Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DGB denied eligibility

Started by ThatGUY, July 03, 2014, 12:50:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

John Talty @JTalty  ·  2h
Think DGB should be eligible immediately at Oklahoma? Read @megankarmstrong timeline first.

https://twitter.com/meganKarmstrong

Megan Armstrong @meganKarmstrong  ·  2h
I reported on that DGB incident. He wasn't charged because the victims were too afraid of the backlash.

Megan Armstrong @meganKarmstrong  ·  2h
Upsetting RT "@jasonkersey: Officials feel confident about Dorial Green-Beckham's chances for immediate eligibility http://bit.ly/1scVvjW "
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Joe Walljasper, Columbia Daily Tribune: The Oklahoman newspaper reported that University of Oklahoma officials feel "very confident" that former Missouri wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham will be granted immediate eligibility for the Sooners, rather than having to sit out a year per NCAA transfer rules.

The loophole being exploited is a 2-year-old NCAA guideline known as the "run-off rule," which is meant to protect athletes who are shoved out despite doing nothing wrong except, perhaps, not being good enough at their sport. If this criteria doesn't seem to apply to Green-Beckham, it shouldn't.

QuoteDGB wasn't kidnapped, blindfolded and driven to a parking lot behind Memorial Stadium for an involuntary weed party that was rudely interrupted by campus police during his freshman year. He wasn't abducted by the owners of a rolling cannabis dispensary when he was arrested in January in Springfield. He has yet to be charged for the second incident — and might not be — but he was willingly along for the ride.

And the incident that got him run off for good? Well, the police report didn't mention restless-leg syndrome as causing Green-Beckham to force his way into an apartment where he wasn't wanted — leaving a doorknob-sized hole in the wall. There was nothing in the report about Green-Beckham "involuntarily" shoving a woman down a set of stairs. Green-Beckham wasn't arrested, but that was only because the alleged victim thought pressing charges would be more trouble than it was worth.

But perhaps the most convincing arguments that Green-Beckham wasn't a victim of circumstances at Missouri are these: 6-foot-6 and 225 pounds; 4.4 seconds in the 40-yard dash; 59 catches, 883 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2013.

mizzouman

OU is waiting for some paper work from Mizzou. From what I've heard, the paper work will be in favor of DGB playing right away.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: mizzouman on August 03, 2014, 06:52:45 pm
OU is waiting for some paper work from Mizzou. From what I've heard, the paper work will be in favor of DGB playing right away.

What is Mizz's reasoning for this? To say his dismissal was beyond his control is pretty much a lie.

mizzouman

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on August 03, 2014, 07:09:35 pm
What is Mizz's reasoning for this? To say his dismissal was beyond his control is pretty much a lie.
They want to help the kid and see him succeed, but he needed to get out of Columbia and have fesh start.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: mizzouman on August 03, 2014, 08:37:39 pm
They want to help the kid and see him succeed, but he needed to get out of Columbia and have fesh start.
Yea, I'm sure he learned his lesson. lol  The lesson he learned is as long as you're a really good athlete normal rules don't apply to you.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

NoNC4Tubs

Wanna bet that DGB winds up in trouble in Norman before the end of the year?  8)

mizzouman

Quote from: NoNC4Tubs on August 04, 2014, 07:16:38 am
Wanna bet that DGB winds up in trouble in Norman before the end of the year?  8)
Let's hope not.

The Boar War

I am just so thankful that he wasn't corrupted in Fayetteville.  If this could happen at the nurturing, family environment of Columbia I shudder to think what might have happened at Arkansas.

tigerinhogtown

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on August 03, 2014, 07:09:35 pm
3 fold in my opinion:
1) they want DGB to be successful
2) they need to be able to say in recruiting they helped him even though he shot himself in the foot.  Other coaches could have a field day at Mizzou expense pointing out how they ruined a 5 stars football life.
3) still want his brother to be a Tiger

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: tigerinhogtown on August 04, 2014, 03:50:04 pm
3 fold in my opinion:
1) they want DGB to be successful
2) they need to be able to say in recruiting they helped him even though he shot himself in the foot.  Other coaches could have a field day at Mizzou expense pointing out how they ruined a 5 stars football life.
3) still want his brother to be a Tiger

Interested to see if the NCAA takes the statement below into account when Mizz writes that letter.

"We have a high standard of conduct for our student-athletes," Alden said.  "Though we provide the resources and mentoring to all of our student-athletes, we are also responsible to the community at large and to the ideals and values of the University of Missouri.  We have determined that this was a necessary step for our football team, athletic department, the University and our community

BigSexyHog

If he plays just close down and stop any and all NCAA activities cause they will be the biggest joke of all time.  Even a bigger joke then what they are currently.  Let's hope they do the right thing.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

jbcarol

Dorial Green-Beckham rebounds from rough start at OU

QuoteNORMAN — When Oklahoma added Missouri castoff Dorial Green-Beckham a month ago, skeptics included one of the Sooners' most valued coaches.

"To me, going into it, I thought this guy is going to be a pain and throw our whole karma off as far as leadership and all that stuff," said Jerry Schmidt, who has been OU's strength and conditioning guru for all 16 years of Bob Stoops' tenure as head coach.

jbcarol

Martina Del Bonta @MartinaFOX23  ·  24h
Check it out: DGB suited up for OU at practice today #Sooners (Via @SamGannon87)
http://instagram.com/p/rVHqHxL8di/

Rzbakfromwaybak

August 06, 2014, 05:14:46 pm #65 Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 06:28:13 pm by Rzbakfromwaybak
Quote from: jbcarol on August 03, 2014, 06:14:43 pm

Joe Walljasper, Columbia Daily Tribune: The Oklahoman newspaper reported that University of Oklahoma officials feel "very confident" that former Missouri wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham will be granted immediate eligibility for the Sooners, rather than having to sit out a year per NCAA transfer rules.

The loophole being exploited is a 2-year-old NCAA guideline known as the "run-off rule," which is meant to protect athletes who are shoved out despite doing nothing wrong except, perhaps, not being good enough at their sport. If this criteria doesn't seem to apply to Green-Beckham, it shouldn't.

Sounds like Oklahoma (& probably the NCAA) have got this "run-off rule", all mixed up.  They got the part that says..."shoved out"...mixed up with ..."shoved down stairs"....& who is supposed to be protected by rules & laws.  Protects athletes, but disregards athletes drug arrests & females getting shoved down stairs by athletes??  Logic certainly doesn't play into this way of thinking....but that's exactly why the NCAA may very well go for it.

If Oklahoma & DGB get away with this, & he has instant eligibility......wonder if others will see a green light on how to get a transfer immediately, & not lose eligibility??   
If so, we may be reading an increase in stories about women getting slugged by football players.

No problem here.  Oklahoma says he has been there a whole month & hasn't been arrested....or shoved anybody down....(females included)....as far as they know.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on August 06, 2014, 05:14:46 pm
Sounds like Oklahoma (& probably the NCAA) have got this "run-off rule", all mixed up.  They got the part that says..."shoved out"...mixed up with ..."shoved down stairs"....& who is supposed to be protected by rules & laws.  Protects athletes, but disregards athletes drug arrests & females getting shoved down stairs by athletes??  Logic certainly doesn't play into this way of thinking....but that's exactly why the NCAA may very well go for it.

If Oklahoma & DGB get away with this, & he has instant eligibility......wonder if others will see a green light on how to get a transfer immediately, & not lose eligibility??   
If so, we may be reading an increase in stories about women getting slugged by football players.

No problem here.  Oklahoma says he has been there a whole month & hasn't been arrested....or shoved anybody down....(females included)....as far as they know.
How many trips to Colorado has he made since being in OK?

jbcarol

Megan Armstrong @meganKarmstrong  ·

Anyway, DGB dismissed from Mizzou a day before 21st birthday. I genuinely hope he's better man by his 22nd, hope victims are emotionally OK.

Retweeted by Megan Armstrong
RICHELLE CAREY @RichelleCarey  · 

Oh. And hitting women isn't the result of a mental illness.

Justintime75

If the NCAA wants to appear as impartial as they claim to be (I'm joking, right?), then they have to judge this based on the FACTS as they APPLY to this "run-off" rule. The facts don't add up to the intention of the rule, despite any letter of recommendation from Missouri or the pleadings of a powerhouse program like OU. If not, they run the risk of not being in the position to rule against anyone attempting to exploit this loophole. Sets a very damning precedent.

There likely will (hopefully) and SHOULD be a large backlash from both the public and the media if the NCAA rules for immediate eligibility. In this case, there's just no logic for allowing it.

jbcarol

Jeremy Fowler @JFowlerCBS  ·  Aug 12
The NCAA has #Oklahoma's eligibility appeal for Dorial Green-Beckham. http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jeremy-fowler/24657952/oklahoma-officially-files-dorial-green-beckhams-appeal-to-ncaa ...

QuoteThe Sooners are making a case under the "run-off" waiver, that he lost his spot on Mizzou's roster out of his control.

The Sooners expect to get cooperation from Mizzou, which is necessary for run-off cases.

jbcarol

Excuse me if I'm a little bit skeptical about the superpowers taking a hard look at enforcement in autonomy. (See Jameis Winston and Cedric Ogbuehi).

One man's student-athlete welfare is another man's total bastardization of the rules.

QuoteDodd: Let's be clear, DGB was not run off when he was dismissed from Missouri in April. For you --or the NCAA -- to believe that you'd have to dismiss the receiver being the subject of burglary investigation. You'd have to ignore a disturbing police report alleging Green-Beckham assaulted a woman. No charges were filed.

In that sense, the receiver can transfer anywhere he wants. He just can't do it at Missouri because of those legal run-ins. Anything else is a twisting of the rules.

Hey, it's happened before, unfortunately.

It's also a bad look for Oklahoma and Stoops.

Let's be clearer: Perhaps the best player in last year's SEC title game wasn't run off. He ran out of chances at Missouri. Green-Beckham had been arrested twice for incidents involving marijuana. Shortly after Green-Beckham's dismissal, AD Mike Alden spoke to reporters about a rash of off-field issues involving Missouri athletes. Those issues included DGB's situation.

"It's unacceptable to be able to see that type of behavior," he said.

Unacceptable. Alden mentioned the word three other times in a meeting with reporters.

Now the NCAA is being asked to rule Green-Beckham eligible immediately because the situation is "outside the control of the student-athlete."

What?

Unacceptable implies DGB was responsible for his actions. Give the kid credit for standing up.

"I've been young and dumb," he said in a statement shortly after an initial suspension for the third incident.

"When you have a series of incidents over the course of the last year and a half with regards to one individual, certainly those aren't things you can disregard," Alden told reporters in April. "I think you've got to add all of those together."

Sure, players deserve second chances. But this situation implies that elite players really deserve second chances. Oh, and by the way it would be a fourth chance for Green-Beckham...

jbcarol

NewsOKSports @NewsOKSports  ·  4h
BREAKING: Sooners running back Joe Mixon suspended for 2014-15 season.

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  4h
"Just go somewhere new, man." - Dorial Green-Beckham to Joe Mixon, probably

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: jbcarol on August 18, 2014, 08:20:05 pm

NewsOKSports @NewsOKSports  ·  4h
BREAKING: Sooners running back Joe Mixon suspended for 2014-15 season.

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  4h
"Just go somewhere new, man." - Dorial Green-Beckham to Joe Mixon, probably

Lol.......now this is rich.  Mixon got in a physical alteration with a female at a café that resulted in gross injury......& gets suspended for the year.

DGB throws a girl down the stairs & gets welcomed with open arms.  This puzzling on/off punishment being dealt out,  can only mean one thing.  Oklahoma has more good RB's......than receivers.

jbcarol

Tony Barnhart @MrCFB  · 
Should Dorial Green-Beckham get an NCAA waiver to play at Oklahoma this season? Absolutely not. And here's why.
http://mrcollegefootball.blog.ajc.com/2014/08/17/should-dorial-green-beckham-play-this-fall-absolutely-not/ ...

grayhawg

Quote from: jbcarol on August 19, 2014, 04:25:30 pm
Tony Barnhart @MrCFB  · 
Should Dorial Green-Beckham get an NCAA waiver to play at Oklahoma this season? Absolutely not. And here's why.
http://mrcollegefootball.blog.ajc.com/2014/08/17/should-dorial-green-beckham-play-this-fall-absolutely-not/ ...
Yeah but he's going to OU.

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  1h
Pinkel on DGB to SECN: "I want this to work out for him. Lesson's learned. ... The most important thing for me is DGB as a person he's OK.

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  58m
Alden and Pinkel about to address media on OTL/Washington/Title IX report

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  49m
Pinkel said he talked to Washington about the rape allegation after police interviewed him. "He denied it."

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  48m
Pinkel says he had "other information, quite honestly" on Green-Beckham that led to his dismissal. Said other info was "confidential"

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  41m
After 2010 incident, Pinkel said to Washington, "Two years ago and now this? This is serious. You might be dismissed. We've got problems."

That was paraphrasing Pinkel.

Pinkel on ESPN's FOI requests not turning up his emails: "Ask any of my friends: I don't email a whole lot. I'm not a big email guy."

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  3s
Pinkel on his outside info related to DGB dismissal: "I had to do what's right. Regardless of what the police did, I did the right thing."

jbcarol

Gabe DeArmond @GabeDeArmond  ·  1h

Pinkel on differences between DGB and Washington situations: "I had other information, quite honestly, that I knew that would help me make a decision and the decision was that I had to remove him."

ricepig

Schad: OU announces NCAA Dorial Green-Beckham appeal for immediate eligibility was denied

jbcarol

Quote from: ricepig on August 22, 2014, 07:23:06 pm
Schad: OU announces NCAA Dorial Green-Beckham appeal for immediate eligibility was denied

Dr. Starcs

jbcarol

"The University of Oklahoma has learned that the waiver request it entered on behalf of Dorial Green-Beckham has been denied by the NCAA. The University accepts that decision and will continue to provide the appropriate assistance to Dorial, just as it does with other students, in helping him grow personally from the many opportunities available to him at OU."

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: jbcarol on August 22, 2014, 09:43:04 pm

"The University of Oklahoma has learned that the waiver request it entered on behalf of Dorial Green-Beckham has been denied by the NCAA. The University accepts that decision and will continue to provide the appropriate assistance to Dorial, just as it does with other students, in helping him grow personally from the many opportunities available to him at OU."

Even the NCAA gets something right every now & then....

dhornjr1

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on August 23, 2014, 01:49:23 am
Even the NCAA gets something right every now & then....

Even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while.

Calling All Hogs

Stated grounds for the waiver were ridiculous. They might as well have argued he is an alpha male by birth and was discriminated against for exercising natural dominance over women. The attempt to get the waiver makes OU a joke.

lefty08

Just saw on another board the NCAA has denied his waiver request. Kudos to the NCAA for once
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

razorbackkid

Saw this yesterday on Espn.  I think there is a thread in the SEC forum about it.

Couldn't have happened to a better kid......:)

I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

arkfan81

Have faith...

rzrbackrob

Good is the enemy of great

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: lefty08 on August 24, 2014, 03:19:14 pm
Just saw on another board the NCAA has denied his waiver request. Kudos to the NCAA for once
But, but...........how can that be so?! Coach "Big Game" Bob's heavenly inspired attempt to "save" DGB from his past transgressions aren't being fully appreciated by the mean spirited, heartless meanies at the NCAA. What's this world come to that such injustice is allowed to exist! :'(

lefty08

Quote from: razorbackkid on August 24, 2014, 03:22:04 pm
Saw this yesterday on Espn.  I think there is a thread in the SEC forum about it.

Couldn't have happened to a better kid......:)

didnt even think to look there, sorry guys
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

lefty08

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: arkfan81 on August 24, 2014, 03:24:42 pm
Is this hog related?
Nah, but it IS hilarious under the circumstances.

lefty08

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 24, 2014, 03:26:28 pm
Nah, but it IS hilarious under the circumstances.

He basically got free use of the facilities from OU so he can prepare for the NFL  Poor BOB

razorbackkid

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 24, 2014, 03:25:19 pm
But, but...........how can that be so?! Coach "Big Game" Bob's heavenly inspired attempt to "save" DGB from his past transgressions aren't being fully appreciated by the mean spirited, heartless meanies at the NCAA. What's this world come to that such injustice is allowed to exist! :'(
Axis of Evil pure and simple.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Pickwick Hog

That was a well deserved "No" to his meddling parents too.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: lefty08 on August 24, 2014, 03:27:21 pm
He basically got free use of the facilities from OU so he can prepare for the NFL  Poor BOB
Now what just a minute there lefty. I have it on VERY good authority that DGB's sincere interest in receiving a quality college education stands second only to his goal and desire to be an outstanding moral example for others. I mean he only wanted a fresh start after the female who ALLEGED he hit her wouldn't own up to the fact SHE ran into his fist and caused the whole ugly incident at Mizzou.

lefty08

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 24, 2014, 03:33:00 pm
Now what just a minute there lefty. I have it on VERY good authority that DGB's sincere interest in receiving a quality college education stands second only to his goal and desire to be an outstanding moral example for others. I mean he only wanted a fresh start after the female who ALLEGED he hit her wouldn't own up to the fact SHE ran into his fist and caused the whole ugly incident at Mizzou.

haha i stand corrected. strike the record!

Jek Tono Porkins

It doesn't mean he won't play at OU, it means he won't play this season. OU just tried to get him a waiver so he could play this year.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/big12/2014/08/22/green-beckham-to-sit-at-ou-after-ncaa-decision/14470397/

"NCAA rules require players to sit out a season when they transfer from one FBS school to another, but Oklahoma requested a waiver to allow Green-Beckham to play this season on the grounds he was "run-off" the team at Missouri."

Right, because Ol' Bob wants the best from his student athletes and it was just unfair that DGB couldn't stay away from the herb and couldn't curb his obviously inherited desire to push women down stairs.

STFU Bob and I hope you choke again this year, preferably against Kansas.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

jbcarol

Berry Tramel @BerryTramel  ·  23h
College football: What it's like to be a district attorney in a college town http://bit.ly/1zkbCg6