Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PG 8 for Omaha 2015

Started by ucahogfan, June 30, 2014, 09:36:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

Hogs don't make this one either, but reading his breakdown of each team, we should be every bit as good as the teams in his 8 IMO.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=10187

Kevin

i could have guessed 4 of his, without any research
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

WizardofhOgZ

What is stunning to me is that he not only left us out of his "8 for Omaha", but he also did not have us listed under his "next 10" or his 5 "possible surprises".

I respect Rodgers for the work he does in college baseball, but I just don't see any scenario (other than a rash of injuries, which can hit ANY team) that does not include us in the top 25.  In fact, I will be disappointed if we do not at least make it to a super regional next year, with what we have returning and are almost unscathed recruiting class.

I think we will be like Florida was a couple of years ago when they had that very highly rated recruiting class; they started off kind of slow, but around April they kicked it into gear and finished near the top of the conference.  That's how I see our season unfolding.  We should be peaking right as post-season play begins.

jry04

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on June 30, 2014, 11:35:31 am
What is stunning to me is that he not only left us out of his "8 for Omaha", but he also did not have us listed under his "next 10" or his 5 "possible surprises".

I respect Rodgers for the work he does in college baseball, but I just don't see any scenario (other than a rash of injuries, which can hit ANY team) that does not include us in the top 25.  In fact, I will be disappointed if we do not at least make it to a super regional next year, with what we have returning and are almost unscathed recruiting class.

I think we will be like Florida was a couple of years ago when they had that very highly rated recruiting class; they started off kind of slow, but around April they kicked it into gear and finished near the top of the conference.  That's how I see our season unfolding.  We should be peaking right as post-season play begins.

Same thing with Florida this year. They lost some games in non-conference that they shouldn't have, and weren't even top 25 when we played them. They end up finishing the season as a candidate for the #1 overall seed.

ucahogfan

Quote from: jry04 on June 30, 2014, 09:14:48 pm
Same thing with Florida this year. They lost some games in non-conference that they shouldn't have, and weren't even top 25 when we played them. They end up finishing the season as a candidate for the #1 overall seed.
And Florida is probably bringing in the #1 class when you consider the draft yet again.  They have a whole lot of players returning and should be really good again.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 30, 2014, 09:17:00 pm
And Florida is probably bringing in the #1 class when you consider the draft yet again.  They have a whole lot of players returning and should be really good again.

There are ALWAYS going to be several very talented and good teams in the SEC in any given year.  At the same time, I believe you have to review the coaches and programs that are the most consistent, year in and year out.  I think DVH has taken our program to the level where it is a mistake to not consider them one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the conference going into the season - along with LSU, S. Carolina and Florida.  Ole Miss, MSU, A&M, Alabama, Kentucky . . . heck, just about any of the other teams pop up and down from time to time, but those top four seem to always be there the last decade.

Now, you give Van Horn some front line talent - something he usually doesn't have quite as much of as those other 3 - and let him avoid the injury bug that hit us in some key areas this year . . . and look out.

To me, really the largest question mark is who will step forward among our young pitchers.  But with the talent we have, and Jorn, I'm confident we will be OK there.  And we will be better offensively.