How many possible wins next year

Started by JNunn, July 02, 2014, 02:29:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JNunn

8/30......    @ Auburn Tigers
9/6.......     Nicholls State Colonels
9/13......    @ Texas Tech Red Raiders
9/20......    Northern Illinois Huskies
9/27......    @ Texas A&M Aggies  (Dallas)
10/11....    Alabama Crimson Tide
10/18....    Georgia Bulldogs
10/25.....   UAB Blazers
11/1.....    @ Mississippi St. Bulldogs
11/15.....   LSU Tigers
11/22.....   Ole Miss Rebels
11/28.....   @ Missouri Tigers

I can see us being bowl elgible and winning at least 6-8 games

Al Boarland

fanofthehog

Why isn't the Nicholls State game listed?

Jamie Jones

Possible??? 14
Probable...6-9
My prediction...9
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

The Galloping Ghost

"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

ifghog

ricepig

The Galloping Ghost

Quote from: ricepig on July 02, 2014, 02:42:48 pm
Why not, he said his prediction.....

because I wanted to hear his logic.

I wasn't talking to you.
"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

ChitownHawg

Quote from: JNunn on July 02, 2014, 02:29:53 pm
10/25.....   UAB Blazers
11/15.....   LSU Tigers

6 - NSU, NIU, TT, UAB, MSU, and Ole Miss.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Hawk

7, with 8 possible. We turn a big corner this year.

MFG

4 or 5. Hoping for 5. Our depth on defense still isn't great and we can't afford very many injuries.

Its a possibility we start 2 sophomores and a true freshman on the DLine.
Our linebacker situation is still ugly.
Cornerbacks are improved.
Safety is right there with linebackers, especially if Coley is still struggling to put on weight.

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

JNunn

Quote from: The Galloping Ghost on July 02, 2014, 02:45:16 pm
because I wanted to hear his logic.

I wasn't talking to you.

W's:Nicholls St., TT, NIU,UAB, Mississippi St., A&M
Toss Ups: LSU, Ole Miss, Auburn, Missouri, Georgia
L's:Alabama

If you think about how we finished last season we closed the gap on margin of loss and played a little better. I just feel that some teams will overlook us and we are going to sneak up and win some of those games.

The Galloping Ghost

Quote from: JNunn on July 02, 2014, 03:08:21 pm

W's:Nicholls St., TT, NIU,UAB, Mississippi St., A&M
Toss Ups: LSU, Ole Miss, Auburn, Missouri, Georgia
L's:Alabama

If you think about how we finished last season we closed the gap on margin of loss and played a little better. I just feel that some teams will overlook us and we are going to sneak up and win some of those games.

Without EXTREME improvement I.E. improbable 3 of your "toss-ups" are potential double digit losses for us.

That eliminates them from the "toss-up" category.

JNunn

Quote from: The Galloping Ghost on July 02, 2014, 03:12:22 pm
Without EXTREME improvement I.E. improbable 3 of your "toss-ups" are potential double digit losses for us.

That eliminates them from the "toss-up" category.

How many games and which games do you see us winning.

BornaHog

Quote from: lowberh on July 02, 2014, 03:02:49 pm
The only answer is 14.

Wrong on this, 15 is the correct answer.
12 regular season games
1 SEC championship game
2 NC games

I hope they win them all!!!!   WPS    :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:   GHG
Born a HOG and will die a HOG, but that's not the only way to become a HOG

Quickdraw

Prediction is simply a guess. We win end of story!!!

Biggus Piggus

10/25.....   UAB Blazers
11/15.....   LSU Tigers

Most possible to me - Nickels, Texas Tech, Northern Illinois, Texas A&M, UAB, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Missouri. Two are gimmes. If we split the other six, it's a 5-7 season. Do better than that, time for a parade.

Highly unlikely - Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, LSU. Auburn and Georgia are the least fearsome. Georgia has extraordinary talent on offense, save for a pedestrian line. The Hogs are not equipped to totally dominate an average Oline, but the defensive ends are good enough to wreak havoc. Georgia's defense will start all experienced players. Jeremy Pruitt from Florida State took over as D-coordinator. They could be very good.

Auburn is different. They lost a lot of talent and definitely have not upgraded. The predictions I've seen expect Auburn to be good because Gus. They also mention the returning quarterback, who still won't be able to throw well. And everybody seems to believe the defense will improve just because they're in year two with Ellis Johnson. Not because they have upgraded talent, which they have not.

Arkansas's main problems with Auburn are 1) Gus's scheme is very good at ripping through opponents who are not great at defensive tackle, linebacker and safety, and 2) the Tigers have two massive defensive tackles.

Last year, the Hogs handed Auburn touchdowns on two short drives in the first half. The Tigers had three good drives in the second half, three punts. One of the three included an 88-yard touchdown pass / broken coverage on third and long.

Arkansas was close to making a real game of it.

First possession: Arkansas drove to the Auburn 14. A.J. Derby came in for Brandon Allen, who got dinged. Derby threw an interception.

Second possession: Derby fumbled, giving Auburn the football at the Arkansas 29. Took two runs by Tre Mason, touchdown Auburn.

Third possession: Allen was back. Led the Hogs to the Auburn 17. Third and 4, incomplete pass. Field goal instead of six.

Fourth possession: Arkansas drove to the Auburn 1. Third and goal, Williams into the pile. Fourth and goal, Williams into the pile. Nothing.

Did anyone feel dominated? I didn't feel dominated.

Fifth possession: Arkansas was down 21-3. Allen appeared to have clinched a second first down with a pass to Hunter Henry. Mitchell Loewen was called for interference. Gus must have asked the refs to watch out for something the Arkansas tight ends were doing. It's a very unusual call, and ...

Fourth quarter: It was 35-17, game slipping away, but the Hogs were driving. On fourth and 1, Allen found Herndon for 32 yards. But no. Hunter Henry was called for interference. Two tight end interference calls in one game. Good job working the refs, Gus.

I don't know. Seems like an unlikely bet that Auburn will be improved, and Arkansas surely will. And folks are always saying that Gus's offense relies on timing and gets better as the season goes on. Who knows. If this were a home game, I'd feel better.
[CENSORED]!

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Iwastherein1969

totally depends on QB play....all the other positions outside of WR are not bad....I will say last year that the type of defense Chris Ash wanted to play, the old read and react does NOT work in the SEC especially when you have inferior athletes....Ash leaving was the best thing to happen to the Razorbacks in the off-season...but to answer the question of the thread, 9 with great QB play, 6 with average QB play, 4 with the type of QB play we've seen the past two seasons
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Hogarusa

Quote from: BornaHog on July 02, 2014, 03:21:04 pm
   Wrong on this, 15 is the correct answer.
12 regular season games
1 SEC championship game
2 NC games

I hope they win them all!!!!   WPS    :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:   GHG

I forgot the playoffs.  You are correct.  It is possible the hogs will win 15 games
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

1highhog

With a lot of luck, 6 games, we are dealing with a schedule that some talking heads are saying is the most difficult in the Nation this coming Season.  But I'm saying 5, and that's progress, not saying I like it or the Coaches or players like it, but it's progress.  This Season is not the one I'm hanging my cap on, but I'm thinking the Hogs are going to go Bowling in year 3 and SEC title Contenders in year 4.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 02, 2014, 03:35:41 pm
10/25.....   UAB Blazers
11/15.....   LSU Tigers

Most possible to me - Nickels, Texas Tech, Northern Illinois, Texas A&M, UAB, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Missouri. Two are gimmes. If we split the other six, it's a 5-7 season. Do better than that, time for a parade.

Highly unlikely - Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, LSU. Auburn and Georgia are the least fearsome. Georgia has extraordinary talent on offense, save for a pedestrian line. The Hogs are not equipped to totally dominate an average Oline, but the defensive ends are good enough to wreak havoc. Georgia's defense will start all experienced players. Jeremy Pruitt from Florida State took over as D-coordinator. They could be very good.

Auburn is different. They lost a lot of talent and definitely have not upgraded. The predictions I've seen expect Auburn to be good because Gus. They also mention the returning quarterback, who still won't be able to throw well. And everybody seems to believe the defense will improve just because they're in year two with Ellis Johnson. Not because they have upgraded talent, which they have not.

Arkansas's main problems with Auburn are 1) Gus's scheme is very good at ripping through opponents who are not great at defensive tackle, linebacker and safety, and 2) the Tigers have two massive defensive tackles.

Last year, the Hogs handed Auburn touchdowns on two short drives in the first half. The Tigers had three good drives in the second half, three punts. One of the three included an 88-yard touchdown pass / broken coverage on third and long.

Arkansas was close to making a real game of it.

First possession: Arkansas drove to the Auburn 14. A.J. Derby came in for Brandon Allen, who got dinged. Derby threw an interception.

Second possession: Derby fumbled, giving Auburn the football at the Arkansas 29. Took two runs by Tre Mason, touchdown Auburn.

Third possession: Allen was back. Led the Hogs to the Auburn 17. Third and 4, incomplete pass. Field goal instead of six.

Fourth possession: Arkansas drove to the Auburn 1. Third and goal, Williams into the pile. Fourth and goal, Williams into the pile. Nothing.

Did anyone feel dominated? I didn't feel dominated.

Fifth possession: Arkansas was down 21-3. Allen appeared to have clinched a second first down with a pass to Hunter Henry. Mitchell Loewen was called for interference. Gus must have asked the refs to watch out for something the Arkansas tight ends were doing. It's a very unusual call, and ...

Fourth quarter: It was 35-17, game slipping away, but the Hogs were driving. On fourth and 1, Allen found Herndon for 32 yards. But no. Hunter Henry was called for interference. Two tight end interference calls in one game. Good job working the refs, Gus.

I don't know. Seems like an unlikely bet that Auburn will be improved, and Arkansas surely will. And folks are always saying that Gus's offense relies on timing and gets better as the season goes on. Who knows. If this were a home game, I'd feel better.

I just want to make sure we are on the same page here.  You think that UGA who has a new QB and DC that has lost his whole secondary is a tougher challenge than an Auburn who has a returning QB and has recruited just as well as UGA (see extraordinary talent)?  Not to mention the second year in their offensive/defensive system.

Wow...I mean, at least you went into detail I guess.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 02, 2014, 04:11:14 pm
I just want to make sure we are on the same page here.  You think that UGA who has a new QB and DC that has lost his whole secondary is a tougher challenge than an Auburn who has a returning QB and has recruited just as well as UGA (see extraordinary talent)?  Not to mention the second year in their offensive/defensive system.

Well they do have Gus.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

MJ2

Al Boarland

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 02, 2014, 04:15:21 pm
Well they do have Gus.  ;)

I didn't include that because some around here don't like to hear he's a good coach.

BorderPatrol

So, you don't think the timing of the schedule and Auburns tendacy of playing bad early comes in to play here?

bp

cosmodrum

July 02, 2014, 04:20:07 pm #28 Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 04:40:10 pm by cosmodrum
4-5 wins. We beat the cupcakes and win 1-2 of the last 4.

One more depending on the TTech QB situation.
Go away, batin'

1highhog

Of any team besides the 5 I have as wins, Auburn, LSU, and A/M are the 3 I have that could go either way, with LSU being the one I think we could pull the upset on.

Prestworthy

Quote from: JNunn on July 02, 2014, 02:29:53 pm
10/25.....   UAB Blazers
11/15.....   LSU Tigers

I would think 5-6.  Going bowling this season is the target.  Hope to surprise a few teams and win the ones they should win.  I see wins vs Nicholls/TTU/NIU/aTm/UAB.  One extra somewhere is is very possible.

kingofdequeen

i'm just gonna drink till i can't feel feelings anymore.  worked like a charm last two years.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 02, 2014, 04:23:15 pm
i'm just gonna drink till i can't feel feelings anymore.  worked like a charm last two years.

Have you talked to CBB about this drinking problem he is creating?  ;D

Al Boarland

Quote from: BorderPatrol on July 02, 2014, 04:19:30 pm
So, you don't think the timing of the schedule and Auburns tendacy of playing bad early comes in to play here?

bp

Sure it does.  Could a slow start hurt Auburn?  Maybe.  Enough to overcome at 24 pt spread?  Doubt it.  However, with a QB in his second year and an O-line with over a 100 starts between them I highly doubt it will be enough for us to pull an upset. 

We have a better chance against UGA, IMO.   

1highhog

Quote from: BorderPatrol on July 02, 2014, 04:19:30 pm

bp

Most times it would.  But Arkansas will be a game that Gus will have circled, much like Arkansas was Nuttster's Super Bowl while at Ole Miss, however, Arkansas will be "A" game that Gus has circled, not the only game, he will also have Alabama.

Lake City Hog

I really don't understand this whole "too tough a schedule" to expect any improvement in our record. We play the same teams every year--- OM, Miss St, LSU, Auburn, Alabama, TAM and 2 teams from the East side. We have been playing USCe every year and they just came off some pretty darned good seasons.

We play in the SEC so the schedule is hard, but it has been hard for the past 20 years! Yeah, there have been a few years when some teams were down a bit, but other teams were up. While Bama was down Tenner was playing at a pretty high level. Georgia has averaged 9.5 wins per year for almost 14 years. Florida has been salty for a dozen years.

We should never, ever let someone tell us to expect less because of the schedule. Look at Duke, not one person on this board would say that they have a more talented, athletic team than us. Yet they are playing at a pretty high level. Good solid coaching over a period of years has allowed them to build a system that works. Good solid coaching, utilizing the strengths of each player, scheming to cover the weaknesses and not beating themselves has led to some great strides for that program.

We should expect nothing less from our staff! And, yes we need to give them time to get it headed in the right direction. But, they need to show that they do indeed have things headed in the right direction.

Saying all that I expect us to win ALL of the games that we are supposed to win( 4 OOC games ), at worst split the true toss-up games( OM, Miss St, TAM and Missouri ) and pull off 1 upset ( Auburn, Bama or LSU ). That equals 7 wins with 8 a possibility.

root_hawg

Uncommon

2014 Arkansas Razorbacks Regular Season Outcomes
4-8 Floor
L at Auburn
W Nicholls State
W at Texas Tech
W Northern Illinois
L vs. Texas A&M
L Alabama
L vs. Georgia
W UAB
L at Mississippi State
L LSU
L Ole Miss
L at Missouri

6-6 Median
L at Auburn
W Nicholls State
W at Texas Tech
W Northern Illinois
W vs. Texas A&M
L Alabama
L vs. Georgia
W UAB
L at Mississippi State
L LSU
L Ole Miss
W at Missouri

8-4 Ceiling
L at Auburn
W Nicholls State
W at Texas Tech
W Northern Illinois
W vs. Texas A&M
L Alabama
L vs. Georgia
W UAB
W at Mississippi State
W LSU
L Ole Miss
W at Missouri

4 Likely Wins:

Nicholls State - FCS team at home. That is all.

at Texas Tech - Think our offensive line will outmatch their defensive line and they will not have enough balance on offense.

Northern Illinois - Lost their star player (Jordan Lynch) and should have inferior talent and coaching.  Also at home.

UAB - It's UAB.

4 Grey Area Games:

vs. Texas A&M - Will be breaking in a new QB in Kenny Hill or Kyle Allen.  Should have lots of talent at RB, WR, and OL.  Defense should be improved however they lost some players on that side of the ball due to dismissals.

at Mississippi State - Will have Dak Prescott returning at QB and Mullen has done a nice job of getting some good OL and DL.

LSU - New QB in either Anthony Jennings or Brandon Harris.  Lost a lot of players but also have talent backing it up.  How the inexperience players handle it will be the question.  Should have a good OL.

at Missouri - Maty Mauk returns but they've lost a lot of WRs, OL, DL, and DB.

4 Likely losses:

at Auburn - Nick Marshall returns, Gus has recruited well, and defense should be better than last season.

Alabama - See the last two games we've played against them.

vs. Georgia - Return a QB with some experience have a great corps of RBs and should be more physical on defense as they hired former Florida State DC Jeremy Pruitt.

Ole Miss - This is a surprise to some but I think they'll be pretty good.  They have Bo Wallace coming back, the players from their Super Class have had another year to develop, and Hugh Freeze has added depth to all the positions.

MrThunderhog

What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

robs4516

Quote from: Uncommon on July 02, 2014, 05:02:18 pm

LSU - New QB in either Anthony Jennings or Brandon Harris.  Lost a lot of players but also have talent backing it up.  How the inexperience players handle it will be the question.  Should have a good OL.

Another thing in our favor against LSU; this is the first year we'll be playing them the week after they play Bama. It's going to be interesting to see if that has an effect.
First of all, I didn't start it...
Second of all, they were all still alive when I walked out

Big Poppa Z

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 02, 2014, 04:27:51 pm...Could a slow start hurt Auburn?  Maybe.  Enough to overcome at 24 pt spread?...

I don't believe we will win but not beating the spread would be embarrassing.

chitwnhog

I'll go 10-12..it has become a hogville tradition.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Zeke__in__KC on July 03, 2014, 03:21:00 pm
I don't believe we will win but not beating the spread would be embarrassing.

I agree, but any loss is embarrassing because of the hard on CBB has for Gus.  I don't know if Gus is the kind of guy to run up the score, but Auburn has the talent to do it.

lefty08

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 03, 2014, 04:13:40 pm
I agree, but any loss is embarrassing because of the hard on CBB has for Gus.  I don't know if Gus is the kind of guy to run up the score, but Auburn has the talent to do it.
talent maybe, defense?  No
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

ricepig

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 03, 2014, 04:13:40 pm

Is it worse than the one you have for Gus?

Al Boarland

Quote from: ricepig on July 03, 2014, 04:17:56 pm
Is it worse than the one you have for Gus?

Different kind of hard on, but yes.

Al Boarland

Quote from: lefty08 on July 03, 2014, 04:16:37 pm
talent maybe, defense?  No

True, but I don't think our offense is explosive enough for a track meet.  Could be wrong.

Biggus Piggus

Tried to reply to this, and an ad on the page crashed my video driver. When the driver restarted, this page was blank. So I'll just outline it...

Georgia has great tailbacks. Auburn has question marks. Georgia's QB is a senior who actually started at the end of last season, not a new QB at all. Auburn has Marshall, who if he can learn to pass can be awesome -- but that is a big if. Georgia has four veteran WRs who are proven playmakers. Auburn has one good one and is likely to start a guy fresh out of juco. Jeremy Pruitt > Ellis Johnson. Georgia has better talent on defense than Auburn has.

So yeah.
[CENSORED]!

Boardon Hamsay

I am hoping for 6-6 but when I look at the scheddy objectively, I find quite a few toss ups and/or lean games at the moment because we didn't really get a lot to go on in the spring. We should be improved but I just don't know that the improvements will translate into 3 more wins.

8/30......    @ Auburn Tigers (L)- First game on the road and in conference is really hard to pick as a W but it's their first game too.

9/6.......     Nicholls State Colonels (W)- More talent gets the W here.

9/13......    @ Texas Tech Red Raiders (Toss Up) Their run defense is suspect but I'd really like to see what our pass D looks like in the first two games. History is on our side but we need to sustain drives and get some big stops on D to keep their offense in check.

9/20......    Northern Illinois Huskies (W)- No Jordan Lynch should equate to a W here.

9/27......    @ Texas A&M Aggies  (Dallas) (Leaning W) No JM and game is back in Dallas. This may turn into more of a trench game than anticipated but I like our chances of getting a W in Jerry World.

10/11....    Alabama Crimson Tide (L)- At this point, scoring against Bama will be a W in and of itself. We do get two weeks to prepare for them at least.

10/18....    Georgia Bulldogs (L)- If we didn't play Bama the week prior, I'd have this as a toss up or leaning W. I think this will be a close game and a "battle of conditioning".

10/25.....   UAB Blazers (W)- More talent gets the W here.

11/1.....    @ Mississippi St. Bulldogs (L)- I think a lot of folks are overlooking State this year. They should be better than most give them credit for. I think we keep it close but don't know if we're ready to win on the road in the SEC yet.

11/15.....   LSU Tigers (Lean W)- They play Bama the week prior and we have two weeks to prepare.  If we improve throughout the year, I do like our chances to get the W here in a close, physical game.

11/22.....   Ole Miss Rebels (Toss Up)- I admittedly don't know what to expect out of Ole Miss this year. They lost a lot on their O-line. Coming out of the LSU game, it seems like this game might be another "battle of conditioning" and it's at least a home game.

11/28.....   @ Missouri Tigers (Toss Up)- I know Mizzou lost a lot on offense and defense but it's an SEC road game. New "rival" game and possible bowl eligibility on the line makes this game a matter of mental toughness and pride.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

memphishog

i hate to say it but 5 or less. this team will not go bowling.