Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - Bielema Will Be Right Fit for Arkansas Only if He Wins

Started by Robert Shields, June 30, 2014, 11:08:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

Bielema Will Be Right Fit for Arkansas Only if He Wins

Robert Shields

Summer sports talk is always slow in SEC country where football is the only thing that really matters.

It was exciting for Vanderbilt's baseball team to vindicate the SEC when so many were blasting the conference for being overrated and having so many teams knocked out of the tournament early. Yet, in the end, an SEC team proved it was the best as usual.

But now that college baseball is over and we have more than a month before football teams begin two-a-day practices, some fans just have to find something to talk about to fill the time.

The recent soup du jour stirred up by an online column from MRSEC.com is the debate as to whether Bret Bielema is the right fit at Arkansas.

As much fun as it is to talk about, Bielema's "fit" at Arkansas is really an irrelevant question because you can be a bad fit and still win at Arkansas, which was the case with Bobby Petrino. Or you can be a great fit like Houston Nutt, but he had to go.

The much larger question is if Bielema gets to stay at Arkansas after the coming season. The only thing that matters is if he wins.

The caveat to that rule is you can't wreck your motorcycle with your girlfriend that you hired on the back of it and lie about it. For me, that was still not enough to fire him because I don't have any other delusion except that winning in the SEC is the only thing that matters. I left behind a long time ago that college sports is a business of integrity.

Razorback fans had to feel for a brief moment when Petrino was here that they were about to defy the gravity of the SEC and break the event horizon. But instead we all got sucked back into the depths of the black hole and compressed into something unrecognizable.

It's quite clear to anyone who is paying attention that Bielema does not fit culturally in the SEC. He's brash. He's very assuming and only as of late has he kept his mouth shut. If you want an opinion, he will give you one, and it may not be good.

The downside is that when you arrive and proclaim you came to beat Alabama and then get pummeled by Alabama 52-0, every other SEC coach makes sure they are not the first to lose to the new kid on the block that won't shut up about himself.

Here is a side prediction: Any SEC coach who loses to Bielema next year will be put on the hot seat at his school, and if Mark Richt at Georgia loses to Bielema in Little Rock it will be the beginning of the end for him.

Bielema is going to have to find a way to win and win soon. Winning brings money and that is the primary reason the UA wants to succeed in college football.

The Razorback Foundation is $10 million behind in donations for its last fiscal year. They had an explanation that it was caused by the expansion of facilities, yet it's still a scary fact for the UA if that trend continues. There has always been some sort of expansion going on somewhere at the Razorback Sports-Industrial Complex.

The football team still being in the midst of its longest losing streak with no SEC wins last year plus a lackluster Red-White game in the spring has not been inspiring for fans statewide, and it will be interesting how donations will be affected.

Money talks and if the team is not winning, not selling tickets, and donations are falling off, Bielema won't get to stay. It won't matter if he fits or not.

Bielema is going to have to find a way to at least make fans feel that the Razorback team will be competitive. Right now, that does not exist in many fans' minds. The team opens with Auburn on the road, which is a tough task to start the season.

Bielema needs to at least provide hope and the team needs to at a minimum find a moral victory. I believe in moral victories because sometimes you can still leave with pride after defeat.

Blowing a big lead in some obscure village in New Jersey last year to Rutgers was the exact opposite of a moral victory. It was a stunning defeat, which is difficult to overcome. The Razorbacks cannot suffer that kind of defeat again.

The MRSEC.com article points out the lackluster recruiting at Arkansas, which in Bielema's defense is commonplace since Arkansas arrived in the SEC. Arkansas is typically always in the lower half of the conference rankings when it comes to recruiting.

This means on average that the Razorbacks will probably have less depth and typically a slightly lower-caliber player. The question becomes, can Bielema win against his peers with slightly lesser talent.

Last year did not lead to that conclusion. In three games in the fourth quarter when the Hogs could have won against LSU, Rutgers, and Mississippi State, Bielema's teams found a way to lose all three.

I believe you can win at any school with any scheme if you have the right players and the right coach. And here is the test if Bielema is the right coach.

In life, most of us learn through memorization or mimicking what others do. Few of us are original thinkers in certain areas.

There are coaches who are successful because they are good mimickers and can take something that someone else did and make it better. They can recreate and they can be successful. Then there are those coaches who truly understand what they are doing and innovate to be successful.

As a former Outstanding Student of Economics at the UA, I see this all the time as people use statistics and know how to use the formula and do it correctly, but if pressed they don't know why you can use certain variables and why you cannot on others. They just know how to follow the rule without understanding why it exists.

Love or hate Nolan Richardson, he understood the whys of basketball. He knew what the other coach often was going to do before they knew what they were going to do and why. Nolan could just see the game in his head.

For Bielema to be successful at Arkansas, he also has to be that kind of coach who isn't just mimicking college football fundamentals and putting X here and O there because that is what the book says.

I go back to the time after beating Ole Miss when Houston Nutt spoke his infamous quote, "I called that play, Chuck." He was obviously excited and I think for once he had been ahead of the opposing coach. He knew what Ed Orgeron was going to do before Ed did and that felt great.

To succeed at Arkansas, Bielema will have to always be ahead of the opposing coaches with the scheme he is trying to implement, and that will determine if he is the right fit. He will have to call that play, Chuck.

Send your short list for the next Razorback football coach to fromthebench@yahoo.com

ricepig

The_Iceman

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

GuvHog

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hoggish1

Dr. Starcs

Mr. Shields, what you've just written... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Rockinghog

chitwnhog

It seems that RS trolls Hogville to find subject matter for his "column".

ricepig

Quote from: GuvHog on June 30, 2014, 11:17:03 am
Actually for once, he's absolutely correct.

Umm, no, Bielema is here next year, and more than likely a minimum of two more.

OTTER

BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

Pickwick Hog

"The much larger question is if Bielema gets to stay at Arkansas after the coming season".

Null and voids the possibility of there being a coherent thought in that diatribe.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

cosmodrum

As opposed to all those other coaches that would be a good fit if they lose.

Find another hobby.
Go away, batin'

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Robert Shields on June 30, 2014, 11:08:06 am

Robert Shields

Summer sports talk is always slow in SEC country where football is the only thing that really matters.

It was exciting for Vanderbilt's baseball team to vindicate the SEC when so many were blasting the conference for being overrated and having so many teams knocked out of the tournament early. Yet, in the end, an SEC team proved it was the best as usual.

But now that college baseball is over and we have more than a month before football teams begin two-a-day practices, some fans just have to find something to talk about to fill the time.

The recent soup du jour stirred up by an online column from MRSEC.com is the debate as to whether Bret Bielema is the right fit at Arkansas.

As much fun as it is to talk about, Bielema's "fit" at Arkansas is really an irrelevant question because you can be a bad fit and still win at Arkansas, which was the case with Bobby Petrino. Or you can be a great fit like Houston Nutt, but he had to go.

The much larger question is if Bielema gets to stay at Arkansas after the coming season. The only thing that matters is if he wins.

The caveat to that rule is you can't wreck your motorcycle with your girlfriend that you hired on the back of it and lie about it. For me, that was still not enough to fire him because I don't have any other delusion except that winning in the SEC is the only thing that matters. I left behind a long time ago that college sports is a business of integrity.

Razorback fans had to feel for a brief moment when Petrino was here that they were about to defy the gravity of the SEC and break the event horizon. But instead we all got sucked back into the depths of the black hole and compressed into something unrecognizable.

It's quite clear to anyone who is paying attention that Bielema does not fit culturally in the SEC. He's brash. He's very assuming and only as of late has he kept his mouth shut. If you want an opinion, he will give you one, and it may not be good.

The downside is that when you arrive and proclaim you came to beat Alabama and then get pummeled by Alabama 52-0, every other SEC coach makes sure they are not the first to lose to the new kid on the block that won't shut up about himself.

Here is a side prediction: Any SEC coach who loses to Bielema next year will be put on the hot seat at his school, and if Mark Richt at Georgia loses to Bielema in Little Rock it will be the beginning of the end for him.

Bielema is going to have to find a way to win and win soon. Winning brings money and that is the primary reason the UA wants to succeed in college football.

The Razorback Foundation is $10 million behind in donations for its last fiscal year. They had an explanation that it was caused by the expansion of facilities, yet it's still a scary fact for the UA if that trend continues. There has always been some sort of expansion going on somewhere at the Razorback Sports-Industrial Complex.

The football team still being in the midst of its longest losing streak with no SEC wins last year plus a lackluster Red-White game in the spring has not been inspiring for fans statewide, and it will be interesting how donations will be affected.

Money talks and if the team is not winning, not selling tickets, and donations are falling off, Bielema won't get to stay. It won't matter if he fits or not.

Bielema is going to have to find a way to at least make fans feel that the Razorback team will be competitive. Right now, that does not exist in many fans' minds. The team opens with Auburn on the road, which is a tough task to start the season.

Bielema needs to at least provide hope and the team needs to at a minimum find a moral victory. I believe in moral victories because sometimes you can still leave with pride after defeat.

Blowing a big lead in some obscure village in New Jersey last year to Rutgers was the exact opposite of a moral victory. It was a stunning defeat, which is difficult to overcome. The Razorbacks cannot suffer that kind of defeat again.

The MRSEC.com article points out the lackluster recruiting at Arkansas, which in Bielema's defense is commonplace since Arkansas arrived in the SEC. Arkansas is typically always in the lower half of the conference rankings when it comes to recruiting.

This means on average that the Razorbacks will probably have less depth and typically a slightly lower-caliber player. The question becomes, can Bielema win against his peers with slightly lesser talent.

Last year did not lead to that conclusion. In three games in the fourth quarter when the Hogs could have won against LSU, Rutgers, and Mississippi State, Bielema's teams found a way to lose all three.

I believe you can win at any school with any scheme if you have the right players and the right coach. And here is the test if Bielema is the right coach.

In life, most of us learn through memorization or mimicking what others do. Few of us are original thinkers in certain areas.

There are coaches who are successful because they are good mimickers and can take something that someone else did and make it better. They can recreate and they can be successful. Then there are those coaches who truly understand what they are doing and innovate to be successful.

As a former Outstanding Student of Economics at the UA, I see this all the time as people use statistics and know how to use the formula and do it correctly, but if pressed they don't know why you can use certain variables and why you cannot on others. They just know how to follow the rule without understanding why it exists.

Love or hate Nolan Richardson, he understood the whys of basketball. He knew what the other coach often was going to do before they knew what they were going to do and why. Nolan could just see the game in his head.

For Bielema to be successful at Arkansas, he also has to be that kind of coach who isn't just mimicking college football fundamentals and putting X here and O there because that is what the book says.

I go back to the time after beating Ole Miss when Houston Nutt spoke his infamous quote, "I called that play, Chuck." He was obviously excited and I think for once he had been ahead of the opposing coach. He knew what Ed Orgeron was going to do before Ed did and that felt great.

To succeed at Arkansas, Bielema will have to always be ahead of the opposing coaches with the scheme he is trying to implement, and that will determine if he is the right fit. He will have to call that play, Chuck.

Send your short list for the next Razorback football coach to fromthebench@yahoo.com
Bobby Shields=Mr. Totally Obvious.

PennHOG

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

LZH

MJ2

Ask yourself this - is CBB rewarded more for winning or for losing?   Then read his contract and ask the same question again.

PygmalionEffect

Robert Shields

Nice summary of what you and I read on Hogville last week Robert.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

ricepig

Dr. Starcs

cosmodrum

Robert Shields

Go away, batin'

GolfnHog

"It's quite clear to anyone who is paying attention that Bielema does not fit culturally in the SEC. He's brash. He's very assuming and only as of late has he kept his mouth shut. If you want an opinion, he will give you one, and it may not be good."

Guess I'm not a fit culturally either. I can be brash and if you ASK for an opinion, from me, I'll give it. I'm not looking for acceptance or validation from you once you ask for it.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

yraciv

Quote from: Hoggish1 on June 30, 2014, 11:17:57 am
Well, duh...

Kind of my thoughts! Didn't read either, but kind of thought the thread title said it all.  What D1 football coach isn't judged on wins and losses.

aar0n

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 30, 2014, 12:55:13 pm
-1 to everyone that re-posts his entire article

Agreed.  That's one of my pet-peeves, especially if the response is just a sentence or a couple words.

LZH

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 30, 2014, 12:55:13 pm
-1 to everyone that re-posts his entire article

Hee hee, yeah I was on my phone earlier and it takes five minutes just to scroll down.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on June 30, 2014, 03:13:31 pm
Hee hee, yeah I was on my phone earlier and it takes five minutes just to scroll down.

That's 5 minutes of your life lost, that you will never get back and you committed that to this article? ;)
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 30, 2014, 03:15:55 pm
That's 5 minutes of your life lost, that you will never get back and you committed that to this article? ;)

Well I thought it would be best to throw it in there.  After all, I have an obligation to all the folks who don't like me to give them plenty of ammo whenever I can.

sportster365

Good post Shields. Completely agree, although I'm not just sold on Nolan being able to predict what other coaches were going to do, but I do know he emphasized defense and recruited kids who fit the system he wanted. I think Nolan's one key niche was that he was going to out-run his opponents and therein lies much of his success.

But everything else you slammed. From the Vanderbilt victory to the Petrino/Nutt fit. Beleima's brash approach to the UofA excusing the $10m loss to the facility expansion was again imo head on or at least very logical thinking at best.

Being successful at any program that isn't a recruiting hotbed will generally take an Xs and Os type of coach. Fitting and not fitting is solely a matter of winning and not winning. As well as being able to afford a coach or no.

As for your side prediction, no coach or fanbase wants to lose to a team picked to finish last in there division/conference, but aside from Dan Mullen and maybe, just maybe Mark Richt.. I think everyone else is safe.

Hogwild

While I agree with a majority of what you wrote, your side bet is off base.  Saban, Miles, Sumlin, Freeze, Pinkel & Malzahn could all having losing seasons next year with losses to Bielema and would still be the head coach the following season.

As far as Richt he will probably win between 8-11 games, I doubt a loss to Arkansas would be the beginning of the end unless he already has a few SEC losses.  After playing us, UGA only road game is to Lexington, cocktail party and the final three games are in Athens.

zane

RIP LSUfan

Snouty

That's sort of like saying Bear Bryant Will Be Right Fit for Alabama Only if He Wins.

Mike Irwin

Name me a previous Razorback coach who was a good fit at Arkansas without winning. ???

tophawg19

i would be a great hire for the razorbacks as long as we were winning.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

BPsTheMan

Robert Shields

[attachment deleted by admin]

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Have y'all ever thought about having a benefit luncheon or golf tournament for this guy? He has to be one broke bastage with the career he has chose.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Pig Worshipper

Bielema Will Be Right Fit For Arkansas Only If He Wins

Good Lord, Robert! I was wrong when I called you Captain Obvious after a previous column. Captain Obvious is a piker next to you.

Jeff Daniels and Jim Carrey in Dumb And Dumber To are Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking compared to you, O Great One!

By the way, your interview with Lanny Beavers earlier this summer was actually worth the read. Why don't you do more interviews? Why not interview some of Hogville's favorite/most hated characters? I'd love it if you'd interview Fake Jeff Long.
You could title that one, "Fake Jeff Long Is NOT The Real Jeff Long"

thefisher

Quote from: cosmodrum on June 30, 2014, 12:06:17 pm

Find another hobby.

Here - Here! +1 Cosmo
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Psychohog

They must have had to burn down the schoolhouse to get this guy out of the 5th grade
Never smarten up a chump.

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: cosmodrum on June 30, 2014, 12:06:17 pm

Find another hobby.
The only coach I can think of where this might hold true would be the coach of the Washington Generals.

HogFanInBryant

I am typing this with an ice pick sticking out of both eyeballs after reading this retarded rant....is my spelling ok?

Al Boarland

Solid article, RS. It's not what we want to hear. The season is getting close and most of our questions will be answered. The part about not wanting to be the first coach to lose to CBB is very interesting and I hadn't thought of that.

Hogfaniam

AuthorTopic: From the Bench - Bielema Will Be Right Fit for Arkansas Only if He Wins

Well, no feces Francine.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

go hogues

Pot meet kettle.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Farrestor

King Of DeQueen's Brilliance:
Man of the Silver Mountain - Live in Munich - 1977 - youtube it.

it eventually rolls into a slow blues jam with Dio sounding incredible.  Blackmore just eff's around most the time, dazzling as always.