Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - Bielema Will Be Right Fit for Arkansas Only if He Wins

Started by Robert Shields, June 30, 2014, 11:08:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BorderPatrol

Quote from: GuvHog on June 30, 2014, 11:17:03 am
Actually for once, he's absolutely correct.

This should tell everyone everything they need to know about this "article".

I just come to these threads to see the awesome .Gifs....

bp

Ex-Trumpet

"As a former Outstanding Student of Economics at the UA..."

Ok, made me laugh...this is several articles in a row that you've made me laugh!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

The_Iceman

Pork Twain

Quote from: GuvHog on June 30, 2014, 11:17:03 am
Actually for once, he's absolutely correct.
Enough said...

Seriously though winning makes most coaches a good fit and losing makes most coaches a bad fit.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Robert Shields on June 30, 2014, 11:08:06 am
It's quite clear to anyone who is paying attention that Bielema does not fit culturally in the SEC.

Robert, this is the perfect example of what is wrong with your writing style. In almost every post, you make a statement like this - which causes anyone who is paying attention to stop and wonder whether your mother was a hamster.

What the heck does "fit culturally" mean, anyway? How was James Franklin a "cultural fit" for the SEC? He was brash as hell. And oh by the way, Franklin also recruited better than anyone ever has at Vanderbilt. He made the football team more relevant than it had ever been. Franklin hired way over his head, too, great staff. I don't give a crap about how Franklin fit into the so-called SEC culture.

How the Frank does Nick Saban fit into the SEC culture? He was born in West Virginia, which borders an SEC state I guess. A basketball state. Also borders Big Ten and ACC states. Saban never coached in the SEC until he got the LSU head coaching job. What made Saban fit the SEC? Coaching at two schools that recruit themselves, then doing a great job of building his staff and managing his programs.

Danny Ford was a better cultural fit than Saban is. So was Mike DuBose. Not a brilliant way to select a football coach.
[CENSORED]!

scootriteby

Two things:

Robert's quote: "The much larger question is if Bielema gets to stay at Arkansas after the coming season."CBB could go winless in conference again and still have his job. Of course, most message boards would go supernova.

His second quote: "Few of us are original thinkers in certain areas."Certainly applies to you in your supposed reporting pieces.

EulessHog

Mr Shields, you are one of the few posters on here that is not afraid to speak his mind in the face of almost constant criticism.  Should the Hogs have a third three win season (just having two wins is even possible), I wonder how the BB poster boys will react.   

I was joking with my brother that realism is considered negativity to the extreme here on Hogville.  I sincerely hope you continue to bless Hogville with your insight. 

Seriously, the Hogs have just as good (or better of) a chance winning two or three games as they do winning four or five games.  The only place they will go bowling is at the Pleasure Lanes.

We are stuck with BB for the present.  That doesn't mean we must sew our lips shut and close our minds to what may have been or what might take place.  Do I hope the Hogs have a good season?

Absolutely!

Do I think they will?

Sadly, the competition seems to have a lot more going for them.

Go Hogs Go!

sportster365

Quote from: EulessHog on July 02, 2014, 02:06:17 am
Mr Shields, you are one of the few posters on here that is not afraid to speak his mind in the face of almost constant criticism.  Should the Hogs have a third three win season (just having two wins is even possible), I wonder how the BB poster boys will react.   

I was joking with my brother that realism is considered negativity to the extreme here on Hogville.  I sincerely hope you continue to bless Hogville with your insight. 

Seriously, the Hogs have just as good (or better of) a chance winning two or three games as they do winning four or five games.  The only place they will go bowling is at the Pleasure Lanes.

We are stuck with BB for the present.  That doesn't mean we must sew our lips shut and close our minds to what may have been or what might take place.  Do I hope the Hogs have a good season?

Absolutely!

Do I think they will?

Sadly, the competition seems to have a lot more going for them.

Some say the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Which sort of falls in line with the round hole, square peg saying. It's really hard to go all in when the results from this Spring looks similar to what we saw in the 2013 season.

The defense appears to have improved and that's a start, but for most the focus is on the offense and rightfully so. Offense should be priority #1. Establish a stable system there first and you can always build on the defense from then on.

The_Iceman

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on June 30, 2014, 11:25:32 am
Umm, no, Bielema is here next year, and more than likely a minimum of two more.

Not if he goes 3-9 this year. The PTB won't tolerate the possibility of a 4th losing season in a row so if that happens, immense pressure will be put on Jeff Long to cut CBB loose.

That being said, I believe they'll do better than 3-9.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

BorderPatrol

Quote from: GuvHog on July 02, 2014, 10:56:19 am
Not if he goes 3-9 this year. The PTB won't tolerate the possibility of a 4th losing season in a row so if that happens, immense pressure will be put on Jeff Long to cut CBB loose.

Let me guess, you phoned a friend?

bp

Ex-Trumpet

His record will not dictate his presence next year; he will be here...unless he Sandusky's us.

Now, the year after next is certainly dependent on this year's record--and his recruiting classes!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

ricepig

No it won't, nice try though.

HoopS

Quote from: Pickwick Hog on June 30, 2014, 12:03:26 pm
"The much larger question is if Bielema gets to stay at Arkansas after the coming season".

that's the exact point at which I woke up and stopped reading. 

majestic

Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

FelixJonesorDMAC?

I'm not gonna lie, I get entertainment with RS posts whether I agree or not but the first thing I do is scroll down for the Didn't read Gifs and Memes.  Love everything about his posts because I get good laughs from RS and the posters.  Without RS I wouldn't get the great Didn't Read GIFs

The_Iceman

Quote from: HoopS on July 02, 2014, 11:36:32 am
that's the exact point at which I woke up and stopped reading. 

I stopped reading at "From...."

thefisher

Fleetwood Mac Lyrics That RS Never Understood

Thunder only happens when it's raining, Players only love you when they're playing - Fleetwood Mac, Dreams
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

WashUhog6

The title is a massive case of stating the obvious, but sometimes the simple, obvious explanations fit best. Bielema has so many qualities that make him fit at Arkansas, but none of that matters if he loses. People go back and forth talking about fit when the bottom line is, and always has been, about the wins (provided you don't pull a Petrino).

I know this: I'm not the biggest fan of Bielema, but I'd like nothing more than to win big under a coach the nation's fans dislike. Think about how fun that would be, especially when/if it happens.

tbhogfan

Go Hogs!

VBHOG

Quote from: Robert Shields on June 30, 2014, 11:08:06 am

I go back to the time after beating Ole Miss when Houston Nutt spoke his infamous quote, "I called that play, Chuck." He was obviously excited and I think for once he had been ahead of the opposing coach. He knew what Ed Orgeron was going to do before Ed did and that felt great.

You mean the play that Casey Dick called an audible?

dcrback

Didn't read past 'From the Bench'.  Only came to read the cool responses!  Carry on... ;D
Life is simpler when you plow around the stumps...and yes, I would have sold guns to the Indians!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: dcrback on July 03, 2014, 12:08:08 pm
Didn't read past 'From the Bench'.  Only came to read the cool responses!  Carry on... ;D

That was a cool response......................... :D
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The_Iceman

Quote from: dcrback on July 03, 2014, 12:08:08 pm

Same here, except you got past "From"  ;D