Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Don't Let the USA Loss Keep You From...

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, July 02, 2014, 02:13:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

watching the rest of the World Cup.

We've got the strongest teams still remaining, plus a great cinderella story to watch in Costa Rica.

Also, Brazil plays Colombia next - Colombia is playing the best soccer of the tournament so far, is probably the team to beat and has a young rising superstar named James Rodriguez.  They are playing in memory of Andres Escobar, the young upstanding gentleman who was shot and killed 2 weeks after scoring the own goal in '94 at the World Cup USA.

There are still a lot of interesting stories and some great soccer to be played.

:razorback:
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Wild Bill Hog

HiggiePiggy

I'm curious. What are the ratings in America for soccer now that USA is out of it?
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 04, 2014, 09:35:27 pm
I'm curious. What are the ratings in America for soccer now that USA is out of it?

Do you mean how many bandwagon fans are there?

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 04, 2014, 09:35:27 pm

Go look them up
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

HiggiePiggy

Wild Bill Hog

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on July 04, 2014, 11:24:27 pm
Is it significant in the broad scheme of things?

It is a simple question and you guys are getting defensive about it.   I am just wondering how far it has come in the USA.  Ratings when the USA has been eliminated would tell how popular it has come here. 

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 05, 2014, 07:54:27 am
It is a simple question and you guys are getting defensive about it.   I am just wondering how far it has come in the USA.  Ratings when the USA has been eliminated would tell how popular it has come here. 

I wouldn't think 'defensive' is the right word. Why not simply Google and read a few articles, and then see if there's a clear answer to your question?

Let's go ticos! Pura vida!!
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Dr. Starcs

Higgie, don't worry. I posted the same question in another thread and didnt get a response.

The soccer diehards in this country want to tell everyone how popular soccer is becoming in America. And how the ratings for the u.s game outdid the World Series and nba finals. They were quick to throw that stat at the rest of us, why not give us this one....my guess is because these quarterfinal ratings are not going to be close to what they want it to be.

I can't remember which soccer poster it was earlier last week, but he was telling the others that condescending attitudes is not the way to bring in new fans. Guess the others didnt get the memo.

HawgAdvocate

Good ol'Hogville. Every thread will have at least one person who needlessly pees in every bowl of Cheerios. Ticos ticos ticos!!!
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 05, 2014, 09:52:05 am
Higgie, don't worry. I posted the same question in another thread and didnt get a response.

The soccer diehards in this country want to tell everyone how popular soccer is becoming in America. And how the ratings for the u.s game outdid the World Series and nba finals. They were quick to throw that stat at the rest of us, why not give us this one....my guess is because these quarterfinal ratings are not going to be close to what they want it to be.

I can't remember which soccer poster it was earlier last week, but he was telling the others that condescending attitudes is not the way to bring in new fans. Guess the others didnt get the memo.

Most true fans aren't condescending or try to force or even bring in new fans.  We don't need.  It's happening on it's own.

Honestly, I don't really think fans who haven't played it at a high level(They "Y" orange wedge fans or played co-ed) usually last very long because they don't know the real game.

You're welcome, but we don't really need you.

Dr. Starcs

^^^^

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you aforementioned "condescending poster".

And you totally glossed over that whole tv ratings point. And although you may not claim to need me, I 'd be willing to bet that when they're released for this country, soccer will take any viewer they can get.

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 05, 2014, 02:03:17 pm
^^^^

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you aforementioned "condescending poster".

And you totally glossed over that whole tv ratings point. And although you may not claim to need me, I 'd be willing to bet that when they're released for this country, soccer will take any viewer they can get.

No, we don't, haven't needed the fair-weathered fan since the 90's.  MLS and USMNT has changed to grass roots level.  They are young kids that watch soccer year-round on NBC and cable.

Don't need you.  No, offense.

Besides, if you will read carefully, most fair-weathered fans finish their comments when the U.S. is eliminated with "this stuff is boring anyway" lol - that's condescending.  I could take you or leave you, to be honest.  We have enough of a grass roots following, many who know even more than guys like I do. 

Dr. Starcs

Funny you typed "no offense" in your post.

That's exactly why soccer will never be as popular as you all think it will.

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 05, 2014, 02:50:09 pm
Funny you typed "no offense" in your post.

That's exactly why soccer will never be as popular as you all think it will.

We don't need over-hyped offense.  Fitness, team play and beautiful play is what makes is beautiful.  It already is beautiful, sorry to bust your bubble.  It already is.  It's The Beautiful Game.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Notshavin on July 05, 2014, 02:51:26 pm
We don't need over-hyped offense.  Fitness, team play and beautiful play is what makes is beautiful.  It already is beautiful, sorry to bust your bubble.  It already is.  It's The Beautiful Game.

So are you saying that it's beautiful?  And again what are the ratings after USA was eliminated for America?   

HiggiePiggy

I have been researching it.  All it has is ratings for the 2 games they were in.  I haven't found ratings for after they were eliminated.

Dr. Starcs

Classic response by someone that doesn't want to face the facts

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 05, 2014, 05:16:30 pm
So are you saying that it's beautiful?  And again what are the ratings after USA was eliminated for America?   

Ratings in America, irrelevant.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Notshavin on July 05, 2014, 06:31:07 pm
Ratings in America, irrelevant.

Why is that? Do you want to know if people are watching it a lot even though America is eliminated? I would say it is relevant to see how the growth of the sport is going in America.  If there is still a lot of Americans watching even though we are not in it anymore then it is growing very well in America.

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 05, 2014, 07:38:11 pm
Why is that? Do you want to know if people are watching it a lot even though America is eliminated? I would say it is relevant to see how the growth of the sport is going in America.  If there is still a lot of Americans watching even though we are not in it anymore then it is growing very well in America.

Irrelevant to the overall growth of the sport compared to what a tournament like that used to be.  The America's Cup in 2 years, MLS Cup, EuroCup, FA Cup...again, steady growth yearly, World Cup qualifying, much more important we have already seen that.

Again, it would be like measuring the growth of the NFL based on Superbowl parties.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Notshavin on July 05, 2014, 09:06:19 pm
Again, it would be like measuring the growth of the NFL based on Superbowl parties.

No I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be. Now if America was playing in a world football game then maybe, but football isn't played around the world.

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 05, 2014, 09:14:46 pm
No I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be. Now if America was playing in a world football game then maybe, but football isn't played around the world.

Um, actually yes it is.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Notshavin on July 05, 2014, 09:15:56 pm
Um, actually yes it is.

It would be better to compare it to American basketball in the Olympics and what happens to the ratings when America isn't playing in it anymore?  It's rare because America dominates basketball around the world it doesn't in soccer.