Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What happens after the US is out of the World Cup?

Started by pigture perfect, July 01, 2014, 04:19:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

How much soccer will you pay attention to?

I have become a soccer fan and will watch it whenever I get the chance.
I've always been a Soccer/futbol fan.
I only watch if the U.S. team is involved.
I only watch during World Cup years.
Futbol is the Debil
I could care less about the game itself. I'll just check the score
other

TX HOG

Without a salary cap could some mls teams attract the messi's, neymar's, Ronaldo's of the world and compete with the big eurrpoean leagues? This may have been discussed and I may have missed it.

JayBell

Quote from: TX HOG on July 17, 2014, 09:15:35 amWithout a salary cap could some mls teams attract the messi's, neymar's, Ronaldo's of the world and compete with the big eurrpoean leagues? This may have been discussed and I may have missed it.

No.  There's still a stigma attached to playing in MLS and it's just going to take time to get rid of it.  Plus, most of the best players want to play in the UEFA Champions League.  So Barcelona or Real Madrid paying someone $10 million a year would still outweigh a $15-20 million offer from MLS.

That's the knock on MLS right now that they can't get top players in their prime.  Well, it's not for lack of trying.  The league is starting to attract more and more top players in their prime from top South America clubs, but they're not going to lure anyone away from Bayern Munich or Chelsea right now.  That's why MLS jumps at the chance to sign 30 year olds who were recent superstars, but know they won't be in contention for the World Cup next time around.

Ronaldinho absolutely should have signed with MLS when he was 30.  LA had a big time offer lined up for him.  But the Brazil coach made it known that he'd have no chance at playing for Brazil if he was playing in MLS.  So instead he went to Brazil and has issues there.

TX HOG

Unfortunately that makes sense. Mls is too far away in miles to even fathom the idea of being an eventual expansion team. Mls is just going to have to tye to build it on their own.

JayBell

Quote from: TX HOG on July 17, 2014, 09:42:18 amUnfortunately that makes sense. Mls is too far away in miles to even fathom the idea of being an eventual expansion team. Mls is just going to have to tye to build it on their own.

Exactly, as much as I hate the Mexican league, the growth of MLS is tied to Liga MX, which is a quality league itself.  We need both leagues to be full of talented players that can square off in the CONCACAF Champions League so that superstars would not feel like they're leaving opportunities behind by coming to North America.