Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chuck Barrett stepping down

Started by Paul Westerhawg, June 30, 2014, 02:31:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Westerhawg

Per Bo. He says nothing official has been announced, but it will be shortly. Says it's Chick's decision. As someone who goes back to his beginning, I'm really going to miss him. He did an exceptional job.

kingofdequeen

I think he's awesome in baseball, but a lot of that is due to his being opposite Sunshine.

Blake Eddins for all things broadcast.  golf.  swimming.  quizbowl.  everything.

Paul Westerhawg

And I should clarify: Chuck is stepping down for baseball only. I know most might gather that, but wanted to be specific.

ricepig

Quote from: kingofdequeen on June 30, 2014, 02:35:02 pm
I think he's awesome in baseball, but a lot of that is due to his being opposite Sunshine.

Blake Eddins for all things broadcast.  golf.  swimming.  quizbowl.  everything.

Blake's a hoot, good "color" guy.

jacobp

Its a shame. Stepping down from what he was best at. Going to miss listening to Chuck call a baseball game.

Razorback7281

Quote from: jacobp on June 30, 2014, 02:51:26 pm
Its a shame. Stepping down from what he was best at. Going to miss listening to Chuck call a baseball game.

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 16, 2015, 08:55:43 pmgurantee I'm smarter then you..but that's not saying much.
Quote from: talley on September 17, 2015, 09:53:38 am
you misspelled "Guarantee" while trying to talk about how smart you are.  Epic Fail.
Quote from: Lanny on October 16, 2015, 07:37:58 am
Good job everyone except Faldon.

SPAL

The_Iceman

Dr. Starcs

Seriously? I didnt think my joke was that bad. Especially compared to some of the other stuff allowed to be posted. Message received I guess. Sheesh.

Scott Marshall

Chuck Barrett, the Voice of the Razorbacks, has decided to step away from his baseball play-by-play duties after 23 seasons. Barrett, will still handle play-by-play responsibilities for both football and men's basketball, broadcasted all three Razorback sports for the past seven years as well as served as Razorback Athletics' Director of Broadcasting.

Barrett began his affiliation with Razorback Athletics in 1992 when he was hired to be the baseball play-by-play announcer. Barrett has been behind the microphone for every season of Razorback Baseball since Arkansas entered the Southeastern Conference. During that span, Barrett has called more than 1,250 games including some of the most memorable moments in Razorback Baseball history. During his span as a baseball broadcaster, Arkansas has made three College World Series appearances, 17 NCAA Tournament appearances and won two SEC regular season and four SEC Western division championships.

"It has been an honor and a privilege to broadcast Razorback Baseball for more than two decades," Barrett said. "I have enjoyed watching the Razorback baseball program grow from its early stages in the SEC to the national prominence it now enjoys. I am appreciative to Coach Norm DeBriyn, Coach Dave Van Horn, the hundreds of Razorback players and all those associated with Razorback Baseball who helped make the past 23 years so enjoyable. I also owe my thanks to the various baseball broadcasting partners I have had through the years including Rick Schaeffer and Mike Nail. But most of all I am thankful to the Razorback Baseball fans who have tuned in night after night to follow their beloved Razorbacks.

"And while I have truly enjoyed each and every of the past 23 season, I decided it was time for me to step away from the baseball broadcasts. I sincerely appreciate the University of Arkansas and IMG working together to create a new role that will allow me to continue my affiliation with the Razorbacks as the play-by-play broadcaster for football and men's basketball."

Barrett will become an employee of IMG College, the University of Arkansas' multi-media rights partner while continuing his work with the Razorback Sports Network. In addition to his football and men's basketball play-by-play duties, Barrett will continue to host the football (The Bret Bielema Show) and men's basketball (Full Court Press with Mike Anderson) television shows as well as weekly radio shows On the Air with Bret Bielema and Mike'd Up with Mike Anderson. Barrett will also serve as the host of various other Razorback Sports Network programming.

"We are grateful to Chuck for his extraordinary work with Razorback Baseball for the past 23 seasons," Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics Jeff Long said. "Chuck is a native Arkansan and loves the Razorbacks. For generations of fans around the state, Chuck has been the voice to describe some of the most memorable moments in Razorback history. He does an outstanding job and we look forward to his continued work in football and men's basketball as well as on our coaches' shows."

Barrett, who has been named Arkansas Sportscaster of the Year three times, originally hails from Clarksville, Ark., and has been part of Razorback football radio broadcasts for 20 years in a variety of roles. He became the play-by-play voice of the Arkansas men's basketball team at the start of the 2010-11 season, replacing Mike Nail who held the position for 29 years.

Barrett has been a staple on the air in Arkansas, including serving as a radio talk show host for Citadel Broadcasting for 15 years. Barrett has been a staple on the air in Arkansas, including serving as a radio talk show host for Citadel Broadcasting for 15 years. IMG College, in consultation with the University of Arkansas, will commence a national search for the position.

ucahogfan

I vote for Phil Elson to replace him.  I don't know if he is still Voice of the Travs, but I remember a couple of years ago when Chuck first began broadcasting basketball, Phil stepped in and did a couple of baseball games and he was excellent.

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 30, 2014, 03:30:25 pm
I vote for Phil Elson to replace him.  I don't know if he is still Voice of the Travs, but I remember a couple of years ago when Chuck first began broadcasting basketball, Phil stepped in and did a couple of baseball games and he was excellent.
Seems like a step down for him. I think his long range goal is an MLB job.

cosmodrum

I can take him or leave him in football/basketball, but he's one of the best in baseball. His delivery, use of terminology, and timing are fantastic.

Also, as KoD said, Eddins for EVERYTHING.
Go away, batin'

Wayne Watson

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 30, 2014, 03:11:40 pm
This is horrible news.

This! ^  Chuck is great at calling a baseball game!
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

ucahogfan

I can see Chuck's replacement right now:

cosmodrum

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 30, 2014, 04:10:41 pm
I can see Chuck's replacement right now:

Nah, can't say GD on the air...
Go away, batin'

trippigs

I would classify Chuck as one of the best there is at college baseball.....shame we are losing him. Baseball has always seemed his first love so his dropping it is surprising. No doubt it is a stretch to do baseball, basketball and football so maybe he needs some relief. I think dropping baseball is less disruptive to the program than the others so maybe this has something to do with it. Hope the new person is good.

Hawgey-Davidson

I first got wind of this in MMQB as this is where I generally hop on to start and work my way thru so I posted my sentiments there first.
Chuck is the best in all of college baseball. Hate to lose him in this capacity. Its been several years back, but I think he had aspirations to do MLB, Stl Cardinals to be specific if it ever presented itself. Not many college programs have had the luxury of having what we have had in our broadcast booths. No Chuck doing Hog baseball? There is more to this story to come.

Knot2brite

I can only imagine the replacement. When Chuck doesn't do the games the replacement broadcasters are sooooo hard to listen to. Half the time they don't know the names of OUR players. Chuck was the best at filling dead air with something associated with baseball. The replacements fill dead air with worthlessness or nervous stammering. I would rather he drop basketball.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

onebadrubi

Quote from: cosmodrum on June 30, 2014, 03:45:00 pm
I can take him or leave him in football/basketball, but he's one of the best in baseball. His delivery, use of terminology, and timing are fantastic.

Also, as KoD said, Eddins for EVERYTHING.

I agree with this

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Wow! This is not good news. Very surprising. I've spent some time around Chuck and he's a great guy and all, but he IS THE VOICE of Razorback Baseball. Really enjoyed listening to Chuck. Dang! Real bummer!

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

PorcineSublime

Will be missed greatly. Hope they find someone to replace him that can call a game half as well as he can. Don't think I can remember when he didn't call Razorback games.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

BadDogGHSDogPound

June 30, 2014, 09:36:50 pm #23 Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 09:51:37 pm by BadDogGHSDogPound
I'm sorry, but the Powers that be on the HILL have lost touch with the fan base once again. I understand the grind doing all three sports, but take Chuck out of basketball! Chuck Barrett is Razorback Baseball before he was anything else and that's what he's best at! Chuck had as much to do with Razorback Baseball becoming a State Wide sport as the team did winning! If Chuck hadn't called that Brady Toops Grand Slam and all the calls since then, Razorback Baseball would not have become the State Wide sport it has. For some sort of deal not to have been reached for him to remain in the Baseball broadcast position over all the others to this fan, is a travesty.
2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2017, 2018, 2020, 2023 State Football Champions Greenwood Bulldogs. Follow The Bulldogs On www.GreenwoodDogPound.com

Ironhawg

JonClaudeVanHam

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently." - Nietzsche

ClearEyes

Chuck is getting remarried and is moving to Florida.  He did not want. Commute back and forth for baseball so he cut back.  He will fly in to do football games and will live in Fayetteville only for basketball season. He wants to enjoy the Florida spring and summer so good for him.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: BadDogGHSDogPound on June 30, 2014, 09:36:50 pm
I'm sorry, but the Powers that be on the HILL have lost touch with the fan base once again. I understand the grind doing all three sports, but take Chuck out of basketball! Chuck Barrett is Razorback Baseball before he was anything else and that's what he's best at! Chuck had as much to do with Razorback Baseball becoming a State Wide sport as the team did winning! If Chuck hadn't called that Brady Toops Grand Slam and all the calls since then, Razorback Baseball would not have become the State Wide sport it has. For some sort of deal not to have been reached for him to remain in the Baseball broadcast position over all the others to this fan, is a travesty.

So, in your opinon, the PTB on the HILL made this call?

bp

ricepig

Quote from: BorderPatrol on July 01, 2014, 08:34:34 am
So, in your opinon, the PTB on the HILL made this call?

bp

From what I've read, the PTB in Florida made this call........

Kevin

Quote from: ClearEyes on July 01, 2014, 01:56:19 am
Chuck is getting remarried and is moving to Florida.  He did not want. Commute back and forth for baseball so he cut back.  He will fly in to do football games and will live in Fayetteville only for basketball season. He wants to enjoy the Florida spring and summer so good for him.

if this is the case, then get a new person for all sports.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ricepig

Quote from: Kevin on July 01, 2014, 09:29:33 am

I would prefer our PBP guy live in Arkansas, if not Fayetteville.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: ricepig on July 01, 2014, 09:55:04 am
I would prefer our PBP guy live in Arkansas, if not Fayetteville.

Not that I disagree, but why is this important? From what I understand, he will still be living in Arkansas during the football and basketball seasons. Seems like he has two homes.

bp

ricepig

Quote from: BorderPatrol on July 01, 2014, 11:52:00 am
Not that I disagree, but why is this important? From what I understand, he will still be living in Arkansas during the football and basketball seasons. Seems like he has two homes.

bp

What I read said basketball season, and would commute during football. I just feel it would give one a pulse on the fans, be available for anything impromptu, and just give an overall better picture. Heck, I'm old school, I remember when they all were the sportscaster for Channel 7.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: ricepig on July 01, 2014, 12:19:45 pm
What I read said basketball season, and would commute during football. I just feel it would give one a pulse on the fans, be available for anything impromptu, and just give an overall better picture. Heck, I'm old school, I remember when they all were the sportscaster for Channel 7.

Fair enough, but I dont really think it is necessary to be in state to get a feel of the fans, especially with social media now these days.

But, like I said, I don't necessarily disagree. I am of the old school, too, I guess. I also remember when all worked for THE state's news station, Channel 7.

bp

ricepig

Quote from: BorderPatrol on July 01, 2014, 12:46:58 pm
Fair enough, but I dont really think it is necessary to be in state to get a feel of the fans, especially with social media now these days.

But, like I said, I don't necessarily disagree. I am of the old school, too, I guess. I also remember when all worked for THE state's news station, Channel 7.

bp

Well, I wouldn't put my trust in this site or Twitter for my feel, but I think it just makes more sense in my thought process to live her. I wonder how many other PBP guys for top teams fly in for the weekend?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: BadDogGHSDogPound on June 30, 2014, 09:36:50 pm
This was not an athletic department decision. It was a Chuck Barrett decision.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Kevin on July 01, 2014, 09:29:33 am
Clearly Jeff Long valued Chuck enough to let him stay under his own terms.

snoblind

Quote from: kingofdequeen on June 30, 2014, 02:35:02 pm

I like Eddins.

Dr. Starcs

Apparently it was an athletic department decision to allow him to set his terms.

Hawgey-Davidson

Hard to believe that folks think you have to live in a specific place to do a specific job. I hated living in Tulsa in the late 90's because of lack of Razorback coverage and I was 90 miles away. Things have changed. How many people these days work from home? Alot I bet due to IT. I used to read the newspaper everyday without fail. I havent got newspaper ink on my hands in years.

ricepig

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on July 02, 2014, 05:05:17 pm
Hard to believe that folks think you have to live in a specific place to do a specific job. I hated living in Tulsa in the late 90's because of lack of Razorback coverage and I was 90 miles away. Things have changed. How many people these days work from home? Alot I bet due to IT. I used to read the newspaper everyday without fail. I havent got newspaper ink on my hands in years.

I guess he should stay in Florida and call the games from the TV feed.

Hawgey-Davidson

Quote from: ricepig on July 02, 2014, 05:11:01 pm
I guess he should stay in Florida and call the games from the TV feed.
As long as its not Razorvision m

BigSexyHog

Guess he finally got tired of the program being set back 10 years and all the terrorists
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Kevin

He is now an img employee. Bet they will give him opportunities to call other games besides hog games
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Ray Piggers

I'm basically Darkwing Duck