Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Qualls invited to LeBron Skills Academy

Started by Hawg Red, July 03, 2014, 11:40:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

Dr. Starcs

Wonder if "how not to cramp on the worlds biggest stage" will be covered.

TomBigBeeHog

Qualls impressed at the Durant Camp. Hope he continues to shine at the Lebron Skills Academy and has a great year at Arkansas and plays himself into a first round draft pick projection.

http://theshadowleague.com/articles/who-shined-at-the-2014-kevin-durant-nike-skills-academy

In the college ranks, you might want to pay extra attention to these players and their schools when filling out your March Madness brackets:

JAMES WOODARD, University of Tulsa, 6-foot-3 Junior – Woodard led Tulsa in scoring and rebounding last year and exhibited a very smooth, clean perimeter stroke at the KD Skills Academy. He looked very poised and comfortable and he can contribute in more ways than just his advanced scoring ability.

MICHAEL QUALLS, University of Arkansas, 6-foot-6 Junior – Qualls displayed some supreme athleticism and hops. He is at his best in a fast paced transition game. With close to a 7-foot wingspan, he came up with an inordinate share of rebounds, blocked shots and loose balls while showing a willingness to scrap and excel at some of the game's less glamorous aspects.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

-Blu

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on July 03, 2014, 12:18:29 pm
Qualls impressed at the Durant Camp. Hope he continues to shine at the Lebron Skills Academy and has a great year at Arkansas and plays himself into a first round draft pick projection.

http://theshadowleague.com/articles/who-shined-at-the-2014-kevin-durant-nike-skills-academy

In the college ranks, you might want to pay extra attention to these players and their schools when filling out your March Madness brackets:

JAMES WOODARD, University of Tulsa, 6-foot-3 Junior – Woodard led Tulsa in scoring and rebounding last year and exhibited a very smooth, clean perimeter stroke at the KD Skills Academy. He looked very poised and comfortable and he can contribute in more ways than just his advanced scoring ability.

MICHAEL QUALLS, University of Arkansas, 6-foot-6 Junior – Qualls displayed some supreme athleticism and hops. He is at his best in a fast paced transition game. With close to a 7-foot wingspan, he came up with an inordinate share of rebounds, blocked shots and loose balls while showing a willingness to scrap and excel at some of the game's less glamorous aspects.

nice to see Qualls getting some more national attention, can't do anything but help the university.

And this is a bit off topic, but seeing the Tulsa player being mentioned made me think about Haith talking about setting up a rivalry with Arkansas.  Did anything ever come of that?  I thought Mike would at least entertain a home/home with them, they would be a decent opponent to bring into Bud Walton arena.

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on July 03, 2014, 12:27:15 pm
nice to see Qualls getting some more national attention, can't do anything but help the university.

And this is a bit off topic, but seeing the Tulsa player being mentioned made me think about Haith talking about setting up a rivalry with Arkansas.  Did anything ever come of that?  I thought Mike would at least entertain a home/home with them, they would be a decent opponent to bring into Bud Walton arena.

If Haith wants to play every game in BWA, sure...lets set that up.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 03, 2014, 12:32:38 pm
If Haith wants to play every game in BWA, sure...lets set that up.

I'd welcome a 2 for 1 . . . a single game in Tulsa vs. two in BWA.  Not far away and a good recruiting tool for us, IMO.  Plus it helps that RPI!

-Blu

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on July 03, 2014, 01:02:17 pm
I'd welcome a 2 for 1 . . . a single game in Tulsa vs. two in BWA.  Not far away and a good recruiting tool for us, IMO.  Plus it helps that RPI!

That's probably not going to happen, it's a new day and age in college basketball, Tulsa was a tournament team last year, and they are in the AAC conference, if we get any advantage it will be us getting the first home game of a home/home series.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: -Blu on July 03, 2014, 12:27:15 pm
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

jbcarol

2014 Kevin Durant Skills Academy Measurements and Analysis

Quote-Michael Qualls earned some buzz for his highlight reel explosiveness last year, and measured out extremely well here. Standing 6'6 in shoes with a terrific 6'11.5 wingspan, Qualls is in the same ballpark in terms of size as Xavier Henry and Josh Childress when they were coming out of school and seems to have the physical tools to defend both wing positions at the next level if he continues to add strength to his 198-pound frame.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jry04

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 03, 2014, 11:42:00 am
Wonder if "how not to cramp on the worlds biggest stage" will be covered.
Not sure, but "how to be the best player in the world" may be.

-Blu

Quote from: jry04 on July 03, 2014, 08:07:59 pm
Not sure, but "how to be the best player in the world" may be.

LOL +1

Never understood people trying to make fun of Lebron for cramping.  It was 90 something degrees in that arena, and he was playing a ton of minutes.  I can remember being out in the hot sun in high school during 2 a days in football, people were always catching cramps, they are no joke.  I don't care how tough you think you are, your not playing through cramps.

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

Buck Brewer

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on July 03, 2014, 01:02:17 pm

A single game in Tulsa at the BOK maybe but not at their place. The Nolan Classic

nationwish

Quote from: Buck Brewer on July 03, 2014, 09:07:46 pm
A single game in Tulsa at the BOK maybe but not at their place. The Nolan Classic

The BOK is not a good basketball arena. It may seat more people, but that is about it. I went to the Thunder preseason game last year because my firm got tickets. They ended up being in the upper level, and the seats gave us a football game view in a basketball arena, and that isn't a good thing.

Foshodo

i just hope whatever caused his temper tantrum in the middle of last year is past him... he doesnt play well at all when he's cranky apparently

Hogvillage Idiot

Quote from: poloprince on July 03, 2014, 08:19:01 pm
Qualls is getting major pub.
I'm somewhat surprised he is not nominated for an espy for that kentucky dunk.
"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."

Jack Kemp

intelligence

Malik Monk and Anton Beard are scheduled to attend as well

Buck Brewer

Quote from: nationwish on July 06, 2014, 09:00:52 am
The BOK is not a good basketball arena. It may seat more people, but that is about it. I went to the Thunder preseason game last year because my firm got tickets. They ended up being in the upper level, and the seats gave us a football game view in a basketball arena, and that isn't a good thing.

Welcome to most all new arenas with suite levels, they are not designed to be basketball only like BWA  and it's sightlines but you play there for additional seats which benefits Hog fans and a more neutral setting and what's see as a upgrade.

MP24

January 01, 2019, 08:53:32 am »
I love me some Chelsea Dungee.

jbcarol

Mike Qualls @Mr_WALKONAIR  ·  11h

They told me I wouldn't do it and couldn't do it and shouldn't do it til I did it #GrindHardStayFocused #Humble pic.twitter.com/9xqeYlhN1U

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

DOGALUM

Quote from: jbcarol on July 10, 2014, 10:35:59 am
Mike Qualls @Mr_WALKONAIR  ·  11h

They told me I wouldn't do it and couldn't do it and shouldn't do it til I did it #GrindHardStayFocused #Humble pic.twitter.com/9xqeYlhN1U

There is some perspective on how big Lebron is. 

That's a great pic for Qualls.   
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

opineonswine

Michael Qualls is probably the best player (most talent) on the team.  Portis would challenge obviously.  And I like him.  I hope he has a stellar year.

Biggus Piggus

It's fascinating that Qualls got to attend two premier camps. Here's his SEC line last season: 10 points, 4 rebounds, 37% 2-point shooting, 32% on threes. That inside shooting percentage tells you all you need to know about his shot selection and willingness to bang inside. He had six blocked shots in 18 games. Was third on the team in minutes, sixth in fouls. Showed an aversion to physical play, and the Hogs badly needed more rebounding and defense. What is Qualls's game? MA and Qualls seemed to differ on his role, sometimes hotly.
[CENSORED]!

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: opineonswine on July 10, 2014, 02:05:01 pm
Michael Qualls is probably the best player (most talent) on the team.  Portis would challenge obviously.  And I like him.  I hope he has a stellar year.

He's easily the most gifted athlete. But most talented? He needs to be able to actually put the ball on the floor and attack with some efficiency before he can be the most talented on this team.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 11, 2014, 03:44:33 pm
It's fascinating that Qualls got to attend two premier camps. Here's his SEC line last season: 10 points, 4 rebounds, 37% 2-point shooting, 32% on threes. That inside shooting percentage tells you all you need to know about his shot selection and willingness to bang inside. He had six blocked shots in 18 games. Was third on the team in minutes, sixth in fouls. Showed an aversion to physical play, and the Hogs badly needed more rebounding and defense. What is Qualls's game? MA and Qualls seemed to differ on his role, sometimes hotly.

Until he can effectively use dribble penetration, he's strictly catch & shoot/dunk. Towards the end of last season, he seemed to fall too 'in love' with camping out on the wing for perimeter jumpers, and nothing else.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

rusvegashog

Quote from: -Blu on July 03, 2014, 03:47:33 pm
That's probably not going to happen, it's a new day and age in college basketball, Tulsa was a tournament team last year, and they are in the AAC conference, if we get any advantage it will be us getting the first home game of a home/home series.
We shouldn't feel a bit entitled. Everything NWA knows about athletics they picked up from Tulsa, OK. That might be a bit of a stretch, but I don't think it's too far off especially in football. Just an opinion and a bit tongue and cheek. We should want to be in that recruiting base. I wish we played TU or OU or OSU every year. I'd love a home and home w TU in basketball and makes all the sense in the world especially w CMA's ties. Also very happy for Michael Qualls seems to me he's doing all the little things he needs to do to be recognized so glad he's returning.

poloprince

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 11, 2014, 03:44:33 pm

Not having a practice facility really hurts, but Qualls has upside and that is what the NBA has transformed to.  It's all about his potential.  You can teach shooting and dribbling, but jumping veritically 40'+ can't be taught.
$PoLoPrInCe$

chiefhawg

Update from a pro.

Coach John Lucas @CoachJohnLucas1  ·  17m
Michael Qualls is filling it up. Looking polished from the perimeter. #LeBronJamesSkillsAcademy

chiefhawg

And this:

Coach John Lucas ‏@CoachJohnLucas1  7m
Arkansas Michael Qualls has been 1 of the highest energy players here&showed he can hit the NBA 3. #LeBronJamesSkillsAcademy #RAzorbackMBB

trashcan maN

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 11, 2014, 03:56:00 pm
He's easily the most gifted athlete. But most talented? He needs to be able to actually put the ball on the floor and attack with some efficiency before he can be the most talented on this team.
Agree, but I thought Qualls showed a nice first step and good penetration skills; he just didn't have very good touch around the rim. Missed alot of point blank shots last year.

I think he could have a massive breakout year this year.

1highhog

Quote from: DOGALUM on July 10, 2014, 10:44:17 am
There is some perspective on how big Lebron is. 

That's a great pic for Qualls.   

Same thing I was thinking, Lebron is one big dude.

nextlevel

Quote from: chiefhawg on July 12, 2014, 01:46:56 pm
And this:

Coach John Lucas ‏@CoachJohnLucas1  7m
Arkansas Michael Qualls has been 1 of the highest energy players here&showed he can hit the NBA 3. #LeBronJamesSkillsAcademy #RAzorbackMBB

He has been giving Qualls high praise all week long from the tweets I've seen, but I haven't been on twitter much lately.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

nextlevel

Quote from: 1highhog on July 12, 2014, 03:21:11 pm
Same thing I was thinking, Lebron is one big dude.

then

Qualls at the same point

The difference between college and the pros as far as conditioning and strength building has always stood out in MJ, for me:

Very few players develop "NBA" bodies while in college.
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

1highhog

Quote from: nextlevel on July 12, 2014, 04:03:40 pm
then

Qualls at the same point

The difference between college and the pros as far as conditioning and strength building has always stood out in MJ, for me:

Very few players develop "NBA" bodies while in college.

All except Corliss, who actually was asked to tone down some when he got in the NBA.  But yeah, MJ stayed pretty much a beanpole until he got tired of getting beat up by the Pistons, then he really transformed his body for the banging he was getting, same with Pippen.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: 1highhog on July 12, 2014, 05:47:04 pm
All except Corliss, who actually was asked to tone down some when he got in the NBA.  But yeah, MJ stayed pretty much a beanpole until he got tired of getting beat up by the Pistons, then he really transformed his body for the banging he was getting, same with Pippen.
Thats because Corliss was a twiner in the NBA and couldn't just play in the paint.

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

nextlevel

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on July 12, 2014, 09:45:13 pm
Thats because Corliss was a twiner in the NBA and couldn't just play in the paint.

Yeah, that happens too sometimes.

Another good example is Shaq, I think most think of him from his late Orlando/Lakers days and forget just how "small" he was in college.

Because of the way a skinny Barry Bonds became a muscled up home run hitting machine, it makes you question some of this and if their hat size changed along with their bicep size, lol.

ell oh ell

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: nextlevel on July 12, 2014, 10:56:32 pm
Yeah, that happens too sometimes.

Another good example is Shaq, I think most think of him from his late Orlando/Lakers days and forget just how "small" he was in college.

Because of the way a skinny Barry Bonds became a muscled up home run hitting machine, it makes you question some of this and if their hat size changed along with their bicep size, lol.

Shaq probably would've had a more effective finish to his career if he wouldn't have put on so much weight.  I know his game was based on being physical, but he was still hard to guard when he came into the league.

nextlevel

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on July 12, 2014, 11:11:52 pm

Shaq probably would've had a more effective finish to his career if he wouldn't have put on so much weight.  I know his game was based on being physical, but he was still hard to guard when he came into the league.

He wasn't hard to take out of the game while at LSU, leave Big O at the top of the key taking him out of the lane while Dale sat confused on the sideline like playing zone was illegal, lol, but yeah he was still a good player while being "smaller", the smaller version could still rip the goals in Phoenix down.

This is getting off topic a little, Qualls doing so well in these camps may lead to an early exit to the NBA, replacing him early will suck, but it should be a boost for MA by putting a non family member/friend/acquaintance into the NBA, a non highly rated star wise prospect out of HS at that.

ell oh ell

1highhog

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on July 12, 2014, 11:11:52 pm

Shaq after playing against Big O figured he was going to have to put on all that weight, there was no way he could move all 375lbs of Big O at the size he was at LSU.

rzrbackramsfan

Shaq at lsu looks like what trey Thompson could be in a year.

Foshodo

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on July 12, 2014, 09:45:13 pm

they tried to force him to do what he wasnt good at... when Webber went down and they let him do his thing, he averaged about 17/7 a game... his limitations were brought on by being in Sacramento... not due to him being a tweener

same way the Lakers kept on bringing in guys to kick Fisher out of the starting lineup but every year by the 20th game or so they'd given up on the "name" and Fisher was the guy again...

the same way Ronnie Brewer averaged 14 ppg as a fourth option on Utah to scoring 2 points in a month.

too many players are forced into doing what they arent good at doing...