Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All Roads Lead Through Lubbock

Started by razorjack12, July 02, 2014, 10:01:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorjack12

Roads to a bowl bid that is.   Arkansas simply must beat the Red Raiders to go bowling this season.  With that in mind, probably the biggest matchup is Arkansas OL vs. Texas Techs DL.

Tech runs a 3-4 defense and is shoring up their defensive front with a host of Juco's.

The following is Techs prospective depth chart on their DL, which includes each players Rivals star rating and offer list.   

Defensive Tackle

(1)  Jackson Richards  SR  6-5/275 LBS   
Best Offers: LSU, UCLA, aTm, Arkansas, North Carolina

(2)  Demetrius Alston JR 6-3/260 LBS
Best Offers: Tennessee, Kansas State

(3) Keland Mcelrath  JR 6-6/290 LBS
Best Offers: W Va, Kansas, Kentucky

(4) Donte Phillips JR 6-2/290 LBS
Best Offers: Penn St, Indiana

Average weight of DT:  279 LBS
Average weight Ark OL: 318 LBS

Nose Guard

Rika Levi Juco transfer 6-2/350 LBS
Best Offers: Oregon, Missouri, Washington

Anthony Smith  Juco transfer 5-10/325 LBS
Best Offers: AZ St, OKla St, Wake Forest

Marcus Smith Juco Transfer 6-3/305 LBS
Best Offers: Louisville, other Mid Majors

Defensive End

Branden Jackson JR 6-4/240 Lbs
Best Offers: USC, Oregon, Mich State, Iowa, North Carolina

Brandon Thorpe JR 5-6/275 LBS
Best Offers: Mid Majors

Gary Moore RS FR 6-5/220 LBS
Best Offers: Mizzou, TCU

So Basically Tech has a slew of undersized DTs and are relying on a bunch of Juco's at NG.

PonderinHog

Fix our avg. OL weight fast, man.  Dang, that was fast!

razorjack12

PonderinHog

razorjack12

Lets compare the Tech DL with Arkansas' projected 2 deep OL:

Dan Skipper SO 6-10/317 Lbs
Rivals Rank: 3 Star
Best Offers: Mich, Ohio St, OKla, Tenn, Az St

Mitch Smothers JR 6-4/315 Lbs
Rivals Rank: 3 Star
Best Offers: Bama, Aub, UCLA, OK State

Luke Charpentier SR 6-4/320 Lbs
Rivals Rank: 3 Stars
Best Offers: Kentucky, Mid Majors

Denver Kirkland SO 6-5/348 Lbs
Rivals Rank: 4 Stars
Best Offers: Aub, Fla St, Miami, USC, UCLA

Brey Cook SR 6-7/328 Lbs
Best Offers: Bama, USC, Notre Dame, OKla, Fla St, Aub

Reeve Koehler FR 6-4/340 Lbs
Rivals: 4 Stars
Best Offers: Fla St, Georgia, Tenn, Wash, Az St

Cordale Boyd SO 6-3/298 Lbs
Best Offers: N Car, Ole Miss, Miss St

Grady Ollison JR 6-5/309 Lbs

Marcus Danenhauer JR 6-5/316 Lbs
Best Offers:  ???

Austin Beck JR 6-7/305 Lbs
Best Offers: Baylor, Illinois, Missouri

Waiting in the wings:

Brian Wallace FR 6-6/305 Lbs
Best Offers: Bama, Georgia, Ohio State, Neb

Frank Ragnow FR 6-6/291 Lbs
Best Offers: Ohio State, Neb, Fla State

Sebastian Tretola JUCO 6-5/315 Lbs
Best Offers: Fla, OKla, TCU

Cameron Roberson TRANSFER 6-6/305 Lbs
Rivals Rank: ?

Al Boarland

If we can score 30 we have a shot.

RyeHogFan

I know you meant to put that Brandon Thorpe was a 6-5 DE for Tech but I just gotta funny picture in my head of a 5-6 275 lb guy playing football.

The Hogfather

razorjack12

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 03, 2014, 05:58:14 pm
We will dominate TT.
Its possible that our OL will manhandle Techs DL.  If not, gonna be a long day in Lubbock.

Arkansas Fan

The Hogfather

Quote from: razorjack12 on July 03, 2014, 06:27:40 pm
Its possible that our OL will manhandle Techs DL.  If not, gonna be a long day in Lubbock.

Oh, bull...

Hogwild

I agree that this will be a major factor in whether or not we go bowling?

I see that they are small but are they any good?  Does anyone know TTech postion rankings for their conference.

I saw Athlon had this to say about our OL yesterday.
10. Arkansas
Line coach Sam Pittman is one of the best in the nation, and the Razorbacks have some promising young talent on the way. There's a good bit of potential with this group, especially if tackle Dan Skipper and guard Denver Kirkland build off promising freshman campaigns. Senior Brey Cook is expected to start at right tackle and could push for all-conference honors. UNLV transfer Cameron Jefferson joins the competition for time at left guard, while Mitch Smothers and Luke Charpentier will battle to replace Travis Swanson at center.

razorjack12

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 03, 2014, 08:10:34 pm
Oh, bull...
Is that so?

So with our style of offense you are telling us that if our OL doesn't dominate their DL then we will still win?

Please explain.

Raiderman

Quote from: razorjack12 on July 03, 2014, 06:27:40 pm

That's how I see it too. Sure wish 5* MLB Mike Mitchell (transfer from tOSU) had won his NCAA appeal to be eligible this season.  On the bright side, for the first time in 5 years Tech defenders will be playing for the same DC in consecutive years. Familiarity with the system should help them play faster.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

TTU will be our Rutgers this year.  We lose to them and it could get ugly fast.  We beat them and we have something to build on.

opineonswine

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 03, 2014, 05:58:14 pm
We will dominate TT.

We will not be favored.  IF we DO dominate them, it will be a sure sign of progress.  I agree it is a key game.

Hollywood_HOGan45

We have a history of dominating Texas Tech.

I see this upcoming year as no different. If our back 7 on defense is worth anything whatsoever in this game, it will be a long afternoon for Texas Tech.

razorjack12

Quote from: Raiderman on July 04, 2014, 03:30:23 pm
That's how I see it too. Sure wish 5* MLB Mike Mitchell (transfer from tOSU) had won his NCAA appeal to be eligible this season.  On the bright side, for the first time in 5 years Tech defenders will be playing for the same DC in consecutive years. Familiarity with the system should help them play faster.

I'll be curious to see how Rika Levi does.  That guy is HUGE.   

Lake City Hog

In a 3-4 we had better have guys getting to the Linebackers! If their line can just occupy our linemen they have done their jobs. That will leave 4 linebackers to fill gaps and make tackles.

For us to be really successful running the ball we had better establish the 5 to 8 yard passes to our tight ends. We need to run routes that force their linebackers into just enough of a back pedal to allow our running backs to get to the second level.

If we go into this game or any game with a one-dimensional mindset we will struggle. Yes, we need to play ball control to keep them off the field, but we need to be able to strike quickly too.

BigMikehogg

It would seem like with a solid running game that we can dominate.Adding some play action passes to where the linebacker area would make it even harder on their defense.Even sweeps and tosses and passes to the back out of the backfield could easily wear them down to where running straight at them would be no problem at all.

Oklahawg

Winning on the road would certainly bode well for the future. And, prep us well for the A&Ms of the world. Not just for helping us get bowl-eligible, but learning to win again.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Davis Webb was the only QB on the Tech campus at the time spring drills ended. They were hoping for a "recruited walkon" to join the ranks this summer to provide depth.

Webb is getting some favorable press this summer. I originally thought he was injured, as one report earlier in the summer said the "recruited walkon" search was for a starter. Davis gives them someone with a year in the system and experience in 5 games. He was out for part of 2013 due to a mysterious ailment that caused him to lose something like 40 pounds in a week.

Webb's experience is beyond that of BA this time a year ago, but not by much. The difference is the Tech system is all about exploiting what the QB can do. Getting to Davis will be a key. The Tech OL is not huge, but the WR corps has a lot of speed and experience.

As the OP notes, the Tech front is weak, but they are hoping the four JUCOs they signed can help. They were NOT GOOD last year but they feel some promise about a smallish LB corps. This looks like a defense that can be run over should the UA OL have itself together. I can see the UA TEs have a field day - Tech has a very young secondary to boot, and small LBs bode well for TE play-action.

I continue to try and convince myself that Tech is the tipping point game for the season. Win on the road against a team that does what UA was horrible at last year and the confidence of the program will soar. Lose in a close one and the team will have no reason to not believe they can win. Lose big and all sorts of doubts will start creeping in again.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

intelligence

Wed be fools to underestimate tech. Our ol may dominate their dline but their secondary will be solid though considerably young Wed better prepare to challenge them vertically or they will load the block. I think play action and 15 yard out routes will be the key to our success in offensively, but it may not be enough if we can't defend the pass

Tick Hog

Someone did one of these same post last year before the Samford game about how much we outweighed their DL and would run at will. Heck we wore them out so much that we hired their coach. Sometimes a smaller quicker DL that shoots gaps can really hold their own. Anyway I figure that the O/U will be set at about 80 points and I will be betting over all day. Neither team can play D. People that like high scoring affairs should love this one

HogWildBison2011

If we can come out of Auburn with a win the TT fans will crap a brick.

razorjack12

Quote from: Tick Hog on July 05, 2014, 05:29:50 am
Someone did one of these same post last year before the Samford game about how much we outweighed their DL and would run at will. Heck we wore them out so much that we hired their coach. Sometimes a smaller quicker DL that shoots gaps can really hold their own.
We ran for 333 Yds against Samford.

The Hogfather

I actually think he is thinking of Rutgers.

three hog night

Quote from: lchog on July 04, 2014, 06:56:33 pm
In a 3-4 we had better have guys getting to the Linebackers! If their line can just occupy our linemen they have done their jobs. That will leave 4 linebackers to fill gaps and make tackles.

For us to be really successful running the ball we had better establish the 5 to 8 yard passes to our tight ends. We need to run routes that force their linebackers into just enough of a back pedal to allow our running backs to get to the second level.

If we go into this game or any game with a one-dimensional mindset we will struggle. Yes, we need to play ball control to keep them off the field, but we need to be able to strike quickly too.

I agree with this.   I think the TE's will create problems as receivers AND blockers.  I also think we will have to go deep enough to keep the safeties from focus on run support.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

hawg66

In their last six games a year ago, Tech gave up an average of 292 ypg rushing and lost five of the six.  They held no one under 275, and now they're rebuilding the front 7.  If Arkansas can't run over Tech, that's a bad sign.

I think The Hogs will dominate both lines of scrimmage and win relatively convincingly.  Not without some struggles, but somewhere around 31-21.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on July 04, 2014, 05:07:26 pm

I see this upcoming year as no different. If our back 7 on defense is worth anything whatsoever in this game, it will be a long afternoon for Texas Tech.

Almost everybody in the SEC has a history of dominating Texas Tech:

0% vs Alabama 0-1
0% vs LSU 0-1
0% vs LSU 0-2
20 % vs Arkansas 7-28
33% vs Mizzou 3-6
36% vs MissSt 2-4-1
40% vs Ole Miss 2-3
46% vs A&M 32-37
50% vs Tennessee 1-1
50% vs Vandy 0-0-1
100% vs Auburn 1-0

Mike_e

Looking back only succeeds in bruising your shins.

None the less, we should be able to win this game if we play to our strengths on O and cause some disruption on D.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

razorjack12

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 05, 2014, 09:38:29 am
I actually think he is thinking of Rutgers.
Rutgers is actually a good example, however this is where Rutgers can be distinguished from Tech:

(1).  Rutgers DL was small, but some of their players were very highly touted recruits, including at least one 5 Star.   Techs DL is an ad hoc collection of mostly 2 and 3 star players and recently arrived JUCOs.

(2).  We didn't have a passing game against Rutgers because we were down to our 3rd string QB who was a converted LB.   Rutgers was able to stack the box.  If Brandon Allen is healthy it should give us an added dimension we didn't have in New Jersey last year.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: hawg66 on July 05, 2014, 11:12:51 am
In their last six games a year ago, Tech gave up an average of 292 ypg rushing and lost five of the six.  They held no one under 275, and now they're rebuilding the front 7.  If Arkansas can't run over Tech, that's a bad sign.

I think The Hogs will dominate both lines of scrimmage and win relatively convincingly.  Not without some struggles, but somewhere around 31-21.
Could Definitley see that happening.

I highly doubt they will be able to handle our off line and running backs.

razorjack12

I'm not saying we'll beat Tech of our OL dominates their DL.   

But we will most assuredly lose if our OL doesn't dominate.

BatesvilleHOG

Arkansas will beat the dog piss out of tech's D.

Expect a 32-17 Hog Victory

Jek Tono Porkins

Texas Tech was giving up over 200 rushing yards a game to Big XII teams.

We'll run all over them. The question will be whether or not we can stop their offense.

If the game develops into a shootout, we'll be in trouble.

But if we can control the clock, limit TT's offensive possessions, and get some key stops or God willing, turnovers on defense, we'll win.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: ReddieHawg on July 05, 2014, 07:07:50 pm
Texas Tech was giving up over 200 rushing yards a game to Big XII teams.

We'll run all over them. The question will be whether or not we can stop their offense.

If the game develops into a shootout, we'll be in trouble.

But if we can control the clock, limit TT's offensive possessions, and get some key stops or God willing, turnovers on defense, we'll win.

They will not be able to block our DEs either. Trey Flowers, Wise, Winston will have a great afternoon in their backfield.

Raiderman

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on July 04, 2014, 05:07:26 pm

Hmmmm. Tech owns a 2 game win streak versus Arkansas. In fact, Tech dominated both games. So you're saying Tech is destined to win because of past results? Sign me up! You the man!  ;)

lefty08

Quote from: Raiderman on July 06, 2014, 12:24:35 am
Hmmmm. Tech owns a 2 game win streak versus Arkansas. In fact, Tech dominated both games. So you're saying Tech is destined to win because of past results? Sign me up! You the man!  ;)

Seems you think the opposite based on the last 2 meetings.  Whats the difference?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on July 05, 2014, 08:59:42 pm
They will not be able to block our DEs either. Trey Flowers, Wise, Winston will have a great afternoon in their backfield.

I think their goal will be to not have to block them longer than a split second. TT ran an average, an average mind you, of 87 plays per game last season. Compare that to Auburn's 72 and our 65. They are going to throw the quick dink and dunk passes most of the time. As we know, this is not only their passing game, but the short, quick passes are their running game as well.

There isn't any doubt that if we can get some coverage on their receivers for a few split seconds and give our front four a chance to get to their QB (with occasional blitzes) that we can interrupt the rhythm and potential momentum of their offense. We won't stop them, but we can and need to limit them.

And of course, we have to have longer sustained drives and then score TD's (not FG's) when we get in the RZ.

Do these things and we can win this game. Let them throw at will and we probably won't.
Go Hogs Go!

hawgwild child

After updating the new NCAA rosters I just played Ark vs Texas Tech.  So this is how it will go down.  Ark wins 34-28
Notable Stats
Passing
Allen 13-19 194 yds 2 TD's
Rushing
Collins 27att 191 yds 1 TD
Williams 6att 18 yds (left game in 2nd Quarter)
Marshall 6att 45 yds
Walker 1att 1 yd 1 TD
Receiving
Henry 4rec 59 yds 1 TD
Hatcher 3rec 56 yds 1 TD
Wilson 2rec 28 yds
Hawkins 2rec 26 yds
Mitchell 1rec 21 yds
Walker 1 rec 4 yds
Turning point of game, Texas Tech fumbles kick return and allows ark to go up 10-0

Westcoasthog

Lets face the facts - ALL ROAD GAMES LEAD THROUGH AT AUBURN. 

RaiderHunter

Texas Tech has two OL who are going to the NFL after this year, and their quarterback is top 10 in the nation. Their offense is why Texas Tech is going to win; Arkansas can't outscore the Red Raiders in Lubbock without a bevy of turnovers and a mysterious slew of offensive miscues on Davis Webb's part. That game is going to be sold out and loud, as well.

46-20, Tech.

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: RaiderHunter on July 25, 2014, 02:43:16 pm
Texas Tech has two OL who are going to the NFL after this year, and their quarterback is top 10 in the nation. Their offense is why Texas Tech is going to win; Arkansas can't outscore the Red Raiders in Lubbock without a bevy of turnovers and a mysterious slew of offensive miscues on Davis Webb's part. That game is going to be sold out and loud, as well.

46-20, Tech.

Are you going to be the TeeTee equivalent of Rutgers Al?
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: RaiderHunter on July 25, 2014, 02:43:16 pm

46-20, Tech.

It's going to be a real challenge playing a team that has more than one potential NFL player on it's roster.

I don't think we've ever faced a team with more than one, maybe bama one year, not sure?

Our defense has been working hard in the off season to be more mysterious so I think the score will be closer than that.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

RaiderHunter

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on July 25, 2014, 02:55:00 pm
It's going to be a real challenge playing a team that has more than one potential NFL player on it's roster.

I don't think we've ever faced a team with more than one, maybe bama one year, not sure?

Our defense has been working hard in the off season to be more mysterious so I think the score will be closer than that.

The game is going to be borderline-unwatchable with all the fake Razorback injuries. The most interesting part will be seeing how Patrick Mahomes does after Webb puts up 5 TDs.

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: RaiderHunter on July 25, 2014, 03:03:52 pm
The game is going to be borderline-unwatchable with all the fake Razorback injuries. The most interesting part will be seeing how Patrick Mahomes does after Webb puts up 5 TDs.

Do the numbers 28 - 7 mean anything to you?

Wildhog

I watched a good bit of their spring game.  We SHOULD be able to wear them out on the lines and control the clock. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: RaiderHunter on July 25, 2014, 03:03:52 pm

Cute.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PygmalionEffect

We'll definitely get an opportunity to see if our secondary has improved it's pass defense.