Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DGB denied eligibility

Started by ThatGUY, July 03, 2014, 12:50:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NoNC4Tubs

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 24, 2014, 03:25:19 pm
But, but...........how can that be so?! Coach "Big Game" Bob's heavenly inspired attempt to "save" DGB from his past transgressions aren't being fully appreciated by the mean spirited, heartless meanies at the NCAA. What's this world come to that such injustice is allowed to exist! :'(

Maybe a Mizzou tiger sent them a picture of the "boz" at the Orange bowl with a certain T-shirt on from years ago just to remind them of what OU football thinks about the NCAA..........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

Dave Matter @Dave_Matter  ·  4h
Pinkel on DGB not getting waiver: "I want him to use this year to really help himself so he can come back and have a great year after that."

To add context, Pinkel declined to comment whether NCAA's waiver decision on DGB was the right call. Just hopes he makes most of the year.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

HAWGENGINEER

I live here in Oklahoma and most of the fans here didn't expect him to be able to play anyhow. Think it is more ho hum, usual business. Good decision by the NCAA. Now let's see if he can stay out of trouble for an entire year. History is not on his side.
"To the optimist, the glass is half full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." - Unknown

backout60

I didn't expect him to get a waiver. But after jeremiah masoli I thought he had a slim chance.

But he gives us great looks on scout team and helps train our young DBs.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: ricepig on August 22, 2014, 07:23:06 pm
Schad: OU announces NCAA Dorial Green-Beckham appeal for immediate eligibility was denied

Doom on Him.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

thirrdegreetusker

folks on hogville just don't understand the peepa heppin bidness

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  28m

Dorial Green-Beckham would likely not be at Oklahoma post-Ray Rice, Sooners AD says | http://ow.ly/BwTe6
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

nationwish

Quote from: jbcarol on September 15, 2014, 03:22:26 pm
AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  28m

Dorial Green-Beckham would likely not be at Oklahoma post-Ray Rice, Sooners AD says | http://ow.ly/BwTe6

That tells me the AD is a coward without real moral standing. If something is wrong now, it was wrong before.

pigture perfect

I don't think he should play anywhere again. He has run out of lives.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

thefisher

This article on one time Razorback target DGB seemed appropriate at this time.

If Adrian Peterson and Ray Rice are getting suspended from the NFL for abuse to ladies then perhaps the Oklahoma Sooners are in for a publicity nightmare. Consider that DGB recently transferred to Oklahoma after being booted from the Mizzou squad by Pinkel. The dismissal of DGB occurred because of a police report saying Green-Beckham had forced his way into his girlfriend's home and pushed her roommate down four stairs. The report also said Green-Beckham dragged his girlfriend out of the apartment by her neck.

The Sooners are going to have a tough time with this it would seem.

Perhaps some market pressure on those sending dollars into the University of Oklahoma would be appropriate at this time.

As you may recall this was not DGB's first "issue" while at Mizzou.  It was hardly a case of Oklahoma just seeing a youngster making a mistake and giving him a second chance.

DGB had already had been charged with two separate drug counts before the night of assaulting the ladies recorded in the police report.

Article can be seen at:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/oklahoma-ad-joe-castiglione-says-ou-wouldn-t-have-recruited-dorial-green-beckham-now-in-light-of-increased-attention-to-domestic-abuse-164952496.html
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

KCHOGFAN

Hypocrites.  I can't fathom how OU can defend Joe Mixon and keep him around the program. 

Michael D Huff AIA

Living in Oklahoma the media here are complete and total OU apologists.  The Mixon story is strange to say the least, but the story wasn't "football player punches woman" it was "what happened to star football player to make him punch woman" or "woman got punched but has prior criminal record". 

Next season the Sooners will have DGB AND Mixon on the same field.  Arkansas might be Running Back U, but OU is Domestic Violence U.  #DVU

Granny fan

I am soooo glad he didn't come to Arkansas!

Mulberry Squeezins

Quote from: Michael D Huff AIA on September 17, 2014, 09:17:29 am
Living in Oklahoma the media here are complete and total OU apologists.  The Mixon story is strange to say the least, but the story wasn't "football player punches woman" it was "what happened to star football player to make him punch woman" or "woman got punched but has prior criminal record". 

Next season the Sooners will have DGB AND Mixon on the same field.  Arkansas might be Running Back U, but OU is Domestic Violence U.  #DVU

Cleveland County is rich recruiting ground, especially the jailhouse.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

PorkRinds

Classic OU.  We were fine with a woman beater before it became such a bad PR move.  Now, not so much.

Uncommon

Quote from: twistitup on September 17, 2014, 01:00:29 pm
OU wouldn't do it the same way today...bad image move for OU

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/oklahoma-ad-joe-castiglione-says-ou-wouldn-t-have-recruited-dorial-green-beckham-now-in-light-of-increased-attention-to-domestic-abuse-164952496.html
I didn't mind that Oklahoma gave him a second chance.  That is ok in my book.  But to appeal the NCAA to play immediately when it is known the incident did occur like it was foretold but just not charged due to "not wanting to face the backlash from fans." was stupid and disgusting.  By appealing the NCAA, you basically said that what he did was excusable (no punishment) and it clearly wasn't excusable.  If you're a female Oklahoma Sooners fan and were supporting the appeal, you have no morality what so ever.

Vantage 8 dude

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/oklahoma-ad-joe-castiglione-says-ou-wouldn-t-have-recruited-dorial-green-beckham-now-in-light-of-increased-attention-to-domestic-abuse-164952496.html
Interesting. So the OU gooners are saying that because of the recent pub surrounding domestic abuse they'd likely not be interested in DGB. It took the added negative press to FINALLY cave in to what should have been their attitude all along. Funny how when someone asked CBB about this he didn't have to wait or rely on national attention to be brought to bear. He pretty much said he's not interested in trying to gain from another kid's troubles. Perhaps "Big Game Bob" should have thought about that when he made his idiotic "pitch" to Green-Beckham. Nah, on second thought that actually would have taken some major gonads; that's something ole Bobby boy will never be accused or mistaken for having.

Calling All Hogs

I now suspect DGB will play two years at OU not to prove his skills but to put as much distance between his past and draft day. If he came out next year for the draft in the current NFL climate, he would risk not getting drafted at all. 

Torqued pork

OU is riding high now. I doubt if anyone there is genuinely worried about PR fallout over DGB.

I doubt many of us would be if we were in their shoes.

KlubhouseKonnected

Translation, "we don't have a problem with violence against women but we are concerned with public perception."
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

trippigs

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 17, 2014, 01:10:47 pm
Classic OU.  We were fine with a woman beater before it became such a bad PR move.  Now, not so much.

+1
You nailed it....they are so transparent

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Torqued pork on September 17, 2014, 01:37:49 pm
OU is riding high now. I doubt if anyone there is genuinely worried about PR fallout over DGB.

I doubt many of us would be if we were in their shoes.

DGB can't even play this year so this is really only news in Missouri,  Oklahoma and Arkansas.

forrest city joe

OU is getting away with something that's as bad or worse than what Ray Rice did. Joe Mixon got suspended for a year, and then he can come back and play football for them. he threw a punch so hard that he broke 3 bones in a young woman's face. this guy should have been throw out of school for that. he should never get the chance to play for OU. what are they thinking by keeping him in their program.this is a disgrace. and the media has said very little about it. he also played the race card. i am a black man. and i don't care what this young Lady said to him, or did to him.you don't ever do that to a woman. she did not have a Gun or a knife coming after of him. he should have walked away.the Mixon story has been way under reported.

KCHOGFAN

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 17, 2014, 02:08:43 pm
OU is getting away with something that's as bad or worse than what Ray Rice did. Joe Mixon got suspended for a year, and then he can come back and play football for them. he threw a punch so hard that he broke 3 bones in a young woman's face. this guy should have been throw out of school for that. he should never get the chance to play for OU. what are they thinking by keeping him in their program.this is a disgrace. and the media has said very little about it. he also played the race card. i am a black man. and i don't care what this young Lady said to him, or did to him.you don't ever do that to a woman. she did not have a Gun or a knife coming after of him. he should have walked
away.the Mixon story has been way under reported.

I agree FCJ.  Very much under reported by the Media.  Mixon should have been kicked off the team.  I did read a report that media saw the video of the punch and it was very disturbing. 

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

forrest city joe

Quote from: KCHOGFAN on September 17, 2014, 02:13:24 pm
I agree FCJ.  Very much under reported by the Media.  Mixon should have been kicked off the team.  I did read a report that media saw the video of the punch and it was very disturbing. 
If that video ever get's out to the public. i think there will be a lot of outrage about it. problem is it will never be released by the D.A. or the Norman OK police department. he broke 3 bones in that young woman's face. the D.A. only charged Mixon with a misdemeanor, when he should have been charged with a felony.he could have killed that young lady.yet all he get's is what amounts to is a red-shirt year. this is sad and sickening.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 17, 2014, 02:08:43 pm
OU is getting away with something that's as bad or worse than what Ray Rice did. Joe Mixon got suspended for a year, and then he can come back and play football for them. he threw a punch so hard that he broke 3 bones in a young woman's face. this guy should have been throw out of school for that. he should never get the chance to play for OU. what are they thinking by keeping him in their program.this is a disgrace. and the media has said very little about it. he also played the race card. i am a black man. and i don't care what this young Lady said to him, or did to him.you don't ever do that to a woman. she did not have a Gun or a knife coming after of him. he should have walked away.the Mixon story has been way under reported.
Some very good points FCJ. Yep, while I realize that everyone's entitled to making a mistake, OU's obviously taking the approach that "boys will be boys" by looking the other way until someone calls their hand. A PATTERN is where more than one player is allowed to slide or basically get away with a slap on the wrist. From what I can determine the Mixon situation is just as bad as the stunt DGB pulled off. Anytime a guy uses a woman as a punching bag he ought to be slapped himself with a huge penalty/suspension. OU should be ashamed (if they can even feel such) for their lack of handling both situations promptly and courageously.

Sad to think that "Big Game" Bob Stoops has become so desperate to try to match some of the success and thunder of the SEC that he not only crows about beating 'Bama in the Sugar Bowl but the beating his players administer to their lady friends. Some people are truly miserable examples of humanity.

Paul

the article says the video will be released Nov 1.  I'll bet OU drops Mixon like a hot potato then.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 17, 2014, 01:10:47 pm

LOL yeah pretty much.

rzrbackrob

Big Game Bob's obsession with the SEC has caused him and his AD to lose all moral bearing.

They have to see what is right and wrong by looking outside themselves instead of looking within.
Good is the enemy of great

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on September 17, 2014, 01:20:14 pm
Interesting. So the OU gooners are saying that because of the recent pub surrounding domestic abuse they'd likely not be interested in DGB. It took the added negative press to FINALLY cave in to what should have been their attitude all along. Funny how when someone asked CBB about this he didn't have to wait or rely on national attention to be brought to bear. He pretty much said he's not interested in trying to gain from another kid's troubles. Perhaps "Big Game Bob" should have thought about that when he made his idiotic "pitch" to Green-Beckham. Nah, on second thought that actually would have taken some major gonads; that's something ole Bobby boy will never be accused or mistaken for having.
I really hope DGB backfires big time on OU. Scums! Kinda interesting Adrian Peterson came from that program.

RazorRick77

I hate to admit it, but Missouri deserves props for getting out in front of this and cutting him loose. I will never respect anything about OU.

OLDHOG

I never respected OU anyway, even less now. Typical sooner crap.

The Divine Swine

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on September 17, 2014, 04:32:44 pm
LOL yeah pretty much.

No, not pretty much, but rather 100% exactly. purely pathetic.
Romans 10:9-10

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

The Divine Swine

Romans 10:9-10

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

reddogjcss

PorkRinds

Hindsight is always 20/20. A little foresight would have helped them quite a but though.

onebadrubi

Quote from: RazorRick77 on September 17, 2014, 05:31:22 pm
I hate to admit it, but Missouri deserves props for getting out in front of this and cutting him loose. I will never respect anything about OU.

People seem to be overlooking this!   Props to them

The Boar War

It's OU.  Even their mascot is based on a disregard for basic rules. 

WashUhog6

It's bothersome to me that so many use a hindsight-style admission in an attempt to mask their egregious lack of foresight.

Millions of fans knew it was a bad idea for OU to bring in DGB based on his dismissal from Mizzou. OU has no claim to "hindsight" in this situation--they knew exactly what they were doing.

jjdlc

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on September 17, 2014, 01:20:22 pm
I now suspect DGB will play two years at OU not to prove his skills but to put as much distance between his past and draft day. If he came out next year for the draft in the current NFL climate, he would risk not getting drafted at all.

His draft stock would most likely be very low after this year, due to what's going on, however, he's going to have to keep his nose very very clean, or he may end up the next Michael Dyer.

Hawgzinbowlz

The NewEra

It's been said, and rightly so (paraphrasing) "Character is doing the right thing when people aren't looking".  Stoops showed his lack of character with his initial decision.

KennyForAD

Knew DGB was a POS long ago.
Knew OU was a POS long ago.

gchamblee

I feel confident that we wont have to endure any coverups or explanations for our behavior while CBB is our coach. I am not saying our players will never do anything disgusting, although I think he doesnt recruit those types, I am just saying I feel very confident that CBB will handle it the proper way and it wont have anything to do with PR. It is just the man he is. I am very proud of the type of student athletes we have right now, and culture we are operating in under the leadership of Long and Bielema.

I was disgusted with the fans that mocked integrity like it was a bad thing after Petrino. We are very lucky to be under the leadership of men whose hand shake is as binding as a signed contract, who think education is more important than victories and who recruit quality human beings as well as athletes. As a parent, I would be thrilled if my child chose to play for Arkansas, regardless of who else they had offers from.

Wright43

Quote from: The Boar War on September 17, 2014, 09:17:03 pm
It's OU.  Even their mascot is based on a disregard for basic rules.

Hahaha exactly! The first time I heard someone explain what a Sooner was, the first thing I said was "so you guys picked cheaters as a mascot? You're literally called the Oklahoma Cheaters?"

Be careful bringing that up with Sooner fans though, they're quite prideful cheaters.

Also Joe Mixon should have been kicked out of the university entirely, not just the football team for a year. At the absolute minimum kicked off campus housing, off team and scholarship revoked.

RedRock

DGB is another example of why Stoops is the most classless person in CF.

Quote from: Wright43 on September 18, 2014, 03:40:46 am
Hahaha exactly! The first time I heard someone explain what a Sooner was, the first thing I said was "so you guys picked cheaters as a mascot? You're literally called the Oklahoma Cheaters?"

Be careful bringing that up with Sooner fans though, they're quite prideful cheaters.

Also Joe Mixon should have been kicked out of the university entirely, not just the football team for a year. At the absolute minimum kicked off campus housing, off team and scholarship revoked.
No way could OU justify this move after having just gone and actively recruited another person that committed the same offense. Lawyers line up on the left.