Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Go USA!

Started by Nashville Fan, July 01, 2014, 01:16:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

July 02, 2014, 02:02:19 am #50 Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 03:48:20 am by Notshavin
Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 02, 2014, 12:14:20 am
How can you make an analogy to something that is non existent?  Lady backs soccer is the perfect analogy. The soccer diehards shouldn't discriminate.

I love baseball. I live the little league world series. I love watching the local high school, or summer legion. I love watching the hog baseball team. I love watching the CWS even if the Hogs get bounced. I love braves baseball from spring training through playoff elimination. Then I love watching THE WS. Then I live the world baseball classic probably more than you guys love the world cup.

MY point is, I love the sport of baseball. I watch it at any level no matter if it's my team or not. If you are truly a soccer enthusiast, and a fan of all things razorbsck... people would turn out.

The sport isn't as popular as the comradery it brings to the nation.

Women's college soccer is not the same game as Men's Professional soccer anymore than Women's College Softball is the same as MLB.

Your analogy makes 0 sense.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Btw, with 18,608 spectators on average per match, MLS has the third-highest per-game attendance of any US league, ahead of the NBA and NHL hockey.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Dr. Starcs

And what about tv ratings?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Notshavin on July 02, 2014, 03:48:49 am
Btw, with 18,608 spectators on average per match, MLS has the third-highest per-game attendance of any US league, ahead of the NBA and NHL hockey.

I'd say the size of the stadiums vs. the arenas has something to do with that.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 01, 2014, 04:05:26 pm
I heard some typical ex-jocks on ESPN Radio telling us how soccer was no more popular now than it was in the past.

Sign of the future:

Yep Chicago was following the Cup big time. I hope it does finally catch on in the US. Live around Europeans and their love for the game will inspire you. Heck Asians love the game and few Asian countries do well in the Cup. But they love futbol.

I enjoyed this game, but Belgium was heads and shoulders better than us. Howard kept us in the game with a phenomenal effort. You can see why he plays in the Premier League.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 01, 2014, 10:45:13 pm
Soccer. A sport where everyone can feel great about going 1-2-1.

A sport where even losers are winners!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 02, 2014, 06:26:58 am
A sport where even losers are winners!

I think when FIFA decides it wants a piece of the lucrative sports market in the US some of their rules will be changed. Money talks and this Cup gave FIFA a glimpse of what could be.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Notshavin on July 01, 2014, 09:32:11 pm
those who appreciate real soccer played at a high level as a major sport have a better understanding of sports in general.  And if you've ever been to a match in another country, you understand the fan aspect of it.  It's quite an experience, much like college football.
\

Are you serious? You think being a part of a rabid fan base gives one a special understanding of ALL sports in general? I would like to know how you came to that conclusion.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 02, 2014, 06:39:11 am
\

Are you serious? You think being a part of a rabid fan base gives one a special understanding of ALL sports in general? I would like to know how you came to that conclusion.

We's just smarter than American football fans!  ;)

Ex-Trumpet

Now that USA is knocked out, how many of the soccer "fans" around the country will follow the World Cup?  I'm guessing not many.  If any of y'all here that are endlessly defending the sport will follow, then you have my respect!  Otherwise, you're no better than the anti-soccites.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

hogsanity

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on July 02, 2014, 10:51:30 am
Now that USA is knocked out, how many of the soccer "fans" around the country will follow the World Cup?  I'm guessing not many.  If any of y'all here that are endlessly defending the sport will follow, then you have my respect!  Otherwise, you're no better than the anti-soccites.

I will probably watch at least some of the remaining matches. As I said before, I like watching all sports at their highest levels, well not tennis.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

AuburnHog

A tweet from Jonathan Williams who has been following the WC.  He loves Dempsey.

"We got too many good athletes in America not to be winning stuff like this hands down. My kids playin soccer"

hogsanity

Quote from: AuburnHog on July 02, 2014, 11:46:01 am
A tweet from Jonathan Williams who has been following the WC.  He loves Dempsey.

"We got too many good athletes in America not to be winning stuff like this hands down. My kids playin soccer"

The issue with youth soccer, at least in my area, is they have 2 seasons, spring and fall, so it overlaps with baseball and football. Kids are being pushed more and more into only playing one sport earlier and earlier in life.

The other thing is it is evolving into what is absolutely killing youth baseball leagues, travel ball.  You can't just sign up and play in a decent league anymore, the good talent gets sucked out to travel teams, and pretty soon the leagues are terrible because there is little talent left.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Biggus Piggus

I have loved the World Cup since it was in the US - that opened my eyes. Premier League football also is great. Do I understand offside yet, no.
[CENSORED]!

AuburnHog

Quote from: hogsanity on July 02, 2014, 11:52:10 am
The issue with youth soccer, at least in my area, is they have 2 seasons, spring and fall, so it overlaps with baseball and football. Kids are being pushed more and more into only playing one sport earlier and earlier in life.

The other thing is it is evolving into what is absolutely killing youth baseball leagues, travel ball.  You can't just sign up and play in a decent league anymore, the good talent gets sucked out to travel teams, and pretty soon the leagues are terrible because there is little talent left.

Absolutley. Also, if boys do choose to play soccer (even travel soccer), they usually give it up for football around 12 years old.  And kids that choose to just do rec soccer until they"re 12 are then too far behind to make a travel squad.  Its tough.  There just aren't enough adults with soccer knowledge in the US to coach these kids.  Most US adults can coach their kids baseball and football teams with a decent amount of knowledge because they played it. 

FelixJonesorDMAC?

I definitely will be following it.  I love to watch some Premier League and La Liga football.  Not so much italian soccer.

I'm hoping for either a Brazil vs Argentina or Germany vs Netherlands matchup.

ChitownHawg

Well when the Hogs lose in a tournament I usually stop watching. Doesn't mean I don't love the college game.

Torqued pork

The thrill of victory. The agony of defeat. The human drama of athletic competition. Get the beer cold and order the pizza.

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 02, 2014, 05:10:28 am
I'd say the size of the stadiums vs. the arenas has something to do with that.

How?  We are talking actual numbers.

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 02, 2014, 06:39:11 am
\

Yes, soccer is a major sport that taking the time to understand or even play as a youngster will help you understand(footwork, fitness, etc.) sports in general.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hogsanity on July 02, 2014, 11:52:10 am

And this is the primary reason USA has lagged behind in a sport like soccer.  To some that's a bad thing, to others it's good.

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 02, 2014, 12:03:05 pm
I have loved the World Cup since it was in the US - that opened my eyes. Premier League football also is great. Do I understand offside yet, no.

LOL!  Join the huge club.  It's pretty easy concept, really, but never really sufficiently explained by commentators during a game.  About the only Americans who get it are the ones who've played the game.

I have not clue what icing is in hockey.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 02, 2014, 12:34:06 pm
Well when the Hogs lose in a tournament I usually stop watching. Doesn't mean I don't love the college game.

You don't watch college football other than Hogs games?!?!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on July 02, 2014, 03:35:27 pm
You don't watch college football other than Hogs games?!?!

Every once in a while if it is a special game, but most of the time I don't have the time. Most of the time I check ESPN for scores and highlights. Same with futbol.

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on July 02, 2014, 01:14:04 pm
And this is the primary reason USA has lagged behind in a sport like soccer.  To some that's a bad thing, to others it's good.

LOL!  Join the huge club.  It's pretty easy concept, really, but never really sufficiently explained by commentators during a game.  About the only Americans who get it are the ones who've played the game.

I have not clue what icing is in hockey.

I think what people struggle with the most in understanding offside, is the concept of "when the ball is played".  That's really the key to understanding it.
If the offensive player is even with the defense when the ball is played to him, if he beats them and runs ahead of them, he's not offside(see Van Persie's "flying Dutchman goal").

It gets complicated when you start thinking about when "offside" CANNOT be applied: If a defender plays it back, on a throw in or corner kick, if the offensive player is behind the midfield line when the ball is played and if the "offside" player is not involved in the play.

It's a tough call to make because the linesman has to see where/when the ball is played and where the offensive player is in line with the defense simultaneously, when that ball is played.

sportster365

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 02, 2014, 06:33:53 am
I think when FIFA decides it wants a piece of the lucrative sports market in the US some of their rules will be changed. Money talks and this Cup gave FIFA a glimpse of what could be.

I seriously doubt it. Still lacks in entertainment value and style points. Americans like the wow factor along with plenty of speed and power. Sure there's some pretty fast guys out there but you can only run so fast while kicking a ball. Ball control is another thing, if its athletes could get fancier footwork and ball control along with better passing... it could help the game tremendously.

Most of the enthusiasm surrounding this game is built upon patriotism and ethnicity. Aside from that, it's just a bunch of average looking guys running up and down the field for 90 minutes not accomplishing much.

redeye

Quote from: Notshavin on July 02, 2014, 03:48:49 am

Just read a Miami Herald article that said the US had more fans at the World Cup then any nation, except for Brazil.  Said there was tens of thousands there.

In fairness, though, who wouldn't want to spend a couple of weeks partying on Brazilian beaches with crazy soccer hooligans?  I know I would have loved it.

Quote from: Notshavin on July 02, 2014, 12:49:02 pm
Yes, soccer is a major sport that taking the time to understand or even play as a youngster will help you understand(footwork, fitness, etc.) sports in general.

I'd also argue that it teaches you to work with others as a team better then any other sport.

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 02, 2014, 04:17:30 pm
Every once in a while if it is a special game, but most of the time I don't have the time. Most of the time I check ESPN for scores and highlights. Same with futbol.

Same here.  I'll often leave the TV on in the background for other SEC games, but it has to be a really big one for me to have enough interest to sit down and watch it though.  I usually don't even watch the Iron Bowl.

I do always watch World Cup games after the US is knocked out, but admit that it's not the same.  I'm a team fan, rather then a sport fan, and I never hedge my bets, so it's hard for me to get interested in any sport when my team isn't playing.

redeye

Quote from: Don Hogleone on July 02, 2014, 04:37:48 pm
I seriously doubt it. Still lacks in entertainment value and style points. Americans like the wow factor along with plenty of speed and power. Sure there's some pretty fast guys out there but you can only run so fast while kicking a ball. Ball control is another thing, if its athletes could get fancier footwork and ball control along with better passing... it could help the game tremendously.

Most of the enthusiasm surrounding this game is built upon patriotism and ethnicity. Aside from that, it's just a bunch of average looking guys running up and down the field for 90 minutes not accomplishing much.

I think his point was that if FIFA decides it wants the US market, then it will change it's rules to accommodate commercials or maybe make the game more appealing to US fans.  I don't know if the US market is important to FIFA, but if it is, then I wouldn't be surprised if he's right.

On the rest, I'll go ahead and guess that you never played much soccer, because you seem to be forgetting that they're doing it all with their feet.  If you haven't already, watch some of the better teams to see what's possible.  In our game against Germany, they basically passed the ball around until we were worn out chasing it, and probably could have scored more points on us, if they'd wanted.

Adam Stokes

Interesting article.  The average number of people watching the US play in World Cup games was greater than the average number of people during the NBA finals.

But yeah, no one in the US really cares about soccer...

http://www.espnfc.us/united-states/story/1929447/us-soccer-tv-ratings-top-nba-finals-average

ChitownHawg

Quote from: redeye on July 02, 2014, 04:50:08 pm
Just read a Miami Herald article that said the US had more fans at the World Cup then any nation, except for Brazil.  Said there was tens of thousands there.

In fairness, though, who wouldn't want to spend a couple of weeks partying on Brazilian beaches with crazy soccer hooligans?  I know I would have loved it.

I'd also argue that it teaches you to work with others as a team better then any other sport.

Same here.  I'll often leave the TV on in the background for other SEC games, but it has to be a really big one for me to have enough interest to sit down and watch it though.  I usually don't even watch the Iron Bowl.

I do always watch World Cup games after the US is knocked out, but admit that it's not the same.  I'm a team fan, rather then a sport fan, and I never hedge my bets, so it's hard for me to get interested in any sport when my team isn't playing.

I probably will follow Brazil as I would love for the home team to win. They need to improve their play though.

Quote from: Don Hogleone on July 02, 2014, 04:37:48 pm
Aside from that, it's just a bunch of average looking guys running up and down the field for 90 minutes not accomplishing much.

You could easily say that about football.  It's a bunch of fat guys with helmets wrestling each other, not accomplishing much - if you don't understand it.  Those of us that are football fans know that is false and it would be ignorant to think that way.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 01, 2014, 09:25:20 pm
Have you not watched ESPN or Good Morning America since the WC started?  ;D

The World Cup is just like the Olympics.  It's the most important thing happening on the planet while it is going on.

OF COURSE it should be all over the TV.

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 02, 2014, 05:37:20 pm
Of course FIFA wants the US market aka dollars. There are untapped billions in revenue.

A couple of stories today included quotes from FIFA officials who were very impressed with the number of Americans in Brazil (something like 120,000 tickets were sold in the USA). One even said he thought the US should be the front runner to host in 2026.

But adding commercial breaks during play will not happen. Neither will changing the rules to make it more appealing to non-fans.

That stinks that the venues are decided that far off.  I was hoping we would be able to host sooner than that. 

I hope the commercial breaks never happen.  This "water break" thing they abruptly threw in has me concerned.  There are other ways to sneak a water break when needed - that's how it's always been done.

They have made some good changes over the years.  For example, defenders used to be able to kick it back to the keepers and the keepers pick the ball up - that is no longer allowed unless it's headed or chested back to the keeper.  Van Persie scored against Spain because of this rule.  It had the same effect the shot clock did on basketball, eliminating the "four corners".

ricepig

Quote from: Notshavin on July 02, 2014, 05:52:54 pm
That stinks that the venues are decided that far off.  I was hoping we would be able to host sooner than that. 

I hope the commercial breaks never happen.  This "water break" thing they abruptly threw in has me concerned.  There are other ways to sneak a water break when needed - that's how it's always been done.

They have made some good changes over the years.  For example, defenders used to be able to kick it back to the keepers and the keepers pick the ball up - that is no longer allowed unless it's headed or chested back to the keeper.  Van Persie scored against Spain because of this rule.  It had the same effect the shot clock did on basketball, eliminating the "four corners".

Well, who knows what happens with Qatar in 2022, maybe we can bribe our way in....

Quote from: ricepig on July 02, 2014, 05:55:31 pm
Well, who knows what happens with Qatar in 2022, maybe we can bribe our way in....

That's just insane.  They cannot play a World Cup in that heat.  I hope they do reconsider, and that we get it that year.  I don't think it will happen though.

redeye

Of course FIFA wants the US market aka dollars. There are untapped billions in revenue.

A couple of stories today included quotes from FIFA officials who were very impressed with the number of Americans in Brazil (something like 120,000 tickets were sold in the USA). One even said he thought the US should be the front runner to host in 2026.

But adding commercial breaks during play will not happen. Neither will changing the rules to make it more appealing to non-fans.

I honestly hope you're right, and I think you could be, but just saying that it wouldn't surprise me.  I'm sure FIFA wants all the viewers they can get, but would they change rules for more US viewers?  Do they want US markets THAT much?  Probably not, but in an age where money is more important then the sport bringing it in, I'm just saying that it wouldn't surprise me.

If FIFA wanted the US THAT much, they probably would have awarded us 2018 or 2022, but they didn't.  Hopefully we'll get 2026 and the rules will stay the same.  I hope soccer becomes more popular in the US so the sport will further develop here, but I don't care if it ever rivals football, basketball or baseball.  That debate comes up every 4 years during the World Cup and it's just tiring to me.

redeye

Quote from: Notshavin on July 02, 2014, 05:52:54 pm

I was reading that temperatures in Brazil have been in the eighties.  Is that right?  Never been to Brazil, but is that really too hot?

Also read that they're expected to be over 105 in Qatar, but that they'll lower it by 20 degrees inside the stadiums somehow.  That's going to be a very interesting WC.

Didn't realize that the GK can no longer pickup the ball.  What was the reason for changing that?  I was wondering why they didn't pick the ball up very much.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Notshavin on July 02, 2014, 12:49:02 pm
How?  We are talking actual numbers.
You cited average attendance. It is easier to average more fans when you play in larger venues. MLS plays in venues that are larger than NBA and hockey. It's like saying Arkansas basketball averages more fans than Arkansas baseball.

ChitownHawg

Hey I might not have played the game, but I saw a soccer ball at WalMarts. So don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about.  ;D

ricepig

Quote from: redeye on July 02, 2014, 06:07:39 pm
I was reading that temperatures in Brazil have been in the eighties.  Is that right?  Never been to Brazil, but is that really too hot?

Also read that they're expected to be over 105 in Qatar, but that they'll lower it by 20 degrees inside the stadiums somehow.  That's going to be a very interesting WC.

Didn't realize that the GK can no longer pickup the ball.  What was the reason for changing that?  I was wondering why they didn't pick the ball up very much.

Qatar will be dry heat, lol.

Quote from: redeye on July 02, 2014, 06:07:39 pm

He can't pick it up if it's deliberately passed back to him by his own defender(unless headed or chested back to him).  Teams with a lead used to just pass it back to the keeper from a defender, then back and forth to use up time.  Now you'll notice when this happens the keeper has to kick it.

ChitownHawg

Just heard on the news the WC tv rating was higher than the NBA Finals.

Dr. Starcs

Problem is soccer only will get that ratings once every 4 years. What would the cumulative 4 year total for the nba finals be comparatively?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 02, 2014, 06:31:07 pm
Problem is soccer only will get that ratings once every 4 years. What would the cumulative 4 year total for the nba finals be comparatively?

What you really need to look at are the NBA Finals ratings versus WC ratings to see if this happens a lot. Or if it may be an indicator of futbol on the rise.

But it is still cool to see that high of a rating.

redeye

Quote from: Notshavin on July 02, 2014, 06:22:06 pm
He can't pick it up if it's deliberately passed back to him by his own defender(unless headed or chested back to him).  Teams with a lead used to just pass it back to the keeper from a defender, then back and forth to use up time.  Now you'll notice when this happens the keeper has to kick it.

Ah, that makes sense.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Notshavin on July 02, 2014, 06:22:06 pm

This may have already been covered, but how do they determine the extra time?
Is there someone actually timing to stoppages? Why don't they just stop the clock during the game?

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 02, 2014, 06:53:55 pm
This may have already been covered, but how do they determine the extra time?
Is there someone actually timing to stoppages? Why don't they just stop the clock during the game?

I believe the ref does it.  He stops his watch whenever there is a long delay(injury, foul, free kick, etc.).  It's definitely very subjective and the game does not end until the ref blows his whistle.  It's kind of an unwritten rule that he will not blow it, even if time is up, while one of the teams is attacking - he will wait until the ball is cleared or is in a more "nuetral" place.

July 02, 2014, 07:01:41 pm #95 Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 07:16:23 pm by Notshavin
It used to be worse, they used to not announce the amount of stoppage time that there would be, so you can imagine the frustration when it could be anywhere between 1 and 5 minutes, and no one knew except the ref.  Definitely very shady...

I saw a game once where the ref had to be helicoptered off the field because of fear he wouldn't make it out of the stadium, lol.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Notshavin on July 02, 2014, 06:59:16 pm
I believe the ref does it.  He stops his watch whenever there is a long delay(injury, foul, free kick, etc.).  It's definitely very subjective and the game does not end until the ref blows his whistle.  It's kind of an unwritten rule that he will not blow it, even if time is up, while one of the teams is attacking - he will wait until the ball is cleared or is in a more "nuetral" place.

I see. Wonder if they "round up" to the next minute or "round down"?

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on July 02, 2014, 07:03:29 pm
I see. Wonder if they "round up" to the next minute or "round down"?

It's whatever the ref decides to do, and it will never end during an attempt to score.  It really is too much power in the hands of one ref, but like I said it used to be worse.

redeye

Quote from: Notshavin on July 02, 2014, 06:59:16 pm

I was wondering about that.  Specifically, that means time may have expired before Portugal scored on us?

When I played, I don't think we had extra time.