " is a zero tolerance policy for drugs and alcohol....umm errr drugs"

He changed his answer mid sentence from drugs and alcohol to just drugs. I know coach B has a soft spot for drinking...but in all honesty I think alcohol causes more issues than a little weed. It's strange that something as devastating as alcohol can be so socially accepted, but less harmful substances are vilified.

It's not against NCAA rules on alcohol, pretty sure that was the context of his remark if you read it or heard it.

SquidBilly

Quote from: Uncommon on July 04, 2014, 12:54:16 am

Agreed and the only reason they are pushing for immediate eligibility is that they know he is going pro after this season whether he plays or not.  Guaranteed if he doesn't get his immediate eligibility that Stoops isn't going to waste his time or a scholarship on him.

RazorPiggie

DGB is a POS. And there is no way he should be able to play this coming season. But it is the ncaa we are talking about.

Hoggish1

Maybe, but the kid should not be allowed to play immediately!

lefty08

Some would for sure, but had he not chosen your school, you wouldnt be defending him either
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

ChitownHawg

Funny you say you are intuitive enough to know we are hypocrites, yet not intuitive enough to realize you are on a Razorback board. What did you expect? Praise for your school's "people hepin buzness"?

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

onebadrubi

Quote from: twistitup on July 04, 2014, 06:12:25 am

Spoken like a true stoner right there

Hawgzinbowlz

I like CBBs approach to team conduct. We don't need the drama.

I'm really glad that DGB is taking his issues to Norman, and not bringing them to Fayetteville. I don't wish DGB ill. The Razorbacks don't need to provide rehabilitation for any player.

" GO HOGS "

bigpigonthehill

How the hell did we wind up like this? Why weren't we able to see the signs that we missed? And try to turn the tables. Nothing is wrong, just as long as you know that someday I will. Some day, Some how. Gonna make it alright but not right now. I know you're wondering when.

RollHogTide

I am glad to hear that about Coach Bielema.  I wish all coaches would take the same stance. 

Fayettechill14

Kinda like 2/3rds or more of this board was opposed to taking on Michael Dyer? "Trying to help him regain his life" should probably include time AWAY from a major BCS campus...

forrest city joe

I can't stand OU or Stoops. but he is doing whatever it takes to win.and i have no problem with it.the reason i don't want DGB at Arkansas, is because of what he did coming out of HS. not because of the other stuff. maybe this is why Stoops kicked Saban and Bama's butt. and we lost to them 52 to 0, 2 years in a row. TPTB at OU are doing whatever it takes to win. good for them.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: PorkRinds on July 04, 2014, 01:00:56 am

That's not at all what it says.  What it points out is that, contrary to the rush to judgment mentality of most sports fans, the first story you read in a newspaper about an incident is not the only one. 

There are often conflicting accounts, and the truth isn't always what you think it is if all you've read is one article.  Obviously with the girl incident, there were multiple takes, and the truth is up in the air.  Unless you believe that the Columbia PD are all of the sudden soft on crime and their prosecutors don't care either.  Which of course is yet another easy conclusion you may want to jump to without, you know, actually learning the full story.  Which it appears OU has by doing about 1000 times more investigation than 99.9% of the people on message boards who are spouting their opinions.

So basically we have a player with a couple weed arrests, a girlfriend argument with a number of different stories, and one misdemeanor conviction, right?  This is the evil we need to keep out of our fine school?

But by all means, let's assume we know it all and condemn this guy forever.  Unless of course he'd have chosen to come here in the first place.  THEN we'd all have a much more nuanced, deep understanding of the facts.

Such is fandom.